Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2019/20; George McCaskey is on the clock

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Brothaman33
Senior
And1: 443

Re: Bears 2019/20; George McCaskey is on the clock 

Post#941 » by Brothaman33 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:16 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:
transplant wrote:
fleet wrote:guys from the practice squad rescuing your line is not stellar stuff transplant. That means plan A failed and Pace wasted money/assets.

Disagree...strongly. Plan A failed because Daniels (their best OL) and Massie got injured and Whitehair (their 2nd best OL) got "Covided." Pace found quality OL players who no one else drafted. That's good ****, man.

I'm big fans of both Daniels and Whitehair. But when all these guys were healthy this offensive line as a unit was terrible. TERRIBLE.
Pace filled in some practice squad players that nobody else wanted and got lucky. Plan A was failing hard. Lets not be giving Pace credit for this. Lets also not forget it was soon after Nagy gave up play calling that we started seeing some cohesiveness on the offensive side in multiple areas.

Yes, but he brought them in though. Could plan A have failed because if scheme as well? If thats the case its on Nagy more then it would be on Pace.

You don't have to give him credit, fine. But the line got better the last half of the season, regardless, and Montgomery (who Pace also drafted) looked very good behind it.

Why is there no middle ground? Ryan Pace could have been fired and it would have been justified. But he is not this terror of a GM who has led his team to 3 straight 3-13 seasons. He's been OK, average, sub par, some good, some bad.
"Thibs and Deng make Skiles and Duhon look like a one night stand" - Red Larrivee
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,852

Post#942 » by nomorezorro » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

embarrassing
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
mack2354
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#943 » by mack2354 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:00 pm

Lovie Smith for Defensive Coordinator?
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,059

Post#944 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:09 pm

Brothaman33 wrote:
transplant wrote:Disagree...strongly. Plan A failed because Daniels (their best OL) and Massie got injured and Whitehair (their 2nd best OL) got "Covided." Pace found quality OL players who no one else drafted. That's good ****, man.

I'm big fans of both Daniels and Whitehair. But when all these guys were healthy this offensive line as a unit was terrible. TERRIBLE.
Pace filled in some practice squad players that nobody else wanted and got lucky. Plan A was failing hard. Lets not be giving Pace credit for this. Lets also not forget it was soon after Nagy gave up play calling that we started seeing some cohesiveness on the offensive side in multiple areas.

Yes, but he brought them in though. Could plan A have failed because if scheme as well? If thats the case its on Nagy more then it would be on Pace.

You don't have to give him credit, fine. But the line got better the last half of the season, regardless, and Montgomery (who Pace also drafted) looked very good behind it.

Why is there no middle ground? Ryan Pace could have been fired and it would have been justified. But he is not this terror of a GM who has led his team to 3 straight 3-13 seasons. He's been OK, average, sub par, some good, some bad.

Yes, he is a mediocre GM. If you're ok with that then fine. Obviously ownership is but I'm not surprised.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#945 » by bearadonisdna » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:54 pm

look my big knocks on nagy was debilitating the run game last year and leaving points on the board.

montogomery being a top 5 rusher while being being debilitated by a foles offense is super encouraging.

trubisky was the wildcard that unlocked that little gem of a rusher i believe.
at this point , we need to shore up the protection to accodate some mitch progression.

oh and i feel pagano is a wash DC. Like idk what he provides, the d seems to under perform.
Brothaman33
Senior
And1: 443

Post#946 » by Brothaman33 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:02 pm

Brothaman33 wrote:

Yes, he is a mediocre GM. If you're ok with that then fine. Obviously ownership is but I'm not surprised.

I'm not saying I am. But after listening to the press conference, the McCaskeys and Ted Phillips are absolutely clueless...i don't expect them to get anything right...new coach or not.
"Thibs and Deng make Skiles and Duhon look like a one night stand" - Red Larrivee
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,316

Post#947 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:25 pm

I want an attacking defense....let these pit bulls loose.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,208

Post#948 » by fleet » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:37 pm

Spoiler:
nomorezorro wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

embarrassing

:lol:

It's the ownership. Always was, always will be. But in hindsight, to expect the Bears to be fire anyone that has a guaranteed contract is to expect too much. It happens, but ....
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,600

Post#949 » by jacoby1us » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:44 pm

The Bears have to consider offering Mack to a team like the Dolphins to acquire some assets to beef up our OL and potentially create some cap space for other needs. We really set ourselves back by winning games, not acquiring assets and positioning our team for higher draft pick.

Does Pace and Nagy's contracts end after this next season or what? This may be the reason ownership won't release them.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
patryk7754
Head Coach
And1: 1,093

Post#950 » by patryk7754 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:59 pm

Pace said the priority is going to upgrade the QB position. Sounds like they’re going to try to go all in on one (like the Mack trade). Question who will be available that’s going to make a huge impact. Unless Stafford gets cut, the available Qb might be Carr
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#951 » by patryk7754 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:00 pm

I guess they can throw their hats in for Watson but I would guess it’ll cost at least Mack and two 1sts
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#952 » by patryk7754 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:04 pm

An advantage the bears have over other teams reportedly looking to trade for Watson is being outside the division. The disadvantage s that other teams can offer QBs and high picks
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,813

Post#953 » by Dresden » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:27 pm

Disappointing that at least Pace didn't get fired. IMO, the whole offense needs upgrading, outside of Montgomery, Mooney, Arob (who is gone), and maybe a lineman or two. The rest all needs an upgrade. that's a huge job, given how little they have to work with.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,813

Post#954 » by Dresden » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:28 pm

patryk7754 wrote:I guess they can throw their hats in for Watson but I would guess it’ll cost at least Mack and two 1sts

I'd probably do that. Rather give up Mack than 3 more firsts.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Post#955 » by transplant » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:59 pm

fleet wrote:
Spoiler:
nomorezorro wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

embarrassing

:lol:

It's the ownership. Always was, always will be. But in hindsight, to expect the Bears to be fire anyone that has a guaranteed contract is to expect too much. It happens, but ....

The media often talks about how the Bears are a multi-Billion $ business, but they're clearly a mom & pop operation. I don't say this as an insult, only as a matter of fact. While I've never been a top exec, I was the next level down in a 2,000+ employee organization for a long time. George McCaskey and Ted Phillips could not survive as top execs in a typical major business. They're probably nice people, but they're weak sticks. They come across as what they are...family ownership of an organization that has hundreds rather than thousands of employees.

George McCaskey and Ted Phillips value comfort at least as much as they value performance. The McCaskeys completely trust Ted Phillips. They adopted him as a member of the family years ago. The media would like to break this bond. Frankly, they should spend their time on something that has more than a 0% chance of happening. George and Ted like Pace. They get along with him very well. They see him as a bright young man who knows football and they would like him to be their "football guy" for decades. At least as important, they don't want to bring in a new stranger. They like Nagy for lots of the same reasons. They put a lot of stock in how the team held together after the 4 game losing streak in 2019 and the 6-game losing streak in 2020. Despite the adversity, Nagy never "lost the team" and never lost Pace's confidence.

Coming off this season, the media thought that if Nagy or Pace would be fired, it would be Pace. Frankly, the media believed this because that was what they would do. I don't believe it. They really want Pace to be their guy long term...in their perfect world, they'd like to adopt him into the family like they did Phillips.

Largely because they are a mom & pop organization and value comfort more highly than they do performance, the Bears will accept what they consider competitiveness rather than demanding excellence. This said, they would like excellence (who doesn't?), but they'll accept something less.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#956 » by patryk7754 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:14 pm

seems like Watson will force his way out of Houston. Maybe the bears can convince them that trading him out of the conference is better than getting a top 5 pick.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,208

Post#957 » by fleet » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:16 pm

patryk7754 wrote:seems like Watson will force his way out of Houston. Maybe the bears can convince them that trading him out of the conference is better than getting a top 5 pick.

Kind of like the Jay Cutler situation. Yeah I guess it can work. But the Bears are not in position to give up a lot of assets and money and still expect to win
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,585

Post#958 » by JohnnyTapwater » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:19 pm

I really can't see us going after Watson or even Tyrod, who I think would be a great bridge QB.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#959 » by patryk7754 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:21 pm

fleet wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:seems like Watson will force his way out of Houston. Maybe the bears can convince them that trading him out of the conference is better than getting a top 5 pick.

Kind of like the Jay Cutler situation. Yeah I guess it can work. But the Bears are not in position to give up a lot of assets and money and still expect to win

The bears might not be but Pace is. Only chance he keeps his job starts by getting an all-star QB so I don't think he'll care too much about the assets he gives up.

I think a good starting point would be Foles, Hicks, Quinn and two firsts
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#960 » by patryk7754 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:24 pm

Just saw the Bears are projected to have over 80m in cap space entering the 2022 offseason. Obviously, it won't stay like that but if the Bears sign a bunch of 1 year deals I don't think it'll be too big of a stretch to assume we'll have close to that amount in cap.

Return to Chicago Bulls