ImageImageImage

Hard to Believe Ainge will Make any Move Soon Trade Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Re: Harden to Believe Ainge will Make any Move Soon Trade Thread 

Post#781 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:53 pm

cl2117 wrote:What's with all this pessimistic bullsh*t?

Jayson Tatum, in my opinion, is one of the top 5 players you'd choose to build you team around and we have him signed through 2026. Jaylen Brown has played better than Tatum to start this season and is signed to a bargain of a deal through 2024 and pairs excellently with Tatum.

We already have Kemba on the roster who when healthy can be the third star. It's a big when/if, but we've already see him gel with our other two stars and contribute on the same level or better than Kyrie. Smart is locked into one of the best value deals in the league. We've got 5 solid guys on rookie deals with multiple years left (Timelord, Grant, Romeo, Nesmith, Pritchard) and own all of our own future picks to leverage in trades. There is not a single bad contract on the roster (assuming health for Kemba). We have multiple guys who could breakout at some point and the largest TPE in league history to go out and add to them all.

We've got one of the best GM's in the league and one of the best coaches, both committed long-term.

We have missed the playoffs once in the last 13 years and aren't likely to miss it again for a decade plus while perennially being in the discussion as potential contenders.

Even after this Nets trade, the East is wide open to be taken. Raptors are crashing, Bucks have built poorly around Giannis and Sixers are committing to Simmons/Embiid flawed duo. Miami is no juggernaut. Hawks overcommitted and the Pacers don't have star power. Rest of the conference is trash.

Brooklyn is set up as a ticking timebomb with 3 guys who each have their own issues. Kyrie is a headcase who will be a cancer for them at some point (potentially right out of the gate), Durant is coming off an achilles injury and despite looking really good will still be a question long-term and Harden literally just pushed his way out of a contract with multiple years left. They have ZERO depth and just mortgaged all future assets for a guy who along with their other stars will all be able to be unrestricted FA's in 2 years time and ALL have bailed on their teams recently.

We are still in one of the best positions for now AND the future of any team in the league. The games don't get played on paper for a reason and it's because this league is nuts and despite being predictable it's somehow also entirely not at the same time. Everyone expected the Clippers to roll last year and no one expected Miami out of the East. We've got blue chip pieces and a roster packed with young talent and still avenues to get better year on year.

Get some perspective people, this is a great train to be on, enjoy the ride.

I am pessimistic because we had team Lebron coming out of the east 8 seasons in a row and we knew this before the seasons even started. For two years there was some unknowns in the east with the Raps winning and Miami making an improbable finals run.

Now the east is back to 2010-2018 all over again where, unless the Nets have some catastrophic injuries, Brooklyn could come out of the east for the next several years. I don't think it will be an 8 year run like team Lebron had but it could be 3 or 4. The only thing they people can hope for is that this implodes. Worse case is Irving stays AWAL and the Nets are as good as the Lakers were last year, best case is he plays and they are the Warriors during their run.

Tatum, Brown are good and maybe Walker as well if he is healthy but the nets have elite talent. Durant and Harden are top 5 players and Irving is a top 5 PG in the NBA. Yeah they don't have much depth as I type this (Lakers didn't either and they won last year) but some ring chasers will sign there for free.

It is just very disheartening when it finally looks like there was some semblance of uncertainty in the east then this happens.
*Insert witty signature here.*
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,147

Post#782 » by itrsteve » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:53 pm

This question popped in my head last night and I feel very conflicted.

Not that I want this to happen BUT, if the finals is Nets vs Lakers, who do you root for?
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,859

Post#783 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:54 pm

16 hours since Harden was traded to the Nets and we still don't have a "FIRE DANNY AINGE" thread. So proud of you guys!

24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,849

Post#784 » by 24istheLAW » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:58 pm

Tyakack wrote:Yeah, if the best players on the top teams all break their leg maybe. The NBA is the most predictable sport there is. I don't need to wait to see which way the ball bounces. I already know it's gonna bounce into the net alot more for the nets and lakers than for us.

They have too much top heavy talent. We're talking MVP talents. The kind of players you need to win a championship.

Teams like that always win over teams like ours. I've watched enough NBA to know that. I give the nets a small chance to not work only because of how toxic their stars are..... If they do work though forget it. We won't make the finals as long as they are together. Let alone win it.

I don't think the Celtics are that close either. But you can't compare basketball players like LeBron, AD, Kawhi, etc. to these empty stats dudes. As efficient of a halfcourt scorer Harden is, it was with CP3 when that team was good enough to get over the hump. Hell, the Nets were better without Kyrie last year than with him.

For the Celtics, the path to get to the next level remains the same as it was before. They need to find a 1A to Tatum's 1B. Obviously it's unlikely, but that's what you need to win titles. They probably missed the boat on Kawhi in hindsight, and it's unclear when the next opportunity will come. Right now the 1A guy is Giannis and he just re-upped.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#785 » by Bohemian » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:58 pm

itrsteve wrote:This question popped in my head last night and I feel very conflicted.

Not that I want this to happen BUT, if the finals is Nets vs Lakers, who do you root for?

Nets, obviously
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#786 » by Wes-J » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:04 pm

Glad that's over with.

Now I just wish for everyone to discuss how we get Beal without giving up Brown. :nod:

This should be Ainge's singular focus as of right now.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#787 » by ddb » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:08 pm

it's mind blowing how many teams (Bucks/Nets the latest) are willing to mortgage so many future draft assets for a 2-3 year window. I get that the whole point of playing professional sports is to win championships, but holy smokes! This is another Pierce/KG fleecing with the Nets once again giving up their entire chest of draft assets. Honestly, if it came down to Nets/Lakers I just wouldn't watch. A game filled with a bunch of stars, none of which were drafted by the team they play for. All cry baby, rich losers that force their way to form super teams.

I'll of course be rooting for the Celtics. Bucks have home grown talent so they are fine in my book. Philly too. Miami too. I can't stand those teams but I'd rather they win then BK or one of the LA teams. enough is enough. history will remember this generation of stars as the era of stars ganging up and forming super teams. its a shame because there is some incredible talent in this era.....
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#788 » by JediMasterRevan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:10 pm

Floody100 wrote:Is Oladipo someone we should try go after ?

IMO, Yes, why not kick the tires on that deal immediately. I do not believe that the Harden deal is so completely finished that the Celtics cannot jump in on it now for Dipo.
ddb
RealGM

Post#789 » by ddb » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:10 pm

Wes-J wrote:Glad that's over with.

Now I just wish for everyone to discuss how we get Beal without giving up Brown. :nod:

not going to happen. If we learned anything the past couple months it's that there will always be at least 1 desperate team willing to give up a hundred draft picks to get a deal done. Danny Ainge isn't stupid. He isn't trading Brown, who's now on a great contract by the way, and he isn't mortgaging the Celtics future for 1 guy.
ddb
RealGM

Post#790 » by ddb » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:18 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:

IMO, Yes, why not kick the tires on that deal immediately. I do not believe that the Harden deal is so completely finished that the Celtics cannot jump in on it now for Dipo.

so this is interesting. Houston post-Harden is 100% going to tank straight into the ground in hopes that they can keep their pick 1-3. Strong draft class at the top so this gives them an opportunity to accelerate their build by adding a potential franchise cornerstone in Cunningham, Mobley, Green, or Suggs. Having Dipo on an expiring contact makes zero sense for them. I'd fully expect them to flip Dipo to the highest bidder sooner than later.
From Boston's perspective, they should absolutely make a phone call to discuss Dipo. They have the TPE to help absorb the contract, and if Ainge is willing to fork over a young player and pick he could be in play to acquire Dipo. My thought is that Boston probably wouldn't win the bid. I think there will be a team willing to give up more with the hopes of re-signing Dipo long-term after the season. For Boston they are risking the deal being a rental. So I doubt Ainge would be willing to give up what Houston will be seeking in return. And even if Ainge was interested in bird rights and signing Dipo to a new contract, or flipping him for another TPE in the summer, I'd say its unlikely Dipo would want to be in Boston knowing that he's a 3rd option at best as a Celtic.

Miami is a good fit but they probably won't look to trade for Dipo as they can sign him outright this offseason. Philly is another good fit as Dipo would be their 3rd best player, but their #1 closer. There are a handful of teams that Dipo would make sense going to. Will be interesting to see what happens.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#791 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:25 pm

ddb wrote:it's mind blowing how many teams (Bucks/Nets the latest) are willing to mortgage so many future draft assets for a 2-3 year window. I get that the whole point of playing professional sports is to win championships, but holy smokes! This is another Pierce/KG fleecing with the Nets once again giving up their entire chest of draft assets. Honestly, if it came down to Nets/Lakers I just wouldn't watch. A game filled with a bunch of stars, none of which were drafted by the team they play for. All cry baby, rich losers that force their way to form super teams.

I'll of course be rooting for the Celtics. Bucks have home grown talent so they are fine in my book. Philly too. Miami too. I can't stand those teams but I'd rather they win then BK or one of the LA teams.

Because a 2-3 year window where you actually compete and can actually WIN championships is better than just being really good and hoping on internal growth and luck. Most championship windows don’t last longer than 2-4 years anyways and in this era of player movement and empowerment that’s about as good as it’s gonna get.

This is how the league is now and will CONTINUE to be. A dude just showed up overweight, played half speed and threw his entire team under the bus and then got what he WANTED. AD the same last year. It can happen to any team with any superstar including us with Tatum in about 4 years. **** it’s gonna happen again in 2-6 months with beal.

we rebuilt during lebrons heat run , we waited on golden state or positioned ourselves to be next after them, kyrie left so we pivot and build with the young guys right? No we signed kemba- Meanwhile lakers reload, another super team forms and we are kicking the can down the road.

Guess what? There will be another super tteam assembled somewhere else and in the way AGAIN. You cant have ainge be wreckless and making **** deals and going nuts to force stuff but we didn’t upgrade the bench last year, came into this year with another **** bench on paper and it’s tbd if he will upgrade it this season.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,950

Post#792 » by Bad-Thoma » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:29 pm

I just want to be on record saying I don't think this is going to work out that well for Brooklyn. People are comparing them to GS but GS had efficient scorers all around outside of Draymond, a great D, and guys who didn't need the ball in their hands to be effective. Outside of Harden that star trio has obvious durability issues to worry about, a potentially volatile chemistry with all 3 stars having a history of questionable moments as teammates, no depth and outside of Durant a really unimpressive defensive lineup. They'll be scary in the regular season and some nights they are going to run up the score, undoubtedly, but even if they make the finals I don't see them getting past the Lakers. There is also a question mark in Steve Nash as a head coach, we certainly haven't seen enough to know how that is going to go.

I don't know if it's logic, gut, or a bit of both but I'm not scared of Brooklyn despite the big names. Too many question marks for me.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#793 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:29 pm

Sure, we can do that, but the only way to get Beal and keep Brown means were trading Tatum and that one doesnt really make sense either.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,318

Post#794 » by Triple7 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:30 pm

sam_I_am wrote:Danny could try to trade Kemba plus assets for Beal. A Smart, Beal, Brown, Tatum, Thompson starting 5 would be a legit contender and fearsome defensive force. Would still have TPE to make a move to solidify roster.

That would be a good lineup, we could compete if we only had a legit rim protector in the middle. TT won’t just cut it. He doesn’t block shots and doesn’t play above the rim. We are better off with timelord at the middle. Is there a way we can get Jarret Allen? :D
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,605

Post#795 » by BK_2020 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:30 pm

Trade for Simmons now, play him at center, be the fastest, most fastbreakest team in the history of the NBA
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,605

Post#796 » by BK_2020 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:32 pm

Triple7 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:Danny could try to trade Kemba plus assets for Beal. A Smart, Beal, Brown, Tatum, Thompson starting 5 would be a legit contender and fearsome defensive force. Would still have TPE to make a move to solidify roster.

That would be a good lineup, we could compete if we only had a legit rim protector in the middle. TT won’t just cut it. He doesn’t block shots and doesn’t play above the rim. We are better off with timelord at the middle. Is there a way we can get Jarret Allen? :D

Jarret Allen career block % = 4.4
Daniel Theis career block % = 4.5
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,318

Post#797 » by Triple7 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:37 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Sure, we can do that, but the only way to get Beal and keep Brown means were trading Tatum and that one doesnt really make sense either.

I don’t think we need Beal now, just as long as Kemba returns fully healthy. Lets focus on getting someone like Jarret allen to man the middle. Man, how i wish we have a guy like that that can grab 13-15 boards consistently, and can finish around the rim easily. Someone that tall and long, that can really bother alter shots. Tatum can play the 4, with not much pressure to help guard other teams 5.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#798 » by JediMasterRevan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:38 pm

ddb wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:

so this is interesting. Houston post-Harden is 100% going to tank straight into the ground in hopes that they can keep their pick 1-3. Strong draft class at the top so this gives them an opportunity to accelerate their build by adding a potential franchise cornerstone in Cunningham, Mobley, Green, or Suggs. Having Dipo on an expiring contact makes zero sense for them. I'd fully expect them to flip Dipo to the highest bidder sooner than later.
From Boston's perspective, they should absolutely make a phone call to discuss Dipo. They have the TPE to help absorb the contract, and if Ainge is willing to fork over a young player and pick he could be in play to acquire Dipo. My thought is that Boston probably wouldn't win the bid. I think there will be a team willing to give up more with the hopes of re-signing Dipo long-term after the season. For Boston they are risking the deal being a rental. So I doubt Ainge would be willing to give up what Houston will be seeking in return. And even if Ainge was interested in bird rights and signing Dipo to a new contract, or flipping him for another TPE in the summer, I'd say its unlikely Dipo would want to be in Boston knowing that he's a 3rd option at best as a Celtic.

Miami is a good fit but they probably won't look to trade for Dipo as they can sign him outright this offseason. Philly is another good fit as Dipo would be their 3rd best player, but their #1 closer. There are a handful of teams that Dipo would make sense going to. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Is it possible to do something like

Dipo, Theis or TImelord and picks to Washington
Edwards, TPE, Picks to Houston

Beal to Boston?
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#799 » by JediMasterRevan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:38 pm

Triple7 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

I don’t think we need Beal now, just as long as Kemba returns fully healthy. Lets focus on getting someone like Jarret allen to man the middle. Man, how i wish we have a guy like that that can grab 13-15 boards consistently, and can finish around the rim easily. Someone that tall and long, that can really bother alter shots. Tatum can play the 4, with not much pressure to help guard other teams 5.

Timelord does all of those things.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#800 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:41 pm

I will say this: if Kyrie is going to retire or some ****, this is a no-brainer for Brooklyn.

Return to Boston Celtics