Grizzlies Trade Thread

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 9:06 pm

With the previous trade thread all full. I decided to set up a new trade thread for the new season. All debates are welcome as always.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Re: Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#2 » by JaysRule15 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:18 pm

As long as we're not trading JV, I'm good with it. Grizzlies some decent 3pt shooting.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#3 » by SD2042 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:03 am

JaysRule15 wrote:As long as we're not trading JV, I'm good with it. Grizzlies some decent 3pt shooting.

Otto Porter's name has come up in the previous thread conversation for a potential 3&D player who can fit the Grizzlies. He's actually the player I wanted the Grizzlies to take some interest in the last couple of seasons.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,608

Post#4 » by youngthegiant » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:14 am

Can I get a defensive scouting report on Kyle Anderson? Denver could really use a wing like him for the playoffs, analytics love him defensively but want to see if you guys see the same thing.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#5 » by VCfor3 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:24 am

youngthegiant wrote:Can I get a defensive scouting report on Kyle Anderson? Denver could really use a wing like him for the playoffs, analytics love him defensively but want to see if you guys see the same thing.

Good team defender, okayish on ball defender. Not going to be a lockdown wing defender against Bron or Kawhi in the playoffs. Others on this forum may see him differently so good question. Overall a plus defender but you want him on the opposing 3rd option and have him help some to contain the top options.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#6 » by SD2042 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:23 am

VCfor3 wrote:
youngthegiant wrote:Can I get a defensive scouting report on Kyle Anderson? Denver could really use a wing like him for the playoffs, analytics love him defensively but want to see if you guys see the same thing.

Good team defender, okayish on ball defender. Not going to be a lockdown wing defender against Bron or Kawhi in the playoffs. Others on this forum may see him differently so good question. Overall a plus defender but you want him on the opposing 3rd option and have him help some to contain the top options.

To add more to VC's post is that KA is a secondary playmaker who can be beneficial to any team who can justify having the need for him when deemed necessary.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#7 » by VCfor3 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:43 pm

What kind of deal do you see Denver trying for? I honestly don't know what it would take for our FO to pull the trigger or what his market would be. His 3pt shot development has been big. That was always his one big flaw that really hurt spacing but he seems to have addressed it. Without that I think most other teams wouldn't have been very interested in him. I wonder what kind of interest there may be in him now.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#8 » by SD2042 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:24 pm

VCfor3 wrote:

What kind of deal do you see Denver trying for? I honestly don't know what it would take for our FO to pull the trigger or what his market would be. His 3pt shot development has been big. That was always his one big flaw that really hurt spacing but he seems to have addressed it. Without that I think most other teams wouldn't have been very interested in him. I wonder what kind of interest there may be in him now.

Given KA's increasing value recently, I wonder who the Grizzlies would want back in return. Perhaps a mid to late pick would be involve? Or perhaps a young player who fits within the Grizzlies current roster?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by VCfor3 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:38 am

KPJ is available for cheap, but he sounds like a locker room nightmare. I personally would avoid him but was wondering if others felt differently due to his talent.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#10 » by SD2042 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:57 pm

VCfor3 wrote:KPJ is available for cheap, but he sounds like a locker room nightmare. I personally would avoid him but was wondering if others felt differently due to his talent.

The only was I could see this to happen is onthe conditions that he seeks help for his personal issues.

That said, I believe he needs to step away from the NBA. He needs to address his ongoing issues with the law. Plus what I believe is personal mental health issues. Porter Jr. needs to confront these issues in order for his life to function for the better. Hopefully once he seeks the necessary help that he will be able to resume his NBA career and can re-establish his talents to be reliable and to built his trust back with the league.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#11 » by SD2042 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:29 pm

Here are a couple of trades I worked on over the weekend:

Trade One:

Grizzlies trade D. Brooks, G. Deing, 2021 FRP Lottery Protected, 2023 FRP Lotery Protected and 2025 FRP Pick Swapped

TO

Wizards for B.Beal

The Grizzlies will need to take a big step in their building with a move like this. A potential King's ransom with how the recent trades moves have gone thus far. The Grizzlies get back a true scorer in Beal who would be essential to the Grizzlies offense and be a big threat in and around the perimeter and in transition. Vet savvy is a welcome to the young Grizzlies squad with a player of Beal's calibur.

The Wizards get a King's ransom in return with future picks and a pick swap in the move of Beal. They get an expiring contract in center G. Dieng, who can be a plug in for T. Bryant as he's out for the season. Defense, rebounding, and post offense. Brooks will give the Wizards some effort on defense, mid-level scoring(albeit with inconsistencies), sense of leadership.

Trade Two:

Grizzlies trade D. Brooks, G. Dieng, J. Winslow, D. Melton, 2021 FRP Lottery Protected and 2023 FRP Top Ten Protected

TO

Bulls for Z. LaVine, O.Porter, and C. Hutcherson

Grizzlies gain a scorer in LaVine, who's very versatile on offense. Very Reliable in transition, rebounding, and is decent on the playmaking side. Porter is an expiring contract. Hegives the Grizzlies the 3&D show they need on game nights. Hutcherson is athletic role player when healthy. Plus he's sitting on a team option. WHich gives the Grizzlies the right to either keep him or waive him when the time comes.

See reference points on Brooks and Dieng in previous trade. Winslow is an expiring contract. When healthy, he would give the Bulls, playmaking, defense, and decent offense. Melton is a known defender and has a nose to steal the rock. Gets his points in transition, occasional catch and shoot situations. A player the Bulls could use for these advantages. The futures picks are sweetners for this trade.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#12 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:29 pm

I think trade 1 for Beal isn't enough to get him after what Harden, AD, and the lesser Jrue got. I think the package they get in return is going to be a young stud and unprotected picks. For us we are talking about Clarke, 2021 MEM 1st, UTA 1st, GSW 1st, and maybe more if we want Beal.

Trade 2 for LaVine is decent but I'd maybe remove Melton if possible. I'd be willing to take him and one of Winslow or Brooks out and then have them remove Porter.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#13 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:29 pm

Those are good trades & targets SD but I think more for a contender looking to add that final piece. Though Memphis are playing great & might make the playoffs this year, they have a long way to go to prove themselves contenders to make that type splurge on a max player/salary. It could hinder cap flexibility & shorten the window of contention for a team that has yet to reach contender status.

I don't know if it's possible but I think trading into the top 5, even if it means overpaying, is the way to go. A potential core group of 3J/Green/Ja has a wide window of contention starting from the moment the prospect is drafted. Their combined rookie scale & control allows Memphis to still potentially add a max player or several solid depth options in free agency to a young team who's already vying for playoff status without giving up assets.. That core group & path Memphis are on, should help entice, peak interest that would otherwise not be there ..

Maybe take your deal & make it a 3 way with Washington/GS where Memphis give up a young wing multiple lightly protected picks (Utah/GS) to Washington who could use multiple assets, for the Minnesota 21 pick, stipulating protection if it happens to land top 3 with lotto luck. Then, if necessary, Memphis can package that Minnesota pick with their own or an FRP for a trade down scenario if a preferred option is out of reach top 5..

I'd attempt first to trade Deing & Winslow's 30m expiring value for a short bad contract & pick capital to bolster those potential offers. Any teams looking to shed salary?.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#14 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:06 am

Whole Truth wrote:I'd attempt first to trade Deing & Winslow's 30m expiring value for a short bad contract & pick capital to bolster those potential offers. Any teams looking to shed salary?.

I can't think of any team really trying to ditch salary. Maybe NOP tries to get off Bledsoe if they think the extra cap space can be used better, but I doubt they give up much to do so. I think it may be a barren salary dump market this deadline and next offseason. Maybe Boston gives up a late 2nd for Dieng into their TPE? If Winslow comes back and plays a few games looking decent/healthy then maybe BKN does Dinwiddie plus a couple 2nds for Winslow to give them another large defensive wing?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#15 » by SD2042 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:12 am

VCfor3 wrote:I think trade 1 for Beal isn't enough to get him after what Harden, AD, and the lesser Jrue got. I think the package they get in return is going to be a young stud and unprotected picks. For us we are talking about Clarke, 2021 MEM 1st, UTA 1st, GSW 1st, and maybe more if we want Beal.

Trade 2 for LaVine is decent but I'd maybe remove Melton if possible. I'd be willing to take him and one of Winslow or Brooks out and then have them remove Porter.

I'm not gonna lie. When it comes down to make King's Ransom trades, the risk better be worth it. Especially if your end game is to get to the title and win out. I can't say in real time that I see the Grizzlies would up and make a deal for Beal given where they current stand. In the case of a Beal trade just based on the Harden trade. the ransom alone will likely be too much for the Grizzlies to handle.

A potential deal for LaVine is a likely scenario. If you were to just go the LaVine route straight up, then I can see Brooks, Anderson or Melton and the 2021 FRP Lottery Protected for him based on your scenario.

Whole Truth wrote:Those are good trades & targets SD but I think more for a contender looking to add that final piece. Though Memphis are playing great & might make the playoffs this year, they have a long way to go to prove themselves contenders to make that type splurge on a max player/salary. It could hinder cap flexibility & shorten the window of contention for a team that has yet to reach contender status.

I don't know if it's possible but I think trading into the top 5, even if it means overpaying, is the way to go. A potential core group of 3J/Green/Ja has a wide window of contention starting from the moment the prospect is drafted. Their combined rookie scale & control allows Memphis to still potentially add a max player or several solid depth options in free agency to a young team who's already vying for playoff status without giving up assets.. That core group & path Memphis are on, should help entice, peak interest that would otherwise not be there ..

Maybe take your deal & make it a 3 way with Washington/GS where Memphis give up a young wing multiple lightly protected picks (Utah/GS) to Washington who could use multiple assets, for the Minnesota 21 pick, stipulating protection if it happens to land top 3 with lotto luck. Then, if necessary, Memphis can package that Minnesota pick with their own or an FRP for a trade down scenario if a preferred option is out of reach top 5..

I'd attempt first to trade Deing & Winslow's 30m expiring value for a short bad contract & pick capital to bolster those potential offers. Any teams looking to shed salary?.

In the case of Beal, it's definitely possible that Beal will go to a contender like the Celtics, 76ers, Heat, or Mavericks could take a shot and see what happens.

In terms of cap flexibility, it's always a factor into the future. How muc hmoney a team has towards acquiring a potential free agent. Chosing the right player(s) that best fits the team and the time window. I can't say what plans the Grizzlies may pursue for 2021. Especially with how things have changed with some of their previous free agents of the class itself. Look at Miami and their initial plans for Giannis. That blew up and Miami is struggling right now between COVID-19 and losing key players to other teams. Anything can happen. I will say this though. Teams like the Grizzlies don't have the pressure to become instant contenders overnight. So time and the options are on their side.

My thoughts on Dieng and Winslow is that I believe these two will be traded between mid-February and early March for a player on a decent lengthy contract and who will fit into the roster for the Grizzlies. A scorer like a LaVine or Hield for intance.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#16 » by E S V L » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:46 am

I still think that we should pursue another 1st 2021 as our primary target.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#17 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:19 pm

Random trade ideas from GrizzlyBearBlues with my comments in blue: https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2021/1/27/22251591/clearing-up-the-grizzlies-logjam-memphis-nba-trade-speculation-melton-brooks-valanciunas-jones

Memphis receives: Darius Miller, 2023 1st round pick (via Denver Nuggets)
Oklahoma City receives: De’Anthony Melton

I don't see OKC making a win-now type move when they are pretty obviously trying to tank for Cade. Maybe this is an option later on down the road but Melton is someone I'd think we could move for a 1st if we wanted.

Memphis receives: Dennis Smith Jr., 2023 1st round pick (Protected 1-20, lottery protected 2024, converts to two 2nds in 2025/2026 if not conveyed)
New York Knicks receive: Dillon Brooks

I wonder if NYK is still in love with cap flexibility. If not then they'd maybe be down with this deal. I'd probably do a 2021 1st instead of 2023 but doing so makes it less likely to convert. I can't see us doing this though since our FO/coaching staff seems to love Dillon.

Memphis receives: Jabari Parker, 2023 1st round pick (protected 1-10 in 2023, lottery protected in 2024, becomes two 2nd round picks in 2025/2026 if not conveyed by 2024)
Sacramento receives: Tyus Jones

I think Haliburton can cover the backup PG minutes so I doubt this appeals to SAC. If Buddy is moved then maybe, but even then I think it is a long shot. Still if we shop Tyus I think there would be a market for him as he is a great backup PG.

Memphis receives: Cody Zeller, 2023 1st round pick (lottery protected, protected 1-10 in 2024, unprotected in 2025 if unconveyed)
Charlotte receives: Jonas Valanciunas

Again I'd try for a 2021 1st instead of 2023 but CHA needs a center and JV isn't that old. Could be an option both teams consider with the emergence of Tillman though he isn't the caliber of player JV is.

And some random thoughts of my own to avoid a double post:
-BKN feels primed to find a deal with Dinwiddie as the filler. They love him, but he is out for the year and their window is now. Their assets are super limited though. 2nds, Swap rights with the lower of their pick and the Houston pick certain years, a couple kinda meh young players.
-John Collins is a name with a lot of buzz but I don't expect ATL to move him this season unless in a package for a bigger star
-Boston has a big TPE and could trade their 1st this year. Would they have interest in any of our guys (Danny loves his picks) and would it be worth it to us? I feel like we always lose trades with Boston.
-CHA needs a center. There is the potential for a JV deal though I don't think it is likely. A lottery protected 2021 1st from them would sure be nice though.
-No idea what the heck CHI is trying to do these days. Feels like they are trying hard to win but their team just can't seem to put it together. LaVine may eventually end up on the trade block.
-CLE probably needs to move a center sooner than later to free up their rotation which likely hurts the JV market a bit
-DAL needs to get Luka some help but is somewhat limited due to the 1sts they owe NYK. Are they holding out for a 3rd star or would they be willing to make moves for solid role players and hope Luka and KP can carry them to the top?
-GSW are supposedly shopping Oubre probably looking to flip him and minimal assets for an upgrade. I seriously doubt they use the MIN pick on role players so until the actual draft I don't see that as a real option for us to acquire even if we can offer deals with good value. They are still hoping for a star using that pick.
-LAC will go for a flashier name, but Tyus is probably someone they should have on their radar since they could use another playmaker. Their lack of a true PG hurt them in the playoffs last year and Luke Kennard doesn't look like the answer to that problem.
-MIA looks rough this year though it is in part to missing key players. I only really see a deal with them if it is us as a 3rd team.
-MIL could use some of our vets but they will have trouble matching salary and they are very asset poor
-NOP is shopping JJ and Ball. I'd be down to have either on the team but not for what NOP is asking for.
-Aaron Gordon is probably available in ORL though I don't know what the asking price is.
-Bagley is probably going to get the John Collins treatment next year of "Will SAC move him before RFA?"
-TOR really needs a center. Maybe another potential JV suitor? Heck they may even be interested in Dieng. Salary matching is a big hurdle though.
-Conley has been absolutely killing it for UTA this year. I think he leads the league in +/- right now.
-I think Beal will ask out of WAS at some point this year
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#18 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:17 am

Of the 4 trades, I keep Jonas, Tyus as key depth options & prefer Melton over Brooks/Allen in the need to clear the SG rotation ..

Of the trades you mention. Nets & Boston draw my interest..

Rotation depth to a contender in need of a bench for a young injured player they can't wait on sounds like another Winslow type deal, injury risk/high reward.

Boston large TPE, if Memphis can do 2 things, consolidate depth for better minute distribution, potentially line up a cap saving trade for FRP/s. (Dieng + young player/depth option for cap/pick), (Winslow + young player/depth option for cap/pick). Potentially flip pseudo cap space for a short bad contract, FRP/s > than expiring value ..

Personally, I think Memphis would be making a mistake trading Jonas for a late first if it has no other purpose like trading up in 21 .. he brings a different dimension to Memphis front court, where he's dominant situationally. Same with Tyus being a reliable backup PG who takes care of the ball ... What's the purpose/reasoning behind creating a hole to potentially fill another with a mid to late first ?.

The crowded SG rotation however does need to be addressed, especially if Memphis can potentially draft a SG/SF this offseason.
The Force.
Head Coach
And1: 2,112

Post#19 » by The Force. » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:22 am

Bulls fan here.
How do ya'll feel about this trade?

Zach LaVine
Thad Young
/
Dillon Brooks
Brandon Clarke
Dieng
2021, 2023 FRPs (light protection)
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#20 » by VCfor3 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:24 pm

The Force. wrote:Bulls fan here.
How do ya'll feel about this trade?

Zach LaVine
Thad Young
/
Dillon Brooks
Brandon Clarke
Dieng
2021, 2023 FRPs (light protection)

Not an unreasonable offer. I think we would try to keep Clarke in a LaVine deal. Maybe Young could go to a 3rd team for additional assets and we replace Clarke with Jontay Porter and a 2nd? Memphis could take back whatever filler the 3rd team sends out. That may be not enough value for you guys though. I'd think LaVine would have a pretty strong market. Also I'd go for the 2024 GSW 1st instead of the 2023 MEM 1st. Feels like that one would be more appealing and seen as potentially more valuable for you guys.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies