ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1361 » by TheNewEra » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:08 pm

How would people feel about a small push of assets to get Devonte Graham? A bit suspect defensively but a shooter and seems to have solid court vision
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#1362 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:58 pm

IS Kabengele available from the clippers? I see he has not been playing, is there a reason for that?
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Post#1363 » by nickhx2 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:01 pm

he's just not really good and not an nba player. not showing signs of growth. perhaps with a different development coach he could but but as constituted, not this moment.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#1364 » by TheNewEra » Tue Feb 2, 2021 1:50 am

JediMasterRevan wrote:IS Kabengele available from the clippers? I see he has not been playing, is there a reason for that?

Playing at one of our deeper positions and won’t get the nod over a vet like Patterson. More likely to be added cap filler to a trade
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#1365 » by TheNewEra » Tue Feb 2, 2021 1:51 am

nickhx2 wrote:he's just not really good and not an nba player. not showing signs of growth. perhaps with a different development coach he could but but as constituted, not this moment.

Same could be said about Mann but we still roll him out there. The prospects may all look different next season besides Oturu and Scrubb
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#1366 » by esqtvd » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:07 am

TheNewEra wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:he's just not really good and not an nba player. not showing signs of growth. perhaps with a different development coach he could but but as constituted, not this moment.

Same could be said about Mann but we still roll him out there. The prospects may all look different next season besides Oturu and Scrubb

Worst plus/minus on the team. Still there are some positives which is why they invest PT in him.

Terance Mann (89 minutes)
    Batum on Mann after Thursday’s win in Miami: “I won’t talk about Terance tonight because he just walked in the room, so I don’t want to say good things about him. He’s been good for us. He’s been great. He’s gonna be a great player. Stepped up the last two games, was huge. Had one game in Sacramento, one rebound away from a (double-double). So he’s got game like that, where he doesn’t play for one or two games and then he comes in and play minutes like he did the last two games. So he’s gonna be OK.”

Mann had perhaps the most intriguing week of any Clipper. Lue confirmed that Mann is not being used as a point guard and that concentrating on the wing allows him to play with a clear mind and more freedom. He is looking for Mann to provide defense and energy but also to play his game.

There are still rough edges. Mann made only 22.2 percent of his 3s, and he fouls jump shooters too much. But he challenges defensively and can turn his activity into production. And, every now and then, he cuts like this.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2021/01/31200226/Zu-to-Mann.mp4?_=2

Or maybe its just the word from On High. Remember, Jerome got a ton of showcase minutes last year--11 mpg in 42 games! A lot more than I remembered, and a lot more than he earned [34%/28%].

Jerome was a throw-in in the 3-team Marcus Morris trade but I can't see how we got anything in return. Looks like pure salary dump and with plenty of cap room, the Wiz took a flyer.

Code: Select all

February 6, 2020: As part of a 3-team trade, traded by the Los Angeles Clippers to the Washington Wizards; the Los Angeles Clippers traded Maurice Harkless, a 2020 1st round draft pick (Udoka Azubuike was later selected), a 2021 1st round draft pick and a 2021 2nd round draft pick to the New York Knicks; the New York Knicks traded Marcus Morris to the Los Angeles Clippers; the Washington Wizards traded Isaiah Thomas to the Los Angeles Clippers; and the Washington Wizards traded Issuf Sanon to the New York Knicks. (2021 second-round pick is DET's pick.) (2021 first-round pick is right to swap with LAC's first-round pick, top-4 protected)
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Post#1367 » by nickhx2 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 5:21 am

TheNewEra wrote:

yeah if someone said that about mann they'd be wrong.

he's certainly better than "not really good" and it's clear in his minutes he looks comfortable, and at times like he belongs (even if he's a reserve). beyond that, he's showing signs of growth. they're like polar opposites in terms of fringe nba players trying to make it.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#1368 » by TheNewEra » Tue Feb 2, 2021 9:04 am

nickhx2 wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:

he's certainly better than "not really good" and it's clear in his minutes he looks comfortable, and at times like he belongs (even if he's a reserve). beyond that, he's showing signs of growth. they're like polar opposites in terms of fringe nba players trying to make it.

I don’t think Mann will end up with much of a future on this team with his limitations and age. He may get a extra year or so but eventually I think they will upgrade his spot with a true raw prospect with upside or a rotation vet. We will see
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#1369 » by TheNewEra » Tue Feb 2, 2021 9:07 am

esqtvd wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:

Worst plus/minus on the team. Still there are some positives which is why they invest PT in him.

Batum on Mann after Thursday’s win in Miami: “I won’t talk about Terance tonight because he just walked in the room, so I don’t want to say good things about him. He’s been good for us. He’s been great. He’s gonna be a great player. Stepped up the last two games, was huge. Had one game in Sacramento, one rebound away from a (double-double). So he’s got game like that, where he doesn’t play for one or two games and then he comes in and play minutes like he did the last two games. So he’s gonna be OK.”

Mann had perhaps the most intriguing week of any Clipper. Lue confirmed that Mann is not being used as a point guard and that concentrating on the wing allows him to play with a clear mind and more freedom. He is looking for Mann to provide defense and energy but also to play his game.

There are still rough edges. Mann made only 22.2 percent of his 3s, and he fouls jump shooters too much. But he challenges defensively and can turn his activity into production. And, every now and then, he cuts like this.

Or maybe its just the word from On High. Remember, Jerome got a ton of showcase minutes last year--11 mpg in 42 games! A lot more than I remembered, and a lot more than he earned [34%/28%].

Jerome was a throw-in in the 3-team Marcus Morris trade but I can't see how we got anything in return. Looks like pure salary dump and with plenty of cap room, the Wiz took a flyer.

February 6, 2020: As part of a 3-team trade, traded by the Los Angeles Clippers to the Washington Wizards; the Los Angeles Clippers traded Maurice Harkless, a 2020 1st round draft pick (Udoka Azubuike was later selected), a 2021 1st round draft pick and a 2021 2nd round draft pick to the New York Knicks; the New York Knicks traded Marcus Morris to the Los Angeles Clippers; the Washington Wizards traded Isaiah Thomas to the Los Angeles Clippers; and the Washington Wizards traded Issuf Sanon to the New York Knicks. (2021 second-round pick is DET's pick.) (2021 first-round pick is right to swap with LAC's first-round pick, top-4 protected)

Mann and Kabengele can very well be on the same path as filler seeing as how poorly their development has gone.

Not sure what the plan for Oturu is suppose to be if Ibaka comes back but I hope something happens
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#1370 » by esqtvd » Tue Feb 2, 2021 10:33 am

TheNewEra wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:

Mann and Kabengele can very well be on the same path as filler seeing as how poorly their development has gone.

Not sure what the plan for Oturu is suppose to be if Ibaka comes back but I hope something happens

no G-League yet but the stats love Oturu so far lol

thing is, Mann is 24 and Fi is 23
Oturu just turned 21 in September

I do think Mann still has a shot--he's got that bonzai thing going
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
MartinRiggs
Junior
And1: 136

Post#1371 » by MartinRiggs » Wed Feb 3, 2021 5:28 am

Guys,my salary cap knowledge is zero so I have to ask: Could we trade Lou,Kennard and Zubac for Drummond and get either Rose or Hill via buyout? :)
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,057

Post#1372 » by og15 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 10:46 pm

MartinRiggs wrote:Guys,my salary cap knowledge is zero so I have to ask: Could we trade Lou,Kennard and Zubac for Drummond and get either Rose or Hill via buyout? :)

Those two make $12 million together and Drummond makes $28 million, so not even close :lol:

-------------

The hard cap limits just about everything the Clippers can do this season. Jackson and Patterson with one year contracts have no trade clauses, so hard to see them being included in trades, but they can't be traded for much anyways. A guy like Trevor Ariza if bought out could help the defense on the bench, but again, the cap is pretty tight, so I don't even know how much room there is to sign him to a minimum at that time, and that would be lesser priority than a guard if one was to be available.

Clippers can't at any point in time have all their salaries go $6 million over the luxury tax, and at the moment the team according toe ESPN Trade Machine is actually closer than I thought, and only about $238K under, so the cap guys in the FO will really have to work hard to find trades or moves that work.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#1373 » by TheNewEra » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:20 pm

Can’t see us staying still at the deadline
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,831

Post#1374 » by ejftw » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:57 pm

TheNewEra wrote:Can’t see us staying still at the deadline

I'm on the flip side, I can't see us being active. We are barely under the hard cap that all we can really sign are ten day guys about three times and don't have anyone that we can or will look to dump outside of maybe Kabengele, which will give us about $3M in breathing room.

I don't see us dealing Lou with his recent play either.

At most, Kabengele + cash for a fake second to play the buy out market is all I see
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#1375 » by og15 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:40 pm

ejftw wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:Can’t see us staying still at the deadline

I'm on the flip side, I can't see us being active. We are barely under the hard cap that all we can really sign are ten day guys about three times and don't have anyone that we can or will look to dump outside of maybe Kabengele, which will give us about $3M in breathing room.

I don't see us dealing Lou with his recent play either.

At most, Kabengele + cash for a fake second to play the buy out market is all I see

I think the Clippers might make that kind of cap clearing move you are talking about just to allow wiggle room for possible buy outs.
MartinRiggs
Junior
And1: 136

Post#1376 » by MartinRiggs » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:57 am

Trade Beverley. If anybody wants the guy who can play only 2-3 games before getting injured. :noway:
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#1377 » by Young Sterling » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:57 am

Trade Paul George for a disgruntled superstar + KEY role players in a multi team trade, our ONLY solution. We can't trade our role players because of cap flexibility, salary, blah blah. But if we trade PG13 in a multi team trade, we can attach Zubac and Pat Bev's salary along with guys like Fi for dumping/clearing purposes. PG is booty, and we need to go after a Whiteside/McGee type player along with a superstar like Westbrook/Beal/ Even Oladipo or Jerami Grant + Role players would be better than Paul George.

Paul George is our greatest asset. Time to flip him in a multi team trade for 1 superstar and like 2 key role players (Thad Young, Rubio, Sato)
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,831

Post#1378 » by ejftw » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:02 pm

Young Sterling wrote:Trade Paul George for a disgruntled superstar + KEY role players in a multi team trade, our ONLY solution. We can't trade our role players because of cap flexibility, salary, blah blah. But if we trade PG13 in a multi team trade, we can attach Zubac and Pat Bev's salary along with guys like Fi for dumping/clearing purposes. PG is booty, and we need to go after a Whiteside/McGee type player along with a superstar like Westbrook/Beal/ Even Oladipo or Jerami Grant + Role players would be better than Paul George.

Paul George is our greatest asset. Time to flip him in a multi team trade for 1 superstar and like 2 key role players (Thad Young, Rubio, Sato)

You better get the okay from Kawhi, or else he bails in FA and we are stuck with Luke Kennard as our best wing.

Even then, I don't see any real deal for George making it worthwhile. Since you mentioned two Chicago guys, they won't give LaVine + Sato for PG, doesn't fit their timeline.

Plus, to boot, if I'm not mistaken, Clippers can't even deal PG due to the extension.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#1379 » by og15 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:37 pm

I saw Myles Turner mentioned on RealGM wiretap, and he's an option I've been thinking could make sense for the Clippers, so I thought it was interesting to see his name.

He's a big that can protect the rim, shoot outside (sorta), and has a decent contract ($18M). His rebounding is not particularly good, and while the Pacers rebound well when he's on the floor, which could mean he boxes out well, etc, that might also be because of Sabonis, so you might need a rebounding 4 as the big next to him, which the Clippers don't have.

It's tough though, it would have to be like Beverley + Zubac + Kabangele + 2nd's for Turner + McConnell, I don't believe they would want to trade McConnell, was just looking for a guard to add that makes $3.5 million or under.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,691

Post#1380 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:03 pm

TheNewEra wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:

I don’t think Mann will end up with much of a future on this team with his limitations and age. He may get a extra year or so but eventually I think they will upgrade his spot with a true raw prospect with upside or a rotation vet. We will see

You forget our track record with 'prospects'. 8-)

Return to Los Angeles Clippers