ImageImageImage

Welcome Shake Milton

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#301 » by Kobblehead » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:41 pm

Milton was nowhere near as good when he was in college as he is right now. Who knows what his ceiling is, he keeps taking unexpected leaps.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,504

Post#302 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:03 pm

How long until he has to start? Do we just keep him coming off the bench? I think Doc is using him in the Lou role so to speak. Also, I've noticed that Doc has had some success with these type of guards. Both Jamal Crawford and Lou had arguably their best parts of their careers under him.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#303 » by agiaco » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:06 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:How long until he has to start? Do we just keep him coming off the bench? I think Doc is using him in the Lou role so to speak. Also, I've noticed that Doc has had some success with these type of guards. Both Jamal Crawford and Lou had arguably their best parts of their careers under him.

I mean as long as he keeps playing extended minutes I don't think it matters much right now.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#304 » by Kobblehead » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:17 pm

I'd make the switch now and continue to groom Maxey for the Williams role. We have to anticipate creation droughts in real games with our current starting lineup. We cannot have that. Milton has to be named a starter and given the keys to the offense.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,801

Post#305 » by Mik317 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:31 pm

I think the idea is to make sure that second lineup as some pop...especially since Doc likes to run an all bench unit. Curry or Green doesn't give that pop and works better off the starters.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#306 » by TTP » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:44 pm

Not starting Milton seems crazy. This guy has a chance to be our #1 offensive option for the foreseeable future.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 661

Post#307 » by Monix » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:46 pm

TTP wrote:Not starting Milton seems crazy. This guy has a chance to be our #1 offensive option for the foreseeable future.

did something happen to Embiid that I am not aware of?
TTP
Head Coach

Post#308 » by TTP » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:48 pm

Mik317 wrote:I think the idea is to make sure that second lineup as some pop...especially since Doc likes to run an all bench unit. Curry or Green doesn't give that pop and works better off the starters.

I don't understand this either. We won't be running an all bench unit in the playoffs when we're running a likely 8 man rotation. Might as well start integrating the starters and bench in the regular season and start building some continuity.

TTP
Head Coach

Post#309 » by TTP » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:58 pm

Monix wrote:
TTP wrote:Not starting Milton seems crazy. This guy has a chance to be our #1 offensive option for the foreseeable future.

did something happen to Embiid that I am not aware of?

I think Shake has a chance to be even more efficient offensively than Embiid. It also allows Embiid to save energy for defense and just to stay on the floor in general. You can still run plays through Embiid or dump the ball to him in the post after a play breaks down.

I'm also a little bearish on the effectiveness of giving the ball to Embiid with the game on the line in the playoffs against good defenses. Even moreso when the refs are likely to swallow their whistles.

davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#310 » by davesilver » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:11 pm

Mik317 wrote:I think the idea is to make sure that second lineup as some pop...especially since Doc likes to run an all bench unit. Curry or Green doesn't give that pop and works better off the starters.

I think Maxey running the 2nd unit has plenty of pop.

Shake - Danny - Tobias - Ben - Embiid is the starting unit I’m curious about.

Maxey - Curry - Thybulle - Scott - Dwight is definitely an interesting 2nd unit
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#311 » by agiaco » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:40 pm

davesilver wrote:

We really need to upgrade the backup 4.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,441

Post#312 » by Eyeamok » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:44 pm

Hopefully Shake can continue to improve. This way I can look forward to the day when I read an NBA article or post about redoing the 2018 NBA draft. Because you know someone is going to say "Boston and the Lakers were in talks with the Hornets to get the 55th pick but the 76ers grabbed Shake at #54 killing the deal".

Or Bryan Colangelo will come out with a statement saying Ainge wanted the #54th pick in the Fultz trade but I said absolutely not. :D

*76ciology you were right about BC all along.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#313 » by davesilver » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:47 pm

agiaco wrote:
davesilver wrote:

We really need to upgrade the backup 4.

No doubt.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,515

Post#314 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:23 pm

Enroll him at Drew Hanlen then buy a pair of ball hog gloves.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#315 » by Sixersftw » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:42 pm

76ciology wrote:Enroll him at Drew Hanlen then buy a pair of ball hog gloves.

It takes away your grip!
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,515

Post#316 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:49 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
76ciology wrote:Enroll him at Drew Hanlen then buy a pair of ball hog gloves.

It takes away your grip!

So the ball slips out of your hands, you’ll really be able to control the ball

God first
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 581

Post#317 » by blargh » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:13 pm

I’m sure Doc is going to give Seth a chance to take back his starting spot when he comes back: keep in mind, that group was really good, and Curry was almost as efficient as Shake has been. I do agree long term, the sooner we get him starting, the better.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,467

Post#318 » by youngcrev » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:34 pm

blargh wrote:I’m sure Doc is going to give Seth a chance to take back his starting spot when he comes back: keep in mind, that group was really good, and Curry was almost as efficient as Shake has been. I do agree long term, the sooner we get him starting, the better.

I imagine if Shake takes a starting spot, it's from Danny. That lineup has been killer for us in a very small sample size. It'll be interesting to see whether Doc prefers Shake to keep cooking in a higher usage role as 6th man rather than doing that, and then using that as his closing lineup.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 581

Post#319 » by blargh » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:48 pm

youngcrev wrote:
blargh wrote:I’m sure Doc is going to give Seth a chance to take back his starting spot when he comes back: keep in mind, that group was really good, and Curry was almost as efficient as Shake has been. I do agree long term, the sooner we get him starting, the better.

I imagine if Shake takes a starting spot, it's from Danny. That lineup has been killer for us in a very small sample size. It'll be interesting to see whether Doc prefers Shake to keep cooking in a higher usage role as 6th man rather than doing that, and then using that as his closing lineup.

The problem then is playmaking in the bench lineup: Maxey still needs some help there, which Curry could provide, but less so Green. You might see the Shake/Curry pairing in the playoffs though.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,467

Post#320 » by youngcrev » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:35 pm

blargh wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

The problem then is playmaking in the bench lineup: Maxey still needs some help there, which Curry could provide, but less so Green. You might see the Shake/Curry pairing in the playoffs though.

If that's the worry you keep Shake where he is. Curry's not giving you a ton in terms of playmaking if he's not playing off of Ben or Jo, so I don't think it would be wise to unpair him with those guys (plus he helps them out so much).

Return to Philadelphia 76ers