Shams: Oladipo to Houston for Levert in Harden trade (Deal Complete)

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: Shams: Oladipo to Houston for Levert in Harden trade 

Post#121 » by Topofthekey » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:51 am

His injury gave him too much free time to dabble in music and acting, and now he can't stop

Looks like the injury not only caused Pacers to miss out on two years of Vic, it changed the entire trajectory of Vic's future with the franchise
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,293

Post#122 » by boomershadow » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:26 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Wizop wrote:WireTap reports Miami would like to trade for Beal. Victor must feel dissed.

I don't understand his fascination with Miami anyway

David Alexander, the personal trainer that helped him get in better shape before his breakout year, lives in Miami. Vic probably wants to be closer to him year-round.

There have rumors of "people" in Oladipo's ear all during his rehab telling him Indiana isn't a place you can win a championship or become a real superstar. I would bet money he is one of them.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#123 » by pacers33granger » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:21 pm

boomershadow wrote:There have rumors of "people" in Oladipo's ear all during his rehab telling him Indiana isn't a place you can win a championship or become a real superstar. I would bet money he is one of them.

Doesn't help that PG keeps trying to trash Indy for no reason years after he left. I have no doubt that his comments this past year about the team not doing everything it takes to win pushed Vic further in the direction of wanting out, even if slightly.

I think Vic will find the grass isn't always greener, same as PG. Indy has some very real financial constraints that other teams don't have, but the ones with open pocketbooks also oftentimes end up with terrible contracts riddling their roster like the Marcus Morrises of the world. Winning a title is tough for any franchise and, unless you've got Lebron, you can't cater to your star as much as most want.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#124 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:59 pm

Deal now complete, but apparently there were some issues in Levert's physical with us that held up the deal. We ended up getting another 2nd and cash as additional compensation.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#125 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:04 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#126 » by Boneman2 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:07 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Deal now complete, but apparently there were some issues in Levert's physical with us that held up the deal. We ended up getting another 2nd and cash as additional compensation.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Good on KP for milking another 2nd out of the deal. Any idea which team it's from.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#127 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:08 pm

Boneman2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Deal now complete, but apparently there were some issues in Levert's physical with us that held up the deal. We ended up getting another 2nd and cash as additional compensation.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Good on KP for milking another 2nd out of the deal. Any idea which team it's from.

I posted it while you were typing, probably. A 2024 from Cleveland that originally went to Brooklyn.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Re: Shams: Oladipo to Houston for Levert in Harden trade (Deal Complete) 

Post#128 » by Wizop » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:26 pm

Sounds like what was originally a separate trade was folded into the first trade so we could get something from each team.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#129 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:28 pm

Wizop wrote:Sounds like what was originally a separate trade was folded into the first trade so we could get something from each team.

Sent from my phone.

Yup. Plus, with the additional assets coming in, we were able to achieve the required “touches” with enough other teams required to be part of a 4 team deal.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#130 » by Wizop » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:53 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:Sounds like what was originally a separate trade was folded into the first trade so we could get something from each team.

Sent from my phone.

Yup. Plus, with the additional assets coming in, we were able to achieve the required “touches” with enough other teams required to be part of a 4 team deal.
Does folding it in mean Vic is in Houston until March?

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#131 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:56 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Sent from my phone.

Does folding it in mean Vic is in Houston until March?

Sent from my phone.

No. He went 1 for 1 in terms of players. His salary was able to return Levert’s by itself. He was not aggregated. They can flip him immediately if he’s not aggregated going from Houston for a larger salary. Otherwise, if they want to deal him plus something else for a larger salary, then they have to wait until mid March.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#132 » by pacers33granger » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:16 pm

Hopefully what came up in the physicals isn't too bad, but it's at least mildly concerning.

That said, the extra cash may help incentivize Simon to spend back up to the tax line on some frontcourt help. And it looks like we now have at least one 2nd owed to us in the each of the next six drafts, which is a weird thing for us to have.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#133 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:54 pm

pacers33granger wrote:Hopefully what came up in the physicals isn't too bad, but it's at least mildly concerning.

That said, the extra cash may help incentivize Simon to spend back up to the tax line on some frontcourt help. And it looks like we now have at least one 2nd owed to us in the each of the next six drafts, which is a weird thing for us to have.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Started a new thread just to discuss his injury.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#134 » by Wizop » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:58 pm

The more I read the more I like this deal. Bjorkgren will have tremendous back court options as LeVert seems to be enough of a combo guard to play with any of our guards.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#135 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:05 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#136 » by Topofthekey » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:09 am

Ok, so we got two 2RPs. Still wish we got a FRP instead, but sure, this will do
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,293

Post#137 » by boomershadow » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:12 am

How wrong is it to feel so good that Oladipo's first game as a Rocket was a loss to the Bulls.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#138 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:31 am

boomershadow wrote:How wrong is it to feel so good that Oladipo's first game as a Rocket was a loss to the Bulls.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Yeah the guy you people keep saying has no value had 34 points, 5 rbs, 9 ast, and 2 steals with 4 of 9 three pointers.

The guy we got that is such a stud is not gonna play for 2 months. But we got 2 2nd round picks and the joy of paying that new guy LeHurt $50 million.

At this point I would have rather let VO walk at the end of the season or just cut him loose today if he was such a problem.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#139 » by Topofthekey » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:16 am

The problem is, a player's trade value often has more to do with perception instead how valuable the player actually is

It's like that on this site, and I suspect is it also like that to a degree, among actual GMs and team owners

Vic is probably widely seen as damaged goods who wants out of Indiana

I mean, if reports of how strained the relationship with Vic has become are grounded in truth, I would imagine rival teams would have gotten wind of it as well

It was likely that most teams who engage in trade discussions with the Pacers interpret the Pacers' position as trying to salvage value instead of losing Vic for nothing

The only way that position can be reversed is if Vic played extremely well, and if the rumors stopped. But it's likely that the rumors were fuelled by people around Vic who were angling for Vic's exit, so even if Vic himself did not do anything to contribute to the rumors, there will still always be smoke

Basically the team was put in a tough position

I still am a bit disappointed at the returns they got for Vic, but if you look at the big picture, this is fine

Vic was unlikely to be part of the team's future anyway. It's clear that the team's future lies with Myles, Domas, and Brogdon. So in some ways, moving on from Vic sooner rather than later is a good thing

Yes we do lose out on Vic's production this year by trading him vs just keeping him and letting him walk at the end of the season

But at that point, Vic is essentially a one year rental for us

Do you really prefer a one year rental of Vic vs getting Levert and some 2RPs?

Like I said I wish the team could have squeezed a FRP out of the deal, and I assume they probably tried and failed. Levert and some 2RPs don't look like the most attractive returns, but it'll do

Worse case scenario, Levert can still be flipped again once he plays and rehabilitates his trade value

But I have a feeling that we're going to be very happy with Levert. I have a feeling he's going to be another TJ Warren for us. I don't expect him to turn into a star, but I do expect that he will be better than people thought. We just need to ride out this initial wave of disappointment
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#140 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:47 am

LeHurt won't even pick up a basketball to practice for 8 weeks. So don't expect to see any of him this season!

Return to Indiana Pacers