ImageImageImage

Hard to Believe Ainge will Make any Move Soon Trade Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,210

Re: Harden to Believe Ainge will Make any Move Soon Trade Thread 

Post#761 » by Tyakack » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:45 am

Ernest wrote:This idea that unless we are the heavey favorite to with the title we should be mad is just silly. Yeah LBJ is better than anyone we have. KD too. We can't really do anything about that. Unless the Lakers want to trade us LBJ, we are not going to be the heavy favorite to win the title. The 2 logical options to me seem to be to enjoy the young successful team we have, watch them grow and improve and root for them to win or just stop watching all together. I don't get the option of watching but just bitching about it every day. What's that going to change?

And it's not like we don't have any chance. Both Tatum and Brown could keep getting better to the point they are one day the best in the league. They both have a chance to do that and how many players in the league can you honestly say that about. We also have a really strong culture here. Sure Miami bounced us and that stung, but we have over achieved many times with young players. Those same players are quickly approaching their primes. So just relax and enjoy the games (whenever they return.)

I disagree with your larger points. This isn't about being heavy favorites. It's about having no realistic chance. Even if we traded for harden I don't think we'd be heavy favorites.......but we'd at least have a realistic shot. We don't now, IMO.
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,781

Post#762 » by flintsky21 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:47 am

Of course we're not afraid of these Nets. In the same way we were not concerned when Kawhi joined Toronto, or when AD joined LA, or when Butler joined Miami. We got our boatload of young players and picks. That's always better than any superstar.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,229

Post#763 » by TheSheriff » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:08 am

Tyakack wrote:
Ernest wrote:A lot of negative nancies around here. We could win a title this year or the next. We can definatly play with top teams. It just comes down to who gets hot and who gets cold, how the balls bounce. The Greek Freak is scary but he hasn't won anything yet. KD is top notch but its the first year there and things don't seem to be gelling. The Lakers are still the team to beat, but I think people will see how big a loss Rondo is in the playoffs. If Tatum and Brown want to win a title then they need to go out and win us one.

Yeah, if the best players on the top teams all break their leg maybe. The NBA is the most predictable sport there is. I don't need to wait to see which way the ball bounces. I already know it's gonna bounce into the net alot more for the nets and lakers than for us.

They have too much top heavy talent. We're talking MVP talents. The kind of players you need to win a championship.

Teams like that always win over teams like ours. I've watched enough NBA to know that. I give the nets a small chance to not work only because of how toxic their stars are..... If they do work though forget it. We won't make the finals as long as they are together. Let alone win it.

So how much money did you lose betting on the Clippers last year?
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,993

Post#764 » by cl2117 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:30 am

What's with all this pessimistic bullsh*t?

Jayson Tatum, in my opinion, is one of the top 5 players you'd choose to build you team around and we have him signed through 2026. Jaylen Brown has played better than Tatum to start this season and is signed to a bargain of a deal through 2024 and pairs excellently with Tatum.

We already have Kemba on the roster who when healthy can be the third star. It's a big when/if, but we've already see him gel with our other two stars and contribute on the same level or better than Kyrie. Smart is locked into one of the best value deals in the league. We've got 5 solid guys on rookie deals with multiple years left (Timelord, Grant, Romeo, Nesmith, Pritchard) and own all of our own future picks to leverage in trades. There is not a single bad contract on the roster (assuming health for Kemba). We have multiple guys who could breakout at some point and the largest TPE in league history to go out and add to them all.

We've got one of the best GM's in the league and one of the best coaches, both committed long-term.

We have missed the playoffs once in the last 13 years and aren't likely to miss it again for a decade plus while perennially being in the discussion as potential contenders.

Even after this Nets trade, the East is wide open to be taken. Raptors are crashing, Bucks have built poorly around Giannis and Sixers are committing to Simmons/Embiid flawed duo. Miami is no juggernaut. Hawks overcommitted and the Pacers don't have star power. Rest of the conference is trash.

Brooklyn is set up as a ticking timebomb with 3 guys who each have their own issues. Kyrie is a headcase who will be a cancer for them at some point (potentially right out of the gate), Durant is coming off an achilles injury and despite looking really good will still be a question long-term and Harden literally just pushed his way out of a contract with multiple years left. They have ZERO depth and just mortgaged all future assets for a guy who along with their other stars will all be able to be unrestricted FA's in 2 years time and ALL have bailed on their teams recently.

We are still in one of the best positions for now AND the future of any team in the league. The games don't get played on paper for a reason and it's because this league is nuts and despite being predictable it's somehow also entirely not at the same time. Everyone expected the Clippers to roll last year and no one expected Miami out of the East. We've got blue chip pieces and a roster packed with young talent and still avenues to get better year on year.

Get some perspective people, this is a great train to be on, enjoy the ride.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,210

Post#765 » by Tyakack » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:31 am

TheSheriff wrote:
Tyakack wrote:
Ernest wrote:A lot of negative nancies around here. We could win a title this year or the next. We can definatly play with top teams. It just comes down to who gets hot and who gets cold, how the balls bounce. The Greek Freak is scary but he hasn't won anything yet. KD is top notch but its the first year there and things don't seem to be gelling. The Lakers are still the team to beat, but I think people will see how big a loss Rondo is in the playoffs. If Tatum and Brown want to win a title then they need to go out and win us one.

Yeah, if the best players on the top teams all break their leg maybe. The NBA is the most predictable sport there is. I don't need to wait to see which way the ball bounces. I already know it's gonna bounce into the net alot more for the nets and lakers than for us.

They have too much top heavy talent. We're talking MVP talents. The kind of players you need to win a championship.

Teams like that always win over teams like ours. I've watched enough NBA to know that. I give the nets a small chance to not work only because of how toxic their stars are..... If they do work though forget it. We won't make the finals as long as they are together. Let alone win it.

So how much money did you lose betting on the Clippers last year?

I didn't bet on them to win the championship, so, none.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#766 » by ParticleMan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:39 am

LOL@nets with another billy king move. holy smokes, you think they would have learned last time.

i think it might go ok for the nets this year, and they make the finals. honeymoon period. but if they don't win it, watch out for the implosion. hell the implosion might happen anyways. you just don't win consistently with guys who aren't super committed to playing winning basketball.

interesting that so people here who claim we have no shot for the next 6 years. ask yourself, how long did the MIA dynasty last? and that was a signficantly better team than the nets, led by Lebron who is better than any of these guys. we are fine. we are only getting better, and we have a longer window. our guys are still improving, and we have a lot of flexibility.

not a great return for houston but under the circumstances i think they did fine. harden's value was about as low as a prime MVP player can be. some of the people here talking about what we would need to give up to get him was ludicrious. i honestly think if kemba was healthy ainge would have been in the convo had he wanted. so i'm glad kemba wasn't healthy. probably i think ainge was steering clear in any case.

i guess we'll see who's right, but i'm still predicting we win a chip before the nets.
klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Post#767 » by klemen4 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:44 am

Lets be realistic, Nets are heavy favourites...so much offensive firepower...it can be compared only to curry/kd/Thompson...but BRK also has Harris.

Bench is irrelevant now because for sure they will get the best cut FA. The worst I fear is Cleveland will cut Drummond after not being able to trade him at deadline. BRK will than offer him Dinwiddie injury exception and than its really game over.

But on other hand...there is no trio I would rather beat than:
- KD who chose gsw over us
- Kyrie who was a drama queen in Bos
- harden because of his style of play and how he behaved in last month
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,902

Post#768 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:49 am

klemen4 wrote:Lets be realistic, Nets are heavy favourites...so much offensive firepower...it can be compared only to curry/kd/Thompson...but BRK also has Harris.

Bench is irrelevant now because for sure they will get the best cut FA. The worst I fear is Cleveland will cut Drummond after not being able to trade him at deadline. BRK will than offer him Dinwiddie injury exception and than its really game over.

But on other hand...there is no trio I would rather beat than:
- KD who chose gsw over us
- Kyrie who was a drama queen in Bos
- harden because of his style of play and how he behaved in last month

KD/Irving/Harden is a nearly 100% guaranteed drama. All 3 are drama queens. I legit see these guys giving up 120+ points a game and I also could see this fall apart quick especially if the results don't come straight away.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#769 » by grantlongforpresident » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:45 am

I’m not a fan of this deal for the nets. It’s too risky. If it ends up being Allen, Lavert, and a bunch of late 1sts and the pick swaps don’t pan out... then it’s ok. But if things go haywire they could deeply regret this move.
Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,428

Post#770 » by Theocy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:15 am

Kyrie is bolting. This was part of the original iluminatti plan. He knew nets would be an issue and went there to mess them up from the inside.

I'd offer some oregano and 2 boxes of scented candles (to get rid of the ' burning weird stuff to cleanse the locker room' residues) and 2 second round picks for him :lol:

All in all, if he comes back (he will this is all just bull) harden Kyrie and durand become one of the biggest big 3s ever.
batabatuta
Pro Prospect
And1: 754

Post#771 » by batabatuta » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:20 am

So this really is the next era of the NBA, more superteams. Star players from small markets leave and will go to bigger ones. Unless some NBA new ruling comes, this won't stop. There will come a time when every time will form their own Warrior lineup, not satisfied with just the Big 3. I'm confident, the Celtics are just one key starter piece away. The Jays and Kemba and one more.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,314

Post#772 » by Homerclease » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#773 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:14 pm

Tyakack wrote:
Ernest wrote:This idea that unless we are the heavey favorite to with the title we should be mad is just silly. Yeah LBJ is better than anyone we have. KD too. We can't really do anything about that. Unless the Lakers want to trade us LBJ, we are not going to be the heavy favorite to win the title. The 2 logical options to me seem to be to enjoy the young successful team we have, watch them grow and improve and root for them to win or just stop watching all together. I don't get the option of watching but just bitching about it every day. What's that going to change?

And it's not like we don't have any chance. Both Tatum and Brown could keep getting better to the point they are one day the best in the league. They both have a chance to do that and how many players in the league can you honestly say that about. We also have a really strong culture here. Sure Miami bounced us and that stung, but we have over achieved many times with young players. Those same players are quickly approaching their primes. So just relax and enjoy the games (whenever they return.)

I disagree with your larger points. This isn't about being heavy favorites. It's about having no realistic chance. Even if we traded for harden I don't think we'd be heavy favorites.......but we'd at least have a realistic shot. We don't now, IMO.

I'm trying to think of an NBA championship team with such a preponderance of dubiously competitive flakes, and none is coming to mind. Shaq only won with Kobe or Wade. I have no idea whether the Wilt Sixers are an example, but the Wilt Lakers had West.

Who, if anybody, am I forgetting?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

Post#774 » by GWVan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:31 pm

This is insane, the league needs parity, The knicks need to build a super team so that both NY and LA will have two and we are guaranteed a NY-LA finals.
Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Post#775 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:37 pm

GWVan wrote:This is insane, the league needs parity, The knicks need to build a super team so that both NY and LA will have two and we are guaranteed a NY-LA finals.

Parity has never been a strong suit in the NBA but I can live with it when one team drafts well and gets franchise players.

I'm having a hard time with this buddy ball culture where guys just want to play with their friends or get traded to certain teams.

They will never ever be parity in the NBA especially after what we witnessed yesterday when Harden was holding the rockets hostage and they ended up rewarding him by trading him to exactly the place he wanted.

Owners are completely powerless
*Insert witty signature here.*
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,393

Post#776 » by Triple7 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:59 pm

cl2117 wrote:What's with all this pessimistic bullsh*t?

Jayson Tatum, in my opinion, is one of the top 5 players you'd choose to build you team around and we have him signed through 2026. Jaylen Brown has played better than Tatum to start this season and is signed to a bargain of a deal through 2024 and pairs excellently with Tatum.

We already have Kemba on the roster who when healthy can be the third star. It's a big when/if, but we've already see him gel with our other two stars and contribute on the same level or better than Kyrie. Smart is locked into one of the best value deals in the league. We've got 5 solid guys on rookie deals with multiple years left (Timelord, Grant, Romeo, Nesmith, Pritchard) and own all of our own future picks to leverage in trades. There is not a single bad contract on the roster (assuming health for Kemba). We have multiple guys who could breakout at some point and the largest TPE in league history to go out and add to them all.

We've got one of the best GM's in the league and one of the best coaches, both committed long-term.

We have missed the playoffs once in the last 13 years and aren't likely to miss it again for a decade plus while perennially being in the discussion as potential contenders.

Even after this Nets trade, the East is wide open to be taken. Raptors are crashing, Bucks have built poorly around Giannis and Sixers are committing to Simmons/Embiid flawed duo. Miami is no juggernaut. Hawks overcommitted and the Pacers don't have star power. Rest of the conference is trash.

Brooklyn is set up as a ticking timebomb with 3 guys who each have their own issues. Kyrie is a headcase who will be a cancer for them at some point (potentially right out of the gate), Durant is coming off an achilles injury and despite looking really good will still be a question long-term and Harden literally just pushed his way out of a contract with multiple years left. They have ZERO depth and just mortgaged all future assets for a guy who along with their other stars will all be able to be unrestricted FA's in 2 years time and ALL have bailed on their teams recently.

We are still in one of the best positions for now AND the future of any team in the league. The games don't get played on paper for a reason and it's because this league is nuts and despite being predictable it's somehow also entirely not at the same time. Everyone expected the Clippers to roll last year and no one expected Miami out of the East. We've got blue chip pieces and a roster packed with young talent and still avenues to get better year on year.

Get some perspective people, this is a great train to be on, enjoy the ride.

I don’t know about that!
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#777 » by sam_I_am » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:14 pm

Maybe the NBA will extend the shot clock to 40 sec. so both Irving and Harden can dribble for 15 sec. each possession. The only way it works - and it would be awesome to watch if it does - is if Harden is ball dominant and Irving, Durant and Harris spread the floor and catch and shoot/drive playing off of Harden.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#778 » by Bohemian » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:15 pm

Our team needs to add talent in order to become a contender. I think you have two ways to do it at least:

1) Trust this core of Kemba, Jayson and Jaylen. In order for this team to compete you need to add some players via the different TPEs created. We need at least a versatile forward (Barnes?) or an offensive weapon (Ross?) to give his core a chance to advance to the Eastern Conference finals again. I don´t believe this team as it is, will be able to get there right now. And the finals are really unlikely.

2) Use once or several of Brown, Smart, Theis to get a player like Beal. And also you would need to add players for the bench anyway.

I guess Danny will choose 1. But doing nothing takes us to disappointment in the playoffs. We have a worse team than last year. I think any fan can agree with this, at least.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#779 » by sam_I_am » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:18 pm

Danny could try to trade Kemba plus assets for Beal. A Smart, Beal, Brown, Tatum, Thompson starting 5 would be a legit contender and fearsome defensive force. Would still have TPE to make a move to solidify roster.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#780 » by Bohemian » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:20 pm

sam_I_am wrote:Danny could try to trade Kemba plus assets for Beal. A Smart, Beal, Brown, Tatum, Thompson starting 5 would be a legit contender and fearsome defensive force. Would still have TPE to make a move to solidify roster.

The problem is Kemba has no value until he proves he´s healthy. And if healthy, I´d rather keep him. In your starting 5 -which is very, very good - you are lacking a creator. Smart can´t play PG.

Return to Boston Celtics