ImageImageImage

GAME 10: Jazz @ Pistons 3PM

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,084

Re: GAME 10: Jazz @ Pistons 3PM 

Post#101 » by NYPiston » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:39 pm

Billl wrote:I think there is a big difference in mistakes you make while playing hard and mistakes you make being lazy. When Okafor lofted that soft pass cross court, under our basket..... that deserves a quick yank. When Stewart picks up a foul going hard after a rebound.... you let him play through that and learn. Lately, Sekou has been making a lot of low effort plays. If he was driving hard to the basket and was a bit out of control... I'd be upset if he got the hook for that. If he's going to float around the perimeter and then jack up some bad shots? You can't continue to let him develop bad habits like that.

Agreed.

He's doing absolutely nothing with the minutes given to him. He's floating aimlessly around the perimeter, he looks lost trying to figure where to be on the court and his body language is god awful. I'm all about young player development and have been one of Casey's harshest critics in regards to his rotations and vet favoritism but Sekou is doing absolutely nothing to earn more minutes.

I said this late last season and said it again earlier this season. For whatever reason whether it be on Casey or Sekou, I don't think he'll be here long. There doesn't seem to be much of a connection between coach and player, the Pistons are trying to build a culture built on hard work and character and Sekou just doesn't seem to have that drive to "want it" enough. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't put in the work, you're not going far in this league. I'd be surprised if he was here next season, sadly.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#102 » by edmunder_prc » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:21 am

NYPiston wrote:
Billl wrote:I think there is a big difference in mistakes you make while playing hard and mistakes you make being lazy. When Okafor lofted that soft pass cross court, under our basket..... that deserves a quick yank. When Stewart picks up a foul going hard after a rebound.... you let him play through that and learn. Lately, Sekou has been making a lot of low effort plays. If he was driving hard to the basket and was a bit out of control... I'd be upset if he got the hook for that. If he's going to float around the perimeter and then jack up some bad shots? You can't continue to let him develop bad habits like that.

Agreed.

He's doing absolutely nothing with the minutes given to him. He's floating aimlessly around the perimeter, he looks lost trying to figure where to be on the court and his body language is god awful. I'm all about young player development and have been one of Casey's harshest critics in regards to his rotations and vet favoritism but Sekou is doing absolutely nothing to earn more minutes.

I said this late last season and said it again earlier this season. For whatever reason whether it be on Casey or Sekou, I don't think he'll be here long. There doesn't seem to be much of a connection between coach and player, the Pistons are trying to build a culture built on hard work and character and Sekou just doesn't seem to have that drive to "want it" enough. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't put in the work, you're not going far in this league. I'd be surprised if he was here next season, sadly.

Dwayne Casey's coaching style is interesting because everyone gets a card with something written on it. That is their goal. They must do that or they wont get minutes.

I'm 100% Sekou's is run down the court as hard as you can, or play as hard as you can. He usually does that.

But what else could it say? He can't do anything well. Like Svi for sure is look for a good 3. Run your ass off without the ball, get free and shoot in motion.

I like that card idea for Casey, but Sekou is really bad, doesnt have the skills to do anything positive to build on. Sometimes he shoots the 3 alright, but he if gets the ball with the idea of doing something with it, its a turnover or a missed shot - its a lost possession.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,340

Post#103 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:48 am

Snakebites wrote:All for the greater good, but man does wanting this team to lose take a TOLL on me as a fan.

I'm tired of feeling conflicted every time we win, and feeling good, but not good about feeling good, when we lose.

:(

Embrace wanting to lose every game like me.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,761

Post#104 » by Snakebites » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:52 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:All for the greater good, but man does wanting this team to lose take a TOLL on me as a fan.

I'm tired of feeling conflicted every time we win, and feeling good, but not good about feeling good, when we lose.

Trouble is, losing usually involves being miserable to watch.

Not always mind you, there are exceptions, but yeesh.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,340

Post#105 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:20 am

Snakebites wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

Yeah this is the low point for us. If we can land a top 5 pick this season we will end up with the best prospect we've had since lol Darko or G.Hill. That alone will make next season so much better.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#106 » by 440BB » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:33 am

Snakebites wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

For me they're losing in a pretty watchable way. Playing hard and keeping it close with a chance to win in the last couple minutes keeps me from tuning away for the most part. I find myself looking for particular players development in every game and there are enough interesting possibilities I can tolerate the mistakes. Unlike years past, there are glimmers of hope that pop up during every game.

Everybody standing still during hero ball moments on offense is the part I can't stand to watch, win or lose.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#107 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:44 am

Is that card thing actually true?

Never heard that before so looking for confirmation
edmunder_prc wrote:
NYPiston wrote:

Agreed.

Dwayne Casey's coaching style is interesting because everyone gets a card with something written on it. That is their goal. They must do that or they wont get minutes.

I'm 100% Sekou's is run down the court as hard as you can, or play as hard as you can. He usually does that.

But what else could it say? He can't do anything well. Like Svi for sure is look for a good 3. Run your ass off without the ball, get free and shoot in motion.

I like that card idea for Casey, but Sekou is really bad, doesnt have the skills to do anything positive to build on. Sometimes he shoots the 3 alright, but he if gets the ball with the idea of doing something with it, its a turnover or a missed shot - its a lost possession.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
_Und3r][D4wg_
Pro Prospect
And1: 563

Post#108 » by _Und3r][D4wg_ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:59 am

Pharaoh wrote:Is that card thing actually true?

I remember reading that somewhere... Not sure where anymore, but it might've been at Detroit Free Press.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#109 » by edmunder_prc » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:17 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:
NYPiston wrote:
Agreed.

Do a google search "Dwane Casey coaching style each player card". The first page are all articles going back to his Toronto years.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#110 » by Pharaoh » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:52 pm

Appreciate you looking it up.

Thanks
edmunder_prc wrote:

edmunder_prc wrote:

Do a google search "Dwane Casey coaching style each player card". The first page are all articles going back to his Toronto years.

edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#111 » by edmunder_prc » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:12 pm

Pharaoh wrote:Appreciate you looking it up.

Thanks
edmunder_prc wrote:

I didnt look it up, I remember Casey's pre-season videos. He talks about it all the time. I put them there for you. 8-) 8-)
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#112 » by Pharaoh » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:42 pm

Apparently he did it in Toronto all the time so guys would know their roles.

Normally that'd come via convos
edmunder_prc wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Appreciate you looking it up.

Thanks
edmunder_prc wrote:

I didnt look it up, I remember Casey's pre-season videos. He talks about it all the time. I put them there for you. 8-) 8-)

Kp junior
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#113 » by Kp junior » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:14 am

That was probably Stewart’s best game I think. Looked really good offensively. Even had a crack at the 3!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#114 » by flow » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:46 pm

Jackattaq wrote:SVI is useless if he isn’t hitting, a pure chucker. Hope he isn’t part of the long term plans. He does NOT play D. He doesn’t close on shooters. Stands outside waiting to chuck threes. Ugh.

We spent 5 years complaining (rightfully) that we had no 3 pt shooters. Now we're complaining about a guy because 3's is his only asset? (which it's not, by the way)
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#115 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:01 pm

Svi played really well last game against the Bucks. His ball handling has improved so that he can drive, be patient, hit easy shots closer to the basket.

The problem is it took a while for that to happen, so Svi is a free agent. If he really develops, he will leave somewhere else unless Pistons pay him.

Thats the problem with someone like Hayes. If he takes 3 years to develop, then year 4 when he finally helps the team, the Pistons have to pay him like an all star and never got any benefit from him.

I watched that Pelicans/Lakers game last night, Brandon Ingram looked awesome. Hes so athletic and long, he looks like Gumby out there sliding around and his arms nearly touch the floor, he can shoot over anyone. But he sucked for too long and the Lakers let him go. If Killian develops in 3-4 years, thats too long. That GM was already fired because the guys they drafted too long to do anything. No one can draft guys that take 3 years to develop. Unless they have complete trust from the owner because they already went to the ECF or won a championship.

Return to Detroit Pistons