2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#1 » by City of Trees » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:25 am

College basketball is finally here and NBA preseason is only two weeks away. As fans of a projected lottery team we should start our homework early on this draft class.Image
SACRAMENTO IS ON THE CLOCK!!!!!!

Who is Monte McNair?

Monte has stated his drafting philosophy will always be selecting the best player available when his team is on the clock.

"We're happy that he [Haliburton] fits the style of play we want, but first and foremost, he was the best talent available to us and we don't pass up talent. I think he'll be a great complement to De'Aaron, I think they're going to be a great tandem on both ends. But yeah, we’re really excited to add him. First and foremost for his talent, but certainly for the style of play that we want to do as well,” he said. "The league is going to multiple ball handlers. I think a lot of the great teams these days it's not just one guy out there, you need multiple guys that can push the pace, that can handle on offense, create for others and themselves, and I think Tyrese can obviously play with or without De'Aaron or anybody else on our roster. So, really excited to see how he fits in."

McNair sounds like a GM looking to add talent to a roster that recently found itself passing on talent for fit with the #2 pick (sorry for mentioning it :waaa: )

We have an idea of what kind of player McNair would select- BPA, and the importance put on playmaking. But what about fit? What is the team's identity? Well I've been wondering myself what the team identity would be, and I found this tidbit hidden inside the De'Aaron Fox max extension press release.

“De’Aaron is amongst the elite young guards in the league and I can’t say enough about how excited we are to have his talent, leadership and potential remain in Sacramento for years to come,” said McNair. “His speed and dynamic playmaking ability along with his aggressive defensive mindset are core to our team’s identity. Not only is De’Aaron a fierce competitor who is committed to winning here, his charisma and integrity are characteristics we value greatly. I anticipate a bright future ahead for him and the organization.”

So Ive identified five focus areas that the team values in a prospect:

1) Talent
2) Ball handling
3) Playmaking for others
4) Aggressive defensive mindset
5) Athleticism

I will be searching for prospects who fit this mold.

What do you guys think do you agree? Disagree? Or have anything to add? Let's talk some college basketball!
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#2 » by City of Trees » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:05 am

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#3 » by City of Trees » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:33 am

Sam Vecenie of The Athletic prospect rankings Nov. 24th edition:

1) Cade Cunningham | 6-7 lead ballhander | 19 years old, freshman | Oklahoma State
2) Jalen Green | 6-5 guard | 18 years old | G League Ignite
3) Brandon Boston Jr. | 6-7 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Kentucky
4) Jonathan Kuminga | 6-8 forward | 18 years old | G League Ignite
5) Keon Johnson | 6-5 wing | 18 years old, freshman | Tennessee
6) Evan Mobley | 7-0 center | 19 years old, freshman | USC
7) Ziaire Williams | 6-7 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Stanford
8)Terrence Clarke | 6-7 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Kentucky
9) Scottie Barnes | 6-8 forward | 19 years old, freshman | Florida State
10) Usman Garuba | 6-8 forward/center | 18 years old | Real Madrid
11) Jalen Suggs | 6-5 guard | 19 years old, freshman | Gonzaga
12) Caleb Love | 6-3 guard | 19 years old, freshman | North Carolina
13) Daishen Nix | 6-5 guard | 18 years old | G League Ignite
14) Keyontae Johnson | 6-5 wing | 21 years old, junior | Florida
15) Greg Brown | 6-8 forward | 19 years old, freshman | Texas
16) Moses Moody | 6-6 wing | 18 years old, freshman | Arkansas
17) Josh Christopher | 6-4 guard | 19 years old, freshman | Arizona State
18) D.J. Steward | 6-3 guard | 19 years old, freshman | Duke
19) Jalen Johnson | 6-8 forward | 18 years old, freshman | Duke
20) James Bouknight | 6-5 wing | 20 years old, sophmore | Connecticut

I thought it was notable Sam does not have Marcus Bagley listed in his top 60.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#4 » by City of Trees » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:02 am

Scottie Barnes is my early favorite. Point forward who they say plays like a mix of Magic and Scottie Pippen, in other words handles the ball and defends.

I see Barnes as a potential target since I project the Kings will pick in the 5-10 range. Checks all the boxes in my focus areas. But Wendell Carter fooled me with his HS game tape so I'm looking forward to watching Barnes play college ball.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#5 » by graymule » Wed Dec 2, 2020 7:02 pm

City of Trees wrote:Image

:lol:

Atlanta Hawks picking #2 in the next draft? Wow! And they are expected to be in the playoffs.
How can this be?

:nonono:
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#6 » by City of Trees » Thu Dec 3, 2020 5:55 am

Prospects I've been watching and I like what I see:

Cade Cunningham
Jalen Suggs
Jalen Johnson

Other players I've watched that have potential but I'm not completely sold on yet:

Ziaire Williams
BJ Boston

Meh:
Evan Mobley
Terrance Clarke

Can't wait to see:
Jalen Green
Scottie Barnes
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#7 » by codydaze » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:56 pm

I know Cade has all the hype right now but I'm really starting to like Evan Mobley in this draft and would love it if we somehow found a way to get him in Sac, especially if we decide to move Bagley. He's very skilled offensively and looks like he'll be a legit rim protector, I think he would be a perfect fit with Fox and Hali. He'll probably be a top 3 pick though but hopefully we get some lotto lick again.

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#8 » by codydaze » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:28 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
codydaze wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
It’s the Cade Cunningham derby.

Evan Mobley is the guy I want, personally.

Cade seems to be the pick if Fox is still on the team. Fox thrives with other smart players who can take the pressure off of him. Adding Cade to Fox and Haliburton would be a feat and we would have one of the best looking perimeter cores in the league. Cade is going to be amazing.

Thought I'd move this over to the draft thread because it would be nice to start getting some discussions going here.

I think Cade is a talented player and wouldn't bat an eye if he went #1 at all, but I firmly believe Mobley could be the best player in this class and would also be a great fit with Fox/Hali. Defensively he's going to be a really good rim protector and has excellent instincts in guarding the pick and roll. Very fluid for his size and is also a very smart player, he would be amazing for us working out of the high post as he's an excellent passer and can knock down shots out to the three point line. That's why I think he would work even if we kept Bagley around, he has the ability to play inside or out, offensively.
OscarH
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#9 » by OscarH » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:23 pm

I really love the Cade fit, and Kings have never had elite prospect at that true wing size. Also He and Haliburton are really close from their time on team USA. On MGrads podcast he did they got on real way from day one so getting some instant chemistry.

Fox, Hali, Cade is pretty reminiscent to Maxes, Hali, Cade from that U19 team.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,711

Post#10 » by Sactowndog » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:19 am

City of Trees wrote:Scottie Barnes is my early favorite. Point forward who they say plays like a mix of Magic and Scottie Pippen, in other words handles the ball and defends.

I see Barnes as a potential target since I project the Kings will pick in the 5-10 range. Checks all the boxes in my focus areas. But Wendell Carter fooled me with his HS game tape so I'm looking forward to watching Barnes play college ball.

The problem with Barnes is he can’t shoot free throws. Free throw percentage tends to be the best indicator of how they will shoot in the NBA. Hoping we end up in top 6 minimum so we can take Williams, Kuminga or Mobley.
Sactowndog

Post#11 » by Sactowndog » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:24 am

codydaze wrote:I know Cade has all the hype right now but I'm really starting to like Evan Mobley in this draft and would love it if we somehow found a way to get him in Sac, especially if we decide to move Bagley. He's very skilled offensively and looks like he'll be a legit rim protector, I think he would be a perfect fit with Fox and Hali. He'll probably be a top 3 pick though but hopefully we get some lotto lick again.

Dude looks like Durant. I’m guessing you need to be 1 or 2 to get that kid.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#12 » by City of Trees » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:39 am

Monte do whatever it takes to draft Cade. Pair him with Fox and Haliburton so the Kings mean business.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#13 » by BoogieTime » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:44 am

City of Trees wrote:Monte do whatever it takes to draft Cade. Pair him with Fox and Haliburton so the Kings mean business.

He can start by moving Barnes who is killing me slowly by leading these wins. Dude isn’t timeline with our team and deserves to be in the playoffs
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#14 » by SmellingColors » Sat Feb 6, 2021 4:51 am

Has anyone taken a look at Franz Wagner? German player at Michigan right now. 6'8" SF with good defense. Averaging about a stl and block per game. Right now a 30% 3pt shooter, but an 80% FT shooter which may bode well for his 3pt potential in the NBA. Tankathon has him going to us right now at 12 so I thought I'd take a look.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#15 » by City of Trees » Sat Feb 6, 2021 6:07 am

SmellingColors wrote:Has anyone taken a look at Franz Wagner? German player at Michigan right now. 6'8" SF with good defense. Averaging about a stl and block per game. Right now a 30% 3pt shooter, but an 80% FT shooter which may bode well for his 3pt potential in the NBA. Tankathon has him going to us right now at 12 so I thought I'd take a look.
Brother of NBA player Moritz Wagner. You all remember him as the guy Bagley dunked on in his first summer league game.
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#16 » by kb02 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 1:09 pm

Have watched a handful of college games. Here are some thoughts (small sample size):

1. Cunningham. NBA body. Above average, but not an exceptional athlete by NBA standards. 6'7. Can facilitate. Didn't see an exceptional shot. Would fit in nicely with Fox and Hali. Top 3 pick. Don't see a generational player.

2. Mobley. I see a young Aldridge. Not a young Garnett. I tried hard to see Garnet, but just didn't see that in the game that I watched. Going to struggle at first in the league, because he's so skinny. Fans should expect Aldridge/Bosh more than they expect Giannis/AD.

3. Jalen Suggs. A slightly taller, slightly more athletic George Hill. 6''3 to 6'4. Not 6'5. His shot is mechanical. Won't be a league average shooter for a few years. Has the kind of NBA body that most springy guards do--Kenyon Dooling, less athletic Zach Lavine...Not quite as much as a bully as Russ or a young DRose. More like the type that tries to win on quickness and athleticism than physicality.

One viewing each. So my perceptions may change.
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#17 » by kb02 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 1:15 pm

Sactowndog wrote:
codydaze wrote:I know Cade has all the hype right now but I'm really starting to like Evan Mobley in this draft and would love it if we somehow found a way to get him in Sac, especially if we decide to move Bagley. He's very skilled offensively and looks like he'll be a legit rim protector, I think he would be a perfect fit with Fox and Hali. He'll probably be a top 3 pick though but hopefully we get some lotto lick again.

No way he is a three in the league. I see a 5/4.
Sactowndog

Post#18 » by Sactowndog » Sat Feb 6, 2021 4:13 pm

kb02 wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:

Yeah most likely but the way we are playing now it won’t matter. We won’t have a shot at any of these kids.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#19 » by codydaze » Sat Feb 6, 2021 10:44 pm

kb02 wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:

Yeah, not even close to a 3. He's a 5 all the way. I really, really like this kid's game though and I'm not nearly as high on Cade as others are. I don't think he's a bust obviously but just not seeing an exceptionally special player.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#20 » by City of Trees » Sun Feb 7, 2021 12:43 am

Kings find themselves at .500 with almost 1/3 of the season complete. Landing a Top 5 pick is still alive however I don't see it happening without a major injury. I think the Kings finish in the 8-13 range

Return to Sacramento Kings