ImageImageImage

2021 Draft thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

2021 Draft thread 

Post#1 » by Norseman79 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:09 pm

I haven't seen one yet, and figured we might as well start one.

Given this roster and what we have seen, I am not even going to ask people to rank players According to what we need....for now, who are your top 5 in general? Or your top 3 by position? (I am hoping the whole positionless idea will be dead by then).

Top 5 (in no particular order)
1. Suggs
2. Cunningham
3. Mobley
4. Brown
5. Kuminga

Pg - Suggs, Duke
SG - Green, Boston, Williams
SF - Cunningham, Brown, Kuminga
PF - Mobley, Barnes
C - Bassey, Petrusev
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,652

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#2 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:39 pm

Lets start with what can we expect, do we have any 2nd rounders? Because I doubt our 1st will convey ofcourse.

For actual draftees, I dont really know any of them except Mobley, he really looks the perfect kind of all around big.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,259

Post#3 » by Baseline81 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:46 pm

If the Wolves hold onto their pick, one of Cunningham, Mobley or Suggs.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,104

Post#4 » by m2002brian » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:04 pm

Suggs all the way if we actually get the chance. Dude is quite literally a bulldog. Plays with such purpose and tenacity.
Just saying tenacity makes me miss KG. :(
BLUEGREENRED
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by Norseman79 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:29 pm

Baseline81 wrote:If the Wolves hold onto their pick, one of Cunningham, Mobley or Suggs.

I have been saying this for a bit, but if we keep our pick,I am sending Kat for the one or two, and hoping we get the other.

Basketball gods willing, we walk out with Suggs and Cunningham or Mobley...

We still need new coach, but...Suggs and Cunningham both seem to have the attitude and mentality to build around. They are leaders and as you said...bulldogs, not kitty-kats
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#6 » by Klomp » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:52 pm

Am I missing something on Cade Cunningham? People talk about him like a surefire star, but I feel like he could just as easily be Evan Turner? Hasn't popped off the screen to me yet. What am I not seeing?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,702

Post#7 » by thinktank » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:01 pm

Klomp wrote:Am I missing something on Cade Cunningham? People talk about him like a surefire star, but I feel like he could just as easily be Evan Turner? Hasn't popped off the screen to me yet. What am I not seeing?

A long way to go yet but this is also my impression.
"a poor addition to the board"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Klomp » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:18 pm

There's just something about Jalen Suggs that I'm drawn to. There's a smoothness to his game that not many college prospects have.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#9 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:22 pm

Klomp wrote:Am I missing something on Cade Cunningham? People talk about him like a surefire star, but I feel like he could just as easily be Evan Turner? Hasn't popped off the screen to me yet. What am I not seeing?

yet another point guard. This one is 6-7 or 6-8 again. No fancy passing this time. I think just well rounded player that can even be seen blocking shots around rim. i watched his team beat Texas Tech but he kind of vanished that game. Don't know much else, really don't care.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#10 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:43 pm

Klomp wrote:There's just something about Jalen Suggs that I'm drawn to. There's a smoothness to his game that not many college prospects have.
Looks like he can do it all.

I looked at his Dec game against Iowa because it had that 7 threes made alert on my phone. A really confusing effort really.

7-10 from 3pt(70%). But 1-7 from 2pt(14%), and 4-7 from FT (57%). Then 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 stocks, but 7 turnovers.
Season high 27 pts, almost double his typical scoring. His averages are mostly high across all shots. But he has no other games even attempting 5 threes. 6 of 14 games he makes zero threes. He seems to have dropped off hard on 3s since 2021 started, shortly after that big 7-10 day. Got in his head temporarily?
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by Norseman79 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:56 pm

My only concern with Cunningham is size...I have seen 6'6 and I have seen 6'8, let's hope for some type of combine to get actual measurements from this year. I would be drafting him as a do it all 3. Comparisons I have seen to Grant Hill fit. I would take Suggs one overall, and then it's between Mobley and Cunningham depending on measurements and what is done with roster. Again, this is if we keep our pick and end up trading KAT. There are also a couple other guys who could make big jumps by draft time.
Guidus88
Junior
And1: 114

Post#12 » by Guidus88 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:59 pm

For now I’m very high on Sluggs. A true competitor with nice fundamentals. And he is even Minnesota guy!

With Edwards would be a rly nice backcourt!
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,259

Post#13 » by Baseline81 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:10 pm

Cunningham's a 6-8 PG with a high basketball IQ. Think he did himself a disservice attending Oklahoma State -- would have more assists if had he had better teammates. Rebounds the ball and shoots .817 FT% and .388 3PT%. Turner's 1.8 3PA per game doesn't come close Cunningham's 4.1.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#14 » by Neeva » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:16 pm

I have Cunningham behind Mobley and Suggs. have a feeling Wolves will end up with the third pick which is why I keep mentioning Cunningham. IMO Cunningham will be a better nba pg than Lamelo Ball.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#15 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:51 pm

Guidus88 wrote:For now I’m very high on Sluggs. A true competitor with nice fundamentals. And he is even Minnesota guy!

Or, they may not fit together at all and would need to be separated in different lineups.

Remains to be seen if this team can mold Edwards into an offball player option or if he's going to ultimately play James Harden ball for the next 8 seasons before being willing to play with other good players.

I'd be more interested in more forwards again unless trades are made.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#16 » by Neeva » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:59 pm

Norseman79 wrote:My only concern with Cunningham is size...I have seen 6'6 and I have seen 6'8, let's hope for some type of combine to get actual measurements from this year. I would be drafting him as a do it all 3. Comparisons I have seen to Grant Hill fit. I would take Suggs one overall, and then it's between Mobley and Cunningham depending on measurements and what is done with roster. Again, this is if we keep our pick and end up trading KAT. There are also a couple other guys who could make big jumps by draft time.

If we trade kat gotta end up with 2022 lotto picks that where we might finally land a generational talent, Chet, Emoni Bates, Jaden Hardy, Victor Wenbanyama. All those four would have been number one in 2020 or 2021 drafts.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by Norseman79 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:25 am

Jedzz wrote:
Guidus88 wrote:For now I’m very high on Sluggs. A true competitor with nice fundamentals. And he is even Minnesota guy!

Or, they may not fit together at all and would need to be separated in different lineups.

Remains to be seen if this team can mold Edwards into an offball player option or if he's going to ultimately play James Harden ball for the next 8 seasons before being willing to play with other good players.

What do you mean by Harden ball?

I fully agree that forwards are the direction to go unless we make trades,and this draft is full of 6'8-6'9 guys.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Klomp » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:16 am

Jedzz wrote:

Suggs is a guy who doesn't need to be ball-hogging to be effective. If they envision Edwards on the ball more, Suggs would be a great fit.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#19 » by Jedzz » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:48 am

Norseman79 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

What do you mean by Harden ball?

I fully agree that forwards are the direction to go unless we make trades,and this draft is full of 6'8-6'9 guys.

Harden ball. I've made reference to this when talking about Edwards since long before he was drafted. James Harden is a combo guard who ultimately has played like he needs the ball in his hand and to be making all the decisions, the point guard of every Rockets game he ever played and no matter who is on the court with him. It has led to issues playing with other great PGs. That makes sense right? Harden is just now forcing himself or supposedly about to force himself, to play differently with Kyrie and Durant. It's taken age, years playing, and finally a decision to want to win a championship for him to desire leaving a team where he had total control of everything offensively like he's wanted in order to team up with players that also need that ball. Jury still out on that working.

That's Edwards' mindset coming into the league, James Harden point play. He was even allowed to begin this season doing so. Then he got backed off a peg or two and has had to play with others leading a bit. But watch him when on the court with say JMac and you will see Harden ball come back and he takes control again. We'll see if he learns to play off and on or not yet or if he ultimately gets more refined and even more confident and just outright becomes the Harden we knew for years. Not a horrible thing except that you can't play certain players with a guy like that. Like it is a waste to play another PG with him playing that way.

So then comes the question, is it wise to stick another high level draft PG next to him and think it's going to be a great front court. I don't know that it is. Jury still out on Edwards. I hope he's learning to play with a team. But his future may be as PG whether we like it or not, he may just keep gravitating towards that.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#20 » by Jedzz » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:51 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Suggs is a guy who doesn't need to be ball-hogging to be effective. If they envision Edwards on the ball more, Suggs would be a great fit.

So, right now in college he's not on ball much? Is that what you are saying? Great if what you are saying is true but is there actually proof of that yet, does their team let others lead besides him? Just wondering if there is examples of him playing at a high level in a game without being the onball point. Seems like he can do a lot so great if true.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves