Nets Were Unsuccessful Trying To Trade Landry Shamet For First Round Pick

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Nets Were Unsuccessful Trying To Trade Landry Shamet For First Round Pick 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:33 am

The Brooklyn Nets tried to acquire a first round pick for Landry Shamet as part of the James Harden trade in order to keep Jarrett Allen, but were unsuccessful. The Houston Rockets preferred a future first round pick originating from the Milwaukee Bucks via the Cleveland Cavaliers instead of trading for Allen.

The Nets will be limited in how they can upgrade their roster based on their limited asset base beyond Harden, Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving and Joe Harris.

"I don't know what sort of trade value they have left on their roster," said Brian Windhorst on his podcast. "I talked to two different teams that the Nets offered Landry Shamet to in the last week, attempting to get a first round pick. They were trying to keep Jarrett Allen, as you can imagine. To get the fourth first round pick, they were trying to find a team that would give them anything. And so they shopped Landry Shamet pretty hard from what I understand.

"I mean I talked to two teams that just mentioned it in passing. I didn't do an entire sweep of the league. My guess is they offered him to numerous teams trying to get that first round pick. Maybe Landry gets hot playing alongside all of these stars. If that's a guy they deem movable, you know, maybe that changes. I just don't see a lot of assets on the roster. And of course they have no first round picks they can trade."

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,749

Re: Nets Were Unsuccessful Trying To Trade Landry Shamet For First Round Pick 

Post#2 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:10 am

He is worth a pick somewhere in the 1st round pick in terms of ability but not in salary, as he is 2 years into his rookie contract. He's also off to a slow start this year which doesn't help.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#3 » by IWishIWasHarden » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:32 am

What do you mean instead of trading for Allen? They did trade for Allen.

And how does that tie into the rest of your story? I can hardly ever understand what you try to say.

Start showing who your authors are so people can be held accountable.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#4 » by grindtime22 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:52 am

IWishIWasHarden wrote:What do you mean instead of trading for Allen? They did trade for Allen.

And how does that tie into the rest of your story? I can hardly ever understand what you try to say.

The Rockets preferred a late 1st round pick over Allen as we saw with the trade. They sent him to Cleveland, instead of just taking him in Houston. Therefore, the Rockets obviously just preferred acquiring a late 1st round pick instead of acquiring Allen. So, the Nets didn't necessarily have to trade Allen. They just had to get another 1st round pick to the Rockets. It didn't even have to be a good 1st round pick, just a late 1st rounder. So they tried to trade Shamet to anybody and everybody for a 1st round pick. That pick would have then been sent to the Rockets. If that would have happened, Allen would still be on the Nets roster and Shamet would have been gone.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#5 » by alienpick » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:39 pm

"I don't know what sort of trade value they have left on their roster," said Brian Windhorst

Uh, Kyrie. You can trade him for depth. He isn't going to fit with Harden anyway. You don't need a butler/batgirl when you have Batman and Robin.
brooklynbrawler
Junior
And1: 350

Post#6 » by brooklynbrawler » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:11 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:What do you mean instead of trading for Allen? They did trade for Allen.

Allen was traded to the Cavs, not the Rockets
Please........... no more
niha17
Rookie
And1: 68

Post#7 » by niha17 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:02 pm

Nets have not tradable player to get a first round pick.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#8 » by MitchB3 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:32 am

They realize the stupid mistake they did and now want to get rewarded.

Return to Wiretap Discussion