Luka Doncic has officially entered the MVP race

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Re: Luka Doncic has officially entered the MVP race 

Post#81 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:43 am

picc wrote:How long until Cuban gets him the second/third star he needs? Cause I dont wanna watch his peak years wasted on first round teams.

Hopefully really soon. :D

But considering he's still 5 years or more from his peak there is still time. He is only 21 years old still. We can't lose sight of that. Most stars don't start winning titles until their late 20's.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
gottamakeit
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,318

Post#82 » by gottamakeit » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:54 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
picc wrote:How long until Cuban gets him the second/third star he needs? Cause I dont wanna watch his peak years wasted on first round teams.

But considering he's still 5 years or more from his peak there is still time. He is only 21 years old still. We can't lose sight of that. Most stars don't start winning titles until their late 20's.

The Mavs need another solid rotational player - doesn't have to be a star.

I think Jrue Holiday could've looked great next to Luka. Are there any other players that play like Jrue?
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,796

Post#83 » by dirkforpres » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:09 am

I’m expecting Dallas to make a move at the deadline with one of the selling teams since the 2021 free agency plan is pretty pointless now
FIRE JASON KIDD
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#84 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:02 am

gottamakeit wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

I think Jrue Holiday could've looked great next to Luka. Are there any other players that play like Jrue?

In the off season I’d like to see them target Kyle Lowrey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#85 » by Bob8 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:45 am

[streamable][/streamable]
gottamakeit wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

It really isn't that difficult to find players around Luka. You have too shoot and defend, play making is not that important. Someone like Mikal Bridges would be perfect. Maybe more problematic will be find a player, who will run second unit. Someone good, but being ok not starting. Maybe Ricky Rubio will be prepared to take this role.
Muha_i_samolet
Senior
And1: 591

Post#86 » by Muha_i_samolet » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:56 am

The-Power wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:turns out when a guy who plays no defense, can't shoot, is turnover prone, but has the highest usage plus teammates who box out so he can pull down 10 uncontested defensive rebounds a game, he's going to fill the stat sheet and impress casuals.

Never forget:

BostonCouchGM wrote:Michael Porter Jr.
Bamba
Ayton
Bagley
Robinson
JJJ
Miles Bridges
Anfernee Simons
Isaac Bonga
Shai Gileous-Alexander
Zhaire Smith
Mikal Bridges
Wendell Carter
Elie Okobo
Luka Doncic
Trae Young

It's legit impossible to be more wrong. If everyone did their mock up and deliberately tried to be an ass, they'd still come up with a more correct mock up.
Muha_i_samolet
Senior

Post#87 » by Muha_i_samolet » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:58 am

Not happening until KP deal is out. He's taking up 1/3 of the cap while providing literally nothing.
gottamakeit
Bench Warmer

Post#88 » by gottamakeit » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:00 am

Bob8 wrote:[streamable][/streamable]
gottamakeit wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

It really isn't that difficult to find players around Luka. You have too shoot and defend, play making is not that important. Someone like Mikal Bridges would be perfect. Maybe more problematic will be find a player, who will run second unit. Someone good, but being ok not starting. Maybe Ricky Rubio will be prepared to take this role.

If Jalen Brunson aint it, maybe the Mavs should look at an over-the-hill point guard. Patty Mills, Lowry, Rubio, George Hill?
Also Mikal Bridges is playing really well this year and is breaking out. Not sure this years Bridges is at all possible to get. Phoenix loves him, as they should.
Muha_i_samolet
Senior

Post#89 » by Muha_i_samolet » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:03 am

gottamakeit wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:

If Jalen Brunson aint it, maybe the Mavs should look at an over-the-hill point guard. Patty Mills, Lowry, Rubio, George Hill?

Rubio would be fun. Mills is also good. Hill has been a negative for a couple of seasons already, was horrid in the PO. Lowry also too old.
gottamakeit
Bench Warmer

Post#90 » by gottamakeit » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:06 am

Muha_i_samolet wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:

Rubio would be fun. Mills is also good. Hill has been a negative for a couple of seasons already, was horrid in the PO. Lowry also too old.

I would think the Mavs could reasonably offer a 2 year guaranteed deal. Lowry would demand that. With him on board, i think you could contend the first year. He could run your second unit and close games.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#91 » by Bob8 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:09 am

gottamakeit wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:

Also Mikal Bridges is playing really well this year and is breaking out. Not sure this years Bridges is at all possible to get. Phoenix loves him, as they should.

I know Bridges is impossible. I meant someone like him with similar skill set. Rubio looks interesting to me. Not in exactly great situation now, Minnesota will probably rebuild, a veteran but still heaving few good years and Euro, who might understand more, what Mavs wants from him.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#92 » by Bob8 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:12 am

gottamakeit wrote:
Muha_i_samolet wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:

I would think the Mavs could reasonably offer a 2 year guaranteed deal. Lowry would demand that. With him on board, i think you could contend the first year. He could run your second unit and close games.

I'm very sceptical Lowry will be ok by not starting.
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,715

Post#93 » by naabzor » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:24 am

They got Richardson right?
gottamakeit
Bench Warmer

Post#94 » by gottamakeit » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:27 am

Bob8 wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:
Muha_i_samolet wrote:

Its not about who starts but about who finishes. Carlisle would give him significant minutes to play for a contending team. Not sure why Lowry would say no to that situation.
Muha_i_samolet
Senior

Post#95 » by Muha_i_samolet » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:35 am

gottamakeit wrote:
Muha_i_samolet wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:

I wouldn't mind. I know we have some free money and can free up some more if needed.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#96 » by Bob8 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:39 am

gottamakeit wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:

Its not about who starts but about who finishes. Carlisle would give him significant minutes to play for a contending team. Not sure why Lowry would say no to that situation.

Because not many so-called stars are prepared to do that. He would see himself more like missing 3rd star than a player, who runs second unit. He started every game in last 8 years. Good luck with persuading him he should come in Dallas and not starting. So if he comes, he starts. The question is, will be Dallas that much better with him besides Luka? He will be 35 in few months.
djizo
Freshman
And1: 78

Post#97 » by djizo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:33 am

Muha_i_samolet wrote:
Bamba
Ayton
Bagley
Robinson
JJJ
Miles Bridges
Anfernee Simons
Isaac Bonga
Shai Gileous-Alexander
Zhaire Smith
Mikal Bridges
Wendell Carter
Elie Okobo
Luka Doncic
Trae Young

It's legit impossible to be more wrong. If everyone did their mock up and deliberately tried to be an ass, they'd still come up with a more correct mock up.

Vlade asked to hold his beer.

Read on Twitter
mpoo_sin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,118

Post#98 » by mpoo_sin » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:51 am

djizo wrote:
Muha_i_samolet wrote:
Bamba
Ayton
Bagley
Robinson
JJJ
Miles Bridges
Anfernee Simons
Isaac Bonga
Shai Gileous-Alexander
Zhaire Smith
Mikal Bridges
Wendell Carter
Elie Okobo
Luka Doncic
Trae Young

Read on Twitter

ooff!
man....Bagley is a catastrophe
BoardCrusher
Junior
And1: 319

Post#99 » by BoardCrusher » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:54 am

gottamakeit wrote:
Muha_i_samolet wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:

are you saying the inferior player should be closing games?
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,770

Post#100 » by Archx » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:56 am

djizo wrote:
Muha_i_samolet wrote:
Bamba
Ayton
Bagley
Robinson
JJJ
Miles Bridges
Anfernee Simons
Isaac Bonga
Shai Gileous-Alexander
Zhaire Smith
Mikal Bridges
Wendell Carter
Elie Okobo
Luka Doncic
Trae Young

Read on Twitter

If Doncic's defense falls off cliff after last game, i'll still be shocked how good he can be if he really tries. I can't believe how good as a unit Mavs have become on defense this season.

Muha_i_samolet wrote:

Not happening until KP deal is out. He's taking up 1/3 of the cap while providing literally nothing.

I'll just repeat what Hornets coach said after the game. KP and WCS long arms really bothered them. Those two protected the paint while Luka and others protected the perimeter. If Gobert can be paid 200M i think sure as hell KP can be paid big $$$ while also being a great floor spacer and 2ndary option. Obviously him being healthy can be up for discussion but still, saying he does "literally nothing" is very wrong.

Return to The General Board