ImageImageImageImage

What did we learn from 11 games ?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 583

Re: What did we learn from 11 games ? 

Post#21 » by MasterGMer » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:08 am

I am so impressed of AG. Dude locked down Doncic and came back did a great job on Giannis plus handling the Point.

And what's more? His 3 point shooting in the last couple games

Dude is showing his value.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,372

Post#22 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:31 am

That even though it took us 8 games to get there:
Spoiler:
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,272

Post#23 » by pepe1991 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:09 am

MagicHolland wrote:For starters, as long as we don’t have that one superstar to build around, we’ll never be in contention. Do I think we possibly have one on this roster? No I don’t.

I do like Fultz and JI, they should be building blocks going forward. Which is pretty sad with their injury history. But again, I like them.

We need to put ourselves in a position to give us the best shot at an elite talent. To me, that should either be through the draft or by trade for young (diamond in the rough) talent.

For example I’d really look into opportunities like trading with GS. I’d take on Wiggins for Wiseman and or the wolves pick. GS could use Fournier, Ross and Vuc. Maybe even Gordon.

I’m a fan of Vuc but I think we should really consider selling high now because he’ll be 34-35 before we can have this thing rolling.

I believe there’s options and we need a shake up. We’re going nowhere.

Those trades are not in stores for Magic. They are unrealistic.
Gordon, Vuc will might get you 12-18 first round pick. Maybe.
Evan is exp contract and there is no reason for anybody to overpay for him, as they can have him next year as free agent.

Gordon's only offer was one that was used later to get Covington. Basically 2020, 16# pick and lottery protected pick next year. So two non lottery picks.
Year prior he was offered in trade for Kelly Oubre straight up.
That's his value. Average role player or non lottery pick.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#24 » by Skin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:24 am

PrimeThyme wrote:That even though it took us 8 games to get there:
Spoiler:

8 games was definitely the over.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 301

Post#25 » by MagicHolland » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:38 am

pepe1991 wrote:
MagicHolland wrote:For starters, as long as we don’t have that one superstar to build around, we’ll never be in contention. Do I think we possibly have one on this roster? No I don’t.

I do like Fultz and JI, they should be building blocks going forward. Which is pretty sad with their injury history. But again, I like them.

We need to put ourselves in a position to give us the best shot at an elite talent. To me, that should either be through the draft or by trade for young (diamond in the rough) talent.

For example I’d really look into opportunities like trading with GS. I’d take on Wiggins for Wiseman and or the wolves pick. GS could use Fournier, Ross and Vuc. Maybe even Gordon.

I’m a fan of Vuc but I think we should really consider selling high now because he’ll be 34-35 before we can have this thing rolling.

Evan is exp contract and there is no reason for anybody to overpay for him, as they can have him next year as free agent.

Gordon's only offer was one that was used later to get Covington. Basically 2020, 16# pick and lottery protected pick next year. So two non lottery picks.

Which is why I included taking on Wiggins massive contract and giving them a 40% 3pt shooter to fill the void left by the injury to Thompson.

Look I know how badly you value our players but I believe there’s more to it than straight up looking at a players skill. Fit and contract will account for value too. Looking at the circumstances for both teams I think they should at least be talking.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#26 » by pepe1991 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:53 am

MagicHolland wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Which is why I included taking on Wiggins massive contract and giving them a 40% 3pt shooter to fill the void left by the injury to Thompson.

Look I know how badly you value our players but I believe there’s more to it than straight up looking at a players skill. Fit and contract will account for value too. Looking at the circumstances for both teams I think they should at least be talking.

Warriors flat out WON'T give you anything. They won't move Wiseman and Wolves pick is in play for Sluggs and Cade Cunningham.
Forget about it. If they do that trade, they will get Giannis, Towns or some other megastar.

And no, Wiggins for Evan and Gordon / Vuc ( combination ) is not good trade. Especially because they won't involve their picks.
MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 301

Post#27 » by MagicHolland » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:55 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
MagicHolland wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Warriors flat out WON'T give you anything. They won't move Wiseman and Wolves pick is in play for Sluggs and Cade Cunningham.
Forget about it. If they do that trade, they will get Giannis, Towns or some other megastar.

And no, Wiggins for Evan and Gordon / Vuc ( combination ) is not good trade. Especially because they won't involve their picks.

Yeah because the Warriors acquired that pick for a superstar..? Wiggins, 1st round pick and a second round pick for Russell. Besides that there’s a top 3 protection (I believe) on the Minny pick.

Ill just leave it at this because I know you’re not really open minded for other opinions. Even though you’re way too negative (on our team) for my liking, I respect the time and effort you put into your posts.

Thinking about it.. I’d actually really enjoy it if you could post a trade or multiple trades that you think are possible or put us in a better position than we are now.

Go magic!
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#28 » by paperboymafia » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:17 pm

Not gonna add to whats alrady been said for the Magic. Several things I agree with above. +1 to those.

but to me, one thing is becoming a clear possibility on an NBA-wide level - there's a good chance it's going to all implode soon.
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#29 » by Gomagic44 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:58 pm

Can you elaborate on that please? Implode how?

Sent from my HD1900 using RealGM mobile app
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#30 » by Def Swami » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:18 pm

Everything is the same. And now half the team is injured and the season is over.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,416

Post#31 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:35 pm

When we're healthy and a few players are playing well, we're tough to beat and a good team. Injuries to key players makes it hard to gauge just how good we could be if we were at 100%. It'd be really interesting to see this team at full strength, meaning Fultz, Isaac, Bamba in shape (what's his deal? Is he still struggling after his covid case?), Okeke, Aminu, even Fournier and Gordon are in and out of the rotation because of injuries and flare ups.

But even at full strength are weakness would be shooting inconsistencies. When Evan and Ross are on it makes us tough to beat, but when they're average or sub par, Gordon isn't a strong enough shooter to compensate most nights, neither is Fultz.

Vuc has been a stud this season after a poor showing last year.

I'd like to see us do a soft tank, ship out some of the vets (specifically Fournier and Aminu), bring in some other pieces, target shooters, and pray we get healthy with our young players. Seriously, the fact that so many of our future core players (Fultz, Isaac, Okeke, and Bamba) can't stay on the floor very long is very concerning. I can't see giving up on them just yet, especially after we just extended Fultz and Isaac, but it's definitely concerning that so much of our core is hurt all the time.
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#32 » by jonbob17 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:58 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Well, 11 games passed by, and results are all over the board. Hot start against mostly terrible teams, injuries, and rude awakening of mediocrity.

Looking some numbers, with finally some measurable data to look at, things are flat out bad for "young guns" preachers, ones who just want to hand team to young playres and watch them turn into new Harden, Durant, Lebron.

Image shows how poorly each and every single young player is actually doing.
Vuc is basically doing his best Jokić- MVP performance, but nobody can save this team from missing playoffs. Well... Maybe they actually can make playoffs if you look who else is fighting to miss it. Most teams on East are flat out terrible to medicore. I won't be suprised if only 5 to 6 Eastern conference teams even ends up with positive record.

What are your guys thoughts ?

What would you like to do next? Tank, soft tank? Full tank? Rebuild? Or just patch things up with veteran PG and keep grinding?

I'm leaning toward hard rebulid as i'm losing any hope there is any path toward being even watchable until 2022/2023.
I just don't see any player to build future around, and tanking sounds like only logical direction.

Here are the early season RAPTOR results. They seem to be skewed by some of the blowouts.

Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#33 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:10 pm

Trade for Harden. He’s a diva but beggars can’t be choosers
penny_nz
Analyst
And1: 1,546

Post#34 » by penny_nz » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:50 pm

Good thread (as I've been stewing on this in what has been a WILDLY up and down start to the season)

Vuc has flaws, especially on D, but is a REALLY good C in the NBA, and his 3pt shot looks as good as its ever looked. He's adapted very well to the modern game.

This team does not have enough shooting talent, top to bottom. As such, we will always be streaky and we will live and die by the human torches performance. I'm sick of watching great passes to wide open people on the perimeter and see people need to drive into the crowded paint to get a shot.

I feel more down on this team than I have in recent years. Our young core is out with serious injuries, and serious doubts in their offensive capability (I still believe in Fultz, and I still believe Isaac has shown enough to grow there, they just have to both stay on the court to develop). Anthony is going to get serious burn this year, but needs alot of work, his shot seems pretty clean but he's hesitant to shoot, his %s are awful and his drives always feel like a miracle if they go in. We need to let him learn though.

In short, I believe hard rebuild, I feel we have one of the lowest ceilings of teams in the East. One borderline star in Vuc, 2 young potential stars with big question marks (and blown out knees) and then a collection of players who vary from good to solid rotation players to scrubs (weighted more towards scrubs / end of bench players).
I still believe in Magic! Welcome to the Franz & Paolo era
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#35 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:41 pm

What did we learn? Don't get injured. Duh!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
StanMagic
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#36 » by StanMagic » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:14 am

AG still being inconsistent and low basketball IQ. Hopes of him being improved can now be dashes.
Isaac is forever injured, even when he comes back I doubt he can stay healthy.
Fultz is slowly developing but I wouldn't hold my breath for him being our franchise player
Bamba's problem is more mental to me than physical. If he can be aggressive and don't just settle for 3 pointers he can be valuable
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,904

Post#37 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:53 am

What did we learn after 11 games?

The Magic still suck.
Orlando Magic are BACK!!!
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#38 » by Furinkazan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:03 pm

Btw Lmao on 11 game sample...We have seen same product past few years and some people say we are overreacting about 11 game sample...it’s at least 400 plus game sample atm...what more do you need to make your judgment ? Another 400?
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#39 » by pepe1991 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:04 pm

Furinkazan wrote:Btw Lmao on 11 game sample...We have seen same product past few years and some people say we are overreacting about 11 game sample...it’s at least 400 plus game sample atm...what more do you need to make your judgment ? Another 400?

Sorry mate i made a thread being bored as hell, doing covid isolation :D
And i figured we will be sitting at 11 games whole week due Celtics lockdown
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,918

Post#40 » by MagicMatic » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:43 pm

This team has the same core.

Talent already prevented Orlando from being anything more than a first round exit.

Injuries make Orlando a lottery team, probably where they should have been aiming in the first place. Sad but true.

Return to Orlando Magic