Official Trade Thread -- Part XL

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Official Trade Thread -- Part XL 

Post#1 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:09 am

I had to double check my Roman numerals, lol.

Thread continued from here.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XL 

Post#2 » by Dat2U » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:21 am

XL? This trade thread will have the biggest and the beautifulest trade offers you've ever seen in your life!
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,152

Post#3 » by AFM » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:50 am

XL aka Bertans pants size after not working out once this off season
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#4 » by Topofthekey » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:12 am

In while it's still page 1
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#5 » by NatP4 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:45 pm

Saw some Celtics fans on Twitter calling for a Kemba for Westbrook trade. Sign me up
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#6 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:23 pm

NatP4 wrote:Saw some Celtics fans on Twitter calling for a Kemba for Westbrook trade. Sign me up

Heck yeah! Trade checker says straight up deal works!
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#7 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:02 pm

Absolutely -- better yet, get a 3d team involved -- say, the TWolves. They get Kemba & we get KAT. Should be no problem at all, & prime1time & WalltoWall would have their 2d star.

Of course, with KAT gone, Minny will be down a Center -- we could include Moe Wagner for them. In which case, they could send Jarred Vanderbilt to Boston, & in turn the Celtics would send us Payton Pritchard & Robert Williams -- who are simply slowing down the development of Carsen Edwards & Tacko Fall. If they're reluctant, we can throw in that R2 pick we've got coming from OKC in 2024 to sweeten the pot.

If you think these trades are unlikely, I have to remind you of that (as WalltoWall aptly pointed out) we used to think John Wall's contract made him untradeable. But, we found out that if you're flexible enough to give up a R1 pick & take back a worse contract... it can be done.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#8 » by WallToWall » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:25 pm

payitforward wrote:Absolutely -- better yet, get a 3d team involved -- say, the TWolves. They get Kemba & we get KAT. Should be no problem at all, & prime1time & WalltoWall would have their 2d star.

Of course, with KAT gone, Minny will be down a Center -- we could include Moe Wagner for them. In which case, they could send Jarred Vanderbilt to Boston, & in turn the Celtics would send us Payton Pritchard & Robert Williams -- who are simply slowing down the development of Carsen Edwards & Tacko Fall. If they're reluctant, we can throw in that R2 pick we've got coming from OKC in 2024 to sweeten the pot.

If you think these trades are unlikely, I have to remind you of that (as WalltoWall aptly pointed out) we used to think John Wall's contract made him untradeable. But, we found out that if you're flexible enough to give up a R1 pick & take back a worse contract... it can be done.

Sweaters will need to be added to make this or any deal happen. Yes, we are mortgaging the future to make something happen now. What other choice is there? Trade Beal, hope that we make good picks with the resulting haul, wait another 6 years for players to mature, hope no injuries and the like dont derail the master plan, cross fingers? We've been doing pretty much that since 1979! Do we like the resulting treadmill? At some point, one has to go all in. Beal is a player you build around and try to win it all.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#9 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:33 pm

No way in hell danny trades us kemba for westbrook lol

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#10 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:14 pm

WallToWall wrote:At some point, one has to go all in. Beal is a player you build around and try to win it all.

:banghead:

You have to have the asset base to trade for the talent to win it all. We don't have enough of an asset base. Going "all in" sounds like a bold and daring move, but it's just a stupid move when all that you have is enough to goose the team up to 45-48 wins for a year or two before collapsing again.

If it was easy to just "go all in" and make a run for a title, everyone would do it. But that's not how it works. First you have to build a strong asset base through years of shrewd (or lucky) drafting, trades, and free agency negotiations. You build your way up to being a 50-win team organically - about as good as a team like Boston, Denver, Utah or Philly. You THEN go "all in" by trading away future assets in exchange for more win-now assets to get you into that 60-win range where you are a real title contender.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#11 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:00 pm

WallToWall wrote:
payitforward wrote:Absolutely -- better yet, get a 3d team involved -- say, the TWolves. They get Kemba & we get KAT. Should be no problem at all, & prime1time & WalltoWall would have their 2d star.

Sweaters will need to be added to make this or any deal happen. Yes, we are mortgaging the future to make something happen now. What other choice is there? Trade Beal, hope that we make good picks with the resulting haul, wait another 6 years for players to mature, hope no injuries and the like dont derail the master plan, cross fingers? We've been doing pretty much that since 1979! Do we like the resulting treadmill? At some point, one has to go all in. Beal is a player you build around and try to win it all.

"Sweaters" -- I love that... :)

Look, we all want to win. But, your idea doesn't help us win anything at all. There isn't a player in the league -- not a single one! -- whom you could add to the Wizards & that move alone would make us a contender. Not even if it didn't cost us anything & we got to keep all the guys on the roster now & all our picks going forward.

No, not even Giannis. Add the Greek Freak to this team, & take one guy off our team to make room for him -- say Anthony Gill -- & we are still not a contender in the East.

But, of course, we can't get Giannis. In fact, we don't have enough "sweeteners" to acquire even a guy who wouldn't make nearly the difference he would! We don't have assets to acquire Karl Anthony Towns, for example. & you can stop dreaming about trading Westbrook.

Moreover, your description of what we've done in the past -- instead of going "all in" -- is completely inaccurate. In the 4 drafts from 2014-2017, we added exactly 1 player, & him we traded for an expiring contract. In the 5 drafts prior to 2014 we added a total of 4 players. In fact, Ernie was constantly trying to do what you suggest is such a great idea: mortgage the future to add "guys who can help us now." That's why we only drafted 1 guy from '14-'17.

Actually trying to rebuild a team through youth and the draft is a change from what we did under Ernie. Abandoning that rebuild will take us right back where we were.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#12 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:47 pm

WallToWall wrote:At some point, one has to go all in. Beal is a player you build around and try to win it all.

You know... I realize that the strong reactions to WallToWall's impassioned call for boldness may make him reluctant to suggest how he might propose to go all in, try to win it all with a team that has Beal as its core player.

That seems a little rash & even unfair.

So, WallToWall: let's say the Wizards decided to take the course you suggest -- what would their moves be?

1. Who would be the target "second star?" Is there a single guy you have in mind? Or a few to choose from?
2. How would we get that guy -- trade? free agency this Summer?
3. If a trade, & given you've suggested one or more targets, what is a trade that gets it done? I.e. one our trade partner would go for & that we'd be willing to make?
4. Assuming we'd be sending out multiple players, how would you plan to fill out the roster?

Now, obviously, I don't see a way to do this -- I've made that clear enough. But... that doesn't mean there is no way! In fact, I assume you must have something in mind, something I haven't thought of. I'd be very interested to hear about it, & I'm sure lots of others would too.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:11 pm

This has already probably been suugested...

But what about the Beal to Warriors, and also include Bertans to also get back the Warriors regular 1st?

Beal, Bertans for Wiggins, Oubre, Wiseman, 2 1sts (Minn & GS)?

Wizards shed some salary, and can really rebuild with Wiseman & 3 1st round picks (incl their own).

Maybe come out of the draft with something like Mobley, Suggs and Moody? Added to Wiseman, Rui, Avdija...

Warriors add Beal and Bertans for Championship push this year & next.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7390243
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,668

Post#14 » by penbeast0 » Mon Feb 1, 2021 12:49 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:This has already probably been suugested...

But what about the Beal to Warriors, and also include Bertans to also get back the Warriors regular 1st?

Wizards shed some salary, and can really rebuild with Wiseman & 3 1st round picks (incl their own).

Maybe come out of the draft with something like Mobley, Suggs and Moody? Added to Wiseman, Rui, Avdija...

Don't want Wiggins at all, don't particularly want Oubre, and if we are trying to make GS goes a long way this year, GS may want to keep them.

Best deal with GS would be Beal and Bertrans for Klay Thompson, Wiseman, Minny 1st . . . if Klay comes back next year we have an intelligent hard working wing, if not, at least we don't have to have Wiggins hanging around.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#15 » by prime1time » Mon Feb 1, 2021 2:40 am

I stand by my statement that Beal is someone you try to build around
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#16 » by nate33 » Mon Feb 1, 2021 3:35 am

penbeast0 wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:This has already probably been suugested...

Don't want Wiggins at all, don't particularly want Oubre, and if we are trying to make GS goes a long way this year, GS may want to keep them.

Best deal with GS would be Beal and Bertrans for Klay Thompson, Wiseman, Minny 1st . . . if Klay comes back next year we have an intelligent hard working wing, if not, at least we don't have to have Wiggins hanging around.

I don't see any way Golden State trades away Klay, and I really don't see them using Oubre as the cap ballast because they can't afford to pay Beal when they're already paying Curry, Klay, Draymond and Wiggins gigantic salaries. The filler will have to be Wiggins or there is no deal to be made.

I don't mind if it's Wiggins. We won't have any real cap room until Westbrook is off the books anyhow. Wiggins' contract expires at the same time as Westbrook's. In the meantime, Wiggins looks like he has become a useful player (albeit overpaid). And he is only 25.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#17 » by prime1time » Mon Feb 1, 2021 3:58 am

What do people think about Andre Drummond?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#18 » by nate33 » Mon Feb 1, 2021 4:14 am

prime1time wrote:What do people think about Andre Drummond?

A weird player. He can't shoot and he doesn't like to rim run either. But he's an absolute monster of a rebounder and he is a surprisingly good ball handler for his size. Defensively, he's only okay as a rim protector, but his rebounding is a huge help.

He's not worth his almost $30M salary, but I'd take him for $15-18M a year if we didn't have Westbrook.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Mon Feb 1, 2021 5:01 am

prime1time wrote:What do people think about Andre Drummond?

I've considered Drummond as a potential target if we are going to keep Brad...

The package I look at would be something like Bryant, Lopez, Ish, Troy Brown Jr.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7390453

The reason the Cavs could consider it is if they don't think there's a chance of keeping Drummond after this season. They get Bryant as a replacement next year. Lopez is a expiring included to make the money work, and can give you something the rest of this season, and then Bryant comes into the picture next season after his recovery. You also get Troy Brown Jr as a young player with potential you can possibly keep long term. So they are getting something for Drummond (Bryant & TBJ) instead of losing him for nothing. Maybe also add a 2nd round pick.

The Wizards consider this if they think they can sign Drummond for another year or 2 at least, and are all in for a Beal, Westbrook, Drummond "Big 3" for the next couple of years as a team they think could compete in the east. They can part with Bryant because Drummond is essentially replacing him anyway, and Troy Brown Jr is a young asset that just doesn't really fit in their long term plans.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#20 » by TGW » Mon Feb 1, 2021 5:24 am

A Westbrook, Beal, Drummond team would ensure that the wizards stay mediocre for a long time.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.

Return to Washington Wizards