Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,382

Re: Mikal Bridges news and highlights 

Post#461 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 1:16 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:
Yeah, and I still feel like thats not his game, not really in his arsenal. He can do it occasionally, but do not expect him to be a Booker/KD/PG - lite on offense. That is not him. And I'm fine with that. This kid has already carved out a lot more from his basketball career than people/experts were projecting. That's what you call overachieving, and is the best thing you can do for yourself in life - regardless of basketball too, but this is a basketball forum. :)
Just imagine for a second if all of our draftpicks would overachieve like Mikal or Book :D

I don't think that's what he does now, but I think it's because he is a high iq player and knows that 3 pt shots or cutting to the rim are a lot smarter plays than iso ing for a midrange two, which is simply not a good shot and what most teams try to cut out of their shots and games if possible.

But we've seen the ability, him practicing it against LeBron even and it's certainly in his arsenal. I think it's something he can pull out of his back pocket at any time if needed, but understands that's not a smart way to play, if you can help it...and you want as many open 3s and shots at the rim as possible, which is what we are mostly trying to do as a team concept.

I think that he is improving, but he does not have that in his arsenal yet. He has done it a few times here and there, but you can not say that he does it night in and night out.

We just saw it againts the Clippers. They did hard closeouts on Galloway, Cam, Crowder and Mikal because they knew that all of them struggle creating off the bounce. It worked for them this time, it was the key on their win.

It is not a secret that the best offensive players in the game are 3-level scorers, that way they are tough to stop for any type of defenses. That is the next step for Bridges and he needs to do it consistently. We would be even more dangerous as a team.

We've seen it's something we can do, but that's not what Monty wants, and Bridges knows that's not an efficient way to play. Bridges sticks with the system that we have been successful with and he likely knows what the high percentage shots are...shoot if open or trust to pass it to your teammate.

I know a lot of people love seeing guys play iso ball...perhaps it was the Kobe generation, or Melo,or Iverson, but it's just not an efficient way to play. Now,with flopping and the guys who have become great at drawing fouls like Harden and Doncic, or even Booker to an extent, you can make it more efficient. But even Booker, a great guy at creating off the dribble, averages around 46% from short to mid-long range...which equates to about a 32% shot from 3. Booker can finish 70% at the rim though, and hopefully at some point can be a good 3 pt shooter.

But back to Bridges. He is shooting 46% from 3 and 91.7% at the rim. Now the latter is certainly not sustainable, and probably the former, but it would be ridiculously dumb for him to start trying to create off the dribble.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This is not a smart shot, for anyone really. The elite players know this which is why everyone goes for the rim or 3s.

Now there may be situations you are absolutely forced to, at the end of a shot clock or game, with no one open, and no other options, but it's just not something people should be looking to do.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#462 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 1:19 pm

Bogyo wrote:^^ You guys sum it up good. I guess we'll see the next 10 games or so, I'm sure most all of the teams will be more agressively attacking our shooters on closeouts. We'll see who has the best, and more importantly, consistent counter move from the Bridges/Cam/Galloway trio.

They've been pretty good at making the best move on a consistent closeout...passing it to the 3 pt shooter next to them....or sidestepping the guy closing out allowing him to run by, and launching a 3. Bridges has been good at attacking if in the corner and can take it to the rim. Stepping in to take a shorter shot can be ok if that's the best option. Going iso is probably the worst option..especially if still guarded.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#463 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:04 pm

Read on Twitter
sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,449

Post#464 » by sasquatchBob » Wed Jan 6, 2021 1:02 pm

I think Bridges is too lanky to ever become a great ball-handler but he can still be an excellent player without it so I'm not too worried.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,204

Post#465 » by King4Day » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:13 pm

"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,080

Post#466 » by oddity » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:25 pm

Run the Jewels!!!
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#467 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:15 pm

sasquatchBob wrote:I think Bridges is too lanky to ever become a great ball-handler but he can still be an excellent player without it so I'm not too worried.

Read on Twitter
sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,449

Post#468 » by sasquatchBob » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:44 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
sasquatchBob wrote:I think Bridges is too lanky to ever become a great ball-handler but he can still be an excellent player without it so I'm not too worried.

Read on Twitter

I know it's on Lebron but I don't think any of those are great examples of spectacular ball handling. It's just solid. The 2nd highlight looks the most impressive but he kind of just caught LeBron out of position. My favorite part about what he seems to have added this year is exactly like in that play - the under the basket lay-up. It's just a beauty to watch.

I think with his length he doesn't need to be particularly great at handling the ball anyway. He has advantage over most of the players with his quickness and long arms.

That being said, I still hope he ends up being an amazing ball handler. In that case he would be MVP material :D
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,080

Post#469 » by oddity » Wed Jan 6, 2021 9:31 pm

Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
King4Day
RealGM

Post#470 » by King4Day » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:38 pm

Saw this posted on Reddit. The night bridges was almost not a Sun

We can talk about the mistake of not taking Luka but, while not on the same level, Philly has to be having similar thoughts about not holding onto Mikal.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,343

Post#471 » by sunskerr » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:44 pm

King4Day wrote:Saw this posted on Reddit. The night bridges was almost not a Sun

We can talk about the mistake of not taking Luka but, while not on the same level, Philly has to be having similar thoughts about not holding onto Mikal.

It's a different level of player though so the regret is on a different scale. Luka looks like an all time great so you want to cry yourself to sleep at night and never watch the Suns again, whilst Mikal hasn't hit all-star status yet. They obviously regret not having Mikal though, as he is perfect for their system with Embiid and is still improving the rest of his game to the point where being an all-star could be in his future.
King4Day
RealGM

Post#472 » by King4Day » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:42 am

sunskerr wrote:
King4Day wrote:Saw this posted on Reddit. The night bridges was almost not a Sun

It's a different level of player though so the regret is on a different scale. Luka looks like an all time great so you want to cry yourself to sleep at night and never watch the Suns again, whilst Mikal hasn't hit all-star status yet. They obviously regret not having Mikal though, as he is perfect for their system with Embiid and is still improving the rest of his game to the point where being an all-star could be in his future.

What gives me a bit of peace on the Luka front is that there was a rumor that we may have selected Bagley too, had we selected number 2.
THAT, I'd never be able to live down.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,343

Post#473 » by sunskerr » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:47 am

King4Day wrote:What gives me a bit of peace on the Luka front is that there was a rumor that we may have selected Bagley too, had we selected number 2.

Yeah it's best to not think about the McDonough years anymore. Dude set us back 5-6 years already. Bagley would have set us back 10.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#474 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:42 pm

King4Day wrote:
sunskerr wrote:

What gives me a bit of peace on the Luka front is that there was a rumor that we may have selected Bagley too, had we selected number 2.

Yeah, I'm almost certain we would have taken Bagley too, provided Ayton went 2. I wouldn't even be surprised if we went Bamba 3 if Ayton/Bagley went 1/2. McD said he didn't see Luka..he tried to blame Sarver but he obviously could have gone with him and Jones. He ALWAYS said he was going to draft a big, even before the lottery. There was also rumor that he had said he expected Doncic to be a Hedo Turkoglu type player.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#475 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:48 pm

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Post#476 » by Saberestar » Mon Feb 8, 2021 9:55 am

Preacherpj
Junior
And1: 310

Post#477 » by Preacherpj » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:33 pm

Going to be an expensive new contract.

And will be worth every penny.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Post#478 » by Saberestar » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:27 pm

Read on Twitter
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,145

Post#479 » by Frank Lee » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:25 pm

He doesn’t need to be a ball handler per say...just needs to be able to put it on the floor with the pump and go from the wing. The guy has shown he can get his shot. That little baby J in the paint is really coming around. Coupled with a decent 3 ball... one of the two will be available to him
What ? Me Worry ?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#480 » by bwgood77 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:10 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

This guy is going to be a future all star. I don't know if people have looked at TS% by player on b-ref, but his is insane, and was especially before he had a couple games struggling from 3.

But add that and his defense, and his ability now to self create, he is on his way. I know many consider him a role player but he's a role player much in the same way Kawhi and George were early when they were considered 3&D guys.

I won't be surprised when he becomes the best lob threat with Ayton either, despite not handling the ball as much. Though that might be tough given he often only handles it for open 3s and open cuts.

Return to Phoenix Suns