ImageImageImage

Pistons vs CoViD-19

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

_Und3r][D4wg_
Pro Prospect
And1: 563

Pistons vs CoViD-19 

Post#1 » by _Und3r][D4wg_ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:21 am

How long can the team stay untouched by CoViD-19?

With over a handful teams' rosters already affected by the virus, including cancelled/postponed games, can the Pistons take advantage of better yet short-handed opponents to win games that we ought to lose?

Can the virus throw a spanner at preseason rankings and result in some surprises for the top 6 seeds? Would you guys be disappointed if we somehow made it to the play-in tournament (yet proceed to 'intentionally' lose all games)?
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Re: Pistons vs CoViD-19 

Post#2 » by The Moose » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:59 am

I couldnt think of a worse possible outcome of a season than winning some games because other teams are playing g league rosters due to covid
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#3 » by 440BB » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:16 am

So far our luck has been the opposite - teams lose players to covid/injury shortly after beating us.

Although it might be of interest to some, I would be disappointed to see us win enough to even come close to the play-in. We are clearly a few players short of being competitive in the post season so it would be a waste of a top draft pick that we need.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#4 » by Manocad » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:18 pm

440BB wrote:So far our luck has been the opposite - teams lose players to covid/injury shortly after beating us.

Although it might be of interest to some, I would be disappointed to see us win enough to even come close to the play-in. We are clearly a few players short of being competitive in the post season so it would be a waste of a top draft pick that we need.

I'll be disappointed if the Pistons aren't picking in the top 3. I don't want to see this team come remotely close to a playoff spot. Given the strength of the 2021 draft the Pistons are better off underachieving.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,103

Post#5 » by NYPiston » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:51 pm

I thought about this too but it looks like the Pistons might just luck out with the Miami two game set with their players possibly returning for those games.

The other side of the coin is that Miami is desperate for wins so even with a ravaged roster, they will be playing with some desperation I'd imagine.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#6 » by Snakebites » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:41 pm

It is strange how unaffected we’ve been by COVID so far.

We haven’t missed players for it nor have we played teams missing guys for it. Doubtful this remains the case. It appears the cases are increasing- predictable since fatigue with the league rules is setting in.

No way of predicting how it could impact the rest of the season though. It would take something really crazy for that to lead to playoff possibilities, though.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#7 » by Sort » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:03 pm

I enjoy those little bits of life where Covid doesn't rearrange existence. At the very least, every Piston game has had all players available for both sides.

I don't think anyone needs to be concerned about Pistons pumping win after win because other teams have been so drained by Covid. Pistons will beat some good teams now and then - those games will be fun - but there's no covering up the mess the roster is for actually winning game.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#8 » by 440BB » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:12 pm

I'm hoping that injuries and Covid lead some contending teams to plunder our veterans before the trade deadline, giving up picks and youngsters in return. Rose and Ellington could look pretty good for a team needing to plug in some scoring.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#9 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:21 pm

Wood was hit bit it, but that's last year's news.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#10 » by dVs33 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:45 pm

440BB wrote:I'm hoping that injuries and Covid lead some contending teams to plunder our veterans before the trade deadline, giving up picks and youngsters in return. Rose and Ellington could look pretty good for a team needing to plug in some scoring.

This is the ideal situation not sneaking into the playoffs. We need a good pick in the draft more than anything else.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,704

Post#11 » by zeebneeb » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:25 pm

I hate this thread. I hate it even more then the thread about Wood, which reminds me everyday our GM made a huge error in letting him go. Now a subject I didn't even think about, that may end up leading to the Pistons getting another 7-11th pick is giving me heartburn.

Thanks for that.

:banghead:
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#12 » by The Moose » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:51 am

Read on Twitter

our first game to be effected by Covid
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#13 » by ducler » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:30 am

The Moose wrote:
Read on Twitter

our first game to be effected by Covid
Super good news for the tank

Sent from my STF-L09 using RealGM mobile app
_Und3r][D4wg_
Pro Prospect
And1: 563

Post#14 » by _Und3r][D4wg_ » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:04 pm

440BB wrote:I'm hoping that injuries and Covid lead some contending teams to plunder our veterans before the trade deadline, giving up picks and youngsters in return. Rose and Ellington could look pretty good for a team needing to plug in some scoring.

Now there's a thought. :eyebrows: :cheesygrin: :thumbsup:

zeebneeb wrote:I hate this thread. I hate it even more then the thread about Wood, which reminds me everyday our GM made a huge error in letting him go. Now a subject I didn't even think about, that may end up leading to the Pistons getting another 7-11th pick is giving me heartburn.

Thanks for that.

:banghead:

Sorry about the acid reflux. :lol: :biggrin:

In my defense, I wasn't advocating or hoping for a back-door entry to the 8th seed... Was merely getting people's thoughts over how this intractable virus might affect the team's fortunes (and the league, at large) moving forward. :peace:
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,377

Post#15 » by Billl » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:57 pm

You have seen us play this season, right? We've got the worst record in the league, and that's before Blake and Rose get shut down.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#16 » by zeebneeb » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:09 pm

Billl wrote:You have seen us play this season, right? We've got the worst record in the league, and that's before Blake and Rose get shut down.
The team has been way, way more competitive then anyone thought they would be, and could easily have 2-3 more wins right now with a more fortuitous bounce..

You add in player injuries, and covid protocols and this team could win just enough games to ensure another brutal draft pick.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,377

Post#17 » by Billl » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:16 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Billl wrote:You have seen us play this season, right? We've got the worst record in the league, and that's before Blake and Rose get shut down.
The team has been way, way more competitive then anyone thought they would be, and could easily have 2-3 more wins right now with a more fortuitous bounce..

You add in player injuries, and covid protocols and this team could win just enough games to ensure another brutal draft pick.

The team has been more competitive - eg fall down 20 and then battle back for a much closer loss vs just giving up.

It's not like we've been up a lot and then just failed to close. We've been on the verge of getting blow out almost every night and then kept playing while the other team let up. That's not a recipe for winning many games.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#18 » by zeebneeb » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:18 pm

Billl wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:

The team has been more competitive - eg fall down 20 and then battle back for a much closer loss vs just giving up.

It's not like we've been up a lot and then just failed to close. We've been on the verge of getting blow out almost every night and then kept playing while the other team let up. That's not a recipe for winning many games.
Hey, I hope your right. Worst record in the league means lowest selection is 5.

I can live with that.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#19 » by Snakebites » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:27 pm

It's just like the Pistons to really start being one of the worst teams in the league once the best you can do is have a 52% chance at a top 4 pick...

We were towards the bottom of the lottery when that was a miserable death sentence. Now we're among the league's worst when that doesn't matter as much.

Because of course we are.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#20 » by Invictus88 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:11 pm

zeebneeb wrote:

Blake being shut down would actually have a positive effect w/regards to quality of play. His body has just let him down that much this season.

I think Rose is losing us games as much as winning games at this point. He'll have a few games where his hero ball will be a net positive but just as many where it results in turnovers at key moments down the stretch. Opposing teams know exactly where the ball is going once he gets his hands on it.

As far as being competitive we've gotten way behind in almost every game as of late. This trend is a big red flag going forward if you want W's. It's still early but the extra energy to climb back game after game is going to take a toll; as is mentally watching the losses pile up.

Don't get me wrong. Aspects of the team are still fun to watch. The rookies are making lots of mistakes but playing hard.

But we are a league-worst 2-9 with the third worst point differential (-6.8) in the league; ahead of just Sacramento and the Timberwolves. We are exactly as competitive as people thought we would be.

Return to Detroit Pistons