ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets trade for Harden!

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Re: Nets trade for Harden! 

Post#201 » by therealbig3 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:34 am

Gotta give up something to get something...can’t expect to get a player like Harden and NOT give up a bunch of picks and young talent.

And honestly, we’ve all gone back and forth on Levert...he’s not exactly “young”, and he’s never actually proven that he’s a legit All-Star over the course of an entire season. The main young building block we had to give up was Jarrett Allen and all the picks.

But as people said, really doubt all 7 picks convey to the Rockets, and it’s not like we don’t have picks. What made the Boston trade suck was that we got really bad and they got really good like overnight, so all of those pick swaps conveyed, in addition to giving up high lotto picks. I’m not seeing that happen in this case.

So ultimately, an inconsistent kind of one dimensional wing in his prime, a young defensive center, and a handful of picks for an MVP in his prime isn’t unreasonable. In fact, you’re nuts if you actually turned that down. Got to give up value to get a player of that caliber, and we’re really not giving up crazy value that is unheard of. Clippers gave up a comparable package for Paul George, and he’s not the same caliber player as Harden.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#202 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:39 am

Papi_swav wrote:Another thing, out of all these teams involved we couldn't get a minimum level player to come back to us? Wish we made rockets throw in Nwaba, I would love to have that dude back. Even House Jr would of been fine.

We could have fit Nwaba, and I wanted him, but he's actually looked rustier than I thought he would coming back from injury. Anyway, we have options to fill out our roster, we'll be fine.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#203 » by Paradise » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:16 am

Key schedule dates:

January 20th-22nd: Nets at Cavs. Jarrett Allen revenge game(s).

Feb 10th: Pacers at Nets. Caris LeVert returns to Barclays.

March 3rd: Nets at Rockets on ESPN. Harden returns to Houston.

Btw, I think I mentioned the moment the schedule was released that us visiting Houston as our LAST 1st half scheduled game was a little strange to add in. The NBA expected us to land Harden mid season.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#204 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:31 am

Cockers wrote:Happy im no brooklyn fan. 2 problem players on the team... good luck

Great enjoy watching Aaron Gordon and Fournier! We don't want you anyway.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#205 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:36 am

I love Allen but he is going to get seriously overpaid. I don't think hes worth 20 million + hes going to get from the Cavs. We were never keeping him.

And not sure it doesn't make more sense to go small in a playoff series. Every other team does it.

Levert was a loss but hes essentially being replaced by Harden. No brainer.

Prince may honestly hurt the most. He was our 3&D guy and I really thought he was starting to become the player I had hoped.

Have to hope Brown/Green can fill that role unless we can find somebody on the buyout market. Lack of defensive wings is still concerning to me. Its basically just Green.
StepBackCrack
Starter
And1: 3,083

Post#206 » by StepBackCrack » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:37 am

People think that Nets are stupid with this trade make me laugh so hard lmao. You telling me James freakin Harden isn't worth Allen (don't get me wrong, he is the main piece here to me), Levert + Prince and future picks that are not likely to turn out to something even close to prime Harden's value? These people are insane to me. You make this trade every single time. I can't stress this enough. This was the 100% right move for the Nets. No question about it imo.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#207 » by Topofthekey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:55 am

haosmoove wrote:How do we defend? Ask D'Antoni this question and he will tell you:
"Offense is the best defense."

People: "So, how do we defend"

D'Antoni: *confused noises*
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#208 » by therealbig3 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:58 am

This is very different than the Celtics trade imo. It was obvious at the time of that trade that KG and Pierce weren't in their primes anymore and were glorified role players at that point. It WAS an overpay. Everyone knew it. But we were already all-in after trading a lotto pick for Gerald Wallace and bringing in Joe Johnson...and then also giving a big contract to Gerald Wallace after it was clear he was a shell of himself...we were a win-now team that wasn't close to contending and were deep into the luxury tax...we had to do something to be a legit contender, and Pierce and KG while old, were still very good players as of their last season with the Celtics, and they offered the best chance to go from a pretender to a contender, given they were still capable of being very good players for us...turned out that Pierce was still productive, but KG wasn't. And Deron turned into a role player overnight, instead of the star he was to end the previous season, which is what had given us hope that we could still contend in the first place and is partially what prompted us to do the deal.

But again, we all knew that Pierce and KG were old and it was very possible that they would quickly be washed up, and that all the picks we gave up could end up being a disaster. Our downfall came a lot quicker than expected though, because none of us really expected Deron to fall off the way he did, so we ended up just being a straight up bad team after we were forced to waive him and Joe because they were just albatross contracts that gave us very little on the court.

But Kyrie/Durant/Harden are all in the middle of their primes. They can all be at this level for another 3+ years. And even after their time is done, we're a free agent destination now that can attract the next big free agent. Nobody wanted to play for us after the disastrous end to the Deron Williams era.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#209 » by Paradise » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:01 am

An underrated aspect of the trade: Nets are 7th in FTs per game and that number will skyrocket with Harden alone.
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,242

Post#210 » by pr0wler » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:19 am

Congrats to you guys. I hope you guys enjoy watching the best 1 on 1 player of all-time, and the greatest scorer in the game today. Having some legit all-star talent in BKN will only make him look better. Good luck.
pr0wler
Assistant Coach

Post#211 » by pr0wler » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:23 am

Also this is great for conference balance. The West was just too sacked. Now the East has 2-3 legit contenders that could win it all. Miami will regret not giving up on decent prospects to get the James Harden show.
StepBackCrack
Starter
And1: 3,083

Post#212 » by StepBackCrack » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:24 am

pr0wler wrote:Congrats to you guys. I hope you guys enjoy watching the best 1 on 1 player of all-time, and the greatest scorer in the game today. Having some legit all-star talent in BKN will only make him look better. Good luck.

Thanks for the classy replay. I hope some Rockets fans will still root for Harden :( Yeah, the breakup was ugly but he still gave a lot to HOU and I'm sure he will always love the city. What a run he had. Always been underrated player to me. He is a generational talent just like KD. They will be amazing to watch I'm sure.

And feel free to post here after watching some Nets matches (just mainly for Harden) if you like. Everybody welcome. :)
pr0wler
Assistant Coach

Post#213 » by pr0wler » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:27 am

StepBackCrack wrote:
pr0wler wrote:Congrats to you guys. I hope you guys enjoy watching the best 1 on 1 player of all-time, and the greatest scorer in the game today. Having some legit all-star talent in BKN will only make him look better. Good luck.

Thanks for the classy replay. I hope some Rockets fans will still root for Harden :( Yeah, the breakup was ugly but he still gave a lot to HOU and I'm sure he will always love the city. What a run he had. Always been underrated player to me. He is a generational talent just like KD. They will be amazing to watch I'm sure.

No worries. He's still my favourite player, that won't change. One of the highest BBIQ in the game, best in the NBA at analytics type scoring. There's a reason why the Rockets had a Top 2 offense in the league for 3 straight years LOL. Now there is his old buddy KD who looks great, Steve Freakin' Nash, and D'antoni. This is gonna be exciting.

I'll definitely be tuning into a lot of Nets games and they're now my 2nd favourite team.
Raptaz
Starter
And1: 2,400

Post#214 » by Raptaz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:33 am

The way I see it

Nash + d'antoni + big 3 dont think many teams can compete offensively .

Maybe the clippers defensively can slow down the nets offense

Other than that aside from off court drama should be a fun ride

Filling out roster I guess after the trade deadline there will be a bunch of players who will want to join

Jordan will be important for the team to go all the way .

Oh and harden losing dome weight lol.

Congrats
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#215 » by therealbig3 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:35 am

When everyone is available, shouldn't be a situation where at least one of Kyrie/Harden/Durant aren't on the court, unless it's a blowout.
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#216 » by JoseRizal » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:13 am

Wow! I'm absolutely thrilled!

We've come a long way, guys. Now we can seriously compete for the ring.

- Losing Jarrett hurts, but we can't keep him anyway with the salary he will command
- Caris will also be missed, but I know he will thrive in Indiana
- The picks were a lot! But it's not 7 FRP's as some posters in the GB are claiming, only 3 (2022, 2024, 2026).
- There are 4 swap picks (2021, 2023, 2025, 2027), which I'm not too concerned about. Remember, we still OWN that FRP and an FRP is still valuable regardless of position. We have one of the best GM's at drafting mid to late prospects (LeVert, Allen, Claxton)
- I'm surprised that we weren't able to get Tucker. Would've really addressed our defensive deficiencies.

One more reason I'm glad this trade came to fruition is Kyrie's recent antics. For me, this our insurance policy regardless of what happens to number 11. Imagine if Kyrie decided to stop playing? We'll be left with KD carrying the whole team. We'll have greater odds with KD, Harden, Joe & bench over KD, Joe, Caris, Allen & bench.

I agree that this is a risky and bold move on our part, but the reward outweigh the risks. We just need to address some glaring weaknesses such as a defensive starting C, back-up PG and additional bench depth. We still have the MLE to utilize for that.

Here's hoping that we get useful buyout candidates and ring chasers to join the party.

I have total confidence in Marks, and I hope you all feel the same.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#217 » by GTR11 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:40 am

DarkXaero wrote:Anyway, actually getting the time to post some thoughts on this. As some might know here, I was one of the biggest advocates of Harden trade here, so I couldn't be happier about it. I was aware of the cost it would take to get him, and I feel validated because I know many here felt that we didn't have the assets to get a superstar through trade, especially one of Harden's caliber. Recently, I increasingly felt that Ben Simmons was a very overrated asset and in many ways, not a good trade asset for Houston at all. This wasn't about Tillman not trading with Philly out of spite, this came down to the amount of picks/swaps we could offer compared to others, along with two very tradeable players (Levert & Allen).

Now that the trade is done, what we need is buy-in from our 3 stars. I'm not worried about KD at all, but Harden and Kyrie will have to figure out how to make this work, and sacrifice to win. I'm confident that they're talented and motivated enough to do it. Next roster move is finding a center option for our rotation, and I'm confident that Marks will be able to get that done as we still have the means.

We actually can run a lot of what GSW did. They had combination of different offenses consistent of ball movement and spacing. Both Nash and KD been part of it.

I'm not sure what make you think Ben ain't elite level talent. If anything, Tillman gave huge F You to Morey. 6's had way better package than what we gave up, that's not even debatable.

Let's see how this all will work out. Whether most agree with it or not, we became favorites to win it all now. Both LA teams, Bucks and Miami will have to figure out something now. We going to spank in seven game series. Way to much fire power. You add the fact we will be getting Din back next year and I don't know how this team ain't dynasty for years to come.

Ok enjoy your days fellas. We became monster a lot of teams will have to look at. Lakers, Clippers and Miami has huge competition now. NY area is back on a map and we ain't going anywhere anytime soon.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#218 » by GTR11 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:47 am

therealbig3 wrote:Gotta give up something to get something...can’t expect to get a player like Harden and NOT give up a bunch of picks and young talent.

And honestly, we’ve all gone back and forth on Levert...he’s not exactly “young”, and he’s never actually proven that he’s a legit All-Star over the course of an entire season. The main young building block we had to give up was Jarrett Allen and all the picks.

But as people said, really doubt all 7 picks convey to the Rockets, and it’s not like we don’t have picks. What made the Boston trade suck was that we got really bad and they got really good like overnight, so all of those pick swaps conveyed, in addition to giving up high lotto picks. I’m not seeing that happen in this case.

So ultimately, an inconsistent kind of one dimensional wing in his prime, a young defensive center, and a handful of picks for an MVP in his prime isn’t unreasonable. In fact, you’re nuts if you actually turned that down. Got to give up value to get a player of that caliber, and we’re really not giving up crazy value that is unheard of. Clippers gave up a comparable package for Paul George, and he’s not the same caliber player as Harden.

Exactly, C's trade became disaster ones D.Wont gave up. Joe was busting azz, KG and PP did their thing, Plumber was pleasant surprise etc. We had couple year window to make it work, D.Wont did us dirty and Kidd tried to stab us in a back again on his way out. Well everything is for better I guess, look at us now.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,857

Post#219 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:56 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:Harden picked us over PHI.... Rockets could be pissed, Philly offer seem so much better. Simmons alone is the best prospect.

I have no doubt Tillman didn't want to gift Philly Harden.

Their offer was far better than ours.

I'm shocked thats all it took to get him to be honest.

Tillman is an idiot.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,857

Post#220 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:00 pm

Cockers wrote:Happy im no brooklyn fan. 2 problem players on the team... good luck

Your name suits you.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to Brooklyn Nets