ImageImage

Welcome to Atlanta Clint Capela (and Nene)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Re: Welcome to Atlanta Clint Capela (and Nene) 

Post#141 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:57 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,870

Post#142 » by jayu70 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:06 pm

This pick we got from the Nets for taking Crabbe's salary.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
“I think it’s just understanding our concepts and picking and choosing the spots where he can be a tremendous helper,” coach Lloyd Pierce said. “He’s not blocking a lot of shots on his own man. He’s doing it on penetration and doing it as we’re funneling the basketball to him. I just challenged our group that we know what Clint is bringing, what can we do to continue to bring guys down to him so he can be in that position more often? It’s a challenge to them to contain the basketball, to be more physical at the point of attack, and if we get beat or in a compromised position, we know we have help back there. I think he’s understanding where we want him and where we’re trying to position him and how we can help most effectively at times.”

There are still some kinks to work out with the Hawks and Capela and how they surround him. Because he’s a non-shooter, it forces John Collins to space on the perimeter, and the lanes are sometimes clogged for Trae Young to drive to the rim. Collins’ counting stats have been down from what they were last season, but he has been an impact stats king. Before Friday’s game, the Hawks were absurdly 21.4 points better with Collins on the floor than without him. Also, the Hawks are 13.6 points worse defensively with Collins off the floor, and the combination of Capela and Collins together in the frontcourt has been mostly phenomenal defensively.

Ghost999
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#143 » by Ghost999 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:37 pm

jayu70 wrote:This pick we got from the Nets for taking Crabbe's salary.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
“I think it’s just understanding our concepts and picking and choosing the spots where he can be a tremendous helper,” coach Lloyd Pierce said. “He’s not blocking a lot of shots on his own man. He’s doing it on penetration and doing it as we’re funneling the basketball to him. I just challenged our group that we know what Clint is bringing, what can we do to continue to bring guys down to him so he can be in that position more often? It’s a challenge to them to contain the basketball, to be more physical at the point of attack, and if we get beat or in a compromised position, we know we have help back there. I think he’s understanding where we want him and where we’re trying to position him and how we can help most effectively at times.”

There are still some kinks to work out with the Hawks and Capela and how they surround him. Because he’s a non-shooter, it forces John Collins to space on the perimeter, and the lanes are sometimes clogged for Trae Young to drive to the rim. Collins’ counting stats have been down from what they were last season, but he has been an impact stats king. Before Friday’s game, the Hawks were absurdly 21.4 points better with Collins on the floor than without him. Also, the Hawks are 13.6 points worse defensively with Collins off the floor, and the combination of Capela and Collins together in the frontcourt has been mostly phenomenal defensively.

Lol, I think Houston might be regretting this trade just a little bit.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#144 » by Spud2nique » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:42 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#145 » by Spud2nique » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:09 pm

Dang it. Embiid got player of the week in the East. He went nutty too like Capela. :banghead:
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#146 » by Spud2nique » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:02 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#147 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:51 pm

jayu70
RealGM

Post#148 » by jayu70 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:55 pm

I love these background stories.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#149 » by Spud2nique » Tue Feb 2, 2021 7:50 pm

2nd in rebounds and 3rd in blocks in the ENTIRE league!

Send him!
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#150 » by Spud2nique » Sun Feb 7, 2021 4:12 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,903

Post#151 » by HMFFL » Sun Feb 7, 2021 5:04 am

Spud2nique wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Becoming a favorite for sure.
Many Hawk fans didn't know what to expect but if you watched him in Houston you did.

Thanks Harden!

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#152 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:29 pm

Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#153 » by Galloisdaman » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:39 pm

Clint has been really great! Not as great as Nene but still really great! :D
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#154 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:27 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#155 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:17 pm

CC has been phenomenal all season. A great addition by Travis.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#156 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:43 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#157 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:12 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#158 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 5, 2021 1:54 pm

Read on Twitter

With the Atlanta Hawks, [Clint Capela] is suddenly an old head. Nate McMillan, Atlanta's coach, leans on Capela for scheduling advice -- when the team might need an off day, or a light film session. Once shy in English, Capela is now a communicator -- in part to make sure the kind of animosity that festered in Houston never enters the Hawks' bloodstream. There have long been rumblings about tension between star guard Trae Young and big man John Collins, but the team and both principals insist they are exaggerated.

Capela now shouts orders as the anchor of Atlanta's defense. "The communication has surprised me," Bogdan Bogdanovic says. "You really hear him." He has even started a regular Monopoly game at hotels with Danilo Gallinari, Solomon Hill, and members of the training staff -- physical board and everything.

Capela is producing at career-best levels: 15 points on almost 60% shooting, and a league-best 14.5 rebounds. He is No. 1 in both offensive and defensive rebounding rate, and a bulwark defending the basket. Capela ranks fourth in blocks, and keeps his rejections inbounds so the Hawks can retrieve them. Amid injuries, Capela has been Atlanta's constant.

"I don't think anyone expected [the Hawks] to be where we are, and Clint is probably the No. 1 reason," McMillan says.

Teammates say Capela should factor more into Defensive Player of the Year chatter. "Other guys talk about winning it, and even if they are deserving, I don't think that's the best way to do it," Bogdanovic says. "Clint doesn't talk, so he doesn't get enough credit."

The Hawks have allowed six fewer points per 100 possessions with Capela on the floor. Opponents have shot just 52% at the rim with Capela nearby -- a tick stingier than Joel Embiid, and only a little behind Rudy Gobert. Capela ranks second -- trailing Gobert -- in ESPN's defensive adjusted plus-minus.

Gaudy numbers are landing Capela on the national radar. To him, nothing has changed. He still runs, and runs, and demands none of the trappings.

"It's like, 'I've always been good and you all are just noticing,'" he says.

The Hawks wanted a center to fortify their defense. They discussed Andre Drummond and Steven Adams, sources say. They thought elements of Capela's pick-and-roll partnership with Harden would translate to Young's game.

That would also mean an adjustment for Collins, Young's main screen-and-dive partner. Collins was on board with the trade, and invited the challenge of rounding out his perimeter game.

"Getting better players means you have to improve your game or take a step back," Collins says. "I didn't want to take a step back."
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#159 » by Galloisdaman » Wed May 5, 2021 5:24 pm

Nene does not get enough credit. I have not seen him miss a shot this season. :)
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
jayu70
RealGM

Post#160 » by jayu70 » Wed May 5, 2021 5:28 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:Nene does not get enough credit. I have not seen him miss a shot this season. :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Atlanta Hawks