Ainge misses out on another superstar, overrated GM

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,442

Re: Ainge misses out on another superstar, overrated GM 

Post#61 » by Saint Lazarus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:59 am

Celtics getting exposed again on the general board. They gotta blow it up and tank!
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#62 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:02 am

But how do the respective teams rank in terms of lawn signs?

(Sorry, GBers. That's another Current Affairs joke.)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,246

Post#63 » by TheMartian » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:06 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
StojkoVrankovic wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:At some point, Ainge needs to be called out for his lack of action to acquire a premiere all star. He has missed out on PG, KL, AD, Harden, CP3, Im running out of fingers to keep it counting.

Ainge problem is he is too emotionally attached to this assets, sometimes you just need to let it go in order to go for the ring. Right now, they are capped out as a ECF round team not having enough stars to move on.

He will be a case study on missed opportunities by a GM.

Stop trying so hard

We have Tatum/Brown locked up long term and are currently one of the best teams in the east without our allstar PG.

But sure, we could have traded Brown for someone who doesn't want to play here. Sounds like a great GM

People completely ignore the fact Brown and Tatum are averaging 55 points a game so far in 10 games. :D I'm happy Danny stayed away from Harden. The guy I really wanted was Davis, but he didn't wanna be here, so it is what it was.

Stop making too much sense, bros. It hurts the OP's agenda.
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,442

Post#64 » by Saint Lazarus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:10 am

FNQ wrote:
SMTBSI wrote:Bottom line: if we made all the moves RealGM has critiqued us for not making over the years, we'd be deep in a rebuild right now.

:lol: exactly

GB is just a place to have hot takes, and only remember the times you were right.. 99% of the time if you aren't a fan of the team and you're trying to make some in-depth critique, you've got no idea whats going on :dontknow:

Like I dont think the Nets are favorites or even that strong of contenders right now.. but if a Nets fan breaks down why they think the Nets are, and its not just some homer hogwash, probably oughta give that person a listen. But the C's fans have had it so bad because of Ainge and very few of the proposed deals would have worked out.. all because Ainge gave himself a ton of picks and ammo to work with, which is what every fan here seems to want - to tinker with a franchise like its NBA2K, and have an elite 99 rated team of all players under 25

Celtics really do be living rent free in the GB’s head. The first thing that happens after the Harden trade goes down is criticism of Ainge even though we weren’t even the top 2 suitors for him :lol:
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
noreaster23
Sophomore
And1: 236

Post#65 » by noreaster23 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:13 am

The disdain for Ainge on this board is strong. Fact is the Celtics will be a top 4 team in the East for many, many years to come, and that leaves me very happy. Really as Tatum and Brown improve, it will only take 1 FA signing or trade to win a championship. It's clear people around the league are wary of getting fleeced by Ainge. Not all of Ainge's plans have worked out, and his drafting has been so-so. But he's positioned the Celtics really well for the next decade by drafting two cornerstones that will both be in the Top 20 in a few years (Tatum is already there).

Great things Ainge has done:

-Hired Brad Stevens
-Traded aging Pierce+KG for picks
-Traded FRP for IT
-Drafted Brown #3
-Swapped Picks with Phi (lol)
-Drafted Tatum #3
-Traded IT+FRP+Pile of Crap for Kyrie
-Made Boston a free agent destination (Kemba and Horford signed wtih BOS in FA)

So, yea, maybe he didn't make another trade for a superstar that has brought the Celtics another championship, but he's far from exposed, and I think many teams would LOVE to be in Boston's position.
NotAKnicksFan
Senior
And1: 542

Post#66 » by NotAKnicksFan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:15 am

Im not sure i get it

Jaylen brown avg 26 ppg and is getting better, and plays defense.

Now that harden is on the nets, how much is he really going to avg having to share the ball with Kyrie and KD, His assists are going to go down too.

I dont think Harden - Kyrie - KD is a good fit, it really doesnt make alot of sense the way harden plays, he wants the ball in his hands, and kyrie needs the ball in his hands, kd also wants iso touches. This wont work
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#67 » by Han Solo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:19 am

Ainge gets too much hate. Tatum and Brown may be the duo with the most upside in the league. They haven’t mortgaged their future either. Both are still very young. A lot of time left to build a legit contender over there.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#68 » by Leslie Forman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:20 am

Not listening to some morons online and sticking with Brown and Tatum is the best thing Ainge has done in his career.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#69 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:26 am

So anyway -- is Houston going to make a serious attempt to keep Oladipo, or do they envision flipping him?

More generally, what's the point of taking him rather then Levert?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#70 » by LakersSoul » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:28 am

Warriorfan wrote:Check the standings Celtics are young and seem ok.

Nothing wrong with Celtics.

They are a good team with good stars and all their assets to make a move if necessary. They just are not in the top 5 discussion and unless they get extremely hot, they will not win another banner in the near future. But who knows what Ainge has in store after 3-5 years.

The problem with the Harden trade is that he is a top notch superstar but his warts and he ended up in the East. Celtics are going to be underdog against top 3 teams in the East now.

Nets
Bucks
Miami
76ers
Celtics

That’s a tough road to win the ECF. Ainge has a good team just not one able to dominate and win a banner while the rival Lakers are still the favorites (serious contenders) to win for the next few years.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
Tai
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,240

Post#71 » by Tai » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:32 am

_qubik wrote:Maybe Ainge will make Tatum and Brown all time greats, because they ain't getting help anytime soon :lol:

So, they will need to be enought to win. Don't even start typing that Kemba is a great third star and all. Ainge has missed a lot of opportunities to build a freaking super team in the molds of the KD version of GSW, they had young guys on rookie deals with a lot of talent and even playoff experience, assets and salaries to make big trades. They are good, I dont like the Celtics, dont want them to suceed, but I give them credit, they are good now, but if they had a better GM they could even better now, and for the future too.

On the bolded:

>Literally all-star game last season, supposed to come back in a week at worst
>"Don't even start typing about him"

Read on Twitter

I dunno, maybe wait and see how he looks once back before writing him off? :lol:

And FWIW, I the only player I really wished Danny got and didn't was Paul George, cause he wanted to stay in Boston (supposedly anyway). That said, a "better" GM would have done what? Traded for a guy like Kawhi and AD who had adamantly said they wanted to go to LA and... wait for it....ended up going to LA? Even Paul George after a detour in OKC ended up in LA. And we're out said star AND Brown or Tatum (along with whatever else we gave up)?

I will say, the TPE will be interesting. That's where I'd see fair criticism if Danny doesn't handle that right. But trading for guys who didn't want to be here, especially someone radioactive like Harden? Yeaa I'm good.
smartyz456 wrote:oh i am a laker fan for life

i'm just gonna be a warrior fan until lebron leaves the lakers

true laker fans don't root for lebron

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1728641
Tai
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by Tai » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:38 am

LakersSoul wrote:

They are a good team with good stars and all their assets to make a move if necessary. They just are not in the top 5 discussion and unless they get extremely hot, they will not win another banner in the near future. But who knows what Ainge has in store after 3-5 years.

The problem with the Harden trade is that he is a top notch superstar but his warts and he ended up in the East. Celtics are going to be underdog against top 3 teams in the East now.

Nets
Bucks
Miami
76ers
Celtics

That’s a tough road to win the ECF. Ainge has a good team just not one able to dominate and win a banner while the rival Lakers are still the favorites (serious contenders) to win for the next few years.

Why are the Celtics underdogs against the Sixers? You did say 3 teams; was that a miss type having them under the Sixers?

TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,229

Post#73 » by TheSheriff » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:43 am

Tai wrote:
LakersSoul wrote:

Nets
Bucks
Miami
76ers
Celtics

Why are the Celtics underdogs against the Sixers? You did say 3 teams; was that a miss type having them under the Sixers?

Considering what the Celtics did to the Sixers last year, it must be a typographical error.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,826

Post#74 » by SK21209 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:43 am

PG, Kawhi and AD all said they only wanted to be in LA and that’s where they eventually went. Yeah, in hindsight you probably trade for Kawhi and maybe win it all in 2019 but that’s more because KD got hurt.

I think they just didn’t want Harden. People need to stop thinking about Boston as fringe contender that’s not quite good enough as is and start thinking about them as a team on the rise with two young stars and years of contention ahead of them. I don’t see people giving the Nuggets **** for not trading for any of these distressed stars.
Tai
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by Tai » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:44 am

SK21209 wrote:PG, Kawhi and AD all said they only wanted to be in LA and that’s where they eventually went. Yeah, in hindsight you probably trade for Kawhi and maybe win it all in 2019 but that’s more because KD got hurt.

I think they just didn’t want Harden. People need to stop thinking about Boston as fringe contender that’s not quite good enough as is and start thinking about them as a team on the rise with two young stars and years of contention ahead of them. I don’t see people giving the Nuggets **** for not trading for any of these distressed stars.

Or the Sixers not wanting to give up Maxey for Harden.

Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,266

Post#76 » by Nuntius » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:01 am

I do think that Ainge overvalues his players a lot and asks too much in trade negotiations but I can't blame him for anything here. Harden never indicated that he wanted to go to Boston and even if he did, I wouldn't trade for Harden if I was in his position.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,313

Post#77 » by Infinite Llamas » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:29 am

The issue is that with all these stars who want out, who do they always ask for? Brown or Tatum.

Which is a steep price. Especially what you consider what these guys are actually traded for.

George gets traded for Oladipo and young Sabonis
Kawhi gets traded for DeRozan
AD gets traded for Ingram/Ball
Butler got traded for...Covington?
Harden gets traded for Oladipo

Now Jaylen wasn’t as good then as he is now but I think it’s laughable that the Celtics are always expected to give up a franchise guy when (aside from the AD trade) the team trading the superstar always accepts far less in return.

Teams only want to win a deal with Ainge and the only way to do that is to pry Jaylen or Jayson away, which Ainge would be stupid to do.

I’ll lock Ainge for not finding a way to get potential DPOY Turner but I won’t fault him for sticking by his two stars as their potential is really starting to pay off.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
IgorK
Veteran
And1: 4,786

Post#78 » by IgorK » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:41 am

reload141 wrote:
DroseReturnChi wrote:
IgorK wrote:Tatum + Brown is a better bet for the next 10 years than Harden for the next 3.

As much as I despise Ainge, passing on old superstars in favor of continuing to develop terrific young core is not a fault but a strength.

So what? they arent winning anything for the next 3yr~~5yrs. The east is stacked and celtics are not even contenders anymore.
you had unlimited frps and wasted it all on useless prospects. could have gotten at least 2 of those superstars and won it all without sacrificing the core.

Man... this gets said every year and then you look back at the facts and see the Celtics have gone to the ECF 3 out of last 4 years with Tatum and Brown who are 22 and 24.

I'm just quoting this to make sure he sees this. Conference finalists in the last 3 of 4 years. Most teams would kill for that. 2 of those 3 times they were ousted by LeBron James. They got a bright future ahead of them without gutting their roster & chemistry they built up carefully over the last few years.
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe

AMG
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,332

Post#79 » by HoopsterJones » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:50 am

I think trading Tatum or Brown would be a mistake at this juncture. The current Celtics core is pretty much what it’s going to be right now for the next 4 years with Tatum, Brown and Kemba all locked into contracts. (They may be able to add a piece using the TPE). It may or may not lead to a championship but the Celtics will be a top 3-4 seed at the minimum in the EC as currently constructed and they stay healthy.

Ainge did have a bunch of draft picks other than Tatum and Brown that in my opinion did not lead to anything worthwhile. That is the only thing I would criticize him for.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#80 » by Metallikid » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:53 am

Pharmcat wrote:At some point, Ainge needs to be called out for his lack of action to acquire a premiere all star. He has missed out on PG, KL, AD, Harden, CP3, Im running out of fingers to keep it counting.

Ainge problem is he is too emotionally attached to this assets, sometimes you just need to let it go in order to go for the ring. Right now, they are capped out as a ECF round team not having enough stars to move on.

He will be a case study on missed opportunities by a GM.

They were capped out at the ECF last year, now they won't even get that far. Bucks and Nets clearly better.

They could have gotten it done for Brown, filler and picks. Ainge is a moron.

Return to The General Board