Oladipo to Miami

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Oladipo to Miami 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:53 pm

Houston trades: Victor Oladipo
Miami trades: [filler], KZ Okpala, Kendrick Nunn
Why Houston does it: add some prospects to the team for a player who seems to have a specific place in mind.
Why Miami does it: add a good fit for their program, raise their short-term upside.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,463

Re: Oladipo to Miami 

Post#2 » by youngcrev » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:56 pm

I don't think THOSE prospects get Oladipo. There'd at least have to be some picks in there.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#3 » by daoneandonly » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:58 pm

I think this is at least closer to Oladipo than some of the other ones I;ve seen. The guy is not a max superstar, I mean there's a reason his college hometown team traded him for Levert. he's good, but the injury concern and fact that he's not a max contract guy decreases his value.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,076

Post#4 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:05 pm

If I'm Houston I probably try for something like:

Iggy, Meyers, Precious for Dipo, Tucker
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#5 » by K_chile22 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:08 pm

Add Achiuwa and a second and Tucker
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:17 pm

daoneandonly wrote:I think this is at least closer to Oladipo than some of the other ones I;ve seen. The guy is not a max superstar, I mean there's a reason his college hometown team traded him for Levert. he's good, but the injury concern and fact that he's not a max contract guy decreases his value.

Apparently, reports are we traded him because he didn’t want to be in Indiana past this year. He wants to be in Miami.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Post#7 » by patman66 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:19 pm

They ought to use dipo to dump gordon.

Can't figure out why the did not have the cavs eat Gordon instead of Price. The hell with the bucks 1st. Eat gordon get Allen
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Post#8 » by patman66 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:21 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:I think this is at least closer to Oladipo than some of the other ones I;ve seen. The guy is not a max superstar, I mean there's a reason his college hometown team traded him for Levert. he's good, but the injury concern and fact that he's not a max contract guy decreases his value.

Apparently, reports are we traded him because he didn’t want to be in Indiana past this year. He wants to be in Miami.

no way! those were baseless rumors were started by a boston writer. :D
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,758

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:22 pm

K_chile22 wrote:Add Achiuwa and a second and Tucker

Yeah add Tucker and send Houston some actual value back and it makes a lot more sense.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,571

Post#10 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:23 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

If this is true then no reason for Miami to give anything. Can argue OP is okay just to get him there a season early. But precious would easily be off the table if they can just sign him outright this summer.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,200

Post#11 » by BBallFreak » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:10 pm

Not giving Achiuwa for Dipo.

We already have the space to make a move for Dipo, so I see no reason to throw value that we don't want to give. I would loop in OKC, unprotect that 2023 first, and send them our 2025 first. I would also consider future considerations (ie, we use our first round pick next year, then forward the player on to Houston) but I would not give up Achiuwa.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#12 » by sonictecture » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:22 pm

Why is the value of Oladipo so low in the eyes of Miami fans?

The notion that you can sign him into space seems not only risky, but a waste of this season.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:33 pm

sonictecture wrote:Why is the value of Oladipo so low in the eyes of Miami fans?

The notion that you can sign him into space seems not only risky, but a waste of this season.

Miami projects to max out at $28m in cap space. It’s possible that Oladipo gets quite upset that Miami asks him to take a pay cut and signs elsewhere that he feels he can “maximize his career” in terms of movie producing/acting (he just had his first move released) and singing/dancing such as a New York or LA (somehow).
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by BBallFreak » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:35 pm

sonictecture wrote:Why is the value of Oladipo so low in the eyes of Miami fans?

He has injury concerns and spacing concerns. He and Butler don't make for the best floor spacers. We can survive with one of them, but I question the logic in having two guys whose strength is not shooting on the perimeter in the NBA in 2021.

There are other players, undoubtedly, who will become available. For some of them, I would give up real value. Dipo doesn't move the needle that much for me. When you factor that in, along with the injury concerns, I don't see why we should care about Dipo, specifically...
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#15 » by sonictecture » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:45 pm

BBallFreak wrote:

He has injury concerns and spacing concerns. He and Butler don't make for the best floor spacers. We can survive with one of them, but I question the logic in having two guys whose strength is not shooting on the perimeter in the NBA in 2021.

There are other players, undoubtedly, who will become available. For some of them, I would give up real value. Dipo doesn't move the needle that much for me. When you factor that in, along with the injury concerns, I don't see why we should care about Dipo, specifically...

Look at what teams trading good players are asking for in terms of future pick compensation. Miami can’t compete in the trade market.

Have you noticed that more and more teams are going with 4 guards and a center? Miami has enough shooters to make Oladipo and Butler work, if they’re not trading any of them to get Dipo.

Oladipo is healthy and averaging 20/5/4. It’s going to take more than scraps.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:47 pm

BBallFreak wrote:

Oladipo is realistically a 36% shooter from 3 on huge volume. He’s fine there. He shot poorly when his quad was weak and in the midst of tearing. This year his shot is pretty consistent and reliable.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by BBallFreak » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:50 pm

sonictecture wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:

Look at what teams trading good players are asking for in terms of future pick compensation. Miami can’t compete in the trade market.

Have you noticed that more and more teams are going with 4 guards and a center? Miami has enough shooters to make Oladipo and Butler work, if they’re not trading any of them to get Dipo.

Oladipo is healthy and averaging 20/5/4. It’s going to take more than scraps.

I don't care.

:lol:

Seriously, I don't care!

Trade him to NY for all I care! I don't think he's worth it to Miami. What the hell else do you expect me to say? You can argue until you're blue in the face, but you're arguing with the wrong guy. I don't really want Oladipo in Miami. I told you what I would do. That's all. Outside of that, I don't care. Trade him wherever you want. No skin off my nose. Like I've said, I would give up real value for certain players. He's not one of them...
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by BBallFreak » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:56 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:

Oladipo is realistically a 36% shooter from 3 on huge volume. He’s fine there. He shot poorly when his quad was weak and in the midst of tearing. This year his shot is pretty consistent and reliable.

We don't care about "fine". "Fine" isn't what we do. He's bumping a guy from the starting lineup that happens to be one of the best shooters on the planet.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#19 » by pacers33granger » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:05 pm

I always hate the "we can just sign him for free" angle, but it seems more appropriate here than almost anywhere else. Odds are Vic won't have a ton of suitors in free agency and Miami appears to be at the top of the list in any event. If someone offers him way more money and he signs elsewhere, he probably would have done so if they had traded for him too. And it's not like he'd change their fortunes this year.

No reason for Houston to accept it, but I think the OP's deal is about what Miami would be offering.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#20 » by K_chile22 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:06 pm

pacers33granger wrote:I always hate the "we can just sign him for free" angle, but it seems more appropriate here than almost anywhere else. Odds are Vic won't have a ton of suitors in free agency and Miami appears to be at the top of the list in any event. If someone offers him way more money and he signs elsewhere, he probably would have done so if they had traded for him too. And it's not like he'd change their fortunes this year.

No reason for Houston to accept it, but I think the OP's deal is about what Miami would be offering.

Yeah I think it's more likely he ends up on a desperate team for a playoff run like Denver

Return to Trades and Transactions