Shams: Oladipo to Houston for Levert in Harden trade (Deal Complete)

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Re: Shams: Oladipo to Houston for Levert in Harden trade 

Post#61 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:23 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Guess Indy wasn't as confident about keeping Oladipo as you guys made it sound a few days ago.

Congrats on LeVert.

Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bushes.

I think it is really about getting out of the tax this year and not wanting to end up in the tax next year.

Disagree. I think it was knowing Vic wasn't coming back and getting a suitable replacement for him. Levert is a really good player and has 2 more years left.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#62 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:25 pm

I may be in the minority here but I loved this the minute I saw it. Vic had turned Diva. We will never know what was going on behind the scenes, but I've been convinced since the whole bubble deal that he would not resign. Levert is a very nice player that has a couple of years left on his contract. I think this was an excellent move. The alternative is play Dipo out this year and lose him for nothing (maybe a S&T who knows).
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#63 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:40 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:J.Michael’s with his “his was destined though we never reported it at any point” take, too :lol:

I'm not going to hunt for it, but I think JMichael would say he did report it although maybe just in tweets and not the Star. wasn't he one of the people writing about Vic telling players from other teams that he'd like to play with them?
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
MoMan24
Analyst
And1: 3,615

Post#64 » by MoMan24 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:48 pm

I'm not a Pacers fan but if I was I would be so happy. We are talking about a player who has not played close to a full season since 17-18. A player who was most likely going to walk away this summer after he opts out. A player who was not even your 2nd best player this year. You got a younger, hungrier, taller version of Victor in LeVert. Basically you got the guy who you all feel in love with in 17-18 who just wanted to show the league he has arrived. Also this was great value for a injury prone, semi disgruntled, expiring contract, and a player outside the top 20. Some of you rate your assets way to high.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#65 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:49 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Disappointed because, as mentioned, I feel like the Pacers should have gotten more out of the trade. It really feels like the team could have insisted on wanting the Bucks FRP that Rockets got.

do you have any doubt that they asked for more and no one was willing to agree? we got a 2nd round pick swap and I'm confident we would have asked for a first round pick swap instead only to be rebuffed.

which is not to say I don't share your disappointment. I also wish we'd been able to get a FRP. I just am not blaming Pritchard for making the trade anyway.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#66 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:51 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:I was traveling when I heard this about 430 pm. I'm not really happy about it but if LeVert can stay healthy it may be ok.

Vic wasn't playing in back to backs and there are plenty of them in this year's compressed schedule. it shouldn't take too much for LeVert to stay healthy enough not to miss more games than Vic was going to miss.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,061

Post#67 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:53 pm

Another thing to consider is Oladipo is trade eligible again on March 4th, a few weeks before the trade deadline. My guess is he gets dealt again and that will really give you an idea of just how well you made out in this deal.

Levert and Brogdon together are a really nice pair moving forward. Neither is a true Point Guard, but both are plus facilitators and both have really good size. You have a lot of good players on good contracts and at this point I view you as a better version of the Jazz.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#68 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:55 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Guess Indy wasn't as confident about keeping Oladipo as you guys made it sound a few days ago.

Congrats on LeVert.

Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bushes.

I think it is really about getting out of the tax this year and not wanting to end up in the tax next year.

Disagree. I think it was knowing Vic wasn't coming back and getting a suitable replacement for him. Levert is a really good player and has 2 more years left.

Ok let me expand on what I meant. I said 2 months ago that I though Victor would play 20 games or so for the Pacers and if he played well his value would go up. He's played pretty well so far. Then with him playing well he'd become more expensive to sign, assuming he could be signed $30-34 million a year is pretty tough to do on this team with the current payroll. This is the main issue I had with the Gordon Hayward thing. It would make next years payroll hit the tax. The pacers want to remain under the tax line. Benefits of not being in the tax are huge from the rebate to the MLE.

So I said that if Vic played well he'd be traded by the trade dead line because of the tax issue. The fact that we were $500k into the tax this year and now we are not can't be over looked. It's not just the $750K we would have to pay in tax or what ever it is, but the other implications of being in the tax.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#69 » by Topofthekey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:56 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:
I think we're all going to be quite happy with the trade

It's definitely the safe and smart play. At the same time, one gets tired of playing it safe all the time, you know? :lol:

True. But then again, there's a ceiling on how far the team can go by throwing the max at Vic, and it doesn't look like a very high ceiling

Now, if the team wants to combine 2 or 3 of their good players (Myles, Domas, Levert, Brogdon) into one overall better player, that could be spicy
Wizop
RealGM

Post#70 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:03 pm

JMAC3 wrote:LeVert and Brogdon together are a really nice pair moving forward. Neither is a true Point Guard, but both are plus facilitators and both have really good size.

which also means that both can play with AHoliday, McConnell, or Sumner. Lamb and LeVert might not work but Lamb can play with any of the other four. I probably should have put Lecque and Stanley in there somewhere.

I intentionally left out McDermott, Martin, and JHoliday as this move should keep them as 3s. however, the do add flexibility on the wing particularly after Warren returns.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#71 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:12 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Now, if the team wants to combine 2 or 3 of their good players (Myles, Domas, Levert, Brogdon) into one overall better player, that could be spicy

I'd hate that. the team ball I like to watch will be just fine with five players each making 18 to 20.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by Topofthekey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:18 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Ok let me expand on what I meant. I said 2 months ago that I though Victor would play 20 games or so for the Pacers and if he played well his value would go up. He's played pretty well so far. Then with him playing well he'd become more expensive to sign, assuming he could be signed $30-34 million a year is pretty tough to do on this team with the current payroll. This is the main issue I had with the Gordon Hayward thing. It would make next years payroll hit the tax. The pacers want to remain under the tax line. Benefits of not being in the tax are huge from the rebate to the MLE.

So I said that if Vic played well he'd be traded by the trade dead line because of the tax issue. The fact that we were $500k into the tax this year and now we are not can't be over looked. It's not just the $750K we would have to pay in tax or what ever it is, but the other implications of being in the tax.

I also like that getting out of having to overpay Vic means it's going to be easier for the team to bring back Doug and T-Mac, if necessary

And without the Vic's max contract looming over the team, Pacers can also now consider taking on a long term contract via trade

Specifically, I'm thinking about something like Doug + Lamb + sweetener for Harrison Barnes, if the Kings are looking to jettison his contract

The team needs big-ish forward who can slide over to PF when one of Domas or Myles sits, and Barnes fits that role. He will also be a good replacement SF this year while Warren is out
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#73 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:22 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Another thing to consider is Oladipo is trade eligible again on March 4th, a few weeks before the trade deadline. My guess is he gets dealt again and that will really give you an idea of just how well you made out in this deal.

Levert and Brogdon together are a really nice pair moving forward. Neither is a true Point Guard, but both are plus facilitators and both have really good size. You have a lot of good players on good contracts and at this point I view you as a better version of the Jazz.

I agree that Victor might be moving on from Houston. I think he has delusions of becoming some kind of Pop Star singer. I can't see either LA team being able to get him maybe the Clippers but they are in the tax so I'm not sure how they can get him. He's been rumored to want to go to Miami but I'm again not sure what they can send Houston that would interest them. I'd guess the Knicks might be a destination for him but again what have they got that the Rockets would want?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#74 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:29 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:31 pm

Wizop wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Disappointed because, as mentioned, I feel like the Pacers should have gotten more out of the trade. It really feels like the team could have insisted on wanting the Bucks FRP that Rockets got.

do you have any doubt that they asked for more and no one was willing to agree? we got a 2nd round pick swap and I'm confident we would have asked for a first round pick swap instead only to be rebuffed.

which is not to say I don't share your disappointment. I also wish we'd been able to get a FRP. I just am not blaming Pritchard for making the trade anyway.

I never saw it reported as a swap. Every report is that Indy just got Houston’s 2023 2nd. Where’d you see it as a swap?
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,061

Post#76 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:33 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Another thing to consider is Oladipo is trade eligible again on March 4th, a few weeks before the trade deadline. My guess is he gets dealt again and that will really give you an idea of just how well you made out in this deal.

I agree that Victor might be moving on from Houston. I think he has delusions of becoming some kind of Pop Star singer. I can't see either LA team being able to get him maybe the Clippers but they are in the tax so I'm not sure how they can get him. He's been rumored to want to go to Miami but I'm again not sure what they can send Houston that would interest them. I'd guess the Knicks might be a destination for him but again what have they got that the Rockets would want?

Miami has tons of salaries they can use to match.

Dragic 18 mil
Iggy 15 mil
Olynck 12 mil
Leonard 9 Mil

Then they have younger guys a rebuilding team should want
Herro- not giving him up for Dipo
Robinson- maybe they would
Achiuwa- Young valuable big
Nunn- could be interesting

Wouldn't be that hard to piece together two of these guys for Victor and then basically have him in house and easy to resign this summer.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:34 pm

He’s re tradeable immediately. He cannot be combined with other players to aggregate salary until March 4th.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by Topofthekey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:36 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Hmmm

Brogdon
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:39 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

We only had to waive Kelan Martin by mid February to get under the tax this year. Paying the tax was never gonna happen.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#80 » by Pacersike » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:42 pm

Caris Le Vert.

Very near French for Caress The Green :) .

Capital V for our utter respect :) .

Already a big fan of him :lol: .

Return to Indiana Pacers