2021 Hornets Playoff Watch

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

2021 Hornets Playoff Watch 

Post#1 » by yosemiteben » Tue Feb 9, 2021 2:07 pm

So I guess we're doing this. We're currently in 6th in the East, a half game behind the Pacers.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Re: 2021 Hornets Playoff Watch 

Post#2 » by Braggins » Tue Feb 9, 2021 3:24 pm

They need to take advantage of this short run of easier games and no b2bs coming up.

They just went 5-3 in a 8 game in 13 day stretch with games against Indiana(x2), Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Miami, and Utah. Thats really impressive and puts them in the conversation as a team to keep an eye on. Now they need to build a cushion so they have a little breathing room the next time they run into a stretch of games like that.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,219

Post#3 » by amcoolio » Tue Feb 9, 2021 3:59 pm

If we are going this route we seem to be just fine without Graham and would look for an upgrade at 5 to balance the roster or and/or a shooter wing off the bench
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#4 » by Soul Rebel » Tue Feb 9, 2021 4:07 pm

amcoolio wrote:If we are going this route we seem to be just fine without Graham and would look for an upgrade at 5 to balance the roster or and/or a shooter wing off the bench

Yessah...this is the correct move. Rozier has higher value, but if we are in fact "going in" lets keep Rozier and ship the expiring Graham out to add some size at the 5. Who could we afford that would move the needle and be part of a Graham deal?

My only concern is that Graham's value is not as high currently.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#5 » by Braggins » Tue Feb 9, 2021 4:16 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:
amcoolio wrote:If we are going this route we seem to be just fine without Graham and would look for an upgrade at 5 to balance the roster or and/or a shooter wing off the bench

Yessah...this is the correct move. Rozier has higher value, but if we are in fact "going in" lets keep Rozier and ship the expiring Graham out to add some size at the 5. Who could we afford that would move the needle and be part of a Graham deal?

My only concern is that Graham's value is not as high currently.

The salary works for Graham + Biz for Zubac, but I kind of doubt LA would do that and I definitely wouldn't want to add any 1st rounders to that deal.

Maybe Boston makes a move for Drummond with their TPE and would consider Graham for Robert Williams?
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#6 » by LofJ » Tue Feb 9, 2021 4:20 pm

Graham and Biz for Zubac. They owe us for eating Batum's contract and giving them a starter for free.

Edit: Beaten by Braggins.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#7 » by yosemiteben » Tue Feb 9, 2021 4:37 pm

I'm flip flopping a little, and starting to think it's not so bad about having a +++ backup PG and running Graham off the bench? I'm not sure what the rotation looks like, but if Rozier or Melo goes down and we don't have Graham, I'm not exactly looking to have Monk be a starting guard for us, and even if he did who does that leave to be PG off the bench - Cody Martin?

I think the guard depth we have right now is turning into a luxury, we have built in injury insurance and guys have to fight for PT, which I think keeps them sharp. Obviously if Cody goes down we're pretty f'ed so I like the idea of trading for a big, but I am nervous about what including Graham might do to our guard rotation.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#8 » by Braggins » Tue Feb 9, 2021 5:27 pm

edit - moved
amcoolio

Post#9 » by amcoolio » Tue Feb 9, 2021 5:29 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I'm flip flopping a little, and starting to think it's not so bad about having a +++ backup PG and running Graham off the bench? I'm not sure what the rotation looks like, but if Rozier or Melo goes down and we don't have Graham, I'm not exactly looking to have Monk be a starting guard for us, and even if he did who does that leave to be PG off the bench - Cody Martin?

I think the guard depth we have right now is turning into a luxury, we have built in injury insurance and guys have to fight for PT, which I think keeps them sharp. Obviously if Cody goes down we're pretty f'ed so I like the idea of trading for a big, but I am nervous about what including Graham might do to our guard rotation.

I don't see Rozier or Graham taking it well being benched for Ball
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#10 » by BigSlam » Tue Feb 9, 2021 5:31 pm

How’s is it that 99% of threads on our board, regardless of the topic, end up becoming a fake trade thread?

Especially when there is a stickied thread at the top of the board called “the fake trade thread”?
B B M F 'ers
Braggins
RealGM

Post#11 » by Braggins » Tue Feb 9, 2021 5:32 pm

amcoolio wrote:
Spoiler:
yosemiteben wrote:I'm flip flopping a little, and starting to think it's not so bad about having a +++ backup PG and running Graham off the bench? I'm not sure what the rotation looks like, but if Rozier or Melo goes down and we don't have Graham, I'm not exactly looking to have Monk be a starting guard for us, and even if he did who does that leave to be PG off the bench - Cody Martin?

I don't see Rozier or Graham taking it well being benched for Ball

Grahams going to have to suck it up. He definitely should be coming off the bench and playing significantly fewer minutes.
bravor
Starter
And1: 733

Post#12 » by bravor » Tue Feb 9, 2021 6:00 pm

I would be curious to see the result of a poll to figure out how many here would want some play offs this year or would rather 'tank competitively'
Even if Ball is a very good surprise (for me at least even though i was more worried by the potential family drama), i don't see where the Hornets go from there. Ball is the perfect example of the interest of drafting high, even in a supposedly weak draft.

Lottery picks (on rookie scale contract) are beyond worthy for this team. Especially with Hayward to monitor the youngsters (but also considering the impact of his contract).

Typically thats the topic i would be excited about in two years, after the 2021 and the 2022 draft. But now... ??
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#13 » by yosemiteben » Tue Feb 9, 2021 6:02 pm

I think the tank ship has sailed at this point, if you aren't picking high lottery then there's no point IMO. I see very little difference between picking 10 vs. 17.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#14 » by LofJ » Tue Feb 9, 2021 6:33 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I think the tank ship has sailed at this point, if you aren't picking high lottery then there's no point IMO. I see very little difference between picking 10 vs. 17.

I agree, the top half of the lottery is where the strength of this draft class is. After that outside of a handful of guys that look pretty good in the middle (where we'll be picking) of the 1st, the depth of this draft class is worse than last year in my opinion.

This is one of those years where it's better to be the 8th seed than pick in the back part of the lottery.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,137

Post#15 » by Snidely FC » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:45 pm

TOR leapfrogged us and MIA getting its act together
looks like Top 7 PHI MIL BKN BOS TOR IND MIA already clarifying
leaving only one spot to be contested: #8
who gets that spot: CHA...NYK CHI ATL?
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,391

Post#16 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:45 pm

I'm not as fixated on #8 as I would be in a normal year. The 7th-10th seed are almost a wash this year since all of them will participate in the play-in tournament. If we fall anywhere in there we have a shot, 7/8 do have a slight advantage due to format but no guarantees over 9/10.

I'd love it if the team progressed enough to finish 6th or above, but I don't really care if they end up 8th or 10th so long as they make it to the play-in.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#17 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:09 pm

Good call, forgot about the play-in game. Do teams that make the play-in get excluded from the draft lottery?
amcoolio

Post#18 » by amcoolio » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:16 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Good call, forgot about the play-in game. Do teams that make the play-in get excluded from the draft lottery?

Nope. Technically if the west is good enough we could finish as the 8th seed, play in the play in, lose, and have the 9th or 10th best odds for the lottery.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,391

Post#19 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:19 pm

amcoolio wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Good call, forgot about the play-in game. Do teams that make the play-in get excluded from the draft lottery?

Nope. Technically if the west is good enough we could finish as the 8th seed, play in the play in, lose, and have the 9th or 10th best odds for the lottery.

The fans of cellar teams are going to lose their **** if a play-in team ends up winning the lotto :lol:
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#20 » by Soul Rebel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:01 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:
amcoolio wrote:

The fans of cellar teams are going to lose their **** if a play-in team ends up winning the lotto :lol:

Different sport, but I'm pretty confident that the Rangers did this in the NHL and ended up with a generational talent at #1 w/ LaFreniere.

Return to Charlotte Hornets