Image ImageImage Image

J.Allen & Drummond

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

J.Allen & Drummond 

Post#1 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:31 am

I kinda regret we didnt get involved in Nets/Rockets/Pacers/Cavs trade, as Jarrett Allen was traded for cheap. I think he would be nice upgrade over WCJ, because we need defensive stoper, we need someone who can defend,rebound and block in the paint..
Cavs now have two starters on C, one of them will be traded or they will wait it out and see what happens in FA.

But I think we should still consider going after one or another, Drummond will be UFA, Allen RFA !? Drummond is older, but still only 27yrs old..
MisterRoy
Veteran
And1: 1,001

J.Allen & Drummond 

Post#2 » by MisterRoy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:24 pm

PrimzyBulls81 wrote:I kinda regret we didnt get involved in Nets/Rockets/Pacers/Cavs trade, as Jarrett Allen was traded for cheap. I think he would be nice upgrade over WCJ, because we need defensive stoper, we need someone who can defend,rebound and block in the paint..
Cavs now have two starters on C, one of them will be traded or they will wait it out and see what happens in FA.

But I think we should still consider going after one or another, Drummond will be UFA, Allen RFA !? Drummond is older, but still only 27yrs old..

Looking at that roster they have 5 centers and 1 small forward. Maybe a direct 1-1 trade of Drummond for Porter is something both teams can discuss. Since both contracts are expiring, both teams can get a look at their respective players with no negative impact to salaries.

Sent from somewhere you've never been.
Onibuh
Senior
And1: 217

Re: J.Allen & Drummond 

Post#3 » by Onibuh » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:45 pm

Drummond would be a huge upgrade. If not much more is involved than Porter this would be a smart trade to make.
MisterRoy
Veteran

J.Allen & Drummond 

Post#4 » by MisterRoy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:21 pm

It might light a fire under Carter and get him to play better or prove that he is expendible and can be used in a trade later in the season with a plan to resign Drummond.

Either way we get better at the center position, which is something we desperately need.

MisterRoy
Veteran

J.Allen & Drummond 

Post#5 » by MisterRoy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:22 pm

...and the dude is averaging 18/15. Yeah, we could use that.

MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Post#6 » by MGB8 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:37 pm

I'm kind of torn on the idea - at least until after this season.

On the one hand, Drummond is only 27 years old and was a bit part of why Cleveland started out much better than expected. While his defense declined a bit until this year, his rebounding effort doesn't seem to change whether it's contract year or not.

On the other hand, IMO the Bulls best shot at building a contention level team is to miss the playoffs this year, get a mid-to-late lotto pick, and, as the Warriors (Steph Curry, Klay Thompson), Bucks (Giannis), Pacers (Paul George), Heat (Bam), Blazers (Dame), Suns (Booker), and even past teams like the Mavericks (Dirk), Celtics (Pierce) and Lakers (Kobe) have done in the past... knock that sucker out of the park in what is expected to be a very good draft.

I'm afraid that a mid-season trade for Drummond might risk improving the Bulls too much. At the same time, outside of a mid-season trade, I'm not sure that Drummond will be actually available for the Bulls (6 teams with money to spend in the offseason). Also, he still only shoots FTs at 52% - you almost need an "offense / defense" substitution option with him at the end of games - so how much do you want to spend in light of that.
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#7 » by gobullschi » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 pm

Move OPJ to Phili for a 1st. (They might be desperate now that Harden is in Brooklyn)

Draft day - trade Bulls ‘21 1st, Phili ‘21 1st, & WCJ (possibly a future 1st depending on where the Bulls pick) for a top 5 pick.

Sign Drummond and either Conley (Coby mentor) or Talen Horton-Tucker in the offseason.

I’m fine moving Lauri to center to close out games if they start fouling Dre
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#8 » by Leslie Forman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:04 pm

Like runningbacks, spending big on a true center who is anything less than one of the GOATs is a waste of money.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:32 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:Like runningbacks, spending big on a true center who is anything less than one of the GOATs is a waste of money.

Maybe, but Bulls are weak on C and we need upgrade to be relevant team again. WCJ and Gafford wont get us there...
leo921
Senior
And1: 216

Post#10 » by leo921 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:06 pm

gobullschi wrote:Move OPJ to Phili for a 1st. (They might be desperate now that Harden is in Brooklyn)

Draft day - trade Bulls ‘21 1st, Phili ‘21 1st, & WCJ (possibly a future 1st depending on where the Bulls pick) for a top 5 pick.

Sign Drummond and either Conley (Coby mentor) or Talen Horton-Tucker in the offseason.

I’m fine moving Lauri to center to close out games if they start fouling Dre

I like the idea of a 76ers trade, I want thybulle and a 1st. Closest I can get to a legal doable trade is Green(15.3m expiring), Mike Scott(5m expiring), Thybulle(2.7m) and 76ers first for Otto.

I like it for both. 76ers add a solid 3nD in Otto, go with something like Simmons/Curry/Otto/Harris/Embiid, while we maintain our FA money with Green/Scott expiring and getting solid assets in Thybulle(greatD with chances of developing an offensive game, especially with our new coaching and development system) and a 1st that we can package to move up in the drat.
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#11 » by gobullschi » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:07 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:Like runningbacks, spending big on a true center who is anything less than one of the GOATs is a waste of money.

I think the league agrees with you, considering how little the Cavs needed to give up to get him. It ultimately depends on what kind of contract he signs.

I’m sure he wants to play on a winner since he’s been on awful team his entire career.
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,176

Post#12 » by _txchilibowl_ » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:40 pm

Count me out. I'd rather use whatever trade assets we have to build for the future. Drummond isn't someone I want to invest in...
mtron32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,997

Post#13 » by mtron32 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:45 pm

MisterRoy wrote:
PrimzyBulls81 wrote:I kinda regret we didnt get involved in Nets/Rockets/Pacers/Cavs trade, as Jarrett Allen was traded for cheap. I think he would be nice upgrade over WCJ, because we need defensive stoper, we need someone who can defend,rebound and block in the paint..

Looking at that roster they have 5 centers and 1 small forward. Maybe a direct 1-1 trade of Drummond for Porter is something both teams can discuss. Since both contracts are expiring, both teams can get a look at their respective players with no negative impact to salaries.

I've been wanting us to get an actual center for a long time now, this would be huge for us. The question is, would WCJ then come off the bench? Drummond and Lauri would feast together.
MisterRoy
Veteran

J.Allen & Drummond 

Post#14 » by MisterRoy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:07 pm

mtron32 wrote:
MisterRoy wrote:

I've been wanting us to get an actual center for a long time now, this would be huge for us. The question is, would WCJ then come off the bench? Drummond and Lauri would feast together.

Yes but given that WCJ seems to have fragile confidence we need to be willing to move him if Drummond works out at the center position. This also requires confidence in resigning Drummond.

If it doesn't work out we can always trade Drummond before the deadline and we are no worse off than before.

ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#15 » by ZOMG » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:13 pm

Read my lips:

No more non-shooters.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:16 pm

ZOMG wrote:Read my lips:

No more non-shooters.

WCJ and Gafford cant shoot either.. We are looking for defensive and rebounding upgrade, we have more than enough firepower with guards and forwards.
At the moment we have big problems in the paint, no defense, no boxing out, no blocking, bad rebounding..
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#17 » by ZOMG » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:17 pm

PrimzyBulls81 wrote:

No more non-shooters.

WCJ and Gafford cant shoot either.. We are looking for defensive and rebounding upgrade, we have more than enough firepower with guards and forwards.

Any upgrade must bring improved shooting.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#18 » by TheStig » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:37 pm

Are you going to give a old school C a max or near max deal? There is a reason that these guys are available for cheap. It's because they're not modern NBA centers and will command a giant salary next year. The team that should make a move for these guys has nothing at C and doesn't care about the LT. These guys should be 25mpg players on contending teams.
ArtMorte
Sixth Man
And1: 2,102

Post#19 » by ArtMorte » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:06 pm

Obviously it's a big plus if your center can hit open threes, but you can still be a net-positive center in the NBA without taking them. Adebayo, Gobert, Valanciunas, Nurkic, Ayton... Drummond. If you're very good at other areas, you don't need to be a shooting center to be a key piece in your team. Like, which decent shooting center people think we could even get? I would sign Drummond if that was on the table.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,553

Post#20 » by Ice Man » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:12 pm

No more non-shooters.

Jarett Allen is a positive player for a good team. He doesn't need the ball, he protects the rim, he's mobile, and he rebounds. He's an excellent finishing piece for a team that has found its playmakers and shooters.

Drummond, on the other hand ... I don't know. He's a positive player for a bad team, because he does pound on people inside and rebound so very well. But I think that he requires too much attention and needs the ball too much to be the right fit for a good team. I think he's best at making weaklings more competitive.

The Nets will miss Jarett Allen. Ironically, he's just the type of player that team now needs. It has the old version of DAJ, but he's not really the same thing.

Return to Chicago Bulls