Shams: Oladipo to Houston for Levert in Harden trade (Deal Complete)

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Re: Shams: Oladipo to Houston for Levert in Harden trade 

Post#81 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:43 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Another thing to consider is Oladipo is trade eligible again on March 4th, a few weeks before the trade deadline. My guess is he gets dealt again and that will really give you an idea of just how well you made out in this deal.

Levert and Brogdon together are a really nice pair moving forward. Neither is a true Point Guard, but both are plus facilitators and both have really good size. You have a lot of good players on good contracts and at this point I view you as a better version of the Jazz.

I agree that Victor might be moving on from Houston. I think he has delusions of becoming some kind of Pop Star singer. I can't see either LA team being able to get him maybe the Clippers but they are in the tax so I'm not sure how they can get him. He's been rumored to want to go to Miami but I'm again not sure what they can send Houston that would interest them. I'd guess the Knicks might be a destination for him but again what have they got that the Rockets would want?

Miami has tons of salaries they can use to match.

Dragic 18 mil
Iggy 15 mil
Olynck 12 mil
Leonard 9 Mil

Then they have younger guys a rebuilding team should want
Herro- not giving him up for Dipo
Robinson- maybe they would
Achiuwa- Young valuable big
Nunn- could be interesting

Wouldn't be that hard to piece together two of these guys for Victor and then basically have him in house and easy to resign this summer.

It’s likely Nunn and filler as their offer. Otherwise, they can wait and if he’ll take a little less than max to be in Miami, he can take it. They shouldn’t be dealing Precious, and they definitely won’t deal Robinson or Herro. If they were, I would imagine that Pritchard would’ve done that instead.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#82 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:47 pm

My gut is this also means we’re likely to look to deal Warren this offseason or during next season, rather than see him hitting unrestricted free agency. He’s in the same territory of not being able to really sign an extension due to his low current salary.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#83 » by Topofthekey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:06 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:My gut is this also means we’re likely to look to deal Warren this offseason or during next season, rather than see him hitting unrestricted free agency. He’s in the same territory of not being able to really sign an extension due to his low current salary.

Yes, that feels like the most likely path to be taken with Warren as well

His injury came at a most inconvenient time. One of the most alluring thing about Warren is his value contract. Shaving one whole season off that basically takes that away

If he comes back for the playoffs, he may rehabilitate his trade value enough that the team may be able to find a good trade for him in the off-season. Nothing to do now except be patient
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#84 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:12 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Post#85 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:13 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

I agree that Victor might be moving on from Houston. I think he has delusions of becoming some kind of Pop Star singer. I can't see either LA team being able to get him maybe the Clippers but they are in the tax so I'm not sure how they can get him. He's been rumored to want to go to Miami but I'm again not sure what they can send Houston that would interest them. I'd guess the Knicks might be a destination for him but again what have they got that the Rockets would want?

Dragic 18 mil
Iggy 15 mil
Olynck 12 mil
Leonard 9 Mil

Wouldn't be that hard to piece together two of these guys for Victor and then basically have him in house and easy to resign this summer.

It’s likely Nunn and filler as their offer. Otherwise, they can wait and if he’ll take a little less than max to be in Miami, he can take it. They shouldn’t be dealing Precious, and they definitely won’t deal Robinson or Herro. If they were, I would imagine that Pritchard would’ve done that instead.

My biggest worry with Duncan Robinson is what kind of offer will he get? We just saw Davis Bertans get a 5/80 and he is older and less versatile then Duncan. Miami already has Herro who does a lot of what Robinson can do and long-term they may not be the best pairing to win the title. If they get news that Duncan is going to get Max Offers. We are talking about 100+ million for a guy who is mainly just a on the move shooter.

Could see Miami cashing out on Robinson while his trade value is at its peak, because once he gets this huge contract, he will be much much tougher to trade.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:26 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Dragic 18 mil
Iggy 15 mil
Olynck 12 mil
Leonard 9 Mil

My biggest worry with Duncan Robinson is what kind of offer will he get? We just saw Davis Bertans get a 5/80 and he is older and less versatile then Duncan. Miami already has Herro who does a lot of what Robinson can do and long-term they may not be the best pairing to win the title. If they get news that Duncan is going to get Max Offers. We are talking about 100+ million for a guy who is mainly just a on the move shooter.

Could see Miami cashing out on Robinson while his trade value is at its peak, because once he gets this huge contract, he will be much much tougher to trade.

Robinson is worth a ton of money. He’s a dangerous weapon all over and him being “just a on the move shooter” creates so much for everyone else. With Bam/Butler in the lineup, they absolutely need 2-3 HUGE long range shooters, so there’s a need for both Herro and Robinson. Adding an Oladipo would be nice, but I don’t think it makes as much sense if it costs you Robinson.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#87 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:39 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Robinson is worth a ton of money. He’s a dangerous weapon all over and him being “just a on the move shooter” creates so much for everyone else. With Bam/Butler in the lineup, they absolutely need 2-3 HUGE long range shooters, so there’s a need for both Herro and Robinson. Adding an Oladipo would be nice, but I don’t think it makes as much sense if it costs you Robinson.

It is unlikely they can get Oladipo and keep Robinson. I really like Robinson, but Oladipo is just a better player. Robinson definitely helps your offense and he can have huge games shooting the ball, but he also can be cold and score single digits (Already happened in 5 games this year and that is with them missing a lot of key guys). Oladipo is much more consistent and 4x the defender, so yeah I could see them opting to sign him instead of giving a huge contract to Robinson that could end up being a massive overpay.

Especially if you are competing with Nets. You are going to matchup Robinson and Herro on defense with Kyrie, Harden and KD? They are going to get cooked. Jimmy can only guard one guy at a time.
Big Board
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:13 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

It is unlikely they can get Oladipo and keep Robinson. I really like Robinson, but Oladipo is just a better player. Robinson definitely helps your offense and he can have huge games shooting the ball, but he also can be cold and score single digits (Already happened in 5 games this year and that is with them missing a lot of key guys). Oladipo is much more consistent and 4x the defender, so yeah I could see them opting to sign him instead of giving a huge contract to Robinson that could end up being a massive overpay.

Especially if you are competing with Nets. You are going to matchup Robinson and Herro on defense with Kyrie, Harden and KD? They are going to get cooked. Jimmy can only guard one guy at a time.

No. You’re going to match up Bam, Butler, and Herro or others on them. There’s room for both Tobinson and Oladipo. It only requires Oladipo to sign for something like $28-30m in year one as opposed to $32m. Then they can exceed the cap to keep Robinson above his cap hold.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#89 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:31 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Another thing to consider is Oladipo is trade eligible again on March 4th, a few weeks before the trade deadline. My guess is he gets dealt again and that will really give you an idea of just how well you made out in this deal.

Levert and Brogdon together are a really nice pair moving forward. Neither is a true Point Guard, but both are plus facilitators and both have really good size. You have a lot of good players on good contracts and at this point I view you as a better version of the Jazz.

Dragic 18 mil
Iggy 15 mil
Olynck 12 mil
Leonard 9 Mil

I know they have some pieces but Houston has Wall at PG so Dragic doesn't make a lot of sense, Iggy is old, Olynyk is well Olynyk. Like you said they are not trading Herro so it comes down to Robinson, Achiuwa and Nunn who I see as a minor part. I think its hard for Miami to trade draft picks because they have a couple owed.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#90 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:41 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I never saw it reported as a swap. Every report is that Indy just got Houston’s 2023 2nd. Where’d you see it as a swap?

lots of reports of a straight pick. I can't remember if I saw it in a tweet or on theAthletic. here's the only relevant tweet I found in a quick look. I don't think there's been an official trade call to the league office yet so to some extent we're dealing with rumors.

Read on Twitter
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#91 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:53 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:I know they have some pieces but Houston has Wall at PG so Dragic doesn't make a lot of sense, Iggy is old, Olynyk is well Olynyk. Like you said they are not trading Herro so it comes down to Robinson, Achiuwa and Nunn who I see as a minor part. I think its hard for Miami to trade draft picks because they have a couple owed.

Dragic, Iggy, Olynck are just salary matching purposes. Houston is going to suck so they really shouldn't care about the money. The goal is to just get the young player in Robinson or Achiuwa.
Big Board
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,293

Post#92 » by boomershadow » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:12 pm

This does shore up the small forward position which was looking real thin after missing out on Hayward and then Warren's injury.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#93 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:27 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:I know they have some pieces but Houston has Wall at PG so Dragic doesn't make a lot of sense, Iggy is old, Olynyk is well Olynyk. Like you said they are not trading Herro so it comes down to Robinson, Achiuwa and Nunn who I see as a minor part. I think its hard for Miami to trade draft picks because they have a couple owed.

Dragic, Iggy, Olynck are just salary matching purposes. Houston is going to suck so they really shouldn't care about the money. The goal is to just get the young player in Robinson or Achiuwa.

Yeah something like Iggy and either Robinson or Achiuwa for Oladipo would make sense but I don't see any draft picks in it because they Heat owe picks to other teams and don't have any 2nds. The Heat might just think they can wait it out and sign Victor in the summer. With Dragic, Leonard, Iggy, Bradley and Silva all having team options the Heat could have about $40 million in cap space next summer.

Wiretap has a story about Victor preferring the Heat as his end destination.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#94 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:29 pm

boomershadow wrote:This does shore up the small forward position which was looking real thin after missing out on Hayward and then Warren's injury.

I believe that we are much better off to have "Missed out on Hayward" and his $28 million salary. I like GH at $18 million or so but high 20's is crazy. I think the Pacers are gonna be interesting with LeVert as long as he can stay healthy.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#95 » by Wizop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:23 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#96 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:53 am

Levert has had a series of injuries throughout his career

Pacers as a squad has had constant rotten luck with injuries

Does not exactly sound like a match made in heaven
Wizop
RealGM

Post#97 » by Wizop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:14 pm

trade isn't official yet and WireTap has Vic talking Miami. hope he doesn't screw this trade up.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:26 pm

Wizop wrote:trade isn't official yet and WireTap has Vic talking Miami. hope he doesn't screw this trade up.

Have to assume both teams will want deep physicals on the guys before it’s approved. They have 48 hours to do so. But I think Dipo would be cool with the rest of the year in Houston with his fellow DMV guy John Wall before hitting free agency.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:21 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizop
RealGM

Post#100 » by Wizop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:42 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:trade isn't official yet and WireTap has Vic talking Miami. hope he doesn't screw this trade up.

Have to assume both teams will want deep physicals on the guys before it’s approved. They have 48 hours to do so. But I think Dipo would be cool with the rest of the year in Houston with his fellow DMV guy John Wall before hitting free agency.

physicals are part of the process, but I' read that there hadn't been an official call to the league and I think that comes before physicals.

Vic may be okay with a year in Houston, but will Houston be okay with him not wanting to resign there? besides, I'll bet someone called Miami to see if they wanted to get into the deal and they declined or offered too little.

Return to Indiana Pacers