ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets trade for Harden!

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Re: Nets trade for Harden! 

Post#181 » by DarkXaero » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:06 am

Anyway, actually getting the time to post some thoughts on this. As some might know here, I was one of the biggest advocates of Harden trade here, so I couldn't be happier about it. I was aware of the cost it would take to get him, and I feel validated because I know many here felt that we didn't have the assets to get a superstar through trade, especially one of Harden's caliber. Recently, I increasingly felt that Ben Simmons was a very overrated asset and in many ways, not a good trade asset for Houston at all. This wasn't about Tillman not trading with Philly out of spite, this came down to the amount of picks/swaps we could offer compared to others, along with two very tradeable players (Levert & Allen).

Now that the trade is done, what we need is buy-in from our 3 stars. I'm not worried about KD at all, but Harden and Kyrie will have to figure out how to make this work, and sacrifice to win. I'm confident that they're talented and motivated enough to do it. Next roster move is finding a center option for our rotation, and I'm confident that Marks will be able to get that done as we still have the means.
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#182 » by mcscotty » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:21 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
mcscotty wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Dont forget ray allen... and yeah the last time a hall of fame trio like that was combined they won a title

The difference is those 3 had complimentary skill sets. Kyrie and Harden can't play together. It's not going to work. Harden will get vocal. Kyrie will resent being talked down to. It's going to get ugly. In fact, Kyrie might already be protesting. Kyrie will likely be traded soon. If Marks swings the right deal, you can start dreaming about a title. Right now, it's just a soap opera.

Harden played with Chris Paul and was very successful.

Why couldn't he do the same with Kyrie?

Both are elite shooters and have played off ball before in their careers. Especially Kyrie with LeBron.

Do you recall the tension between those guys? We all know how it ended. You might as well start a Kyrie trade thread. It's imminent. I suspect Marks is already scouting the league for PnR bigs and 3nD wings. The right package makes you guys serious contenders. You have a healthy prime KD with no time to waste. You need role players, depth and picks, not a disgruntled diva.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#183 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:30 am

mcscotty wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
mcscotty wrote:
The difference is those 3 had complimentary skill sets. Kyrie and Harden can't play together. It's not going to work. Harden will get vocal. Kyrie will resent being talked down to. It's going to get ugly. In fact, Kyrie might already be protesting. Kyrie will likely be traded soon. If Marks swings the right deal, you can start dreaming about a title. Right now, it's just a soap opera.

Both are elite shooters and have played off ball before in their careers. Especially Kyrie with LeBron.

Do you recall the tension between those guys? We all know how it ended. You might as well start a Kyrie trade thread. It's imminent. I suspect Marks is already scouting the league for PnR bigs and 3nD wings. The right package makes you guys serious contenders. You have a healthy prime KD with no time to waste. You need role players, depth and picks, not a disgruntled diva.

So you want to give up without even trying? :lol:

No thanks. I'll see how it goes first. I think it could work.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#184 » by Paradise » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:33 am

mcscotty wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
mcscotty wrote:

They are actually good friends lol. I recall both have their own handshake which was displayed last season when Harden and the Rockets (with WB) played the Nets last season.

Harden, Kyrie and KD worked out during the off-season which led to this trio happening and all three played together on Team USA including Jordan.
Paradise

Nets trade for Harden! 

Post#185 » by Paradise » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:34 am

Harden in his last game as a Rocket:

LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#186 » by LOUiS-D » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:39 am

What do people think about Dedmon and/or bringing back Rondae?
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#187 » by DarkXaero » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:49 am

LOUiS-D wrote:What do people think about Dedmon and/or bringing back Rondae?
Dedmon looks done, I'd rather try for a NBA player on a roster. We could have the DPE or look to move Dinwiddie's contract to get someone or wait till buyout market.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#188 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:57 am

I most DEFINITELY want RHJ back. He's grown as a defender, and even stretched his range a tiny bit. Minnesota was raving about him in training camp, they just had a roster crunch with guaranteed contracts and couldn't keep him.

I'd like to open cattle call auditions for a PG to pick up in free agency. Napier is probably the best available, but Thomas, Lin or camp invite Okobo could work.

I'm not certain we need a free agent C. The quality at that position is not great, but in terms of pure bodies we should be fine. We don't need to clog a roster spot with a replacement level 7 footer. Jordan can play an inspired 28mpg, and we have Claxton, Perry, Green and Durant who can all give us different looks at the 5.

If we can leverage our Dinwiddie DPE ($5.7mil) to peel off another 3&D wing from a team in the luxury tax, we'll be set.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#189 » by LOUiS-D » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:59 am

DarkXaero wrote:
Dedmon looks done, I'd rather try for a NBA player on a roster. We could have the DPE or look to move Dinwiddie's contract to get someone or wait till buyout market.

they already applied for the DPE for 5.7M a week ago. Not sure if it's been granted. The free agent pool is a little thin though.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#190 » by DarkXaero » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:01 am

LOUiS-D wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:

they already applied for the DPE for 5.7M a week ago. Not sure if it's been granted. The free agent pool is a little thin though.
I don't think we've applied for it yet. Woj said that we'll likely apply for it, iirc. But with DPE, you can trade for a player in the last year of their contract, so it doesn't have to be a free agent.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,836

Post#191 » by Karate Diop » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:15 am

I'm all for bringing back RondBAE.
Paradise

Nets trade for Harden! 

Post#192 » by Paradise » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:18 am

LOUiS-D wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:

We could hold onto it until March along with that MLE and become aggressive after the trade deadline.

Again, Trevor Ariza has NEVER suited up for the Thunder yet. I expect a buyout by March.
N Ireland Nets
Lead Assistant
And1: 276

Post#193 » by N Ireland Nets » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:26 am

I'm so excited with this trade.

Love Levert and Allen especially but they were never leading us to the promised land. Harden turned down a 2 year $100m extension to get to Brooklyn, he didn't do that with the idea of coming in and being a problem. People act like these guys don't understand there has to be give with stars to make it work, just like when the dream team comes together, they work it out. I'm more than willing to figure things out with Irving, Harden and KD, can't wait for this.

All their contracts expire in 2023, KD and Harden will be 34 then and Irving 31. I fully expect them to re-sign and keep our window of contention open. The beauty of KD and Harden is their game will age well being deadly scorers not based on pure athleticism. This year is going to be a freebie go at winning a title but next year we will be in a much better shape with a full off season bringing in vets ring chasing to fill holes.

I fully expect us to pick up some quality players cut later in the season to help our push. Maybe looking at a lineup like (with Dinwiddie obviously injured):

Irving / Johnson /Chiozza
Brown / TLC / Shamet
Harden / Harris /
KD / Green /
Jordan / Claxton / Perry

Going to bring in a few more interesting options I'm sure. The Harden trade was exactly the same as what the Lakers did, signed a superstar as a free agent (we signed two of them) then traded 3 1st round picks and swaps plus young studs for a superstar, we did the same.

Enjoyed our size this evening with Green at PF with Jordan and KD at SF. Might be nice to go with a big lineup with KD going to the 3 and bringing in someone to play PF like Green/Claxton. But giddy with excitement. I see no reason why Harden demanded to be traded to Brooklyn only to walk in 18 months or whatever it is. To me this is us locked in for the next 5 seasons trying to win as many titles as we can. Loving all the NBA league wide hate and questioning the deal. The 3 are superstars and I hope they have massive chips on their shoulder from the talk about this never working. Just can't wait to see these guys play together. Also maybe we bring Dinwiddie back now on a new contract next season, that's an option I never thought could happen.
N Ireland Nets
Lead Assistant
And1: 276

Post#194 » by N Ireland Nets » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:48 am

Another thing I was just thinking about is the flexibility with 3 superstars. We should at all times during a game have at least 1 superstar on the court for the Nets, that's crazy. How could any backup stop Irving, Harden or KD?

Rotation would be possible to give players rest, especially on back to backs. Could manage minutes on first night of back to back for say Harden. Then let him loose on the 2nd night playing bigger minutes. Options are endless with 3 superstars.

Beyond excited for this. Dreaming of winning a Championship in this window of contention with the 3 studs. Just 1 championship is all I dream about, would just make all the rubbish we have been through and watched worth it. So exciting.
Cockers
Freshman
And1: 61

Post#195 » by Cockers » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:48 am

Happy im no brooklyn fan. 2 problem players on the team... good luck
insomniac00
Junior
And1: 294

Post#196 » by insomniac00 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:57 am

Neutral (Suns) fan take:

Yes this deal has obvious ways it could blow up badly for you. But IF that day ever comes, then you can feel bad about it. For now you guys have an amazing team and are allowed to be excited about it. Haters can shove it.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#197 » by Indomitable » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:04 am

Lamak wrote:in reality we did max our players values out and got a former mvp so we do have 3 top 10 players now, it just is a gamble with how we have chemistry issues, but id rather go for it now. allen and levert have major potential and it hurts to lose them but we keep joe harris and dinwiddie. the picks arent as relevant in my mind. we have a big 3

No disrepect but Kyrie is not top 10. He is a top 20.

The good news is that you have 2 of the top 8 players in the game.
:banghead:
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,247

Post#198 » by Papi_swav » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:11 am

One word: Insane ! Many posters on the GB and T&T board were saying no way we get Harden and we don't have the assets, now look at them lol. I'm just ecstatic that we keep Dinwiddie out of all of this. We can either re sign him or he can opt in for next year.

I understand the anxiety u guys have regarding our pick situation, but like Prok said it will likely only be 3-4 picks. 2021 don't really count, we should be just as good in 2022 so we'll give up pick 25 or higher which we can probably buy an early 2nd rounder and get a player just as good. 2023 we should still be better than the Rockets, 2024 if we resigned everybody we should still be better than the Rockets or if not then we'll have alot of cap space to sign other players.

Not to mention Marks is a genius so we should still be good in some way by then. 2025, 2026, 2027 is too far to tell but also like Prok said it's going to be hard for the Rockets to re build with all of their own picks gone. And even then, if we get 2 rings out of this at the very least, then it will ALL be worth it. You give up anything for just ONE ring, but being elite for 3 maybe 4 years is something any team would sign up for. That's a dynasty. There is no looking back now, we will be one of the better teams for a long time even when KD/Kyrie/Harden retires. Players are gravitating towards us. Just look at how Harden forced his way here.

I will miss Levert and Allen for sure. I don't even see why we really had to give up Allen honestly, he went to the Cavs out of all place, did they even give up anything here? Prince was just starting to play alot better in his new role.

Now we definitely need a 3&D wing to replace Prince. Ariza should be bought out soon. But I also want someone young and spry . We still have the MLE and Din injury exception so we'll fill out the roster soon enough. We might be ok at center with DJ and Perry, Perry gives us a different look because he can knock down the 3 as a big man. Jeff Green, KD and Claxton will get time there. I also think we should look to get another PG, someone that can defend better. So PG and 3&D wings should be our focus now. Bruce Brown should be in the starting lineup with these guys.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,247

Post#199 » by Papi_swav » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:24 am

Another thing, out of all these teams involved we couldn't get a minimum level player to come back to us? Wish we made rockets throw in Nwaba, I would love to have that dude back. Even House Jr would of been fine.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#200 » by therealbig3 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:26 am

2 years ago, my most hated players were Kyrie, Durant, and Harden. I’ve talked so much **** about them.

And now they’re all on my team. Lol, NBA makes you change up your stances real quick.

Return to Brooklyn Nets