Time for Saunders to go?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,839

Re: Time for Saunders to go? 

Post#141 » by Domejandro » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:30 pm

Nobody is providing a reasonable explanation of what Ryan Saunders is supposed to do with a roster this horribly structured. Playing zone is an absolute death sentence, but the roster's construction is so horrible that Minnesota has to play a ton of it.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,259

Post#142 » by Baseline81 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:36 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:The wolves are the worst team in the west. Worst than OKC. That should tell you something.

You will get no argument from me.

Unfortunately, his name is likely the reason Taylor gave him the interim position to begin with.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#143 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:55 pm

The biggest issue this team has right now is personnel. Should Saunders be able to coach around that and still be a playoff contender? Possibly. But he isn't really the root of the issue right now.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Baseline81
Starter

Post#144 » by Baseline81 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:17 pm

Klomp wrote:The biggest issue this team has right now is personnel. Should Saunders be able to coach around that and still be a playoff contender? Possibly. But he isn't really the root of the issue right now.

There are several issues this team is battling with. Coaching is likely the easiest one to fix.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,157

Post#145 » by _AIJ_ » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:55 pm

He is wasting Culver and Edwards. Ryan has absolutely no clue on how to use them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#146 » by Krapinsky » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:28 pm

I wish the Wolves had a little bit more Cobra Kai in them and a little less Miyagi-Do. Is that Saunders' fault? Rosas'?

Just about the entire roster outside of Beasley, Naz, and Vanderbilt is soft. KAT, Russell, Rubio, Culver, Juancho, Layman, and Edwards all look soft out there. Okogie hustles like the best of them but is usually playing out of position and overmatched.

This is what Butler couldn't take while he was here and instead of that being a wake up call, we traded Butler and built around our soft players. Wiggins for Russell is probably a push. I'm glad Kat and Russell are pals. I'm glad it feels good to have homecomings and pair the Spaniards together. I'm glad Culver is the perfect gentlemen and I'm glad Edwards is funny. But all that feel good stuff doesn't matter if it doesn't translate to winning.

I'm starting to sense that Rosas' mantra is to have a happy locker room and then hope it translates to winning. When in reality you need to have a winning basketball team to have a happy locker room.

I also get the sense that Saunders doesn't command the respect of the players. Don't get me wrong -- they like the guy, how could they not, but Saunders hasn't done much in the league at this point to command respect. He's not a former NBA player and he hasn't proven to be a winning coach at any level. I would imagine players have a hard time trusting his judgement and that's why we an't get everyone on the same page and putting in the necessary effort. I'd love to be wrong about this, but that's where I'm at.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#147 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:28 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#148 » by ChiefKeith91 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:22 am

Krapinsky wrote:I wish the Wolves had a little bit more Cobra Kai in them and a little less Miyagi-Do. Is that Saunders' fault? Rosas'?

Just about the entire roster outside of Beasley, Naz, and Vanderbilt is soft. KAT, Russell, Rubio, Culver, Juancho, Layman, and Edwards all look soft out there. Okogie hustles like the best of them but is usually playing out of position and overmatched.

This is what Butler couldn't take while he was here and instead of that being a wake up call, we traded Butler and built around our soft players. Wiggins for Russell is probably a push. I'm glad Kat and Russell are pals. I'm glad it feels good to have homecomings and pair the Spaniards together. I'm glad Culver is the perfect gentlemen and I'm glad Edwards is funny. But all that feel good stuff doesn't matter if it doesn't translate to winning.

I'm starting to sense that Rosas' mantra is to have a happy locker room and then hope it translates to winning. When in reality you need to have a winning basketball team to have a happy locker room.

I also get the sense that Saunders doesn't command the respect of the players. Don't get me wrong -- they like the guy, how could they not, but Saunders hasn't done much in the league at this point to command respect. He's not a former NBA player and he hasn't proven to be a winning coach at any level. I would imagine players have a hard time trusting his judgement and that's why we an't get everyone on the same page and putting in the necessary effort. I'd love to be wrong about this, but that's where I'm at.

Agreed. I would rather have a locker full of tough minded players than everyone be buddy buddy. One of the many things I loved about Kobe.He didn't recruit the BPA in FA he wanted dogs (Artest, Barnes) that played hard and didnt back down.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#149 » by Krapinsky » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:28 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Edwards doesn't rebound well for a SG so I don't see how playing him at PF is a good idea unless it's part of the long game to instill some toughness in him.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,702

Post#150 » by thinktank » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:52 am

Edwards at PF is yet another player out of position.
"a poor addition to the board"
Chello1
Junior
And1: 114

Post#151 » by Chello1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:20 am

Domejandro wrote:Nobody is providing a reasonable explanation of what Ryan Saunders is supposed to do with a roster this horribly structured. Playing zone is an absolute death sentence, but the roster's construction is so horrible that Minnesota has to play a ton of it.

It isn't the systems!!!!! It is the effort and his lack of control of his team. They go off the system at the first sign of trouble, he doesn't bench any of these guys when they don't effort.... I could go on and on.... It has nothing to do with systems.... Effort, discipline and work ethic!
Chello1
Junior
And1: 114

Post#152 » by Chello1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:21 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

The dumbest thing I have ever heard!!!!! Fire these clowns and save our franchise!
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,963

Post#153 » by wolves_89 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:00 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

At this point it's like the Wolves are begging opposing teams to destroy them in the paint.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#154 » by AbeVigodaLive » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:25 am

_AIJ_ wrote:He is wasting Culver and Edwards. Ryan has absolutely no clue on how to use them

Ya think Saunders should figure out a way to get Culver to the free throw line more?
Baseline81
Starter

Post#155 » by Baseline81 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:22 pm

The Saunders' quote from Krawczynski is mind-boggling to say the least. Edwards is struggling at the moment, but let's overcomplicate things by playing him in a position he never has...
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#156 » by AbeVigodaLive » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:04 pm

Baseline81 wrote:The Saunders' quote from Krawczynski is mind-boggling to say the least. Edwards is struggling at the moment, but let's overcomplicate things by playing him in a position he never has...

There was a time during the Rambis coaching tenure... and the Kahn regime... when the only thing to do was lean in to the ridiculousness.

The Timberwolves are the worst NBA organization ever. It's not even debatable... with scores of anecdotal and tangible evidence to cement that position. So why are we fighting it?

New players. New coaches. New regimes. New promises. New pleas for our patience. New declarations of change. And yet here we are. Embrace it!
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#157 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:05 pm

Either get McDaniels playing, or SIGN PATTON.

I can't believe nobody else sees Patton's fit here. All the times I've brought it up and nobody dares even talk about him. He was a first round pick who busted because of injuries. Well, all that means is we didn't have to play him for the developing years. He's now had some development years in the Gleague and has shown to beat on the guys at that level.

Patton on a 10 day contract. What could it possibly hurt?
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#158 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:07 pm

Baseline81 wrote:The Saunders' quote from Krawczynski is mind-boggling to say the least. Edwards is struggling at the moment, but let's overcomplicate things by playing him in a position he never has...

I'm imagining that conversation...

Rosas: Hey Ryan, why dont you try Edwards at PF and go full on small-Ball style?
Ryan: OK Boss

Ryan fault.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#159 » by Baseline81 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:20 pm

mercgold3 wrote:I'm imagining that conversation...

Rosas: Hey Ryan, why dont you try Edwards at PF and go full on small-Ball style?

Ryan fault.

That doesn't say much about Saunders, does it? He's nothing more than someone who falls in line.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#160 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:24 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:I'm imagining that conversation...

Ryan fault.

That doesn't say much about Saunders, does it? He's nothing more than someone who falls in line.

True, but i guess thats what happends when you are the youngest coach in the NBA with such little experience.
Is not also in the intrested of Rosas to let Ryan go exacly because of that.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves