Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

dakim
Sophomore
And1: 14

Re: OT: Investing/Stocks/Bonds/Mutual Funds/Crypto 

Post#21 » by dakim » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:08 pm

M-C-G wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:
M-C-G wrote:Affirm set to go live with IPO tomorrow it looks like. Still haven't figured out if I am in on this or not. Just seems like something that has massive upward potential to me.

https://www.retaildive.com/news/affirm-raises-ipo-target-aiming-to-top-1b/593218/

I came here to say this. I'm in for sure.

Any expectations, or just a roll of the dice for upward potential after a few years? I am guessing this is a minimum of 5 years investment.

Ballsy taking on Credit Card industry, but maybe not as ballsy when you have PayPal Holdings doing it with you. Could be really disruptive.

Check out a company called afterpay (APT) on the ASX, for buy now pay later potential.

Btw, how does one get in on the Affirm IPO?
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,785

Post#22 » by Stannis » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:22 pm

dakim wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:
I came here to say this. I'm in for sure.

Any expectations, or just a roll of the dice for upward potential after a few years? I am guessing this is a minimum of 5 years investment.

Ballsy taking on Credit Card industry, but maybe not as ballsy when you have PayPal Holdings doing it with you. Could be really disruptive.

Check out a company called afterpay (APT) on the ASX, for buy now pay later potential.

I sold this one way back like a moron for around $30.

Ticker is AFTPY. It's an aussie stock and supposedly the most overvalued stock in Australia. Not sure about buying it at this price.

Affirm is backed by PayPal, which is a good sign. But I kind of feel the "Buy Now, Pay Later" sector is going to crowded. Anyone else?
Free Palestine
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#23 » by M-C-G » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:31 pm

Stannis wrote:
dakim wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

I sold this one way back like a moron for around $30.

Ticker is AFTPY. It's an aussie stock and supposedly the most overvalued stock in Australia. Not sure about buying it at this price.

Affirm is backed by PayPal, which is a good sign. But I kind of feel the "Buy Now, Pay Later" sector is going to crowded. Anyone else?

Maybe it is, but then I would say, is the credit card industry too crowded? I can find 20 companies that will give me a credit card or balance transfer, etc.

My question, is do I buy in to this one, most notably because PayPal holdings is attached. It's like if you are going to bet on a dog, you want the one eating filet mignon and caviar or spam and ramen noodles? And yeah, I know it is a false equivalency, but it was a fun one to make.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#24 » by M-C-G » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:34 pm

dakim wrote:

I started digging this on Charles Schwab and honestly gave up. Didn't make the time to figure it out, so instead I'll be watching the stock price the second it is available.

Hedge fund buddy of mine told me that I should look into something called SPACs. Special Acquisition Companies, which I think are almost like a fund that focuses on IPOs but I'll be honest, I kind of half read an article with a baby in my hand, so no idea if I got the gist right.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#25 » by M-C-G » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:54 pm

Whelp, didn't catch that Affirm came on to the open market an hour ago. Up 100% so far, feels like I missed the window, worried with an IPO I'm chasing at this point. Anyone else get in?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,223

Post#26 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:45 pm

It's been holding steady ~$100 the past couple of hours.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#27 » by M-C-G » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:58 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:It's been holding steady ~$100 the past couple of hours.

I haven't tracked many IPOs, but if the momentum didn't last through the day, then I suspect it will be dropping.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#28 » by M-C-G » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:34 pm

M-C-G wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:It's been holding steady ~$100 the past couple of hours.

I haven't tracked many IPOs, but if the momentum didn't last through the day, then I suspect it will be dropping.

Up another 30% as of right now. Shows what I know.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,750

Post#29 » by tydett » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:54 pm

Super neophyte when it comes to investing (I mostly use S&P indexes and mutual funds), but our of curiosity, how does one get in on an IPO? I've read that you need to use broker orgs. that can get you in, but many seem to require more investment/trading than I do?
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#30 » by M-C-G » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:05 pm

tydett wrote:Super neophyte when it comes to investing (I mostly use S&P indexes and mutual funds), but our of curiosity, how does one get in on an IPO? I've read that you need to use broker orgs. that can get you in, but many seem to require more investment/trading than I do?

I went down the Charles Schwab path and basically hit a dead end. I think eventually it took me to a place that said just by it on the secondary market once available, which sucks because AFRM was $49 in the IPO, $90 by the time it got to the secondary market and now $125 or so two days later.

I would guess you need a certain level of investment to get into an IPO but like I said, I never really figured it out.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,957

Post#31 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:50 am

tydett wrote:Super neophyte when it comes to investing (I mostly use S&P indexes and mutual funds), but our of curiosity, how does one get in on an IPO? I've read that you need to use broker orgs. that can get you in, but many seem to require more investment/trading than I do?

Just came into this thread to ask if anyone can recommend books or online classes, paid or otherwise. I don't even know dick about S&P indexes and mutual funds. I invest in what my company tells me to but I'm absolutely clueless. It's embarrassing and I would like resources that treat me like the idiot I am.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,267

Post#32 » by KidA24 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:45 am

ReasonablySober wrote:

Just came into this thread to ask if anyone can recommend books or online classes, paid or otherwise. I don't even know dick about S&P indexes and mutual funds. I invest in what my company tells me to but I'm absolutely clueless. It's embarrassing and I would like resources that treat me like the idiot I am.

For the basics: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/wiki/index is a decent crash course.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,946

Post#33 » by sidney lanier » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:03 pm

Still a few kinks to be worked out, I see, in the idealized cryptocurrency future.

Man makes last-ditch effort to recover $280 million in bitcoin he accidentally threw out

James Howells, a 35-year-old IT engineer from Newport, Wales, said he discarded the device while clearing out his home in 2013. He claims he had two identical laptop hard drives, and that he mistakenly put the one containing the cryptographic “private key” needed to access and spend his bitcoins in the trash.

After all these years, Howells is still confident he’d be able to recover the bitcoin. Though the external part of the hard drive may be damaged and rusted, he believes the glass platter inside may still be intact.

“There is a good chance the platter inside the drive is still intact,” he told CNBC. “Data recovery experts could then rebuild the drive or read the data directly from the platter.”

Howells says he had 7,500 bitcoins which, at today’s prices, would be worth more than $280 million. He says the only way to regain access to it would be through the hard drive he threw in the trash eight years ago.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
Bucknado
Sixth Man
And1: 1,195

Post#34 » by Bucknado » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:04 pm

Looking at buying a property in Austin and Airbnbing it. Anyone have experience as a host?
jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#35 » by jmart762 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:40 pm

Not in here very much, but if you're interested in crypto (we were wild about it in here last cycle) I'm a bigger bull on Ethereum than I am Bitcoin. More uses, usage, and vision. I think that plays out better in the long-term.
GiannisAnte34
Starter
And1: 1,822

Post#36 » by GiannisAnte34 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:09 pm

jmart762 wrote:Not in here very much, but if you're interested in crypto (we were wild about it in here last cycle) I'm a bigger bull on Ethereum than I am Bitcoin. More uses, usage, and vision. I think that plays out better in the long-term.

Ethereum is great what do you think the forecast could be? I'm thinking about ~3,000 per in a 3 year term
thonnisbeastley
Pro Prospect
And1: 673

Post#37 » by thonnisbeastley » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:20 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:
jmart762 wrote:Not in here very much, but if you're interested in crypto (we were wild about it in here last cycle) I'm a bigger bull on Ethereum than I am Bitcoin. More uses, usage, and vision. I think that plays out better in the long-term.

Ethereum is great what do you think the forecast could be? I'm thinking about ~3,000 per in a 3 year term

ChainLink > all
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,972

Post#38 » by drew881 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:47 pm

Bucknado wrote:Looking at buying a property in Austin and Airbnbing it. Anyone have experience as a host?

We rent a detached guesthouse on our property in San Antonio. Make about 10-11k a year, mostly hosting people on weekends. I think Austin might have more restrictions than us and might be harder to make up the mortgage costs. Are you planning on turning over the place yourself or hiring cleaners?

A friend bought an 150k house here in San Antonio (900 mortgage/escrow before utilities). He barely makes his money back each month but is building house equity for free.
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 945

Post#39 » by Lippo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:54 pm

thonnisbeastley wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:

ChainLink > all

This

0.25 to $23 in a year...future is bright...Link Marines Oorah

Sergey and Vitalek > Jobs and Gates
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 945

Post#40 » by Lippo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:59 pm

For you stock guys, got in RIOT and MARA around 10, way to get in Crypto indirectly ....

Return to Milwaukee Bucks