Shams: Oladipo to Houston for Levert in Harden trade (Deal Complete)

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: Shams: Oladipo to Houston for Levert in Harden trade 

Post#41 » by Topofthekey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:32 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:J.Michael’s with his “his was destined though we never reported it at any point” take, too :lol:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

If it's true that the trade caught Vic by surprise, I wonder what happened to KP's promise to be transparent with the players

Is that still a thing, or is it something that belongs in the past
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#42 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:42 am

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:J.Michael’s with his “his was destined though we never reported it at any point” take, too :lol:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

If it's true that the trade caught Vic by surprise, I wonder what happened to KP's promise to be transparent with the players

Is that still a thing, or is it something that belongs in the past

Pritchard said that when guys come up in trade talks, he loops in the player. In this case, its widely reported that the Harden deal came together quick today, and then Houston looped in Indiana super quick after. I wouldn’t imagine there was much “talk” as much as just a phone call and deal was done. :dontknow:
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#43 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:30 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Uh I did not have this. Curious to see what else Indy gets here. Because this feels gross without something else significant for Indy.

My worry is that it was straight up a cost control deal. Oladipo was really bouncing back, too.

Vic was playing well and I said at the beginning of the season that he might be traded if the team thinks he's gonna cost too much to resign. I think that's it and this move gets them under the Tax line.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#44 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:34 am

I was traveling when I heard this about 430 pm. I'm not really happy about it but if LeVert can stay healthy it may be ok.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#45 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:37 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

It would have been nice to have moved LecQue and gotten a backup PF out of it.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#46 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:39 am

JMAC3 wrote:Guess Indy wasn't as confident about keeping Oladipo as you guys made it sound a few days ago.

Congrats on LeVert.

Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bushes.

I think it is really about getting out of the tax this year and not wanting to end up in the tax next year.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#47 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:42 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Guess Indy wasn't as confident about keeping Oladipo as you guys made it sound a few days ago.

Congrats on LeVert.

Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bushes.

Yup. Sounds like we were willing to downgrade for cost control.

But, we solicited offers and got better than Rozier. :dontknow:

If we'd traded for Rozier I'd be sick right now! As it is I'm just still in my disillusioned with it all phase.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#48 » by Boneman2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:02 am

Jake0890 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I’m always a bit off put when I read this things after something has happened. If it was true, why not report it then, or even hint at it?

very much agree. Kravitz is an expert at the old “told you so” when I can never recall him actually saying it... but i’ve never been a big fan of Bob in any case. even JMichael has started to do this with all the inside source reporting he does after the details are released publicly.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Simple logic everyone seems to overlook these days.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#49 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:04 am

Hoop Hunter wrote:Not sure why Dipo wanted out. He did though. Rumors about him turning into a diva after the masked singer.

Great trade IMO.

Yeah I think he's got big Ideas about being a pop star. Reminds me of when Ron Artest thought he was gonna start a record lable.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#50 » by Boneman2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:20 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Is there a way to sign Illysova, assuming he would agree, he'd be a good fit. Did we open up enough space? If so I'd probably sacrifice Martin over LecQue but it ultimately wouldn't matter.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#51 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:35 am

Boneman2 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Is there a way to sign Illysova, assuming he would agree, he'd be a good fit. Did we open up enough space? If so I'd probably sacrifice Martin over LecQue but it ultimately wouldn't matter.

I don't know where Illysova is but yeah he'd fill the bill. LecQue looks like he's got some ability but I don't know if he could stick with another team either right now.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#52 » by winter_mute_13 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:54 am

I'm feeling a bit better about the trade now, LOL

It was always a possibility that the Pacers trade Dipo for a younger, cheaper player. LeVert fits that, also fits the lack of wings on the roster. He's also the sort of multi dimensional wing the Pacers tried to get in Hayward.
Brooklyn91
Pro Prospect
And1: 840

Post#53 » by Brooklyn91 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:53 am

Y’all take care of my boy. He’s a great locker room guy who got us through some bad times when the nets were at our lowest point. He’ll be great for what you guys are doing
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by Topofthekey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:35 am

So is he joining the team on the road? Is he going to play against the Blazers?
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by Topofthekey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:49 am

winter_mute_13 wrote:I'm feeling a bit better about the trade now, LOL

It was always a possibility that the Pacers trade Dipo for a younger, cheaper player. LeVert fits that, also fits the lack of wings on the roster. He's also the sort of multi dimensional wing the Pacers tried to get in Hayward.

I think we're all going to be quite happy with the trade

Someone's going to throw the max at Vic this off-season. Maxing Vic out is going to impact our ability to re-sign key FAs in Doug and McConnell, who have both been very good. It also makes it tough to extend Warren when the time comes. Basically, maxing Vic is going to create all sorts of difficulties for the team, especially if it's an overpay

As long as Levert can remain healthy, I think he's going to turn into one of those value contracts. I don't expect him to turn into an All Star like Vic, but I think he's going to give us a steady 18ppg, at almost half the price of Vic's new contract. If he can improve his defense as well, he's going to be a great fit

I do think Pacers should have also gotten a FRP out of the trade though, or at the very least tacked on Lecque in the trade for a good backup PF
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#56 » by Pacersike » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:00 pm

Typical Pacers move :). Getting the less talented player with a (hopefully) better attitude.

We basically traded Paul George for a second rounder, Sabonis and the privilege of having Thaddeus Young 3 years on our team :D .

I like this move because LeVerts production is on the same level as Oladipo (minus 1 outlier season). I very much like the fact he is longer and taller, so he can play a lot of minutes at the 3 with also a PG next to Brogdon.

I have some question marks about health (again) and his late game heroics, though him smiling when some Pacer fans were shouting disrespectful things at him while he was shooting free throws, does show promise of him staying confident in heated moments.

It's a good move.
Scoot McGroot wrote:Image

Everyone can become a chosen one by making the right/respectful choices. Everybody has the potential to always be happy wherever you are and always stay confident, including the final seconds of the game, they just have to convince themselves.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#57 » by Pacersike » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:05 pm

Topofthekey wrote:So is he joining the team on the road? Is he going to play against the Blazers?

Patience is key :) .

For grades and for everything else. It is what it is and future will be bright :D .
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#58 » by winter_mute_13 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:49 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
I think we're all going to be quite happy with the trade

It's definitely the safe and smart play. At the same time, one gets tired of playing it safe all the time, you know? :lol:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:21 pm

Topofthekey wrote:So is he joining the team on the road? Is he going to play against the Blazers?

I would imagine not, with COVID testing procedures and whatnot. But I don’t know.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:22 pm

Caitlin Cooper with her write up.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Indiana Pacers