ImageImageImageImage

Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#921 » by basketballRob » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:07 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:Not an alpha dog.

your dog Oubre is chivava :oops:
barks but can't bite
The reason i wanted to trade for the Oubre last season was to try and get the 10 pick. Oubre is an expiring contract.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#922 » by fendilim » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:10 pm

basketballRob wrote:
drsd wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Cole wasn't my first choice, but i think he's a way better shooter than he's shown.

When Fournier returns, we can see how Anthony evolves when he is freed up for more open looks (because Fournier is on the court).

I guess this is the rotation moving forward:

Anthony/Carter-Williams/Bone
Fourier/Ross/Mané
Bacon/Ennis
Gordon/Okeke/Clark
Vučević/Birch/Bamba
Fournier may not even play much this year. I think he's looking to preserve himself for a contract next year.

lol preserve? no one would give him a good deal if he was injury riddled. Sure he would want to play to get good stats as well
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#923 » by basketballRob » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:24 pm

fendilim wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
drsd wrote:
When Fournier returns, we can see how Anthony evolves when he is freed up for more open looks (because Fournier is on the court).

I guess this is the rotation moving forward:

Anthony/Carter-Williams/Bone
Fourier/Ross/Mané
Bacon/Ennis
Gordon/Okeke/Clark
Vučević/Birch/Bamba
Fournier may not even play much this year. I think he's looking to preserve himself for a contract next year.

lol preserve? no one would give him a good deal if he was injury riddled. Sure he would want to play to get good stats as well
He'll probably play the last 15 games and with fresher legs than everyone else, look like an allstar. Same way Jeremy Lin did in the strike shortened year when they were playing every other night.

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#924 » by Skin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:27 am

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:Not an alpha dog.

your dog Oubre is chivava :oops:
barks but can't bite

I never said Oubre was an alpha dog... just a dawg. He plays with a fierce attitude.

Bad start with GS but he's warming up as he gets adjusted.

Sounds like an extreme overpay to have given up 15 for him but I'd take him over Cole in a heartbeat. Probably could've gotten more than just Oubre for 15. Teams always overrate the value of picks.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#925 » by basketballRob » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:56 am

Cole will shoot better after these days off.

PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,372

Post#926 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:16 am

The thing with an alpha dog mentality is it really only matters if the player is actually good at scoring. There are a lot of players who came into the league with that mindset only to chuck their way out of it just as fast.

That’s what I worry about with Cole. He has the mentality and seemingly the work ethic to pair with it, but he’s just not a good scorer at this stage and with his limitations and inability to consistently create good looks for himself, I’m not sure I ever see him becoming one.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,272

Post#927 » by pepe1991 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:54 am

basketballRob wrote:
fendilim wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Fournier may not even play much this year. I think he's looking to preserve himself for a contract next year.

He'll probably play the last 15 games and with fresher legs than everyone else, look like an allstar. Same way Jeremy Lin did in the strike shortened year when they were playing every other night.

You also probably belive in flat earth...right?
Evan isn't even being ruled out for long time, on monday he was questionable but didn't play. It's matter of time when he returns, maybe next game.
And btw Jeremy Lin and Linesnity started in mid season, February. but as usual, who needs facts when you can live on flat earth.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,006

Post#928 » by KillMonger » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:26 pm

It's clear to see these last couple performances indicate he's getting better, it's baby steps but at least it's in the right direction....It's refreshing to have a player who has a bit of dog in him, cole isn't going to take a possession off and isn't afraid to dive on the floor if need be and i may be wrong but i think he's leading the team in charges taken as well.....it's hard to root against a player like cole who puts it all on the line like him....he's doing all the little things, the game has to slow down for him and when it does i think the numbers will get better
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#929 » by basketballRob » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:40 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
fendilim wrote:lol preserve? no one would give him a good deal if he was injury riddled. Sure he would want to play to get good stats as well

Evan isn't even being ruled out for long time, on monday he was questionable but didn't play. It's matter of time when he returns, maybe next game.
And btw Jeremy Lin and Linesnity started in mid season, February. but as usual, who needs facts when you can live on flat earth.
Yes Lin came in with fresh legs in a strike shortened season, where the games were compacted, like now. I'm saying Fournier will likely look better than he is because of fresh legs.

pepe1991
RealGM

Post#930 » by pepe1991 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:58 pm

basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:He'll probably play the last 15 games and with fresher legs than everyone else, look like an allstar. Same way Jeremy Lin did in the strike shortened year when they were playing every other night.

Yes Lin came in with fresh legs in a strike shortened season, where the games were compacted, like now. I'm saying Fournier will likely look better than he is because of fresh legs.

February was't end of a season. Linsanity happend in middle of one.
I've said, your new gimmick is rest. Fine by me. But nba teams are resting players for decades now. You didn't discover wheel.
Most players that come off injury that is not lower body related have fresher legs. Why don't you use same logic for Bamba and Evan or any other player? Evan at least is hurt, Bamba just can't shove his head from his A hole for 8 months, without any injury.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#931 » by basketballRob » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:17 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

February was't end of a season. Linsanity happend in middle of one.
I've said, your new gimmick is rest. Fine by me. But nba teams are resting players for decades now. You didn't discover wheel.
Most players that come off injury that is not lower body related have fresher legs. Why don't you use same logic for Bamba and Evan or any other player? Evan at least is hurt, Bamba just can't shove his head from his A hole for 8 months, without any injury.
Evan's feelings are hurt, because we don't want him after this season.

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#932 » by fendilim » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:55 am

basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:He'll probably play the last 15 games and with fresher legs than everyone else, look like an allstar. Same way Jeremy Lin did in the strike shortened year when they were playing every other night.

lol thats stupid to compare Lin and Evan.

If Evan played only last part of the season, he’ll be tagged as injury prone or damaged goods.

Lin is a different case, he only had the opportunity midseason and didnt preserve himself but balled every opportunity he got.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#933 » by pepe1991 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:06 pm

fendilim wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

lol thats stupid to compare Lin and Evan.

If Evan played only last part of the season, he’ll be tagged as injury prone or damaged goods.

Lin is a different case, he only had the opportunity midseason and didnt preserve himself but balled every opportunity he got.

Not just that, in second game of a season, he scored 21 points grabbed 10 rebounds and dished 7 assists.
Later, just month and half into season LInesnity happend, he scored 38 points.

So ofc, Rob is wrong and his attemp to discredit Lin is fabricated lie based on being poorly informed ( or spreading false informations on purpose? i don't know... ) .

Anyway, Evan is not "hiding" , given how roster is built, he probably can't wait to go back and take 25 shots a game and inflate that statline to close to 20 ppg.
mrtcsm
Rookie
And1: 105

Post#934 » by mrtcsm » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:17 pm

Cole is just not good at scoring. At least not yet. Seems like he lacks “the touch”. A lot of his misses go in and out. Hope eventually with more confidence his shots will start going in as he also learns to get better shots. At least he is helping us get into the loto
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#935 » by zaymon » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:16 pm

mrtcsm wrote:Cole is just not good at scoring. At least not yet. Seems like he lacks “the touch”. A lot of his misses go in and out. Hope eventually with more confidence his shots will start going in as he also learns to get better shots. At least he is helping us get into the loto

Its a weird thing with him, becouse he is actually quite good finishing around the rim. His efficiency is hurt by those runners/floaters. I have no idea why he takes those. Not a great shot and he is clearly not good with them. I predict he will attack the rim more with his atletecism. He was always a very good shooter, even in college. I believe his percentages will go up eventually.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#936 » by pepe1991 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:29 pm

zaymon wrote:
mrtcsm wrote:Cole is just not good at scoring. At least not yet. Seems like he lacks “the touch”. A lot of his misses go in and out. Hope eventually with more confidence his shots will start going in as he also learns to get better shots. At least he is helping us get into the loto

Its a weird thing with him, becouse he is actually quite good finishing around the rim. His efficiency is hurt by those runners/floaters. I have no idea why he takes those. Not a great shot and he is clearly not good with them. I predict he will attack the rim more with his atletecism. He was always a very good shooter, even in college. I believe his percentages will go up eventually.

Ugh

His efficiency is hurt by those runners/floaters.

No, his efficiency is hurt because he has no jumpshot. He shoots 4/22 ( 18% ) from wide open 3s. Nobody can help him if he can't make wide open shot.

I have no idea why he takes those.

Because once he is inside pick&roll action, he is very limited passer and looks for his shots first. Just does not have required BBIQ to figure he can't make them. Story of his post highschool career.

I predict he will attack the rim more with his atletecism.

I didn't see any of it. Took him 11 games to make first dunk. However he is being cought flat footed on defense every game. Not many players Jeff Teague can take off dribble that easly nowdays, Cole is still one of them.
He is too weak, has very little body control, there is no way he will be good at attacking rim any time soon.
He also has t-rex arms so any hope of some acrobatic layups isn't there. He only took 13% of all shots inside 3 feet. We talk about 16-19 shots so far. At college he averaged 0,19 dunks per game and was just beyond terrible shooter around rim. As you can see, him being athletic in open gym had no translation to him being rim attacker even at college. Hint: 2 legs vertical isn't most useful thing for non-center in basketball.

He was always a very good shooter, even in college.

Not really. His efficiency at college was dreadful. He shot 35% for 3 at college and 38% for 3 in EYBL. That's mid range game for nba.

Overall he is what he is. He was ultimate - free-fall stock player that serious, smart teams would not touch. He is very simall shooting guard who isn't very gifted nor creative shooter nor scorer. He is great FT shooter as probably direct result of being son of former pro basketball player from 90s so you know he was shooting those FTs whole his life as it was part of 90s basketball drill.

Other than that that there is not much to say or add. Probably should have been mid 20s, first round, or early second round pick.
Weltman pretty much flushed down the toilet another pick. Bamba, Iwundu,Frazier, Okeke, Jackson, Cole Anthony...
In 5 years he menaged to draft 1 role player that has any purpose in modern basketball. Epic.. Just epic. How him and that Bucks former GM clown still have a job is beyond me.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,312

Post#937 » by Knightro » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:36 pm

zaymon wrote:Its a weird thing with him, becouse he is actually quite good finishing around the rim. His efficiency is hurt by those runners/floaters. I have no idea why he takes those. Not a great shot and he is clearly not good with them. I predict he will attack the rim more with his atletecism. He was always a very good shooter, even in college. I believe his percentages will go up eventually.

This.

Cole is shooting .684 at the rim and .255 from 3-10 feet.

The problem is only 13.2% of his total shots come at the rim, while 32.6% of his total shots come from 3-10 feet.

One of two things needs to happen.

1. He has to figure out how a way to either get all the way to rim when he drives or be more willing to pull up for a short midrange jumper (.500 on 10-16 foot jumpers).

2. He has to figure out how to start consistently making those floaters and runners if he's going to insist on having them as part of his offensive arsenal.

I'm not convinced either one can be completely solved during the season, but No. 1 certainly seems more likely than No. 2.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,991

Post#939 » by p0peye » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:19 pm

It's too early to say how he's going to improve, but pepe has a point on several issues so far with Cole. It's an uphill battle for him unless he starts hitting open and wide open shots and cuts down floaters. There's still not enough data to declare him a dreadful (as it appears for jumpers) or very good (as it might seem on under the rim shots), but all together is a cause for concern. Playing against starters is not going to give him any favors.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#940 » by MoMM » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:27 pm

Except for in-game shooting, he is doing good in everything else. I expect that at some point he will click the shooting part.

Return to Orlando Magic