Fake Trade Thread #3

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,651

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#741 » by yosemiteben » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:57 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:I can't believe some of you want Drummond after that Dwight season. They are two peas in a pod

I'll be honest, I don't think we're making the playoffs this season so the main reason I want him is for the LaMelo lob potential.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#742 » by DY_nasty » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:24 am

drummond might be the worst player to easily find himself high up on an all-time stats list ever

he's pretty much guaranteed to be one of the best rebounders in history if he stays reasonably healthy. he's also cartoon character stupid on the court. sensational really
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#743 » by Diop » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:26 am

Cleveland aren't giving up Nance, he's been a fantastic glue man for them being able to defend wings and bigs. Averaging 2.4 steals a game and shooting over 40% of threes.

Allen and Nance are going to be tough defensively. Cleveland just have to get rid of their expensive assets now.

That "we're building around Drummond" didnt last long
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#744 » by BigSlam » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:00 am

MPM wrote:...

Hey MPM: Now Jordan is the only 5 in Jersey, I wonder if Claxton will start to get some playing time?

I hope so - like you, I think he has some real potential.
B B M F 'ers
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#745 » by Braggins » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:28 am

Diop wrote:Cleveland aren't giving up Nance, he's been a fantastic glue man for them being able to defend wings and bigs. Averaging 2.4 steals a game and shooting over 40% of threes.

Allen and Nance are going to be tough defensively. Cleveland just have to get rid of their expensive assets now.

That "we're building around Drummond" didnt last long

Ya, but if it somehow happened we could name his thread "Nance in the pants"
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#746 » by MPM » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:29 am

BigSlam wrote:
MPM wrote:...

Hey MPM: Now Jordan is the only 5 in Jersey, I wonder if Claxton will start to get some playing time?

I hope so - like you, I think he has some real potential.

My gut is that he'll see significant burn when he gets back from injury. Gives them a mobile big on rookie scale for another year to provide defensive cover and live off the scraps of the Nets' three uhm-egos. His presence likely made parting with Allen less painful - everyone in the org seems to be pretty high on him. Prior to the Allen trade, read Nets posters daydreaming about DJ being relegated to 3rd string to give Claxton the backup role.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,162

Post#747 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:15 pm

Just finished up reading through a trade thread and Bagley thread on Kings board and they are so low on him. Seems like they are willing to take almost any half way reasonable deal for him.

On the other hand, they have clips of teams just abusing him on defense, hunting him in switches and pick and roll because he is such a bad defender. Guards blow by him on the perimeter like he is Boban. Not sure he can play center if he is this poor on defense.

I like his offensive fit with LaMelo, but he could be the next Jahlil. Just so bad on defense it doesn't matter what he can do on offense. They have completely removed Bagley from playing crunch time minutes and his minutes are in the 20-25 range right now because he is just that bad.

I think I would still offer Monk + Pick Swap rights this year and if swap rights aren't utilized it becomes a second rounder.

Edit: Pick Swap rights are top 4 protected.

For Kings maybe they get to move up from 10th pick to 8th pick plus get Monk. That value seems about right for Bagley right now.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#748 » by Chapelchilla » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:19 pm

I do not really want Drummond as a Hornet either. Hopefully it doesn't happen this off season. I do not think we need to make a huge investment in center we just need a defensive force with decent hands. Jarret would have been great. I would rather go with a guy like Zach Collins in a combo with Carey and whomever we draft and Biz as the 3rd or 4th guy.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#749 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:06 pm

Cavs are probably going to deal one of those guys. My guess is they prefer it to be Love or Drummond, but doubt any team has the salary to match it or want to give up the assets to acquire them.

Wizards, Nets, Hornets and Suns are all teams I could see being in the trade market for a Center. Not saying we need to make a move today, but I wouldn't wait too long.
Big Board
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#750 » by CuseMayne » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:17 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Cavs are probably going to deal one of those guys. My guess is they prefer it to be Love or Drummond, but doubt any team has the salary to match it or want to give up the assets to acquire them.

Wizards, Nets, Hornets and Suns are all teams I could see being in the trade market for a Center. Not saying we need to make a move today, but I wouldn't wait too long.

IMO, I'm also not saying we need to make a move today...we needed to make a move yesterday.

It's really sad when you realize how massive of an upgrade JaVale McGee would be for us right now.

Seeing Jarrett Allen acquired like that (yes I know they had to absorb Prince too) was disappointing. He would've been absolutely perfect for us.

Someone in the forum earlier mentioned that Richards should be getting a bit of burn besides PJ here and there, and I 100% agree, especially while Zeller is still out. Richards is a big body and long. We need to see if he can be serviceable...I mean our plan right now is having 6'8 Biz and 6'7 PJ play all 48 of our Center minutes. That's a joke. The Dallas game was excruciating to watch last night because even if their shots weren't falling, it was beyond a struggle to try and secure a rebound. To start the 2nd quarter we had Gordon at the 4 and Miles at the 5 to counter two 7 footers. Excuse me??

I'll end the mini rant with...can you imagine if one of Biz or PJ got hurt and had to miss a few games? What would JB do then? It'd have to be that extreme to force his hand and give Richards and/or Vern a handful of minutes? Jeez.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#751 » by LofJ » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:50 pm

I hope Borrego's reluctance to play Richards or Carey is just a result of the lack of a training camp and summer league. He doesn't have confidence in them because he hasn't seen them play enough.

However, at some point during the season that will no longer be the case. I don't think Zeller or Biyombo will be on the team next season. We need to play them to see what we have. Who knows maybe Richards is ready and will surprise us. Why spend big money on a big when we may have the answer for cheap already on the roster.

None of that will matter if Borrego continues to insist on playing small. If that remains the case I don't even know why we drafted Richards and Carey. Kupchak and Borrego not being on the same page to that degree would be a red alert for sure.
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#752 » by MPM » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:59 pm

LofJ wrote:None of that will matter if Borrego continues to insist on playing small. If that remains the case I don't even know why we drafted Richards and Carey.

Good point. If we were committed to small ball, someone like Tillman made perfect sense. On the other hand, I completely get that these guys are second rounders and second rounders that see significant court time are few and far between. On the other other hand, the game schedule is so condensed and there is so much visible fatigue (and injuries) that not playing projects the last 5 minutes or so of lost causes seems a bit like coaching malpractice. On the other other other hand.... :D

EDIT - to keep this on-thread; I like Nance and Allen, but have little interest in Drummond.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#753 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:23 pm

LofJ wrote:I hope Borrego's reluctance to play Richards or Carey is just a result of the lack of a training camp and summer league. He doesn't have confidence in them because he hasn't seen them play enough.

However, at some point during the season that will no longer be the case. I don't think Zeller or Biyombo will be on the team next season. We need to play them to see what we have. Who knows maybe Richards is ready and will surprise us. Why spend big money on a big when we may have the answer for cheap already on the roster.

None of that will matter if Borrego continues to insist on playing small. If that remains the case I don't even know why we drafted Richards and Carey. Kupchak and Borrego not being on the same page to that degree would be a red alert for sure.

Have you been watching the games or preseason?

In limited minutes we saw out of Richards he looked really bad and same with Carey.

There is a huge disconnect on this board sometimes when it comes to expectations of players and where they have been selected.

Carey as a 19 year old second round pick.. he should not be counted on to play a minute this season, it should not matter whether we have good Centers or not. Nobody comes in as a 19 year old second rounder and sees success. It might be a year or 2 before he is a rotation player, but it was the gamble the front office took when selecting him, his upside is greater than those taken around him.

Nick Richards is a guy I thought would be more ready to play as a 23 year old, but he is still a middle of the second round prospect. Just crazy how it seems like they want all these guys to be ready to contribute day 1 as if they were picked 18th. That is a massive massive difference.

Xavier Tillman is playing some minutes for Memphis, but it is more out of desperation as JJJ has been out all year. I do not think when they selected him, they had any intention on him seeing the floor for the first half of the year. He did play 3 years at Michigan State so he is better equipped to play day one then Carey.

Hell just go look at last years draft and Cody Martin has been one of the highest impact guys taken in the entire second round, but he did it as a guy who came into the league age 24. Other guys doing well are Paschall (came in at 23) and Talen Horton Tucker who surprisingly was just 19.

Look back to 2018 draft and you will Gary Trent who came in after one year of college and was a complete nonfactor his first year... a year and half in he started being a rotation guy for Blazers. They were patient and its paying off. The other guys who are seeing success are Graham (4 year) Brunson (3 year) Carter (4 year) were all older guys. Mitchell Robinson should of went in the first after being good enough to skip college, but yolo. DeAnthony Melton has been solid as just a 2 year college guy.

Hell even if you go back to 2017 draft, Dwayne Bacon is probably one of most successful guys taken in the second round and this board would talk about him as if he was one of the worst picks we ever made. It is basically Monte Morris, Semi, Bacon, Thomas Bryant, Dillon Brooks and not a whole lot after that. He was one of the 5-6 best players drafted out of 30 in the second, let that sink in.

Every year at least 20 second rounders are taken, never really see any significant minutes in the NBA and are forgotten about. Overall our front office has done extremely well drafting in the second round, yet as soon as we draft a couple guys who aren't ready day 1 everyone freaks out. The numbers are against us, we are beating the numbers right now. I have faith at least one of Carey or Richards can pan out, but it might take a year or 2 and as a second rounder you have to be okay with that.
Big Board
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#754 » by DY_nasty » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:23 pm

drinking now to prepare myself for drummond or kevin love
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#755 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:18 pm

We're not quite a year removed from Drummond being traded for John Henson, Brandon Knight, and a 2nd.

I'm far from his biggest fan, but as an expiring I wouldn't hate it. And I doubt he's done anything to raise his price.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
Braggins
RealGM

Post#756 » by Braggins » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:21 pm

BlackOutBuzz wrote:We're not quite a year removed from Drummond being traded for John Henson, Brandon Knight, and a 2nd.

I'm far from his biggest fan, but as an expiring I wouldn't hate it. And I doubt he's done anything to raise his price.

Ive never been a Drummond fan, but when you put it this way, salary filler and a 2nd round or two for him on his last year seems like a totally reasonable risk. I'd still be worried because I really would not want him to sign him to a big long term contract.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#757 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:30 pm

Braggins wrote:
BlackOutBuzz wrote:We're not quite a year removed from Drummond being traded for John Henson, Brandon Knight, and a 2nd.

Ive never been a Drummond fan, but when you put it this way, salary filler and a 2nd round or two for him on his last year seems like a totally reasonable risk. I'd still be worried because I really would not want him to sign him to a big long term contract.

Problem is we have no salary filler and when they got him for that, everyone knew he was opting in to PO. Now he is a true expiring, so Cleveland will probably want expirings back and a kicker or a really good asset if they have to take on longer term money.
Big Board
Braggins
RealGM

Post#758 » by Braggins » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:30 pm

Read on Twitter
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#759 » by BigSlam » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:06 pm

DY_nasty wrote:drinking now to prepare myself for drummond or kevin love

Make them doubles because you just know it wont be either of those two and will instead be someone like Mason Plumlee who gets $10mil a year for the next three years.
B B M F 'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#760 » by DY_nasty » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:08 am

BigSlam wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:drinking now to prepare myself for drummond or kevin love

Make them doubles because you just know it wont be either of those two and will instead be someone like Mason Plumlee who gets $10mil a year for the next three years.

meyers leonard breakout season incoming :cry:

Return to Charlotte Hornets