Image ImageImage Image

OT: COVID-19 thread #4

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #4 

Post#421 » by Dresden » Mon Feb 1, 2021 5:17 pm

AirLaVine8 wrote:Up until 2 days ago, Australia had gone basically 2 weeks with no new community transmission. All new cases were only people coming home from overseas and being put into medi-hotel quarantine for 2 weeks. But then a security guard at one of the hotels in Perth somehow got it, and there is a cluster outbreak there. Western Australia has gone into a full 5 day lockdown and all other states and territories have closed the border to WA until they go 14 days with no new community cases.

I wish we had been that strict and on top of things back when we had the chance.
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#422 » by 2018C3 » Mon Feb 1, 2021 7:00 pm

Australia is doing great in the covid fight, but one of the reasons I think the USA is struggling is we have 5 of the top 20 busiest international airports world wide, and three in the top ten busiest international flight airports world wide. The 2nd most busiest international airport in the whole world is right here in Chicago.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2018/09/19/these-are-the-worlds-most-internationally-connected-airports/

Despite this, our death toll from covid is listed 8 out of the top 10 countries who have been the most effected in covid deaths per population percentage.

If you look at total deaths, the USA is number one, by a large margin. If you look at the percentage of deaths per population we are still bad, but the numbers look a little better.

Alot of this is I believe is a result of our international business economy.
CarMalone
Sixth Man
And1: 2,628

Post#423 » by CarMalone » Mon Feb 1, 2021 9:44 pm

2018C3 wrote:Australia is doing great in the covid fight, but one of the reasons I think the USA is struggling is we have 5 of the top 20 busiest international airports world wide, and three in the top ten busiest international flight airports world wide. The 2nd most busiest international airport in the whole world is right here in Chicago.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2018/09/19/these-are-the-worlds-most-internationally-connected-airports/

Despite this, our death toll from covid is listed 8 out of the top 10 countries who have been the most effected in covid deaths per population percentage.

If you look at total deaths, the USA is number one, by a large margin. If you look at the percentage of deaths per population we are still bad, but the numbers look a little better.

Alot of this is I believe is a result of our international business economy.

It’s mostly due to a poor response on the part of the government. We had really bad initial testing (it’s improved but results can be much faster), virtually no contact tracing, a half assed attempt at a lockdown with lots of states not having any lockdowns, coupled with the fact that a third of the country isn’t taking the pandemic seriously at all.
MJ is the GOAT, but LeBron can be if he does 2 of the following:
[X] Win another FMVP
[ ] Win another MVP
[X] 40K/10K/10K career

ACHIEVED 3/2/2024
Dresden
RealGM

Post#424 » by Dresden » Tue Feb 2, 2021 6:22 pm

New cases yesterday: 139K, new deaths: 2010. Wasn't long ago we were hitting 300K and 4K respectively. Hopefully this trend continues until we are back to the levels seen last summer, and then with the vaccine rollout, we can decrease this down to a very small amount.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,605
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#425 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Wed Feb 3, 2021 8:54 pm

Dresden wrote:New cases yesterday: 139K, new deaths: 2010. Wasn't long ago we were hitting 300K and 4K respectively. Hopefully this trend continues until we are back to the levels seen last summer, and then with the vaccine rollout, we can decrease this down to a very small amount.

Yeah, a lot of those really bad days were a direct result of holiday gatherings. I'd assume there might be another slight bump in cases after the Super Bowl, and hopefully we've rolled out a LOT more vaccines before Easter.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,387

Post#426 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Feb 6, 2021 3:45 pm

My sister is in AZ and works in Senior Care, she got her second shot of the vaccine on weds. 8 hours later she got some pretty serious side effects and has been in bed for 2+ days now. She is a healthy 54 year old... my father in law just got his first dose, but he is high risk and I worry about his second dose now :(.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#427 » by Dresden » Sat Feb 6, 2021 6:39 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:My sister is in AZ and works in Senior Care, she got her second shot of the vaccine on weds. 8 hours later she got some pretty serious side effects and has been in bed for 2+ days now. She is a healthy 54 year old... my father in law just got his first dose, but he is high risk and I worry about his second dose now :(.

I know a nurse that had similar reaction- sick for two days afterwards. Still worth it though!
Dresden
RealGM

Post#428 » by Dresden » Sat Feb 6, 2021 7:38 pm

This sounds promising:

New Israeli Covid drug which cured 30 cases of disease hailed by scientists as 'huge breakthrough'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/israeli-covid-drug-cured-30-191709164.html
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#429 » by dice » Sun Feb 7, 2021 2:44 am

Michael Jackson wrote:My sister is in AZ and works in Senior Care, she got her second shot of the vaccine on weds. 8 hours later she got some pretty serious side effects and has been in bed for 2+ days now. She is a healthy 54 year old... my father in law just got his first dose, but he is high risk and I worry about his second dose now :(.

my mother is a 75 year old living in dupage county and can't get an appointment
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,387

Post#430 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Feb 7, 2021 3:16 pm

dice wrote:

my mother is a 75 year old living in dupage county and can't get an appointment

He is in Dupage too, he has cancer and some other issues so maybe he got bumped up, his wife hasn’t gotten the shot just him so I think it was based on his medical file.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#431 » by Dresden » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:13 am

Only 87,000 cases on 2/7. That's the lowest since Nov. 1. Maybe no one wanted to get sick because of the super bowl?
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,308

Post#432 » by coldfish » Mon Feb 8, 2021 12:04 pm

I know multiple people that have been vaccinated and most of them describe being absolutely wrecked by the second shot but it only lasts 36 to 48 hours and then they are fine. Hopefully she gets through it. The strong reaction means that it worked so she should be good.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,746

Post#433 » by dougthonus » Mon Feb 8, 2021 1:59 pm

coldfish wrote:

I know multiple people that have been vaccinated and most of them describe being absolutely wrecked by the second shot but it only lasts 36 to 48 hours and then they are fine. Hopefully she gets through it. The strong reaction means that it worked so she should be good.

I only know one person who has gotten both shots, but they were also wrecked by the 2nd shot, but they were fine 24 hours later.

I've always felt that it makes sense that vaccines cause some problems for a day or two. Your body is building anti-bodies, it is forming a strong immune response to fight off this invasion. The invasion can't go anywhere because it can't replicate and spread, but your body's immune response is what causes the symptoms which is why things like fever that goes away really fast make a lot of sense to me anyway.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#434 » by coldfish » Mon Feb 8, 2021 2:31 pm

dougthonus wrote:
coldfish wrote:

I only know one person who has gotten both shots, but they were also wrecked by the 2nd shot, but they were fine 24 hours later.

I've always felt that it makes sense that vaccines cause some problems for a day or two. Your body is building anti-bodies, it is forming a strong immune response to fight off this invasion. The invasion can't go anywhere because it can't replicate and spread, but your body's immune response is what causes the symptoms which is why things like fever that goes away really fast make a lot of sense to me anyway.

I'm certainly no expert on immunity. The more I read, the more I realize I don't know. From 2000 feet, an immune response after a vaccination means that your adaptive immune system (B-cells and T-cells) recognizes the infection and sets off the alarm. Effectively an immune response shortly after vaccination means you already had an immune memory for that antigen. The second vaccination is really helping along the people with weaker immune systems and also building more B and T-cells so that if you get hit with the real virus, you will have a ton laying around waiting for it. These cells literally can last a lifetime and are the true source of immunity to coronaviruses. Antibody response is generally short term.

I have posted this before but in 1890 there was a global flu pandemic. Based on data, it looks like it was actually coronavirus OC43 jumping from cows to humans. The initial symptoms and waves looked almost exactly like covid. It actually bounced around the world for 5 years. After that, OC43 stayed around and now just causes the common cold in most people but can give a severe case to the very young or kill the very old. I wonder if that is the future for covid19. Basically, everyone has to get hit enough or vaccinated such that this only causes the common cold and then we are done.

Sorry for the rant that wasn't really related to your post.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#435 » by Dresden » Mon Feb 8, 2021 2:53 pm

coldfish wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
coldfish wrote:

I'm certainly no expert on immunity. The more I read, the more I realize I don't know. From 2000 feet, an immune response after a vaccination means that your adaptive immune system (B-cells and T-cells) recognizes the infection and sets off the alarm. Effectively an immune response shortly after vaccination means you already had an immune memory for that antigen. The second vaccination is really helping along the people with weaker immune systems and also building more B and T-cells so that if you get hit with the real virus, you will have a ton laying around waiting for it. These cells literally can last a lifetime and are the true source of immunity to coronaviruses. Antibody response is generally short term.

I have posted this before but in 1890 there was a global flu pandemic. Based on data, it looks like it was actually coronavirus OC43 jumping from cows to humans. The initial symptoms and waves looked almost exactly like covid. It actually bounced around the world for 5 years. After that, OC43 stayed around and now just causes the common cold in most people but can give a severe case to the very young or kill the very old. I wonder if that is the future for covid19. Basically, everyone has to get hit enough or vaccinated such that this only causes the common cold and then we are done.

Interesting story about the 1890 flu. Never heard of that before.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#436 » by coldfish » Mon Feb 8, 2021 3:04 pm

Dresden wrote:
coldfish wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Interesting story about the 1890 flu. Never heard of that before.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/31/did-a-coronavirus-cause-the-pandemic-that-killed-queen-victorias-heir

There are tons of things floating around about this. The mainstream press hasn't covered it but its in scientific literature. The symptom list looks like it could have been written in 2020.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,200

Post#437 » by HomoSapien » Tue Feb 9, 2021 3:15 am

My parents both got their second shot 3 days ago. Both had fevers, but my dad was mostly fine. It hit my mom pretty hard. She initially felt fine, but then started to feel really weak and fell as she was getting into bed and hit her eye on the bedpost. Eyes all red and busted, but thankfully she's okay. She's only 63, so I was surprised she had such a strong reaction to it (now she's feeling back to normal, besides the eye injury). If you have older parents, make sure they're stocked up on meals and everything because they might get knocked out for a day or two.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,130

Post#438 » by molepharmer » Tue Feb 9, 2021 2:23 pm

Although most probably know, some may not, but the Covid-19 vaccine is a different therapeutic type of vaccine using mRNA technology as opposed to more typical inactivated or attenuated vaccines (e.g. flu vaccine). The mRNA delivery methodology is not a novel concept that was developed simply for the covid-19 crisis.

"mRNA as the technological basis of therapeutics and vaccines is characterized by a great flexibility with respect to production and application. Any protein can be encoded and expressed by mRNA, in principle enabling the development of prophylactic and therapeutic vaccines fighting diseases as diverse as infections and cancer as well as protein replacement therapies...."

"About two decades after the first successful administration of mRNA in vivo, mRNA-based vaccines promise to become a game-changing vaccine technology platform ..."

reference for the above quotes:
T Schlake, A Thess, M Fotin-Mleczek, and K Kallen, Developing mRNA-vaccine technologies, RNA Biol. 2012 Nov 1; 9(11): 1319–1330.

so it's been closer to ~30 years in the making of the mRNA vaccine
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
Dresden
RealGM

Post#439 » by Dresden » Tue Feb 9, 2021 4:21 pm

"A team of World Health Organization scientists said on Tuesday in China that the coronavirus had probably first spread to humans through an animal and was “extremely unlikely” to have been the result of a lab accident.

The findings, delivered after 12 days of field work by the team visiting Wuhan, China, were the first step in a painstaking process to trace the pandemic’s origins, a question that is critical to helping prevent a recurrence.

“All the work that has been done on the virus and trying to identify its origin continue to point toward a natural reservoir,” said Dr. Peter K. Ben Embarek, a food safety scientist with the W.H.O. who is leading the team of experts. He was speaking at a news conference in Wuhan, the city where the coronavirus was first discovered late in 2019."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/02/09/world/covid-19-coronavirus

This would be a good time for Mike Pompeo to come forth with the "enormous evidence" he claimed he had that the virus originated in a Wuhan laboratory. Or was that just another lie told by the US govt for political purposes? The problem when govt. continually lies to its people (see reasons for going to war with Iraq) is that it produces cynicism and mistrust.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#440 » by Dresden » Tue Feb 9, 2021 4:23 pm

Second day in a row new cases under 100K and deaths around 1,500.

Return to Chicago Bulls