Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Re: Hawks Starting Frontcourt Dominating 

Post#21 » by Spud2nique » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:17 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wonder if he could get eastern conference player of the week. That would be pretty awesome. I’m gonna guess he’s never gotten that before even as a Rocket. He’s feasting and beasting in the East.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,354

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:29 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wonder if he could get eastern conference player of the week. That would be pretty awesome. I’m gonna guess he’s never gotten that before even as a Rocket. He’s feasting and beasting in the East.

Hopefully big men around the league will take notice of his individual success and feel more comfortable coming here to play alongside Trae.

(Thinking specifically of Giannis, Zion, Embiid, Simmons, Gobert in the coming years.)
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#23 » by Spud2nique » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:34 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hopefully big men around the league will take notice of his individual success and feel more comfortable coming here to play alongside Trae.

(Thinking specifically of Giannis, Zion, Embiid, Simmons, Gobert in the coming years.)

Oh don’t you tease me with Zion. Love that kid.

Oh also Kat, not high on him but offensively paired with Trae would give the defense major issues, of course the other 3 positions would have to be lockdown defenders..ala Cam and Hunter and Clint. Hmm..
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#24 » by Spud2nique » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:29 am

Spud2nique wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Player of the week in the East. :nod:

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:01 am

Read on Twitter
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,454

Post#26 » by Ball4life32 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:55 pm

Capela ranked #1 and Collins ranked #4 in the nba in DRPM so far.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#27 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:50 pm

Get A Capela in!

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#28 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 1, 2021 3:59 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#29 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Feb 7, 2021 5:52 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

HMFFL wrote:Becoming a favorite for sure.
Many Hawk fans didn't know what to expect but if you watched him in Houston you did.

I'm curious if anyone here thinks that Clint's emergence has made John Collins expendable. I know their on-court numbers have been good. But Capela's ability to rebound, block shots, screen and catch lobs are elite level skills on a manageable contract.

I'm leaning towards keeping Capela in that 5 spot for the forseeable future and adding a better passing/shooting/ballhandling PF into the starting lineup next to him on a decent contract.

Or should we consider moving Clint in a trade in search of a star player while his stock is at an all time high?
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#30 » by Spud2nique » Sun Feb 7, 2021 6:10 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

HMFFL wrote:Becoming a favorite for sure.
Many Hawk fans didn't know what to expect but if you watched him in Houston you did.

I'm curious if anyone here thinks that Clint's emergence has made John Collins expendable. I know their on-court numbers have been good. But Capela's ability to rebound, block shots, screen and catch lobs are elite level skills on a manageable contract.

I'm leaning towards keeping Capela in that 5 spot for the forseeable future and adding a better passing/shooting/ballhandling PF into the starting lineup next to him on a decent contract.

Or should we consider moving Clint in a trade in search of a star player while his stock is at an all time high?

Ultimately Okongwu will be our center moving forward in a few years. Flipping Capela at this point might piss Trae off but never say never. I’d listen to offers for sure. Like you said though his stock is at an all time high. It’ll be interesting moving forward but his euro step last night and his little creative moves around the rim is something I NEVER saw in Houston and I watch a ton of Rockets games.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#31 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Feb 7, 2021 6:28 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Ultimately Okongwu will be our center moving forward in a few years. Flipping Capela at this point might piss Trae off but never say never. I’d listen to offers for sure. Like you said though his stock is at an all time high. It’ll be interesting moving forward but his euro step last night and his little creative moves around the rim is something I NEVER saw in Houston and I watch a ton of Rockets games.

All this makes sense, and I credit Capela's acquisition more than any other addition as the reason we're in playoff contention right now. With that said, we're still barely .500 as a team.

If we want to truly contend, we need to add a true top tier player alongside Trae, Hunter and Capela: Either an elite scoring SG or a playmaking PF.

(I'm okay keeping Collins as the PF, but not for anything near the maximum salary, though. Giannis is a max level PF. John Collins is not.)
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Post#32 » by jayu70 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 7:50 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:Ultimately Okongwu will be our center moving forward in a few years. Flipping Capela at this point might piss Trae off but never say never. I’d listen to offers for sure. Like you said though his stock is at an all time high. It’ll be interesting moving forward but his euro step last night and his little creative moves around the rim is something I NEVER saw in Houston and I watch a ton of Rockets games.

All this makes sense, and I credit Capela's acquisition more than any other addition as the reason we're in playoff contention right now. With that said, [b]we're still barely .500 as a team.[/b]

If we want to truly contend, we need to add a true top tier player alongside Trae, Hunter and Capela: Either an elite scoring SG or a playmaking PF.

(I'm okay keeping Collins as the PF, but not for anything near the maximum salary, though. Giannis is a max level PF. John Collins is not.)

For the most of the season, we have played the CORE 5 plus Capela. It would help if the FAs we signed this offseason were actually contributing real minutes.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 655

Post#33 » by D21 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 10:28 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:All this makes sense, and I credit Capela's acquisition more than any other addition as the reason we're in playoff contention right now. With that said, we're still barely .500 as a team.

I think that without all the injuries, it's more of a .600 team, and only their first year together. Keep everybody and you push it to .650 next season
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#34 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 8, 2021 1:29 am

D21 wrote:I think that without all the injuries, it's more of a .600 team, and only their first year together. Keep everybody and you push it to .650 next season

jayu70 wrote:For the most of the season, we have played the CORE 5 plus Capela. It would help if the FAs we signed this offseason were actually contributing real minutes.

Fair enough, but do you guys honestly believe that adding Bogdan, Gallinari and Dunn gives us a legit chance to beat the Clippers, Lakers, Nets or 76ers in a series?

They each have legit, established, two way superstars. We feel more like a Jazz or Nuggets level team at best -- even with our Free Agent additions.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 655

Post#35 » by D21 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 2:01 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
D21 wrote:I think that without all the injuries, it's more of a .600 team, and only their first year together. Keep everybody and you push it to .650 next season

jayu70 wrote:For the most of the season, we have played the CORE 5 plus Capela. It would help if the FAs we signed this offseason were actually contributing real minutes.

Fair enough, but do you guys honestly believe that adding Bogdan, Gallinari and Dunn gives us a legit chance to beat the Clippers, Lakers, Nets or 76ers in a series?

They each have legit, established, two way superstars. We feel more like a Jazz or Nuggets level team at best -- even with our Free Agent additions.

That's certainly right.
I said .600 and .650 for next year because even with injuries, the team was on the verge of taking two more W against BKN, which would have set ATL at the third spot (BKN getting two more L instead of two W). It's not that bad of a record considering their are certainly the only team having all these injuries on their F.A. signed, and even on starters.

Regarding LAC, LAK, BKN and PHI, what I see first is the experience. Their are teams with more experience. Let ATL get this experience and they can improve again. They certainly also have a better coach!
And for UTA, don't forget that they are better than last playoffs, where they played without Bogdanovic, with Conley injured...

Now, I always said that, the roster was not build to make the playoffs like most of the media have said, the roster is build to try to get the home court advantage, even if they won't say such a thing, and even if it could have been better than that (maybe Wood instead of Gallinari, maybe keeping Dedmon,...)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#36 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:00 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#37 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:12 pm

And this dude somehow didn't make the All Star Team...

Read on Twitter

Code: Select all

Capela has been a monster defensively for the Hawks; they are 12.8 points better with him on the floor, ranking him in the 99th percentile, per Cleaning The Glass.

Opposing teams’ offensive stats have been dreadful when Capela has anchored Atlanta’s defense; they’re shooting nearly 7 percentage points worse at the rim, 5.6 percentage points worse in the midrange and 2.6 percentage points worse from 3. He’s averaging over 2 blocks per game, the most in his career, and he’s leading the league with 14.2 rebounds per game. The Hawks still aren’t great defensively as a team (they have the 23rd-best defensive rating), but it’s not because Capela hasn’t done his job.
The Athletic
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,474

Post#38 » by dms269 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:56 pm

I despise everything about the all-star team. Really wish they had set positions they could fill. or even something similar to the mlb, but roster size is an issue I guess.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#39 » by Galloisdaman » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:23 pm

Gallo is starting to look more like himself as well despite coming off the bench. In March he is: 31min-17ppg-6rpg
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#40 » by Spud2nique » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:36 pm

My boy made the cover! :wink:

Return to Atlanta Hawks