NBA Draft - 2021 Draft Prospects

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,242

NBA Draft - 2021 Draft Prospects 

Post#1 » by Catchall » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:18 am

I think it's time to start getting a read on the next draft. There are a number of interesting guards and wings that would fit well for the Jazz.

Lets get a sticky, pls.

I'll get started with two positions the Jazz should be looking at--1) a long-term guard to play next to Mitchell in the backcourt, and 2) a versatile 2-way wing with some size and ability to be a secondary initiator.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Re: NBA Draft - 2021 Draft Prospects 

Post#2 » by Catchall » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:41 am

There are a couple guards I see who have the ability to play either on the ball or off the ball next to Mitchell. One is David Johnson from Louisville. He lists at 6'5" and 210 lbs, which is enough size for him to push himself into the lane where he can make plays for himself and others. He's not super athletic, but is skilled enough to play position defense and beat defenders off the dribble.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#3 » by Catchall » Fri Jan 1, 2021 1:12 am

Terrence Shannon is a 6'6", 210-lb athletic wing from Texas Tech with two-way upside. He may rise above the Jazz's draft range, but he has starter potential. Currently averaging 14 pts and 4.4 rebs., shooting 36% from 3pt, as a sophomore.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#4 » by Catchall » Fri Jan 1, 2021 1:21 am

Marcus Bagley (Marvin Bagley's younger brother) is a 6'8", 215-lb smooth, athletic wing at Arizona State. I think he's a bit underrated so far. He's putting up 13/6/1 as a freshman. He has an easy jumper with NBA range and is hitting 40% of his 3s through his first four games. He moves so effortlessly, he just looks like an NBA player. Think Cam Reddish.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#5 » by Catchall » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:49 am

Franz Wagner is a 6'9", 220-lb soph at Michigan. He's Mo Wagner's younger brother. He shows pretty good mobility, shooting touch, IQ and passing ability for a big wing/forward. I don't know if he's really someone you can initiate through or not. He may be more of a spot-up guy who can put the ball down and make a play going to the rim. He's not super bouncy, but is a decent enough athlete, I think. Reminds me a little bit of a spry Dario Saric.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,263

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:15 am

I'm all in on Keyontae Johnson. I know he had the collapse, but as long as that is resolvable he's a lottery prospect.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#7 » by Catchall » Fri Jan 1, 2021 8:33 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I'm all in on Keyontae Johnson. I know he had the collapse, but as long as that is resolvable he's a lottery prospect.

I like him too and thought he'd be a good pick for the Jazz in the 1st round last season before he withdrew. It's not clear right now if he'll ever play again. Otherwise, he's exactly the kind of player the Jazz need. He's like a smaller version of Jimmy Butler.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#8 » by Catchall » Sat Jan 2, 2021 1:25 am

Vrens Bleijenbergh is a young, 6'10" wing from Belgium who is draft-eligible in 2021. He's physically underdeveloped at around 180 lbs right now, but he shows an ability to handle and create shots for himself and others, including creating in pick-and-roll. An interesting prospect, though probably a couple years away from making a significant contribution.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#9 » by Catchall » Sat Jan 2, 2021 1:47 am

Josh Christopher is a 6'5" / 215-lb freshman 2-guard at ASU. He was a top-10 RSCI recruit. He's been pretty solid across the board so far, with the exception of his 3pt shot, which hasn't been falling for him yet.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#10 » by Catchall » Sat Jan 2, 2021 1:58 am

Scottie Lewis is having a good sophomore season for Florida. He's a super-athletic 6'5, 185-lb, two-way 2-guard who can likely guard up and down a position. He's making his 3s at a very high rate so far and getting to the line for nearly 6 attempts per game.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#11 » by Catchall » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:16 pm

I might be in on Romeo Weems -- 6'7" / 215-lbs, athletic scorer at DePaul. Has deep range, handle and the ability to make plays off the dribble. He also plays defense at least some of the time. He should be high on our list. I think what we're trying to do is upgrade the Georges Niang position with a starter-level player to turn that weakness into a strength. This would put both Royce and Joe in our 2nd unit.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#12 » by Catchall » Sat Jan 2, 2021 9:17 pm

The Jazz have the Warriors' 2nd-round pick this year, which could be in the top 5 of the 2nd round. The Jazz could come away with two quality players in this deep draft. Picture Kai Jones + Scottie Lewis.

The Jazz could also possibly package their picks -- e.g., #25 + #34 and move up for a top-20 player.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#13 » by Catchall » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:30 am

Two guys I like for the Jazz who could slip into the 20s: Marcus Bagley and Kai Jones. Marcus Bagley could be comparable to Cam Reddish. Kai Jones could be what people were hoping Marquese Chriss would be when he was drafted in the lottery.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
cashmachine
Sophomore
And1: 91

Post#14 » by cashmachine » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:02 am

I don't think we have a chance in hell in getting him, but I would love to get Greg Brown somehow. Need s to add strength, but very capable of being a great 2 way player.

Also I'm intrigued with Amar Sylla as a 2nd round prospect. Has a lot of tools, but needs to gain some strength and polish.
cashmachine
Sophomore

Post#15 » by cashmachine » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:36 am

Also I like Marcus Bagley and Scottie Lewis as well.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#16 » by Catchall » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:11 am

The Australian kid Josh Giddey is probably on the Jazz's radar. He's certainly on Joe Ingles' radar.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
cashmachine
Sophomore

Post#17 » by cashmachine » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:10 am

Catchall wrote:The Australian kid Josh Giddey is probably on the Jazz's radar. He's certainly on Joe Ingles' radar.

Not sure how to feel about him. He has really good court vision and distributes the ball usually to the right guy. He's very Ingles like in that regard, but he looks really slow though as in slower then Ingles. Now he's young and obviously hasn't matured, but that's a bit concerning. Also he's even more hesitant then Ingles when it comes to pulling the trigger on a wide open j which could be due to his release which I'm not a fan of. Can't ignore that court vision and size though and another thing I like is that he's not afraid of contact which is pretty important to me.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#18 » by Catchall » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:03 pm

cashmachine wrote:
Catchall wrote:The Australian kid Josh Giddey is probably on the Jazz's radar. He's certainly on Joe Ingles' radar.

Not sure how to feel about him. He has really good court vision and distributes the ball usually to the right guy. He's very Ingles like in that regard, but he looks really slow though as in slower then Ingles. Now he's young and obviously hasn't matured, but that's a bit concerning. Also he's even more hesitant then Ingles when it comes to pulling the trigger on a wide open j which could be due to his release which I'm not a fan of. Can't ignore that court vision and size though and another thing I like is that he's not afraid of contact which is pretty important to me.

He's not as slow as Joe, I don't think. A 6'8" guy with an advanced handle and passing is going to be able make plays. I think his shot form will improve as he gets stronger. It's already showing some improvement, and the kid is only 18.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
cashmachine
Sophomore

Post#19 » by cashmachine » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:20 am

Catchall wrote:
cashmachine wrote:

He's not as slow as Joe, I don't think. A 6'8" guy with an advanced handle and passing is going to be able make plays. I think his shot form will improve as he gets stronger. It's already showing some improvement, and the kid is only 18.

It could be the pace that they play at, which might not tell whole story on his playing speed, so I could be wrong there(admittedly don't have the most experienced eye). If he shows speed in personal workouts I actually wouldn't mind potentially taking him the first because that's his biggest hurdle for me. He already has elite court vision and really good BBIQ for an 18 year old and with his body type he'll be able to put on good weight. I'm warming up to him :D
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,263

Post#20 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:51 am

Catchall wrote:Two guys I like for the Jazz who could slip into the 20s: Marcus Bagley and Kai Jones. Marcus Bagley could be comparable to Cam Reddish. Kai Jones could be what people were hoping Marquese Chriss would be when he was drafted in the lottery.

I don't see Bagley as a first round pick, and also don't see why we'd draft *another* center.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Utah Jazz