ImageImageImage

Trade-Jarrett Allen?

Moderator: ijspeelman

Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Trade-Jarrett Allen? 

Post#1 » by Harper4Ferry? » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:44 pm

Anyone got more details on Exum for Allen/Prince as part of the Harden Deal?
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Trade-Jarrett Allen? 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:46 pm

Allen and Prince for Exum Bucks 22 1st.
Allen is FA next summer so this is a flier imo and Prince under contract next season helps out defense
I am guessing this means 1 big is def getting moved at the DL
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#3 » by Harper4Ferry? » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:47 pm

I like Allen a lot.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#4 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:48 pm

Stillwater wrote:Allen and Prince for Exum Bucks 22 1st.
Allen is FA next summer so this is a flier imo and Prince under contract next season helps out defense

I think this means that Drummond is on the way out and they'd rather try and resign Allen who will be a lot more reasonable to retain. What type of contract do you think he'll get? Probably in the 12-17/yr range?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 pm

Revenged25 wrote:

I think this means that Drummond is on the way out and they'd rather try and resign Allen who will be a lot more reasonable to retain. What type of contract do you think he'll get? Probably in the 12-17/yr range?

Not sure what kind of deal he deserves tbh but I am guessing if they dont trade Dre or at least move Javalle then Allen wont get the run he wants here and will look to bail unless they overpay which tbh they might want to consider doing because his ability is just scratching the surface despite already being in the league a bit.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#6 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:55 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Not sure what kind of deal he deserves tbh but I am guessing if they dont trade Dre or at least move Javalle then Allen wont get the run he wants here and will look to bail unless they overpay which tbh they might want to consider doing because his ability is just scratching the surface despite already being in the league a bit.

Isn't he a RFA? Bailing won't be that easy. But I think this just clears the way for Drummond to be moved, probably the real reason they held him out was because they knew this trade was going to be coming down the pipeline and had prelim talks about a Drummond trade that they didn't want ruined with him getting hurt.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#7 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:57 pm

I've read that Allen will be a restricted free-agent, so, if we don't move Drummond we've got one heckuva hedge on the Center position for next season.

On the other hand, is Andre actually injured or was the Achilles injury an excuse to sit him on the second night of a back to back, or did we think he might be traded (perhaps even in this deal)?

If the injury is at all serious, we may need Allen immediately (supposedly McGee can't play big minutes due to his asthma).
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:58 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Isn't he a RFA? Bailing won't be that easy. But I think this just clears the way for Drummond to be moved, probably the real reason they held him out was because they knew this trade was going to be coming down the pipeline and had prelim talks about a Drummond trade that they didn't want ruined with him getting hurt.

Sure I guess the interest in Dre could be higher than anticipated and right now something is imminent but I am actually not inclined to think that is the case and that he did have foot soreness as reported.
I still think despite the injury bug Love has value the shorter to completion his contract is and if anything they are holding him out for trade purposes more than Dre.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:06 pm

it says he is RFA which is good I thought he was unrestricted at first
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,559

Post#10 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:20 pm

Take care of my boy, he's a good kid with plenty of room to grow.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#11 » by Harper4Ferry? » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:26 pm

They may have been hoping to use Dre instead of Exum/1st in this deal. That seems realistic.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,085

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:30 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'm good. I think I would've rather sent our pick protected, but I'd still do the Bucks unprotected.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#13 » by Stillwater » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:35 am

LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#14 » by LivingLegend » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:37 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'm good. I think I would've rather sent our pick protected, but I'd still do the Bucks unprotected.

I mean they essentially have their core plus all of their own picks still. Plus that Bucks pick is about to be in the 20s.

PG- Garland
SG- Sexton
SF- Okoro
PF- Nance
C- Allen

6th- Porter Jr.

BN- Windler
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:58 am

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I mean they essentially have their core plus all of their own picks still. Plus that Bucks pick is about to be in the 20s.

PG- Garland
SG- Sexton
SF- Okoro
PF- Nance
C- Allen

6th- Porter Jr.

BN- Windler

You need an upgrade at the 4 if you're going to make real noise in the post season. Nance is a great bench player but he's not enough of a scorer for your team to really be a triple threat on that end. You're going to pick up some defense and lose some offense going from Drummond to a rim runner.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#16 » by Revenged25 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:34 am

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

PG- Garland
SG- Sexton
SF- Okoro
PF- Nance
C- Allen

6th- Porter Jr.

BN- Windler

You need an upgrade at the 4 if you're going to make real noise in the post season. Nance is a great bench player but he's not enough of a scorer for your team to really be a triple threat on that end. You're going to pick up some defense and lose some offense going from Drummond to a rim runner.

Problem is how many possible upgrades are actually available at the 4. Most players have one or more issue I'm sure you'll find with them or there is absolutely 0 chance we could get them.

Possible options at PF:
Kevin Love (On the roster) - Oft-injured, mediocre-poor defense, old/doesn't fit long term, overpaid
John Collins (RFA) - About to get paid, good 3pt% but on low attempts
Lauri Markkanen (RFA) - About to get paid, and according to you bad defense, no post game, and rebounds worse than Love
LaMarcus Aldridge (FA) - old, is he even a PF anymore
Aaron Gordon (Trade) - poor offense

I mean can you think of another option? I mean I'm still thinking that if we move off of Love & Drummond without eating a lot of bad money getting a Markkanen or Collins would be great for the roster as they would provide the scoring from the 4.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#17 » by LivingLegend » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:40 am

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

PG- Garland
SG- Sexton
SF- Okoro
PF- Nance
C- Allen

6th- Porter Jr.

BN- Windler

Problem is how many possible upgrades are actually available at the 4. Most players have one or more issue I'm sure you'll find with them or there is absolutely 0 chance we could get them.

Possible options at PF:
Kevin Love (On the roster) - Oft-injured, mediocre-poor defense, old/doesn't fit long term, overpaid
Lauri Markkanen (RFA) - About to get paid, and according to you bad defense, no post game, and rebounds worse than Love

I mean can you think of another option? I mean I'm still thinking that if we move off of Love & Drummond without eating a lot of bad money getting a Markkanen or Collins would be great for the roster as they would provide the scoring from the 4.

I mean I was moreso referring to moving forward. We still have Love for the next year or two probably at the 4 and that position can be solved with our lottery pick next year if we want to invest deeper.

Point being though is just that the young core of this team is practically complete (with one last addition coming next draft) that you can then grow and keep surrounding by supporting veteran players
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#18 » by Revenged25 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:44 am

LivingLegend wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Possible options at PF:

I mean I was moreso referring to moving forward. We still have Love for the next year or two probably at the 4 and that position can be solved with our lottery pick next year if we want to invest deeper.

Point being though is just that the young core of this team is practically complete (with one last addition coming next draft) that you can then grow and keep surrounding by supporting veteran players

Oh I understand and agree but jbk was dismissing other potential options for the future at PF in a thread on T&T so when he made this post here I just had to ask him the question.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:46 am

LivingLegend wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Possible options at PF:

Yeah, I think the Cavs have to draft the best two-way PF they can next year and they need to hold onto Love until they do. There just aren't that many good PFs in the NBA. If you can get a Turner or Wiseman type at center who can offer spacing out of the five position, you have more options. But that option was closed off once we traded for Allen.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#20 » by LivingLegend » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:00 am

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Possible options at PF:

Yeah, I think the Cavs have to draft the best two-way PF they can next year and they need to hold onto Love until they do. There just aren't that many good PFs in the NBA. If you can get a Turner or Wiseman type at center who can offer spacing out of the five position, you have more options. But that option was closed off once we traded for Allen.

Right which is why I dont think its super mandatory to go all out for a true elite 4. Love/Nance combo for the next few years will be just fine because they are both mobile and can stretch out. If anything the Cavs need another big wing next year considering both Okoro and Porter are probably more SGs than SFs.

If we are serious about rolling with Sexland for the future than we are going to need as many big rim protectors behind them as possible. I like the way the Cavs are building this.

The Cavs are BIG now and they have to be to compensate for the lack of size with Sexton/Garland.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers