ImageImageImageImageImage

All kinds of rumors about Drummond

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

All kinds of rumors about Drummond 

Post#1 » by Whiskey Slick » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:55 pm

Multiple sources are suggesting he may be bought out by Cleveland because he desperately wants to join the Nets. All I can say is, GOD please let this be true and let it happen. I've wanted Drummond since the year he was drafted and the Nets whiffed on him. I know he's a limited scorer, but he's a BEAST defensively in the paint and even more so on the boards, leading the league in rebounds 3 or 4 times. He would definitely be our answer to guys like Embiid and Anthony Davis, making their lives a living hell in the paint. IMO this would be the final piece to a championship team for the Nets, this year. I couldn't care less about his offense or free throws.

We have more than enough scorers and if we have to pull him at the end with double-digit leads, who cares?

Again, I don't know if it's true, but the rumors are flying hot and heavy.

1. He wants a buyout and the Cavs are considering it.

2. He desperately wants to be that final piece for the Nets.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Re: All kinds rumors about Drummond 

Post#2 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:59 pm

"I wouldn't kick her out of bed for leaving crumbs."

Basically, I'd be happy adding him for free. I still don't believe he wants to take an enormous paycut via buyout, but IF he does, and IF Cleveland is willing to let him go, sure.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,546

Re: All kinds of rumors about Drummond 

Post#3 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:24 pm

I'm fine with either Drummond or McGee. Drummond will help solve our defensive rebounding woes which is the most important thing
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#4 » by Prokorov » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:42 pm

I prefer McGee to Drummond, because he better solves our backline defensive issues and while not drummond still rebounds at a solid rate. but id obviously take drummond for free. He would fix rebounding by himself, and if nash is smart and staggers him to the second unit we would feat on offensive rebounds/2nd chance points ourselves.

it comes down to will he accepts50-75% on a buyout and will he buy into less minutes and maybe even coming off the bench? id think yes on both
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#5 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:58 pm

Drummond.... but he needs to reshift his priorities on offense... maybe be used more offensively in the 2nd unit burn...

Other than that, he brings a what we need....
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#6 » by Hello Brooklyn » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:16 pm

Drummond has been great defensively this year for Cleveland. Meanwhile McGee still routinely makes dumb plays and can't play more than 20 minutes.

The only concern with Drummond would be he tries to take too many shots. But in Detroit he did this much less.

Im not at all worried that he will defer to guys like KD/Kyrie/Harden instead of Sexton. Hes not an idiot.

For me there is absolutely not contest. But I will happily take McGee if we can't get him.

I'm still very dubious of Cleveland buying him out though. I think they might just keep him and try to make the playoffs.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#7 » by Prokorov » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:47 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Drummond has been great defensively this year for Cleveland. Meanwhile McGee still routinely makes dumb plays and can't play more than 20 minutes.

The only concern with Drummond would be he tries to take too many shots. But in Detroit he did this much less.

Im not at all worried that he will defer to guys like KD/Kyrie/Harden instead of Sexton. Hes not an idiot.

For me there is absolutely not contest. But I will happily take McGee if we can't get him.

I'm still very dubious of Cleveland buying him out though. I think they might just keep him and try to make the playoffs.

I think people are making some pretty poor assumptions on drummonds defense. its really poor outside of switches on to smalls. which is great. but he is a downgrade from even deandre backline/rim protection/defering drivers.

McGee is the guy you want there. Drummond also has the lower bbiq of the two, and takes tons of bad shots.

drummonds rebounding helps our defense the most. then his switching, as long as nash can commit to that. we would still need inside help at the rim
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by Whiskey Slick » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:01 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
I'm fine with either Drummond or McGee.

Drummond will help solve our defensive rebounding woes which is the most important thing

In the immortal words of Pat Riley: "No Rebounds, No Rings"

Translation: Adding a player like Drummond to the mix is not a luxury, it's a necessity.

Once you get to the post season, you can't allow guys like Embiid and Davis to have a party.

Drummond plays the kind of bully-ball in the paint that gives other BIG's nightmares.

They HATE going up against guys like Drummond, just like teams HATED Rodman back in the day. Drummond is bigger and stronger, but the similarity is, both guys would kill for a rebound.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#9 » by Prokorov » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:05 pm

Whiskey Slick wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
I'm fine with either Drummond or McGee.

Drummond will help solve our defensive rebounding woes which is the most important thing

In the immortal words of Pat Riley: "No Rebounds, No Rings"

Translation: Adding a player like Drummond to the mix is not a luxury, it's a necessity.

Once you get to the post season, you can't allow guys like Embiid and Davis to have a party.

Drummond plays the kind of bully-ball in the paint that gives other BIG's nightmares.

They HATE going up against guys like Drummond, just like teams HATED Rodman back in the day. Drummond is bigger and stronger, but the similarity is, both guys would kill for a rebound.

Drummond isnt 1/10 the defender rodman was. rodman is arguably a top 5 defender all time
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by Whiskey Slick » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:13 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Drummond isnt 1/10 the defender rodman was. rodman is arguably a top 5 defender all time

I loved Rodman but that is an overstatement. Drummond is one of the best rebounders AND shot blockers in the game. He's not guarding smalls on the perimeter like Rodman, but he won't let BIG's score at will in the paint.
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by Whiskey Slick » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:53 pm

Never mind
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#12 » by DarkXaero » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:33 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:Drummond has been great defensively this year for Cleveland. Meanwhile McGee still routinely makes dumb plays and can't play more than 20 minutes.

I think people are making some pretty poor assumptions on drummonds defense. its really poor outside of switches on to smalls. which is great. but he is a downgrade from even deandre backline/rim protection/defering drivers.

McGee is the guy you want there. Drummond also has the lower bbiq of the two, and takes tons of bad shots.

drummonds rebounding helps our defense the most. then his switching, as long as nash can commit to that. we would still need inside help at the rim
Drummond's defensive metrics, advanced and tracking data on Defensive FG % all rank him positively, and show him to be a plus defender though. I don't disagree on Drummond's shot selection, its the biggest reason behind his low efficiency. He could actually be a really efficient center with us if he sticks to a specific role (dunks, lobs, and putbacks).
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#13 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:59 pm

From an earnings potential, Drummond proving he can be a contributor on a winning team may go further than him getting supplanted by Allen on the Cavs. The Cavs don't trade for Allen if they plan on retaining Drummond. That has to ding Drummond's FA earning potential, which I'm sure he is not happy about.
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#14 » by LOUiS-D » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:15 pm

can anyone clarify the clearing waivers rules for me? I know that preference for signing is granted to teams with the lower standing when multiple claims for a player are made, but is that to take on the contract in it's existing state? As in before Drummond clears waivers and becomes a UFA would his cap hit be the full 28M?
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#15 » by Claud » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:24 pm

Drummond would be a HUGE upgrade over what we currently have(DJ/Perry.)

I understand he's not the best defensively but he's gotten a lot better as a post player and you know he can rebound like a maniac.

Drummond would solve most of our issues overnight. Would be top signing.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#16 » by Prokorov » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:39 am

Whiskey Slick wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

I loved Rodman but that is an overstatement. Drummond is one of the best rebounders AND shot blockers in the game. He's not guarding smalls on the perimeter like Rodman, but he won't let BIG's score at will in the paint.

he actually will guard smalls on the perimeter. its his defensive strength. he is a good not great shotblocker.

Rodman guarded Jordan, drexler, shaq, bird, magic, malone, barkely. there was no one he couldnt defend. drummond isnt in the same stratosphere.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#17 » by TheNetsFan » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:26 am

LOUiS-D wrote:can anyone clarify the clearing waivers rules for me? I know that preference for signing is granted to teams with the lower standing when multiple claims for a player are made, but is that to take on the contract in it's existing state? As in before Drummond clears waivers and becomes a UFA would his cap hit be the full 28M?

Yes, to claim a player on waivers, a team needs to take on his contract. If no team submits a claim, the player becomes a free agent. His cap hit for the new team would be whatever he signs for. The cap hit for the old team would be the original cap hit or buyout amount (minus offsets - if any).
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#18 » by Whiskey Slick » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:14 am

Cleveland lost to the Knicks tonight.

I'm hoping Cleveland keeps losing. The more they lose, the more likely Drummond can happen.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,231

Post#19 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:54 am

Drummond would be great here without a doubt, but he isn't that great defensively to be honest. He is a rebounding king and will help tremendously on not allowing 2nd chance points which has been hurting us. But we wouldn't be able to switch him on guys like how we're doing now with our defense. That's ok tho, as long as he handles the paint because we definitely need a tough big to defend Embiid eventually.

He's making about 28.7M this season as an expiring. I can see a buyout with the Cavs to cut his salary down to maybe 22-23Mish. And remember, we still have our MLE to give him so he won't really be losing much salary. He'll take a 5-6M buyout with the Cavs and we can sign him with our MLE and he'll recoup that easily. It's a win-win for him.

I also don't see any team trading for his big salary unless the Cavs want back 2 bad contracts. Cavs got him for like 2 2nd round picks, I don't see any team giving up a 1st for him or any major assets. All signs are pointing to him coming here.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#20 » by therealbig3 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:04 am

Would love to add Drummond.

I realize that Rodman was a better player than Drummond, because he was a much better defender, but as a rebounder...Drummond does have a better DRB% than Rodman when you compare the two as full-time starters. Drummond is at like 33.9%, and Rodman is at 33.0%.

Dwight Howard was at like 30% during his prime. Garnett and Duncan during their primes don't even come close (26%). Another big time rebounder was B. Wallace, and he was at 28%.

Drummond is legitimately in the conversation as the GOAT defensive rebounder, and the only reason he isn't definitely the best is because we don't have those numbers on Russell and Wilt and early Kareem.

Return to Brooklyn Nets