Dipo to Heat

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Dipo to Heat 

Post#1 » by ThatBoyNick » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:14 am

Read this

The Rockets may not be done trading, either. The Athletic’s Kelly Iko reported that multiple teams have inquired about lockdown defender P.J. Tucker. Two league sources tell me Tucker’s value around the league is the range of three second-round picks. The Rockets may hold out for a team to offer a first ahead of the March 25 trade deadline, but Tucker is 35 and will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason, which hurts his value. Houston could also still flip Oladipo, who wanted out of Indiana but landed in another place he doesn’t want to be. League sources say Oladipo still hopes to find himself in Miami.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/1/13/22230340/james-harden-trade-john-wall-houston-rockets

So I figured I'd make a trade idea

Oladipo

for

Iggy, Nunn, 2022 (top 12 protected) 1st swap option (worst of any of Houstons picks - including Nets/Bucks)

For Houston - Get the potential to trade up next year's draft, kick the tires on Nunn, saves about 4 mill in cap, facilitates a tank

For Miami - Clear talent upgrade for a small asset.

Tucker could be added into this if Miami want's to send the 2025 1st instead of the swap option, but then they would have to unprotect their pick to OKC which makes the trade a bit too dicey for them IMO. I'd also take Achiuwa of course instead of any picks, but doubtful they'd want to add him either.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: Dipo to Heat 

Post#2 » by loserX » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:19 am

It's a creative way of dealing with a team that can offer few draft assets, but man, you have to wait two drafts and the payoff might not be anything at all. I know the Rockets don't have a ton of leverage but this still seems a bit sad if that's all they can manage.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,404

Post#3 » by RexBoyWonder » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:29 am

Heat should do it, Rockets might demand more. Good idea in principle.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#4 » by puppa bear » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:43 am

I agree with Rex. If this is the cost then we pull the trigger, but I expect Rockets will want more & I’m not sure a 22 2nd (the only 2nd we have for a whole) will cut it.

Perhaps if we can get the 2023 unprotected we can offer the 2025, or we offer two swaps (22 & 24)?

Unless theres more pieces of interest for us coming back I can’t see us adding another of our young pieces.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,993

Post#5 » by cl2117 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:58 am

Looks good for both sides especially considering he's a solid bet to re-sign in Miami.

Realistically I think Houston should be able to get more for Dipo than just the swap option, but might be difficult with rumors that he's mainly interested in Miami. If he's a pure rental might drive down some offers and make this more reasonable especially since they get to kick the tires on Nunn.

Miami should push to get this done ASAP before the dust settles. Great job OP.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,197

Post#6 » by BBallFreak » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:11 pm

Yeah, I'd do it. Of course, waiting for next year isn't a terrible option either, considering he's made his preference for Miami known and we'll have the space. But getting him in early is worthwhile...
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#7 » by puppa bear » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:14 pm

BBallFreak wrote:Yeah, I'd do it. Of course, waiting for next year isn't a terrible option either, considering he's made his preference for Miami known and we'll have the space. But getting him in early is worthwhile...

Getting him early also allows us to operate as an over-the-cap team, so we can resign our FAs (that we want to) and use the MLE and BAE
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Post#8 » by ThatBoyNick » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:40 pm

puppa bear wrote:I agree with Rex. If this is the cost then we pull the trigger, but I expect Rockets will want more & I’m not sure a 22 2nd (the only 2nd we have for a whole) will cut it.

Perhaps if we can get the 2023 unprotected we can offer the 2025, or we offer two swaps (22 & 24)?

Unless theres more pieces of interest for us coming back I can’t see us adding another of our young pieces.

What would you think Dipo + Tucker for Iggy and Olynyk is worth?
ZombieKilla
Rookie
And1: 1,085

Post#9 » by ZombieKilla » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:31 pm

Rockets would not take on Iguodala's extra year.
It would have to be an expiring contract or send Iggy to a third team (Boston's TPE?).
Maybe Olynyk, young player, 1st.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:33 pm

ZombieKilla wrote:Rockets would not take on Iguodala's extra year.
It would have to be an expiring contract or send Iggy to a third team (Boston's TPE?).

Iggy’s last year is a team option.
ZombieKilla
Rookie
And1: 1,085

Post#11 » by ZombieKilla » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:36 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
ZombieKilla wrote:Rockets would not take on Iguodala's extra year.

Iggy’s last year is a team option.

Yeah I just saw that.
I still think Rockets would send him to a third team for someone younger.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#12 » by Bentley1225 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:40 pm

Rockets are likely going to pit Miami and Dallas against each other to maximize return package

James Johnson + Josh Green + 2022 2nd + 2024 2nd
vs
Andre Iguodala + Chris Silva + 2025 1st + 2022 2nd
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#13 » by JD45 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:02 pm

Deal makes a lot of sense.

I think Dallas would like Dipo, but if he is clear about wanting to go to Miami, they may be reluctant to bid for him.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,568

Post#14 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:26 pm

Wrong thread

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,814

Post#15 » by psman2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:55 pm

puppa bear wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:Yeah, I'd do it. Of course, waiting for next year isn't a terrible option either, considering he's made his preference for Miami known and we'll have the space. But getting him in early is worthwhile...

Getting him early also allows us to operate as an over-the-cap team, so we can resign our FAs (that we want to) and use the MLE and BAE

People are running with the just sign him in FA angle so don't give up any value for him now. But getting him for this year's playoffs, seeing how he meshes with your team before giving him a ton of money, and being able to operate over the cap and keeping the MLE option and maybe bringing some of your guys back is worth a decent asset which the OP doesn't have here.

I think either a real future 1st or Achiuwa have to be on the table with Houston working Tucker into the deal as well.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by BBallFreak » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:10 pm

psman2 wrote:
puppa bear wrote:

People are running with the just sign him in FA angle so don't give up any value for him now. But getting him for this year's playoffs, seeing how he meshes with your team before giving him a ton of money, and being able to operate over the cap and keeping the MLE option and maybe bringing some of your guys back is worth a decent asset which the OP doesn't have here.

I think either a real future 1st or Achiuwa have to be on the table with Houston working Tucker into the deal as well.
I disagree. I'm not willing to include Achiuwa, personally. Maybe the Heat are but I'm not that high on Dipo.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,814

Post#17 » by psman2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:18 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
psman2 wrote:
puppa bear wrote:Getting him early also allows us to operate as an over-the-cap team, so we can resign our FAs (that we want to) and use the MLE and BAE

I disagree. I'm not willing to include Achiuwa, personally. Maybe the Heat are but I'm not that high on Dipo.

I understand but I think if the Heat are serious about throwing 30m plus at Dipo in the offseason then the trade avenue is a much better path to take for the reasons you and I stated.

A pick swap that has a high likelihood of not conveying and Nunn won't get it done in my opinion. I have Houston holding out for at least a 1st or Achiuwa, using Tucker to sweeten the pot.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by BBallFreak » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:33 pm

psman2 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
psman2 wrote:

I understand but I think if the Heat are serious about throwing 30m plus at Dipo in the offseason then the trade avenue is a much better path to take for the reasons you and I stated.

A pick swap that has a high likelihood of not conveying and Nunn won't get it done in my opinion. I have Houston holding out for at least a 1st or Achiuwa, using Tucker to sweeten the pot.

I'll give the first. Not Achiuwa.
ThaFranchize84
Junior
And1: 156

Post#19 » by ThaFranchize84 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:55 pm

I think something along the lines of Leonard, Iggy, Nunn, Okpala and future 1st for Dipo and Tucker could be something that works for both teams at the March trade deadline.

Houston gets two young guys in Nunn and Okpala along with future 1st and expiring contracts

Miami gets Dipo to help with the offensive and defensive load on Butler and Bam. They also get Tucker to fit in the front court with Bam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,923

Post#20 » by K_chile22 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:14 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
psman2 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:I disagree. I'm not willing to include Achiuwa, personally. Maybe the Heat are but I'm not that high on Dipo.

I'll give the first. Not Achiuwa.

Isn't the first pick they can trade 2025 and only if they get OKc to make the 2023 pick unprotected? They'd have to vbe very weak protections for houston to do that and that seems... unwise.

Return to Trades and Transactions