Ant-Man is it

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,973

Re: Ant-Man ain't it 

Post#181 » by zimpy27 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 2:06 am

If you remove his mid-range game and just look at 3s and inside 3 feet then his TS% is a little over 0.55.
He's also being played out of position defensively and looks very good when engaged.

If Edwards was playing on the Warriors right now I think he'd be having very similar stats to Wiggins. This being Wiggins best season to date.

No Edwards is not a finished product yet but he does not look like he will be a bust.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
The411
Pro Prospect
And1: 473

Post#182 » by The411 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:44 am

FNQ wrote:
Quentin wrote:
Alonzo_Morning wrote:
I don't think so

He has a sweet jumper and great mechanics. Maybe the guy was thinking his shot selection is poor? That I agree with...but it's improving.

Yeah if by bad mechanics you mean results, yes, his mechanics have not been great

Havent seen any issue with form that's noticeable, and honestly what really matters is that if he's missing, its somewhat consistent. Like same release point, same form, same issue with the shot (typically on the mark left/right, but off on distance).

Take Wiggins - his form is fine, but he'll bounce a few long shots off heel of the rim off to one side, and thats when you think "Ok, so he's not going to be an elite shooter". I dont think Ant has elite shooting in his future, but can he be a mid 30s+ 3pt shooter? I dont see why not at this point

Most bad shooters have bad mechanics. Edwards is no different. And no it isn't a question of the ball going exclusively. His footwork isn't great and when he shoots his right foot lands further forward than than his left. Far too much torque in his hips.

The other issue is that his shooting motion is far too tight, meaning that he's not shooting with a relaxed shooting stroke.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,842

Post#183 » by life_saver » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:58 am

Edwards decision making has improved a lot in last couple of weeks...He started the season well in first 2-3 games but then struggled badly for a while. He was taking lot of bad shots like long 2's and off-the dribble/stepback 3's in which he isn't good yet..that brought down his efficiency. To make things worse, he was often playing on lineups which really didn't have good shooters or players who can run the offense. That also kinda forced him to take some bad shots.

Now, he has cut down taking those bad shots. Most of the 3's he is shooting now are mainly catch and shoot and isn't settling much for long 2's. At times, he is just so explosive at around the rim and decision making has improved significantly. He is shooting like 33% from 3 for the season now despite having that bad slump in between. He is also now starting instead of coming off the bench (it's not like current Wolves starting lineup is a big upgrade over bench anyways considering KAT is out).

I hope he can build on this. I really wanna see him playing alongside KAT in the starting lineup...they just haven't played together much due to KAT missing most of the season
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,078

Post#184 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 5:50 am

Quentin wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:
Clippers Eric Gordon had more game though. Before injuries got him, I legit thought he was going to be a top 3 shooting guard in the NBA. Shot the 3-ball, drew fouls, dunked on guys heads, had some pick and roll chops. He wasn't an immediate good defender, but I thought he was going to be solid in his prime. He had a decent comeback to become a very impactful player in Houston, but he's definitely a player who had his prime taken away by the injury gods.

Edwards is a little more raw, especially dribbling and shooting the ball. Size wise... Gordon was drafted at 6'3.25 in shoes, 6'9" wingspan, 222lbs. 40 inch vert(!). I don't have a trusted measurement on Edwards. I've heard him listed from 6'4-6'6" in shoes, 6'10" wingpsan., 230lbs.

edwards is skilled hes just a dumbass, and i'm not sure if he thinks its a problem or wants to change that rn.

How is he a dumbass?

Decision making. Discipline in his footwork when he’s shooting, gets distracted easily, isn’t aware enough of what’s happening on the court to communicate well in either end. Some is normal rookie stuff, some is just not knowing hoop well enough yet

He REALLY needs to watch more basketball and train the finer points more. He has the skill set ability and emotional make up to help a team win as a superstar already, and I like his effort
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,501

Post#185 » by DaPessimist » Tue Feb 2, 2021 5:54 am

He's improving. He's a rookie, give it some time.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,739

Post#186 » by Jadoogar » Tue Feb 2, 2021 6:19 am

jamaalstar21 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:I love how there are 8 pages here full of people acting like they watch Timberwolves games.

This is always what's the most special about every T-Wolves thread.
Wolves are 5-15, are you blaming people for not watching the worst team in the league?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#187 » by AbeVigodaLive » Tue Feb 2, 2021 6:25 am

FinnTheHuman wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:
His passing is what's been the brightest aspect of his game during his slump, the fact that you're saying that his playmaking especially worried you is what reveals that you haven't been watching, which is expected of a non-Wolves fan, but then it is also expected to listen to the Wolves fans on this matter instead of sharing uninformed opinions.

Literally every game thread and every post-match analysis on the Wolves board during Ant's cold shooting streak pointed out his passing as the silver lining in the whole mess, so you don't have to believe me, just go and check those threads. Reading the defense and reacting appropriately has been his most consistent skill so far, and it's probably the best proof that his bbiq is pretty high, and bbiq is the best indicator of the ability to improve.

Again... I disagree.

Edwards has had some next-level passing moments... but those have been blips. In fact, after an early four-assist performance where Edwards made some shockingly clever passes, Saunders went out of his way to mention his passing publicly.

Edwards proceeded to take 40 shots over the next two games (15 - 40 fg) with only 2 assists.

Most NBA players can pass to some degree. Some can pass better than others. Some are athletic enough to put themselves and teammates in great spots for those passes.

But they have to be willing to actually pass. There have been moments where Edwards seemed very unwilling to share the ball. In fact, he had a negative TO/A ratio until last night.

Again, maybe last night is more the norm than the anomaly. Only time will tell.

If the sample is small enough, context matters more. He was hitting guys with nice passes in that 40 fg/2 asst period, but they were literally bricking everything. Isn't a surprise when you're playing on an offensively least talented bench unit in the league.

So many excuses for every bad stat.

Anthony Edwards must be the most unlucky player ever.
TheProfessor
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#188 » by TheProfessor » Tue Feb 2, 2021 6:49 am

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Again... I disagree.

Edwards has had some next-level passing moments... but those have been blips. In fact, after an early four-assist performance where Edwards made some shockingly clever passes, Saunders went out of his way to mention his passing publicly.

Edwards proceeded to take 40 shots over the next two games (15 - 40 fg) with only 2 assists.

Most NBA players can pass to some degree. Some can pass better than others. Some are athletic enough to put themselves and teammates in great spots for those passes.

But they have to be willing to actually pass. There have been moments where Edwards seemed very unwilling to share the ball. In fact, he had a negative TO/A ratio until last night.

Again, maybe last night is more the norm than the anomaly. Only time will tell.

If the sample is small enough, context matters more. He was hitting guys with nice passes in that 40 fg/2 asst period, but they were literally bricking everything. Isn't a surprise when you're playing on an offensively least talented bench unit in the league.

So many excuses for every bad stat.

Anthony Edwards must be the most unlucky player ever.

He is playing out of position for the worst team in the league while missing their best player and not to mention that same team somehow manages to play small ball while lacking spacing at the same time :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Edwards honestly may be one of the unluckiest players ever. Minni is definitely trying to screw this kid over in everyway possible.
Blacksheep25
Rookie
And1: 1,310

Post#189 » by Blacksheep25 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 6:58 am

Just watched him in b2b games. Certainly a freaky athlete. Took a few angles where I thought he was sure to be blocked and snuck it in. Very raw, but if he has the heart to work, should be very good.

He should stay away from midrange. Threes or drive. Has a nice stroke from 3 and is dangerous taking it to hoop. The Wolves stink, but they’re athletic. Quick dudes. Quick hands. Can’t figure out why they’re so bad? They don’t do anything really well, which is I guess why they stink, but they are athletic as hell for a bad team. Just a strange team.

Obviously they are really bad atm inside without towns.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,825

Post#190 » by XtremeDunkz » Tue Feb 2, 2021 6:59 am

The kid that openly said he doesn't like basketball very much is having motor issues? Who would have guessed. I really thought they learned their lesson from Wiggins.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Post#191 » by JonFromVA » Tue Feb 2, 2021 7:15 am

I was hoping to see Edwards and Okoro go head to head, but Bickerstaff decided Malik Beasley was the bigger threat.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#192 » by BadWolf » Tue Feb 2, 2021 12:44 pm

Blacksheep25 wrote:Just watched him in b2b games. Certainly a freaky athlete. Took a few angles where I thought he was sure to be blocked and snuck it in. Very raw, but if he has the heart to work, should be very good.

He should stay away from midrange. Threes or drive. Has a nice stroke from 3 and is dangerous taking it to hoop. The Wolves stink, but they’re athletic. Quick dudes. Quick hands. Can’t figure out why they’re so bad? They don’t do anything really well, which is I guess why they stink, but they are athletic as hell for a bad team. Just a strange team.

Obviously they are really bad atm inside without towns.

They're ultrathin upfront is biggest cause. They have KAT who barelybplayed last two years. Then there are some subreplacement value bigs and a bunch of forwards masquerading as PFs.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,377

Post#193 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Feb 2, 2021 1:07 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:I love how there are 8 pages here full of people acting like they watch Timberwolves games.

This is always what's the most special about every T-Wolves thread.
Wolves are 5-15, are you blaming people for not watching the worst team in the league?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app

Nope. I'm "blaming people" for pretending they watch the worst team in the league when they give their opinion in realgm threads about it!
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
bluemj32
Rookie
And1: 938

Post#194 » by bluemj32 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 2:08 pm

This right here, I couldn't imagine not finishing the season. Then going straight to the pros right away.

Very hard to compare this rookie class to any other player/ class.
Da ThRONe wrote:This has been the worse year to be a rookie. No summer league truncated preseason. These young men didn't even get a full college season. Let's pump the brakes on calling these guys out after 18% of the season.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using RealGM mobile app
Rubio9Guy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,318

Post#195 » by Rubio9Guy » Tue Feb 2, 2021 2:48 pm

Lol it's funny because I think he's the kost sure thing the Wolves have had other than KAT in the last 20 years.

He's going to be darn good

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Quentin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,204

Post#196 » by Quentin » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:22 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:
Quentin wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:edwards is skilled hes just a dumbass, and i'm not sure if he thinks its a problem or wants to change that rn.

How is he a dumbass?

Decision making. Discipline in his footwork when he’s shooting, gets distracted easily, isn’t aware enough of what’s happening on the court to communicate well in either end. Some is normal rookie stuff, some is just not knowing hoop well enough yet

He REALLY needs to watch more basketball and train the finer points more. He has the skill set ability and emotional make up to help a team win as a superstar already, and I like his effort

I haven't seen any of that outside of what normal rookies are doing. Doesn't make him a dumbass. To each their own I guess.
I hang out here and mnrubecentral
life_saver
General Manager

Post#197 » by life_saver » Wed Feb 3, 2021 2:26 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:The kid that openly said he doesn't like basketball very much is having motor issues? Who would have guessed. I really thought they learned their lesson from Wiggins.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

when or where exactly is Edwards having motor issues? This seems to be like a comment made by someone who hasn't watched Edwards play.
life_saver
General Manager

Post#198 » by life_saver » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:53 am

It's been 10 games since Edwards has been part of starting lineup...he started season coming off from bench. He is now handling ball more, slowly becoming the primary ball handler of the starting unit (DLo is injured rn). His averages since he became starter - 31 mpg, 17 ppg, 5 rpg, 3.5 apg with shooting splits of 44/34/80. His EFG% since he became starter is 50%. He is now not forcing many bad shots like he was doing during that 2 week stretch in January during which he was really bad. It really didn't help that he was playing alongside with some awful lineups back then but now he is learning and making better decisions with more game time. His scoring arsenal is also quite diverse...can finish comfortably with both hands on his drives.
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,632

Post#199 » by oldshoolballer » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:55 am

the kid is looking much better.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,038

Post#200 » by ItsDanger » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:05 am

TWolves rotations are mostly auditioning for next season contracts/roster. 1st time seeing him play as a pro against the Raps. Good all around scoring skills, even a mid range mixed in. Don't know about first overall but he should be solid pro. Minnesota needs to re-work that roster though. Sometimes less is more.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.

Return to The General Board