DPOY thread

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

DPOY 20/21 season

Rudy Gobert
38%
Ben Simmons
28%
Joel Embiid
3%
Marcus Smart
1%
Myles Turner
6%
Kawhi Leonard
1%
Anthony Davis
2%
Giannis Antetokoumpo
8%
Draymond Green
2%
Other (Dort, Anunoby, Capela, etc.)
11%

Total votes: 335

Whateva
Pro Prospect
And1: 38

DPOY thread 

Post#1 » by Whateva » Tue Feb 9, 2021 5:54 pm

why there isnt a DPOY thread, when its the most important award after the MVP.

So as of now these are the candidates, in no order:
what do you think ? I want to read your opinion:

- Ben Simmons
- AD
- Myles turner
- OG
- Dort
- Smart
- Gobert
- embiid
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Re: DPOY thread 

Post#2 » by kg01 » Tue Feb 9, 2021 5:56 pm

Clint Capela's been doin' some things.
king01 :king:
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,769

Post#3 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Feb 9, 2021 5:57 pm

AD is done here
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,687

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 9, 2021 5:57 pm

how is Simmons a candidate and not Embiid? Does not compute.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#5 » by draftnightsuit » Tue Feb 9, 2021 5:58 pm

Between Simmons and Myles Turner.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,167

Post#6 » by mademan » Tue Feb 9, 2021 5:58 pm

I think this is Gobert in a runaway. 3rd best defense in the league and they fall off a cliff when he sits.
miamiheat319
Veteran
And1: 6,960

Post#7 » by miamiheat319 » Tue Feb 9, 2021 6:02 pm

I'd love to see Dort get it but it might be Myles Turner's turn (er)
NBA Jersey connoisseur
https://youtu.be/k-PaOWxvnz0
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,137

Post#8 » by AdagioPace » Tue Feb 9, 2021 6:04 pm

mademan wrote:I think this is Gobert in a runaway. 3rd best defense in the league and they fall off a cliff when he sits.

people dislike Gobert becaue he looks like a "ballerina with tutù" against Curry,Harden,Dame in the PS but he's still the best defender in the league in terms of carrying a defense over the course of a season.
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,167

Post#9 » by mademan » Tue Feb 9, 2021 6:08 pm

I don't really see the argument for Turner over Gobert. Jazz have a better defense, they're both the anchor of their teams but the Jazz fall off harder when Gobert sits than the Pacers do without Turner. Which is weird cause Favours is at least decent defensively (or has been, havent watched enough this season) whereas the Pacers cant really replace what Turner does when he sits.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,062

Post#10 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue Feb 9, 2021 6:08 pm

AdagioPace wrote:
mademan wrote:I think this is Gobert in a runaway. 3rd best defense in the league and they fall off a cliff when he sits.

people dislike Gobert becaue he looks like a "ballerina with tutù" against Curry,Harden,Dame in the PS but he's still the best defender in the league in terms of carrying a defense over the course of a season.

as a regular szn award, I gotta hand it to him. the guys a beast
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,889

Post#11 » by ItsDanger » Tue Feb 9, 2021 6:09 pm

My problem with this award is that there are variations of a good defender. Gobert is traditional paint defense and Simmons is multiple position on ball defense. Depends on your perspective.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#12 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Feb 9, 2021 6:10 pm

AdagioPace wrote:

Bingo. Gobert is a free ticket to the playoffs the way he erases the option to attack the paint for most of the opponents.

I just don’t see a better regular season defender, Gobert not getting it can only be about voter fatigue.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#13 » by bebopdeluxe » Tue Feb 9, 2021 6:38 pm

ItsDanger wrote:My problem with this award is that there are variations of a good defender. Gobert is traditional paint defense and Simmons is multiple position on ball defense. Depends on your perspective.

Agreed. Simmons anchors a top-3 defense, and it is is versatility that separates him from someone like Gobert, who is more of a "one note Johnny" (although he plays that note extremely well). A case in point was Saturday night - the game with the Nets turned when Doc Rivers put Simmons on Harden to start the 2nd half. He shut Harden down so effectively (at one point forcing Harden to pick the ball up 40 feet from the basket and call a TO) that the game was effectively over.

Simmons may be penalized because he plays with Embiid.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,256

Post#14 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Feb 9, 2021 6:39 pm

1. Gobert
2. Davis
3. Turner

Gobert
Defensive RAPTOR #4 (fivethirtyeight)
Defensive WS #1 (bballref)
Defensive Rating #1 (bballref)
DBPM #13 (bballref)
DRPM #2 (espn)

I do see Gobert in the lead even though people always want a new fancy thing. He's the #1 defensive player on the #3 offense, on a team where the defensive personnel is less than stellar. They run him out there with 2 small guards and Bobo. Royce O'Neal is the only other good defender in the lineup. Well... Mike Conley has been pretty stellar and I do feel like all those guys play hard. But it's built around Gobert. The main reasons why he's good are obvious: tall man with long arm. But Gobert is also so crisp in his rotations, it's a thing of beauty to watch the Stifle Tower shift around the court reacting to different actions.

Davis
Defensive RAPTOR #32 (fivethirtyeight)
Defensive WS #3 (bballref)
Defensive Rating #2 (bballref)
DBPM #5 (bballref)
DRPM #18 (espn)

I had him at #1 earlier in the season, giving him credit for being the defensive star on the #1 ranked defense for a team that had tilted their personnel more towards offense. But when I watch the Lakers, Davis is definitely their best defender, but they do spare him a lot of rim protecting dirty work by trotting out what remains of Marc Gasol for 20 mpg. Davis is a much better defensive player than Gasol at this stage in their careers, but Gasol's main job seems to be to alleviate Davis of some defensive responsibility. Davis is a great defender, and if he wins it it will be well deserved. But his night to night work isn't capturing my attention for the top spot.

Myles Turner
Defensive RAPTOR #3 (fivethirtyeight)
Defensive WS #6 (bballref)
Defensive Rating #10 (bballref)
DBPM #4 (bballref)
DRPM #9 (espn)

Haven't tuned into enough Indiana games, so I don't know if I'm overrating him for the big shot blocking numbers, or underrating him for keeping the Pacers defense average. I have a hard time rating Indiana's overall defensive personnel. When I do watch, I don't find Sabonis to be a bad defender, though he absolutely can't protect the rim like Turner. I instinctively want to ramble on here, but I admit my scouting report on Turner feels out of date.

Other guys who should be in the conversation: Embiid, Giannis, Capela Mitchell Robinson, OG Anunoby, Poetl if he can keeping his minutes up, Simmons, whoever is most responsible for Houston, Dejounte Murray,
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#15 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Feb 9, 2021 6:41 pm

Dort isn’t at this level yet.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,161

Post#16 » by Pelon chingon » Tue Feb 9, 2021 6:42 pm

I would like to see the award split up into perimeter & interior DPOY.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#17 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Feb 9, 2021 6:43 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:how is Simmons a candidate and not Embiid? Does not compute.

I feel like propping up Simmons as some sort of DPOY candidate is basically a coping mechanism for him being just about the worst shooter in the league.

Embiid is very plainly the best defensive piece on the 76ers.
KokoKaizer
Sixth Man
And1: 2,153

Post#18 » by KokoKaizer » Tue Feb 9, 2021 6:44 pm

I think that would be a great idea to sticky mods ;)

RS it's Gobert, without hesitation !
KokoKaizer
Sixth Man
And1: 2,153

Post#19 » by KokoKaizer » Tue Feb 9, 2021 6:44 pm

Pelon chingon wrote:I would like to see the award split up into perimeter & interior DPOY.

You're right :clap:
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#20 » by Catchall » Tue Feb 9, 2021 7:04 pm

Go look at Paul George's and Kawhi Leonard's shooting percentages against Gobert.
Then go look at Domantas Sabonis' shooting percentage against Gobert from this past weekend.
They're all in the 30% range.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to The General Board