Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,501

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#501 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:48 pm

Prokorov wrote:
gigantes wrote:The point is-- multiple foundations have been laid down upon "Trump 2.0."

This is the concern, dude.

Yup... Trump was an open racist/white supremist

The next guy will be polished. tougher to spot. easier for the GOP to brush of claims as "conspiracies"

Image the damage trump could do if he was a smooth talking, handsome, well spoken president. he would get the same mob to support him and it would be tougher for opposition to oust him.

I agree, that is my fear as well. Someone who is smooth like Obama on the outside but an utter and complete fascist authoritarian.

This country can go one of two ways at this point. Either we crush white supremacist fascism, or we let it overrun the government and this country splits into pieces. I don't see the Republic lasting at this rate.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#502 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:46 pm

Trump Republicans are a breed you only imagine in video games and fantasy....

I pray tomorrow yields first steps to true unity and justice for America!
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#503 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:15 am

CalamityX12 wrote:Trump Republicans are a breed you only imagine in video games and fantasy....

I pray tomorrow yields first steps to true unity and justice for America!

it wont. you cant unite hunters and prey. The fox is never going to agree not to eat the hens and the hens are never going to stop fearing and fighting for its life.

The idea that any amount of political victories is going to unite America is a misguided pipe dream. There is no uniting. there is only achieving power long enough to root out the evil. hold majority long enough to undo regulations/laws/bills. put in enough judges and remove the racist/white supremist judges. hold power and influence long enough to remove the KKK from police forces. hold the presidency and majority long enough to get majority back on the supreme court.

thats like at LEAST 3 straight terms with the white house and at least the house of reps. if not the senate as well. and even then, like me and MDB were discussing, alot of these white supremists are brilliant and smooth. they arent as obvious as trump. and they have endless resources. it wont be easy to root them out and when you do they are breeding and recruiting

unity, today, is a farce. its the facade you get so white housewives can go back to living in their entitle bubble
Curns13
Pro Prospect
And1: 267

Post#504 » by Curns13 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:28 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
gigantes wrote:The point is-- multiple foundations have been laid down upon "Trump 2.0."

This is the concern, dude.

The next guy will be polished. tougher to spot. easier for the GOP to brush of claims as "conspiracies"

Image the damage trump could do if he was a smooth talking, handsome, well spoken president. he would get the same mob to support him and it would be tougher for opposition to oust him.

I agree, that is my fear as well. Someone who is smooth like Obama on the outside but an utter and complete fascist authoritarian.

This country can go one of two ways at this point. Either we crush white supremacist fascism, or we let it overrun the government and this country splits into pieces. I don't see the Republic lasting at this rate.

As an Aussie, I don’t know enough about individual politicians, but doesn’t Hawley fit that bill? He’s handsome and young and from what I can tell an absolute RWNJ sociopath.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#505 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:34 pm

Curns13 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

As an Aussie, I don’t know enough about individual politicians, but doesn’t Hawley fit that bill? He’s handsome and young and from what I can tell an absolute RWNJ sociopath.

Hawley is a c_nt but he isn't the type of mega personality that Trump is. That plays a huge part into all of this, Trump is basically a con man cult leader. Right now, I don't see anyone in the current GOP that can carry that torch.

Curns13
Pro Prospect
And1: 267

Post#506 » by Curns13 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:21 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Curns13 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Hawley is a c_nt but he isn't the type of mega personality that Trump is. That plays a huge part into all of this, Trump is basically a con man cult leader. Right now, I don't see anyone in the current GOP that can carry that torch.

Well thank **** god for that.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#507 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:26 am

GREAT discussion led by our Nets organization, if you have an hour to devote. This is not a moment, it's the movement.

Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Post#508 » by Whiskey Slick » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:26 pm

I just dropped a long post in the "Welcome Home, Kyrie" thread, it's there if anyone wants to see it, so I'll try to keep this one short and to the point. It seems to me Kyrie prioritized Social Justice over the one thing in life he loved to do, play basketball, and he became so good at it that it made him wealthy beyond his wildest dreams.

Rumors also have it that his fiancé stopped following him on IG, which indicates trouble and perhaps a breakup, which most of us know can be a LIVING HELL if he was in-love and she's the one who left him. Doesn't matter that he's rich and famous and can get a million beautiful girls. There is nothing that can suck the life out of you like unrequited love. Like I said, most of us have been there so we can identify.

That said, if Kyrie placed Social Justice over his job, and not just any normal job, but a job that pays him close to 35M dollars per year, there's a good chance his fiancé felt like she was taking a backseat to his SJ endeavors too.

This is not to imply he can't or shouldn't be involved with SJ issues if that's where his heart is. Like buying George Floyd's family a house was a true act of kindness towards a family that is hurting. But you can't place SJ above your primary responsibilities as an individual, like your job (the one that put you in a position to buy people houses) and your fiancé. Do it in your spare time, but keep your priorities in order.

If you don't do that you're gonna lose the people and things you love, then you'll really know misery.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#509 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:34 pm

Whiskey Slick wrote:I just dropped a long post in the "Welcome Home, Kyrie" thread, it's there if anyone wants to see it, so I'll try to keep this one short and to the point. It seems to me Kyrie prioritized Social Justice over the one thing in life he loved to do, play basketball, and he became so good at it that it made him wealthy beyond his wildest dreams.

Rumors also have it that his fiancé stopped following him on IG, which indicates trouble and perhaps a breakup, which most of us know can be a LIVING HELL if he was in-love and she's the one who left him. Doesn't matter that he's rich and famous and can get a million beautiful girls. There is nothing that can suck the life out of you like unrequited love. Like I said, most of us have been there so we can identify.

That said, if Kyrie placed Social Justice over his job, and not just any normal job, but a job that pays him close to 35M dollars per year, there's a good chance his fiancé felt like she was taking a backseat to his SJ endeavors too.

This is not to imply he can't or shouldn't be involved with SJ issues if that's where his heart is. Like buying George Floyd's family a house was a true act of kindness towards a family that is hurting. But you can't place SJ above your primary responsibilities as an individual, like your job (the one that put you in a position to buy people houses) and your fiancé. Do it in your spare time, but keep your priorities in order.

If you don't do that you're gonna lose the people and things you love, then you'll really know misery.

I think you can.... there are sacrafices, but some things are bigger then that. its still gonna hurt, but as someone with a kid, trying to make the world a better place for them is quite a calling
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#510 » by Whiskey Slick » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:45 pm

Prokorov wrote:
I think you can.... there are sacrafices, but some things are bigger then that. its still gonna hurt, but as someone with a kid, trying to make the world a better place for them is quite a calling

Yeah but first you have to make sure your child is fed, right?

Then you have to make sure, if it's an infant, that he or she is cleaned up and changed when duty calls. If it's more of a teenager, then you have to make sure you have those deep conversations a parent has with a child to keep them out of trouble and away from dangerous places etc.

IOW's your "first priorities" are as a parent and your SJ endeavors come second, right?

If not, don't be surprised if something bad happens with your child because he or she was neglected for something you deemed more important. I know that sounds harsh and I don't mean it to be. Just keeping it real. An infant requires a tremendous amount of love, affection and attention, whereas a teen requires a tremendous amount of wise direction. I was a teen once myself. The temptations of the streets are overwhelming!
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#511 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:51 pm

Whiskey Slick wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Yeah but first you have to make sure your child is fed, right?

Then you have to make sure, if it's an infant, that he or she is cleaned up and changed when duty calls. If it's more of a teenager, then you have to make sure you have those deep conversations a parent has with a child to keep them out of trouble and away from dangerous places etc.

IOW's you "first priorities" are as a parent and your SJ endeavors come second, right?

If not, don't be surprised if something bad happens with your child because he or she was neglected for something you deemed more important. I know that sounds harsh and I don't mean it to be. Just keeping it real. An infant requires a tremendous amount of love, affection and attention, whereas a teen requires a tremendous amount of wise direction. I was a teen once myself. The temptations of the streets are overwhelming!

I mean, you also need to make sure your child isnt shot in the face by the cops. to me its not one or the other. fighitng the justice systems is as important as feeding my child. if not checked both will end up killing them
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#512 » by Whiskey Slick » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:03 pm

Prokorov wrote:
I mean, you also need to make sure your child isnt shot in the face by the cops. to me its not one or the other. fighitng the justice systems is as important as feeding my child. if not checked both will end up killing them

If he or she is living right and doing the right things, staying clear of drugs, crime and the temptations of the streets (and I'm someone who DID NOT avoid those temptations, so I have the right to talk that way), do you really believe the greater threat to him or her is getting shot in the face by a cop? C'mon now, I was raised in the ghetto, the worst part of NYC back when it was a shooting gallery, when most people wouldn't leave their apartments after dark, when every door had a pole-lock too and every window was gated, when people from outside the neighborhood avoided it like the plague, especially after dark, and GET THIS, when the cops literally had a license to cuff you and beat you unrecognizable (like they did to my brother), then take you home and your parents were actually grateful they beat you up instead of arrested you. IOW's I lived thru a way worse time than this, especially when it came to the cops, and EVEN THEN all those other things I mentioned were way more important, and less likely to get your kid arrested or shot (more by another gangsta than a cop) than it is now. And again, I grew up when cops basically had a license to shoot you if they felt like it.

I understand if people want to engage in SJ, but there's no way it's more important than raising your kids right.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#513 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:06 pm

Whiskey Slick wrote:I just dropped a long post in the "Welcome Home, Kyrie" thread, it's there if anyone wants to see it, so I'll try to keep this one short and to the point. It seems to me Kyrie prioritized Social Justice over the one thing in life he loved to do, play basketball, and he became so good at it that it made him wealthy beyond his wildest dreams.

It's a lot of speculation right now....I wouldn't take any of this as fact to be honest. We just don't know what he's dealing with.

Supposedly Kyrie has a child with his ex fiancee and if she has cut off contact and access to the child, that can be a devastating thing to happen to someone.

Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#514 » by Whiskey Slick » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:16 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
It's a lot of speculation right now....I wouldn't take any of this as fact to be honest. We just don't know what he's dealing with.

Supposedly Kyrie has a child with his ex fiancee and if she has cut off contact and access to the child, that can be a devastating thing to happen to someone.

That's another nightmare a lot of men have to deal with, and nobody cares. There is no "mens rights movement" to speak of, and even if there is, nobody pays it any mind, especially not the media. My own cousin who is currently staying with me has the same problem. His ex won't let him see his own kids and she has them so convinced he's a POS who doesn't want to see them anyway that they don't want to see him. They don't even call him to wish him a happy birthday, meantime he always tries to get in-touch with them, send them gifts for their birthdays, and they don't even return his calls. He has to see a therapist and a psychiatrist over it, and again, nobody cares. Even the courts won't give him a fair hearing.
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#515 » by Whiskey Slick » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:25 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

Kristi Noem (Gov. North Dakota) will be the next GOP nominee. Her or Ron DeSantis, Gov. of Florida. That might even be the ticket in the reverse and I can already hear the critics because everything is so polarized. I don't care if you like them or not. Democrat or Republican. I'm just predicting the next GOP ticket.

It WON'T come from the Senate. The Congress polls lower than sewer rats.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#516 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:37 pm

Whiskey Slick wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Kristi Noem (Gov. North Dakota) will be the next GOP nominee. Her or Ron DeSantis, Gov. of Florida. That might even be the ticket in the reverse and I can already hear the critics because everything is so polarized. I don't care if you like them or not. Democrat or Republican. I'm just predicting the next GOP ticket.

It WON'T come from the Senate. The Congress polls lower than sewer rats.

Noem is a nutcase so I can see her picking up traction. However, the firmly entrenched misogyny that pervades the GOP/Far right voter bloc most likely will kneecap her.

It won't shock me that within the next 4 years time the GOP gets split between the QAnon/Trump cult and Establishment Republicans. The trajectory that they are on isn't sustainable. Guys like Mitt Romney, McConnell, etc were not amused at nearly being killed by those nutters. Something will have to give.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#517 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:39 pm

Whiskey Slick wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

That's another nightmare a lot of men have to deal with, and nobody cares. There is no "mens rights movement" to speak of, and even if there is, nobody pays it any mind, especially not the media. My own cousin who is currently staying with me has the same problem. His ex won't let him see his own kids and she has them so convinced he's a POS who doesn't want to see them anyway that they don't want to see him. They don't even call him to wish him a happy birthday, meantime he always tries to get in-touch with them, send them gifts for their birthdays, and they don't even return his calls. He has to see a therapist and a psychiatrist over it, and again, nobody cares. Even the courts won't give him a fair hearing.

That's horrific. I know stories like this all to well, I have friends who have had their children weaponized against them as well.

People don't realize how badly poorly choosing a partner can destroy your life.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#518 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:56 pm

Whiskey Slick wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

If he or she is living right and doing the right things, staying clear of drugs, crime and the temptations of the streets (and I'm someone who DID NOT avoid those temptations, so I have the right to talk that way), do you really believe the greater threat to him or her is getting shot in the face by a cop?

Depends which kid. my biological daughter is white. so she is probably ok. (from cops, rape is another thing just as bad, white people can rape women and its basically just ok or even worse the woman had it coming) But we adopoted a mixed race son, who the world equates to as black since his skin is darker and he will be treated as a black man. and let me put it this way... i can put him in the best neighborhood and provide himw ith all the safety i can.... but he is still black to every single cop that drives by him... in fact, what ive learned is he may be even less safe where we live then the type of neighborhood you grew up in, because he "looks suspicious"

if i never gave him another grain of food, he would find a way to eat im sure. But if i dont fight every day to fix the justice system stuff, he has liek a coinflip chance of not facing violence in some form by it.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,751

Post#519 » by Rich Rane » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:25 pm

Had to take some time off from the board as a relative contracted COVID and had to be hospitalized. Although she lost her husband, she's physically doing a lot better. The Inauguration helped her along with a lot of the liberals, moderates, and Never-Trumpers of my family, mentally.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#520 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:55 pm

Rich Rane wrote:Had to take some time off from the board as a relative contracted COVID and had to be hospitalized. Although she lost her husband, she's physically doing a lot better. The Inauguration helped her along with a lot of the liberals, moderates, and Never-Trumpers of my family, mentally.

I am sorry for your loss Rich. This **** is horrific. :nonono:

Return to Brooklyn Nets