ImageImageImage

Michael Porter Jr

Moderator: THE J0KER

DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Re: Michael Porter Jr 

Post#281 » by DaFan334 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:46 am

Having dealt with Covid in November, I wouldn't be shocked if his situation was similar to mine. My roommate was sick and tested positive. Because of my contact with him, I was put in quarantine. I wasn't tested until about 10 days later because I didn't have symptoms and was told to wait 7 days because it may not initially show up. At the time, getting a test was hard and I basically couldn't get one for 3 more days. He was probably tested daily, but may not have tested positive until recently, probably yesterday. I was then told to quarantine for 14 days after my positive test, after testing positive with no symptoms at all. I believe they are now telling people to only do so for 10 days.

The other interesting thing that I learned from my experience, was that you can also test positive for up to 3 months after you are infected. This has made me question any of the pro sports testing procedures with regards to having to test negative three times in a row. I kind of assume this is to verify if the initial positive was a false positive but I haven't heard a great explanation on this.

As for why it hasn't been announced that he has Covid, if he in fact does, it is probably at his request or because they don't have his permission. I assume there are some HIPAA agreements in place in players' contracts that limit what health information can be released to the public.

So that's my guess and I think it makes a lot of sense.

One other thing I learned from the situation is that being asymptomatic and contagious definitely makes you realize how crazy the spread of this virus is. I would have had no idea I had it if my roommate never got sick and I could have been unknowingly spreading it without anyone knowing. That said, masks aren't to prevent you from getting the virus, but to help you from spreading the virus if you unknowingly have it. It's a simple courtesy to anyone you come in contact with. Thanks for reading my PSA.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#282 » by THE J0KER » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:54 am

17+ days pause is exactly something you expecting to see for asymptotic COVID positive case, but I'm still confused by terminology used in MPJ case. Seth Curry and one Sixers training stuff member are tested positive so that is announced and Curry is out indefinitely, while his six teammates are in 7+ days quarantine safety protocols due contacts with them. If Porter is tested positive, why both times they use "quarantine safety protocols" phrases which is in the past used only for precautions measures?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#283 » by The Rebel » Sat Jan 9, 2021 2:12 pm

THE J0KER wrote:17+ days pause is exactly something you expecting to see for asymptotic COVID positive case, but I'm still confused by terminology used in MPJ case. Seth Curry and one Sixers training stuff member are tested positive so that is announced and Curry is out indefinitely, while his six teammates are in 7+ days quarantine safety protocols due contacts with them. If Porter is tested positive, why both times they use "quarantine safety protocols" phrases which is in the past used only for precautions measures?

The Nuggets have a long history of not releasing medical information, it took almost a month into the bubble before we even found out it was BArton's knee holding him back. Even if you go back to the whole core injury thing, when Barton, Harris, and Juancho were all out with core injuries, it took years before it came out that it was actually hip injuries.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Post#284 » by Richard Miller » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:40 pm

Yea, don't count on Nuggets going into details about medical issues
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#285 » by THE J0KER » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:01 pm

If Porter is really COVID19 positive then I don't wish him to be back as soon as possible but when he is 100% ready and wish him to not suffer any long-term issues. Young pro athletes are probably on the top of the list of people who should not be scared too much of this disease, but I remind you that all NBA players who recovering from COVID19 during July arguably underperformed in the August bubble (Jokic, Westbrook, Brogdon, Bledsoe...), so if Porter follows their footsteps it means missing most of the January games and then underperform in February before March full comeback. So I really hope MPJ makes something foolish twice so he is in back-to-back quarantine procedure, not that he is tested positive this week or week before.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#286 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:50 pm

The Rebel wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:17+ days pause is exactly something you expecting to see for asymptotic COVID positive case, but I'm still confused by terminology used in MPJ case. Seth Curry and one Sixers training stuff member are tested positive so that is announced and Curry is out indefinitely, while his six teammates are in 7+ days quarantine safety protocols due contacts with them. If Porter is tested positive, why both times they use "quarantine safety protocols" phrases which is in the past used only for precautions measures?

The Nuggets have a long history of not releasing medical information, it took almost a month into the bubble before we even found out it was BArton's knee holding him back. Even if you go back to the whole core injury thing, when Barton, Harris, and Juancho were all out with core injuries, it took years before it came out that it was actually hip injuries.

Should we start a conspiracy-theory that the Nuggets are secretly owned by the CIA and that's why they are so paranoid about announcing when someone has a broken little toe or a broken back or anything in between? :biggrin: :usa:
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#287 » by THE J0KER » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:11 am

There is a report in November that Porter worked training together with Jason Tatum and Bradley Beal. All three are now in quarantine protocols. I know it is most probably just a big coincidence, but this is the wrong time for someone to become a gym fanatic. Maybe all three make the same mistake, visiting some public gyms in the host cities before or after road games? That would be enough for the NBA to send them in quarantine because gyms are high-risky places for this coronavirus.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#288 » by The Rebel » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:49 am

THE J0KER wrote:There is a report in November that Porter worked training together with Jason Tatum and Bradley Beal. All three are now in quarantine protocols. I know it is most probably just a big coincidence, but this is the wrong time for someone to become a gym fanatic. Maybe all three make the same mistake, visiting some public gyms in the host cities before or after road games? That would be enough for the NBA to send them in quarantine because gyms are high-risky places for this coronavirus.

MPJ has always been a gym fanatic, that is not the issue that is going on. Teams have access to training equipment every city they are in.

the 7 day is if you may have spent something like 5 minutes in an close proximity or enclosed area that tested positive. The Houston guys all got their haircut by the same barber, so it could literally be anything. Hell even getting an ride to the game by the car service and the driver testing positive the next day can cause the 7 day. The 10 day is testing positive, so whoever he was around gave it to him.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Post#289 » by Richard Miller » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:28 am

Read on Twitter
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#290 » by DaFan334 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:32 am

I am guessing he is in the same quarantine hell that I was, where he feels completely normal but has to avoid everyone because of being contagious. It's not fun, but glad to see he probably won't have any setbacks physically and I would imagine will be back early next week after 10 days from his positive test.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#291 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:41 pm

Almost feels like MPJ got double-whammied, 17-20 days seems like he was made an example of. Heck, Kyrie was caught w/o a mask at his sister's party and he'll be back sooner. To be fair, MPJ did have a positive COVID test result but still seems like a LONG time. In the end though, have to put this on MPJ
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#292 » by THE J0KER » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:09 pm

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/01/16/nuggets-michael-porter-jr-michael-malone-covid/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
The big news is that MPJ potentially can be back next Friday, but rest of the article is pathetic.

Author is from Denver and close with Nuggets organization, so it seems Malone once again planning to send Porter to bench and use him as scapegoat for team's bad defense. That not killed us in playoff because Murray played like HoF and Porter's place in starting linuap takes two-way Grant, a TOP50 player in league. Now not using Porter in full capacity will be just dumb and wrong.
skywalker33

Post#293 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:59 pm

THE J0KER wrote:https://www.denverpost.com/2021/01/16/nuggets-michael-porter-jr-michael-malone-covid/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
The big news is that MPJ potentially can be back next Friday, but rest of the article is pathetic.

Author is from Denver and close with Nuggets organization, so it seems Malone once again planning to send Porter to bench and use him as scapegoat for team's bad defense. That not killed us in playoff because Murray played like HoF and Porter's place in starting linuap takes two-way Grant, a TOP50 player in league. Now not using Porter in full capacity will be just dumb and wrong.

Do you know what the term scapegoat refers to ?? It refers to "blame" attributed to someone for their efforts (or lack thereof). How can you see that MPJ is going to be blamed when he hasn't played the game ?? Sounds more like YOU are ready to scapegoat MPJ

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#294 » by THE J0KER » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:42 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:https://www.denverpost.com/2021/01/16/nuggets-michael-porter-jr-michael-malone-covid/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Do you know what the term scapegoat refers to ?? It refers to "blame" attributed to someone for their efforts (or lack thereof). How can you see that MPJ is going to be blamed when he hasn't played the game ?? Sounds more like YOU are ready to scapegoat MPJ

If you read the linked article, you would notice how the author tried to explain how the defense was so bad in the first 4 games, but not bad lately mostly thanks to Barton. These numbers are correct, but it is wrong to blame MPJ for that, the whole team played bad defense and the bench was useless thanks to Malone forced 4-guard strategy at the time. That is why I called this article a pathetic try to make of Porter scapegoat of bad 1-3 start despite he was actually clearly Nuggets 2nd best player overall in these 4 games. The same guy who claimed a few weeks ago that Porter is part of the Nuggets' new BIG3 now questioning if Nuggets needs him at all in the starting lineup now when everything is perfect!? BTW nothing is perfect for Nuggets after MPJ was off because the late 5-3 record includes 2 wins vs Minnesota without KAT and a win vs Sixers 3rd unit with only one win vs playoff level opponent (GSW). We need MPJ not just as a starter but as part of a new BIG3 scheme.

Everyone has the right to have their own opinion but I'm very concerned because this author is very well connected with the Nuggets, so maybe this is not a real analysis but more preparation for Nuggets fans about something which will happen next week. I hope I'm wrong and I'm panicking without reason, but I'm already tired from Malone's wrong rotation experiments. I will repeat here from another thread scandalous fact from last season that Malone tried lineup which before the start of the season everyone has biggest expectations just for TWO MINUTES overall! Yes, Murray-Beasley-Grant-Porter-Jokic played overall just 2 minutes together last season, so of course, the front office has the wrong picture about the Nuggets' roster priorities.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#295 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:59 am

"Scape goat": an interesting term when discussing the Nuggets. Malone likes to blame players and/or the team. Fans love to blame players and/or the team and/or the coach. Our most common scape goats IMO:

Malone & his rotations
Millsap's decline
Green's conditioning
Porter's defense
Barton's defense & ISO play
Harris' shooting
Murray's shooting

Sounds like our team is full of people who aren't perfect :laugh: imagine that :peace:
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#296 » by The Rebel » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:03 pm

Call me crazy but I still believe that Malone never wanted to start MPJ this season, even heading into the season he was talking like Barton was going to be the starter only to have it change between the last preseason game and the 1st game of the season. Which tells me the front office told him he had to start MPJ, so of course he will find and excuse to not start him.

That being said I am not that worried about it right now, more importantly our bench needs a scorer, whether that is Barton or MPJ we need 1 of them to actually score when Jokic and Murray are on the bench.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#297 » by THE J0KER » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:25 pm

The Rebel wrote:Call me crazy but I still believe that Malone never wanted to start MPJ this season, even heading into the season he was talking like Barton was going to be the starter only to have it change between the last preseason game and the 1st game of the season. Which tells me the front office told him he had to start MPJ, so of course he will find and excuse to not start him.

That being said I am not that worried about it right now, more importantly our bench needs a scorer, whether that is Barton or MPJ we need 1 of them to actually score when Jokic and Murray are on the bench.
In the first 3 games of the season Malone limited Porter playing time to under 25 minutes despite being our best player after Jokic. Technically he played 29 minutes in game#1 but only thanks to the extra 5 minutes from overtime. Only in his last, 4th game, Porter played unrestricted playing time, and he played 40 minutes without a problem, which says his previous time reduction has nothing with medical reasons but is only Malone's decisions. Also, in postgame interviews Malone twice (out of four games) criticized Porter by name but never others more *problematic* starters Barton, Harris nor Millsap (out of 13 games).

I'm pretty sure that 29 out of 29 all other NBA coaches would have zero dilemmas between Porter and Barton... but not Malone.
skywalker33

Post#298 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:43 pm

He should be back Friday, nice way to start a road trip, MPJ should have fresh legs,

skywalker33

Post#299 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:58 pm

TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#300 » by TunaFish » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:17 am

I going to have to agree with this for the most part, certainly about MPJ. Garry Harris is my only issue because as I watch him, I see a player with defensive instincts that are well above average. Size is the problem with Harris especially against top small forwards.

I completely agree that MPJ has the most potential to reach top 5 NBA player status but he will have to work for it.
Canned in Denver.

Return to Denver Nuggets