ImageImageImageImage

Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,064

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#1121 » by The Real Dalic » Sat Feb 6, 2021 10:00 pm

Good to see we have so many people changing their minds on him a little bit. People were ready to break things on Draft Night.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,816

Post#1122 » by RookieStar » Sat Feb 6, 2021 10:09 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:Good to see we have so many people changing their minds on him a little bit. People were ready to break things on Draft Night.

It's actually a sign of maturity and intelligence. You are allowed to have your opinion/stand before seeing or knowing anything but once presented with evidence to the contrary, a wise person does change their minds.

I also thought Cole was a bad pick at 15th seeing as Maxey and Hampton was still there... but I like it now.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,616

Post#1123 » by Skybox » Sat Feb 6, 2021 11:46 pm

RookieStar wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:Good to see we have so many people changing their minds on him a little bit. People were ready to break things on Draft Night.

It's actually a sign of maturity and intelligence. You are allowed to have your opinion/stand before seeing or knowing anything but once presented with evidence to the contrary, a wise person does change their minds.

I also thought Cole was a bad pick at 15th seeing as Maxey and Hampton was still there... but I like it now.

Ditto. He wasn't my guy either but I'm liking what I'm seeing...Certainty is one of the biggest problems we've had in this country for a while now...If you're not changing your mind on complex things routinely, you're probably not as brilliant as you think (and you're not learning) :D
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#1124 » by MagicFan101 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 11:48 pm

The game seems to slowly be slowing down for him.

I really like how he’s adjusting to a tough situation he has been thrown into.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,649

Post#1125 » by thelead » Sun Feb 7, 2021 9:24 pm

I was for drafting Cole but was worried by the terrible shooting to start. Glad he has turned that around and the other aspects of his game are improving as well. You can’t really expect more out of a mid first round pick.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,922

Post#1126 » by MagicMatic » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:12 pm

thelead wrote:I was for drafting Cole but was worried by the terrible shooting to start. Glad he has turned that around and the other aspects of his game are improving as well. You can’t really expect more out of a mid first round pick.

Yeah, he turned out to be a decent #15 pick. I still don’t believe he has a high ceiling or will never be a starting pg in this league. Glad he is capable of getting minutes and producing off the bench.
MaKiaVeLi7
Senior
And1: 417

Post#1127 » by MaKiaVeLi7 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:05 pm

I want to see Cole playing next to MCW. I think they complement each other's game well and might be a very good defensive guard duo that can make a lot of deflections and disrupt the opponent's offensive rhythm. They can also push the ball effectively afterwards and provide us with easy buckets.

Really looking forward to the return of Cole A. before MCW gets injured agian.
When we ride on our bball enemieZ!
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1129 » by RookieStar » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:54 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2930376-2020-nba-re-draft-where-would-lamelo-ball-james-wiseman-anthony-edwards-go?fbclid=IwAR3n4IrMfGDEMIZ_Hjktz4cwbwe0fUfGJbQgsS1YQnZq6MxibP-ZN7LJASI

More and more validation on Cole’s draft value.

So.. Cole is a lotto player in a redraft huh? That was his projection after all before he got injured and played for the suckiest UNC lineup Ive seen in a while.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1130 » by Skybox » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:11 am

So...when is he expected to play again?
MaKiaVeLi7
Senior

Post#1131 » by MaKiaVeLi7 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:32 pm

Who knows? He is listed as "questionable" since the injury. I expect to see him when we are back from the West, maybe against the Knicks or the Warriors home games.

Shoulder injuries are tricky and players usually feel lingering pain weeks after that. Good thing is that there is no damage and Cole will be back sooner than later.

I think the medical staff must be on the hot seat by now given all the injuries last year and this season. They might try to be extra careful from now on when clearing players to return to basketball activities or play in the real games under heavy minutes restrictions.

WeHam might (and absolutely should) take some heat for the decision to let go/fire the previous medical staff that wasn't all that bad after all. There are a lot of questionable decisions with the current medical team, especially the cases of:

:banghead: Isaac's early return from damaged knee and was it smart to let him play and risk MCL?;
:banghead: Aminu's recurring injuries and setbacks, the decision not to be surgically repaired, and 1 1/2 years of his career/Magic contract were totally wasted;
:banghead: Bamba's constant minor injuries that take him a long time to recover from, his major conditioning issues and covid rehabilitation that was clearly messed up;
:banghead: MCW's ankle/foot troubles that took so long to rehab from;
:banghead: Fournier's constant back spasms for the last 3+ seasons, forcing him to miss so many games and hindering our chances to pump up his trade value now;
:banghead: Gordon's hamstring condition that was not fully healed and the guy was clearly held back for the beginning of the season, minute restrictions and missing games;
:banghead: something was not quite right with Chuma's rehab, he's clearly limited in his movement and jump ability, obviously not at 100% in his athletic capability. Not sure how much of the blame falls on the med staff, but the guy was out rehabbing and getting stronger for almost 2 years and still looks like 34-years old player on his last legs. Still, was cleared to play under minutes restriction again and recently missed multiple consecutive with another knee issue.
and so on & on...

Not saying the med staff is guilty of not preventing players from getting injured, but I start to seriously doubt their ability to make the right decision how to start the injury treatment process and later manage the rehab period. Indications are these new WeHam guys are not so good at that. They were lucky their first year the team was injury-free and we made the playoffs on Vuc's and Ross' backs. After that, these last two years when the minor, lingering or major injuries occurred, their expertise and performance is not something to brag about.

At the same time their job is essential for the team's success as in any team sports.

If our troubles continue and players still get cleared to play full-contact ball and get injured without any collisions or freak situations right after that, it might be time to show the med staff the door followed by the incompetent and lazy WeHam sleeping monster.

I wonder what it would take to bring some of the renowned Suns med guys here and steal some of their expertise and implement their successful procedures? How hard can it be??? One of the major Magic sponsors is AdventHealth after all.
Wishful thinking, I know, I know... :roll:
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1132 » by Skybox » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:51 pm

MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:Who knows? He is listed as "questionable" since the injury. I expect to see him when we are back from the West, maybe against the Knicks or the Warriors home games.

Shoulder injuries are tricky and players usually feel lingering pain weeks after that. Good thing is that there is no damage and Cole will be back sooner than later.

I think the medical staff must be on the hot seat by now given all the injuries last year and this season. They might try to be extra careful from now on when clearing players to return to basketball activities or play in the real games under heavy minutes restrictions.

WeHam might (and absolutely should) take some heat for the decision to let go/fire the previous medical staff that wasn't all that bad after all. There are a lot of questionable decisions with the current medical team, especially the cases of:

:banghead: Isaac's early return from damaged knee and was it smart to let him play and risk MCL?;
:banghead: Aminu's recurring injuries and setbacks, the decision not to be surgically repaired, and 1 1/2 years of his career/Magic contract were totally wasted;
:banghead: Bamba's constant minor injuries that take him a long time to recover from, his major conditioning issues and covid rehabilitation that was clearly messed up;
:banghead: Fournier's constant back spasms for the last 3+ seasons, forcing him to miss so many games and hindering our chances to pump up his trade value now;
:banghead: Gordon's hamstring condition that was not fully healed and the guy was clearly held back for the beginning of the season, minute restrictions and missing games;
:banghead: something was not quite right with Chuma's rehab, he's clearly limited in his movement and jump ability, obviously not at 100% in his athletic capability. Not sure how much of the blame falls on the med staff, but the guy was out rehabbing and getting stronger for almost 2 years and still looks like 34-years old player on his last legs. Still, was cleared to play under minutes restriction again and recently missed multiple consecutive with another knee issue.
and so on & on...

Not saying the med staff is guilty of not preventing players from getting injured, but I start to seriously doubt their ability to make the right decision how to start the injury treatment process and later manage the rehab period. Indications are these new WeHam guys are not so good at that. They were lucky their first year the team was injury-free and we made the playoffs on Vuc's and Ross' backs. After that, these last two years when the minor, lingering or major injuries occurred, their expertise and performance is not something to brag about.

At the same time their job is essential for the team's success as in any team sports.

If our troubles continue and players still get cleared to play full-contact ball and get injured without any collisions or freak situations right after that, it might be time to show the med staff the door followed by the incompetent and lazy WeHam sleeping monster.

I wonder what it would take to bring some of the renowned Suns med guys here and steal some of their expertise and implement their successful procedures? How hard can it be??? One of the major Magic sponsors is AdventHealth after all.

I’m no doctor, but that is an awful lot of bad luck. We expect injuries to be up with short camp, stunted offseason access but wow...seems like maybe the new training staff might be a little too enamored with “cupping” instead of crazy stuff like Physical Therapy :wink:
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,283

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Colew Anthony at #15 

Post#1133 » by pepe1991 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:21 pm

Lot of injuries and blame on doctors and medical stuff is overblown.
Drafting players with higher risk of injury factor due their frame, slim bulid, or flat out drafting and signing injuried players, whoever, played major role in Magic current situation.

Drafting guys like Bamba and Isaac ( or Maker, Bender, Porzingis, Pokusevski....) always comes with significant risk injury. Those guys are people in their early 20s with underdeveloped bodies despite puberty process and body maturation being over for at least couple of years at that point. What teams do, despite many people would advocate to not do- is bulk them up over short period of time. And they apply more ( and in some cases first ) muscle building training to their programs. Muscle building also tends to make them bit more stiffer, mostly because they are sore and tired all the time and that thing along exponentionally raises their risk of injury.
Not to mention working with mechaniclly broken Isaac who probably had huge muscle disbalance from a day they drafted him as he only knew how to land on one foot. It was always ACL waiting to happen.

Okeke was flat out drafted with injury. There is nothing to even talk about it. Somebody who torn ACL will over time experience some discomfort, pain and swelling. People who think ACL is now "joke" should pay attention next time they cut on paper and bleed to see how much discomfrot litte pain makes, let alone whole mechanic of one foot being retooled and reworked.

Fultz injury was fraek accident... but even that needs more context. Fultz has been hurt in one way or another his whole nba career. Magic would never even had a chance to add him if he was not broken in first place. Ofc first injury was shoulder, and never went away, and second is knee. But context is everything. Fultz was never healthy, that's pivotal information to understand how Magic got former 1# pick.

Gordon has anke sprain, i really can't remember was it from mechanical injury or something he sustained before, but it's most basic and common baketball injury. You can drive some conclusions that he had left hamstring injury before, but it's hard to find any logical co-relation between it. Maybe muscle imbalance ? Very hard to tell. Overall when you have high flying player that puts so much pressure every time he leaps, over time being leaper starts working against your health, especially in traffict.

Fournier and back spasm isn't really injury, it's condition and there is no medical "cure" for it. They can stick injestions into him to patch him, but other than rest and reduce inflammation there is nothing that doctors can actually do with him.

Aminu is only player that could be rank in "shady" part of injuries. He had torn meniscus and year later he still can't play. It's safe to assume operation flat out wasn't sucess. But again, we talk about 10 years pro, at age of 30, doing surgery after 700 games of nba games played who did have pre-existing ( like any other nba player) injuries like calf injury, ankle injury... over time it just starts to pile up.

And last it's Anthony, it's is what it is. Literally, 99% of time he is smallest, least muscular player on the floor, his wrackless sytle of play might be appealing to some fans but won't lead toward healthiest career. With injury at college and injury as pro, you can see writing on the wall. But so far it's nothing major, at least since he joined the Magic.

OVerall basketball is contact sport and injuries do happend. But they happend way more often if you choose to target players that have higher risk of injuries. And that's execlly what Magic have done in past. Now they just feel wrath of their decisions.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,340

Post#1134 » by Knightro » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Will miss at least the next 8 games.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1135 » by RookieStar » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:45 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

Will miss at least the next 8 games.

Well... that sucks. I thought it was a shoulder injury but it's his ribs?
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,283

Post#1136 » by pepe1991 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:41 pm

NOT MY COMMENT:

"Apparently during a interview "warzone stream" Anthony sneezed and said it hurt because of the injury — confirming a cracked rib.

It sure looks like somebody lied to the media & fans regarding his injury, and it’s tough to imagine he comes back very soon. A crack is not a break, but there’s little to do but wait for it to heal completely. As a ‘core’ injury, basically everything he does on a basketball court could aggravate it, so it’ll take time to heal then even more time to get back into basketball shape.

It sure would be nice if the media covering the Magic could actually call out the organization for crap like this and/or the laundry list of other shady af things surrounding injuries on this team. There’s little reason to assume they are telling the truth, and it’s way past time for those asking them questions or reporting on the team to take what they say without skepticism.

Isaac’s premature return leading to an ACL tear.
The entire Bamba saga.
Aminu’s botched meniscus recovery.
Now lies (at least of omission, potentially outright) about Cole’s injury.

Wtf is the training staff, coaching staff, and FO doing?"
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,340

Post#1137 » by Knightro » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:43 pm

RookieStar wrote:Well... that sucks. I thought it was a shoulder injury but it's his ribs?

It's his first rib. Pretty common to feel/think it's shoulder pain.

RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1138 » by RookieStar » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:25 am

Knightro wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Well... that sucks. I thought it was a shoulder injury but it's his ribs?

It's his first rib. Pretty common to feel/think it's shoulder pain.

Oh that one. I always assumed its in the stomach area. Wow cole really is/was hammered a lot and still.not getting calls
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,776

Post#1139 » by OrlandoNed » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:44 am

MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:Who knows? He is listed as "questionable" since the injury. I expect to see him when we are back from the West, maybe against the Knicks or the Warriors home games.

and so on & on...

Top to bottom incompetence.
MaKiaVeLi7
Senior

Post#1140 » by MaKiaVeLi7 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:19 am

OrlandoNed wrote:

and so on & on...

Top to bottom incompetence.

Hammond, is that you?
Or maybe Jeff Weltman has joined us here?

Still like & evaluate the injured bodies?!?! :crazy: :crazy:

Return to Orlando Magic