Post#41 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:46 pm

Jalen Johnson - 24 pts (8-16) / 15 rebs / 7 asts / 3 blks / 2 steals

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#42 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:13 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Jalen Johnson - 24 pts (8-16) / 15 rebs / 7 asts / 3 blks / 2 steals

He was struggling before he came back. I was hoping that would let him fall to us. Looks like that may not be happening ha.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#43 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:45 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Jalen Johnson - 24 pts (8-16) / 15 rebs / 7 asts / 3 blks / 2 steals

He was struggling before he came back. I was hoping that would let him fall to us. Looks like that may not be happening ha.

His first game showed that he had a complete skill set backed by a high BBIQ. Time will only confirm that initial impression.

I don't think he's the best scorer, rebounder, ball handler, playmaker or shooter but he's probably the most rounded option in the draft. A high floor with a high ceiling, where at worse, I'm thinking a high end role player is his floor.

Green still remains my preferred target, his game & compete level reminds me of Mitchell but Johnson does have the potential ceiling of being Simmons, with range, a triple/double threat on a nightly basis.. with no holes in his game.

Both prospects are my early favorites to pair with 3J & Morant in what looks like a strong draft class. Love, that there's a couple of PG' prospects & a big man that could potentially push these players down to a more available draft slot 3-6 range, depending.

Where Memphis with their pick capital might be able to trade in or trade up.

I know it's not the trade thread but I'd be considering dealing Deing & Winwlow's 30m expirings, for a bad contract & pick capital to bolster that possibility. Memphis may make the playoffs but they have yet to prove they're contenders to splash behind a max player potentially hamper their cap situation, where targeting & consolidation into a top 5 pick with rookie scale & control, maintains cap flexibility & keeps the window of contention big.. while potentially adding that final piece.

I'd trust the Memphis scouts with that decision.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#44 » by jman3134 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:14 pm

I have quite a few sleepers this year who draft sites are not covering yet. Exciting times!
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#45 » by SD2042 » Mon Feb 1, 2021 1:32 am

jman3134 wrote:I have quite a few sleepers this year who draft sites are not covering yet. Exciting times!

Who do you have in mind?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#46 » by VCfor3 » Mon Feb 1, 2021 2:26 am

SD2042 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:I have quite a few sleepers this year who draft sites are not covering yet. Exciting times!

Who do you have in mind?

As well as who are you hoping we end up taking with our 1st this year? Given some of your past finds I am already hoping we get one of your sleepers on a two-way deal to replace Sean McDermott ha
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#47 » by jman3134 » Mon Feb 1, 2021 4:42 am

SD2042 wrote:

Who do you have in mind?

The first report is coming out tomorrow or Tuesday. I am waiting to interview his coach, but so far have received no response. I want to see if there is anything I missed. Don't think I did.

The second report I haven't started, but I have seen basics on this guy and he is going to be another slept on prospect.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#48 » by jman3134 » Mon Feb 1, 2021 4:44 am

VCfor3 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

Who do you have in mind?

As well as who are you hoping we end up taking with our 1st this year? Given some of your past finds I am already hoping we get one of your sleepers on a two-way deal to replace Sean McDermott ha

Thanks VC! It depends how high these guys rise, but they are both developmental prospects. The first is a major late bloomer. The second is still very young and early in the development cycle. The first we might have to take in the 2nd if the rest of the league catches wind. The second is probably a draft and stash.

As for the 1st, I have plenty of ideas. I have watched more college basketball than I had in 4 years.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#49 » by Whole Truth » Tue Feb 2, 2021 12:18 am

jman3134 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

Who do you have in mind?

Thanks VC! It depends how high these guys rise, but they are both developmental prospects. The first is a major late bloomer. The second is still very young and early in the development cycle. The first we might have to take in the 2nd if the rest of the league catches wind. The second is probably a draft and stash.

As for the 1st, I have plenty of ideas. I have watched more college basketball than I had in 4 years.

Is the draft & stash a Spanish big man?.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#50 » by jman3134 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 7:27 pm

Player number one comes from small school Shawnee St. He is a quick footed, raw 6'11 big man who is a highly skilled shooter and shot blocker, connecting on over 45% of his three point attempts at the moment.

EJ Onu is the best NBA prospect I have come across in my ten plus years of reviewing non-D1 prospects. The late blooming Shawnee State product has all of the tools to emerge as a rotation player at a very high level of play. While others have exceeded his production, EJ's skill level, coupled with his physical intangibles make him a true diamond in the rough.

What makes EJ so unique are his physical attributes and skill level, particularly on the offensive end. EJ is a rare 6'11 stretch five with a beautiful shooting form, sporting both a quick release and a high release point. He is remarkably connecting on 45.8% of his three point attempts (4 3pt FGA per game) this season, and this is no accident. In his most recent contests, he has been shooting significantly better than this percentage. He does not force shots and every three comes within the flow of the offense. He habitually will utilize the threat of his shot to move the ball around the perimeter, setting up an open look for a teammate. There are no wasted movements with regard to his outside shooting, and he is remarkably efficient.

http://jtmbasketball.blogspot.com/2021/01/scouring-nation-part-2-ej-onu.html
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#51 » by jman3134 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 7:28 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
jman3134 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:As well as who are you hoping we end up taking with our 1st this year? Given some of your past finds I am already hoping we get one of your sleepers on a two-way deal to replace Sean McDermott ha

Is the draft & stash a Spanish big man?.

He is international, but not a big man. I am working through his tape right now.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#52 » by Whole Truth » Tue Feb 2, 2021 7:50 pm

jman3134 wrote:He is international, but not a big man. I am working through his tape right now.

Roko Prkacin, 6'9" wing from Croatia who has some positional versatility, high BBIQ & advanced skillset for a 19yo.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#53 » by jman3134 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 7:56 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will take a look at him. There are also two Aussies to look at in the NBL.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#54 » by Whole Truth » Tue Feb 2, 2021 8:05 pm

jman3134 wrote:Thanks for the tip. I will take a look at him. There are also two Aussies to look at in the NBL.

****, I thought I had that guess, you have me intrigued ..
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#55 » by jman3134 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 5:26 am

Whole Truth wrote:
jman3134 wrote:Thanks for the tip. I will take a look at him. There are also two Aussies to look at in the NBL.

Excited to finally finish this one. Before I post on twitter, here is a sneak preview:

In this new segment, 'Circling the Globe', I profile talent from every corner of the world. In this episode, I highlight Minas' breakout wing, Gui Santos, who has a chance to develop into the best Brazilian NBA prospect in recent memory. At a young age 18 (born June 22, 2002), Gui has emerged as a formidable piece in the Storm rotation, contributing to the Storm's first place standing in the NBB (the professional basketball league of Brazil) while playing alongside Gonzaga standout JP Batista. Importantly, Gui is incredibly skilled for his age and possesses the requisite length, athleticism, and basketball IQ to develop into a standout scorer at the highest level. He is the biggest sleeper international prospect I have come across so far, and should look to capitalize on a relatively weak international class in 2021 by remaining in the draft.

http://jtmbasketball.blogspot.com/2021/02/circling-globe-part-1-gui-santos.html
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#56 » by Whole Truth » Mon Feb 8, 2021 11:42 pm

jman3134 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Excited to finally finish this one. Before I post on twitter, here is a sneak preview:

In this new segment, 'Circling the Globe', I profile talent from every corner of the world. In this episode, I highlight Minas' breakout wing, Gui Santos, who has a chance to develop into the best Brazilian NBA prospect in recent memory. At a young age 18 (born June 22, 2002), Gui has emerged as a formidable piece in the Storm rotation, contributing to the Storm's first place standing in the NBB (the professional basketball league of Brazil) while playing alongside Gonzaga standout JP Batista. Importantly, Gui is incredibly skilled for his age and possesses the requisite length, athleticism, and basketball IQ to develop into a standout scorer at the highest level. He is the biggest sleeper international prospect I have come across so far, and should look to capitalize on a relatively weak international class in 2021 by remaining in the draft.

http://jtmbasketball.blogspot.com/2021/02/circling-globe-part-1-gui-santos.html

He looked good Jam ..

Doesn't look like the type prospect to remain under the radar though.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#57 » by jman3134 » Tue Feb 9, 2021 1:11 am

Never know. This is his first year breaking out, but the bball IQ and physical attributes suggest he will be a special player one day. He is developing fast. He is a year younger than Didi when he was drafted.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#58 » by Whole Truth » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:19 am

jman3134 wrote:Never know. This is his first year breaking out, but the bball IQ and physical attributes suggest he will be a special player one day. He is developing fast. He is a year younger than Didi when he was drafted.

In those video's is that deceptive speed or is he Barbosa quick in the open court ?
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#59 » by jman3134 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:40 am

Whole Truth wrote:
jman3134 wrote:Never know. This is his first year breaking out, but the bball IQ and physical attributes suggest he will be a special player one day. He is developing fast. He is a year younger than Didi when he was drafted.

In those video's is that deceptive speed or is he Barbosa quick in the open court ?

Really good long stride speed (and handle) vs. short burst. His short burst speed isn't bad either, but it is no where at the level of Barbosa. Didi - the guy I reviewed two years ago - is much more of a similar speed profile to Barbosa. Still, it is impressive because it looks like he will be able to do this at the NBA level. He gets down the court fast. I don't think your eyes are deceiving you.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#60 » by jman3134 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:46 am

Profile on NBA draft riser Yoan Makounbou: https://bit.ly/2ZkoVDz

Trust me the clips I compiled on this guy are unreal! He is a French big man who is breaking out this season - only 20 years old.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies