Lowry goes home to Philly

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,369

Lowry goes home to Philly 

Post#1 » by TD2FutureStar » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:43 am

Trade idea -

Raptors trade : Lowry

Reasoning is simple. Currently 2-8 and a rebuild is needed. Playing in Tampa and this is a deep draft. There's no better time than now to pull this move off and send Lowry to a contender in his home town.

Sixers trade: 2021 1st +prospect(s) (Maxey, Thybule) Green+ Scott as salary fillers

Philly won't likely have enough cap space to sign Lowry as a UFA next season, so a trade now is necessary and allows the team to compete for a title immediately. Lowry fits the roster like a glove and gives the team much need championship experience.

Final thought:
I think the amount of picks and prospects can be negotiated between both sides. I love the premise of the deal it just makes too much sense for both sides. Would love to hear opinions on how much Philly needs to give up to obtain Lowry.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,360

Re: Lowry goes home to Philly 

Post#2 » by patman66 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:53 am

they will not give up that much. I think you get the first and expiring's. Do you have any idea what the tax implications are for Philly next year?
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#3 » by TGW » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:56 am

Forget Maxey...he's not going to get traded for a 35 year old Lowry.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by TD2FutureStar » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:58 am

patman66 wrote:they will not give up that much. I think you get the first and expiring's. Do you have any idea what the tax implications are for Philly next year?

Lowry is an expiring contract and can be retained for a fraction of his current deal.

One other idea I had was involving Ben Simmons. He was rumored to be on the table for Harden and he's well aware of the situation. If there's tension and he wants to be moved the deal could be something like Lowry+ OG + 2 2nds for Simmons + fillers. Those 2nds are basically late 1sts with how bad Toronto is this year.
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by TD2FutureStar » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:59 am

TGW wrote:Forget Maxey...he's not going to get traded for a 35 year old Lowry.

Thats fine. The trade proposal gives the option of Thybule or Maxey as the prospect heading to Toronto.
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by TD2FutureStar » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:02 am

patman66 wrote:they will not give up that much. I think you get the first and expiring's. Do you have any idea what the tax implications are for Philly next year?

A late first and expirings won't get it done for Lowry either. He's worth more than that. 1 prospect or another pick needs to be incoming or I don't personally see a deal being made. Toronto should have other suitors or maybe they just allow him to become a UFA.
patman66
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by patman66 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:09 am

TD2FutureStar wrote:

Lowry is an expiring contract and can be retained for a fraction of his current deal.

One other idea I had was involving Ben Simmons. He was rumored to be on the table for Harden and he's well aware of the situation. If there's tension and he wants to be moved the deal could be something like Lowry+ OG + 2 2nds for Simmons + fillers. Those 2nds are basically late 1sts with how bad Toronto is this year.

What do you mean a fraction? 90%? 20%? my guess is that he would want 2 years and 40 mill. 20 mill equals about 50 in taxes.
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by TD2FutureStar » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:12 am

patman66 wrote:
TD2FutureStar wrote:

What do you mean a fraction? 90%? 20%? my guess is that he would want 2 years and 40 mill. 20 mill equals about 50 in taxes.

Kyle will be 35 in 2 months. Unless he puts up some monster stats the rest of the year I don't see him getting more that 2/30. Could easily see him going for 10yr as well. I dont expect a huge market for him.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,297

Post#9 » by Parataxis » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:46 am

What does age have to do with anything? He's an expiring that Philly would be taking on for the rest of the season and a playoff run, not somebody signed to a long term contract. :noway:

Honestly, at this point, it's pretty much a given that every time Lowry gets mentioned, some smartguy on the board is going to lie about his age. It really is starting to feel like trolling. (Not that I'm accusing anybody of trolling, just that it's feeling that way)
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#10 » by TGW » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:00 am

Parataxis wrote:

What does age have to do with anything? He's an expiring that Philly would be taking on for the rest of the season and a playoff run, not somebody signed to a long term contract. :noway:

Honestly, at this point, it's pretty much a given that every time Lowry gets mentioned, some smartguy on the board is going to lie about his age. It really is starting to feel like trolling. (Not that I'm accusing anybody of trolling, just that it's feeling that way)

Forget Maxey...he's not getting traded for a 34 and 10/12ths year old Lowry.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,297

Post#11 » by Parataxis » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:03 am

TGW wrote:
Parataxis wrote:

Forget Maxey...he's not getting traded for a 34 and 10/12ths year old Lowry.

What does age have to do with anything? He's an expiring that Philly would be taking on for the rest of the season and a playoff run, not somebody signed to a long term contract.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,674

Post#12 » by the_process » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:09 am

On one hand: a 1st and expirings isn't enough to trade for him.

On the other: It won't cost more than 2/30 to resign him.

Those two stances are hard to jive together.

Green, Ferguson, Scott, a 1st, and the Knicks 2nd for Lowry.

Failing that, I'd be interested in Simmons and Harris for Lowry and Siakam.
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by TD2FutureStar » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:22 am

the_process wrote:On one hand: a 1st and expirings isn't enough to trade for him.

Lowry is still playing as well as his prime years so his immediate value is high. However, due to his age and injury risk at 35 it would be tough to find a team to offer much more than 2/30 imo. Maybe im wrong and he gets the 2/40. Regardless he's worth a lot more than a late 1st. I don't think that Knicks 2nd gets it done either, but it depends what the other offers are out there.

Upon your second proposal I really can't see Masai looking to deal Siakam. Otherwise I dont see the value being bad both ways.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#14 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:24 am

I like the premise of the deal a lot. Lowry would be perfect to elevate the 6ers, and I think Toronto may pivot to a rebuild.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#15 » by jimmy keys » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:44 am

This has been proposed so many times now. The consensus amongst both fans is pretty much this, Toronto fans think a late first + expirings aren't enough for Lowry, Philly fans aren't willing to add Maxey which is by far their best young asset. We'll see if either side caves by the deadline in real life.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 711

Post#16 » by Mike lorenzo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:51 am

TD2FutureStar wrote:

I actually love this one
1+1=11
patman66
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by patman66 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:24 pm

TD2FutureStar wrote:
patman66 wrote:
TD2FutureStar wrote:Lowry is an expiring contract and can be retained for a fraction of his current deal.

Kyle will be 35 in 2 months. Unless he puts up some monster stats the rest of the year I don't see him getting more that 2/30. Could easily see him going for 10yr as well. I dont expect a huge market for him.

I do at anything under 15, Mavs, Magic, sixers, Bulls, clippers etc. but even 15 which is 1/2 what he makes now it is still close to 40mill a year in taxes.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Post#18 » by GutUNC » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:27 pm

jimmy keys wrote:This has been proposed so many times now. The consensus amongst both fans is pretty much this, Toronto fans think a late first + expirings aren't enough for Lowry, Philly fans aren't willing to add Maxey which is by far their best young asset. We'll see if either side caves by the deadline in real life.

Thybulle is worth less then Maxey but still has value. I could still see him be used as a bridge here.
GDTBATH
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#19 » by youngcrev » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:33 pm

the_process wrote:On one hand: a 1st and expirings isn't enough to trade for him.

I definitely don't think that's the case. He won't be getting 30+ again, but 20+ certainly feels in the realm of possibility on a short term deal.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#20 » by youngcrev » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:34 pm

I'd be good with Thybulle/1st/expirings.

Return to Trades and Transactions