Free Agency, Rumors, Thoughts in General 2.0

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,531

Re: Free Agency, Rumors, Thoughts in General 2.0 

Post#1061 » by HornetJail » Mon Feb 8, 2021 5:44 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Shams reporting Noah Vonleh signing with the Nets. Feels minor enough to not need a thread, but significant enough to mention.

called that from a mile away. He's too good not to be on a team, and fits a need

And here I am still saying Batum is better. :wink:

He is, I'm not shocked he's playing decent basketball. He just wasn't worth $27M, and didn't even attempt to care here last year.

MKG is the Charlotte player I'm most surprised hasn't found a home.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,696

Post#1062 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Feb 8, 2021 5:56 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

Meh. I love the guy and wanted so badly for him to work out. But he's so beyond useless offensively. Dallas played him in the playoffs last year because they were desperate and Maxi couldn't guard Kawhi for 40 minutes every night. But just like with RHJ, its really hard to put them on the court because the offense bogs down. Maybe they could play PF for the Wolves--and I think they might should consider it, but if you don't have a center who is a major spacing threat, you are too easy to defend.

Just the wrong era for MKG.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1063 » by LloydFree » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:02 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Shams reporting Noah Vonleh signing with the Nets. Feels minor enough to not need a thread, but significant enough to mention.

called that from a mile away. He's too good not to be on a team, and fits a need

Way too good to not have been on a roster. He's now probably the Nets best rebounder, other than Harden.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,531

Post#1064 » by HornetJail » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:05 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

Meh. I love the guy and wanted so badly for him to work out. But he's so beyond useless offensively. Dallas played him in the playoffs last year because they were desperate and Maxi couldn't guard Kawhi for 40 minutes every night. But just like with RHJ, its really hard to put them on the court because the offense bogs down. Maybe they could play PF for the Wolves--and I think they might should consider it, but if you don't have a center who is a major spacing threat, you are too easy to defend.

A situational piece for sure, kinda have to play him at the 5 offensively, but anywhere from 2-4 defensively. There's definitely a place for him on a bench somewhere.

I'd have him back here in a heartbeat playing a smallball bench lineup instead of Bismack, but clearly JB didn't like him enough to give him the minutes in his first two years.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Texas Chuck

Post#1065 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:49 pm

Sam Amick on the job trying to pump up the market on several Kings players. Selling Philly interest in Bjelica and Celtics interest in Barnes.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#1066 » by Buzzard » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:13 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Sam Amick on the job trying to pump up the market on several Kings players. Selling Philly interest in Bjelica and Celtics interest in Barnes.

The Athletic also reporting the Hawks are listening to Collins offers. They have to pump it up. Of course he gives himself a out by pointing out what I have said several times. Collins is to important to their playoff aspirations. Owner Tony Ressler wants the playoffs badly.

NBA Trade Talk: Nuggets, Hawks and Kings could sway this year’s trade deadline

The John Collins situation in Atlanta will be worth watching as the deadline nears.

Despite the fact that he didn’t come to terms on an extension in the brief offseason, there’s a complicating element that is coming into play: He’s a pivotal part of their team right now. And considering the widely-known reality that the playoffs are a massive priority for owner Tony Ressler & Co., that makes the prospect of trading Collins quite tricky.

No matter how much interest there might be.

Entering Friday’s game against San Antonio, Collins is second on the team behind Trae Young in scoring, second behind Clint Capela in rebounding, second behind Capela in blocks, and third in minutes behind Young and DeAndre Hunter. Even if there was a quality deal to be had that added future assets, his production in the present is so crucial that it appears unlikely that he’ll be on the move. Nonetheless, sources say the Hawks have shown a willingness to listen to offers for Collins (this should surprise no one).

In the macro, where Collins’ choice to turn down an extension worth more than $90 million made it clear that he was looking for a bigger payday than the Hawks are comfortable providing, these dynamics remain the same. Collins, who is a restricted free agent this summer, sees himself as a max player and the Hawks don’t. Still, the fact that they need him right now could win out during their push for the playoffs before the process plays out in the offseason.

https://theathletic.com/2383620/2021/02/12/nba-trade-news-rumors-nuggets-hawks-kings/
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Texas Chuck

Post#1067 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:15 pm

Yeah I don't expect a Collins trade. I don't think any team is going to give up enough to make it worth doing for the Hawks. Better to use him to make a playoff push and then decide in the summer if matching a max offer is what they want to do. If they do, they shouldn't have trouble moving off some other salary if need be.
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,369

Post#1068 » by TD2FutureStar » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:16 pm

Is this a buyer or sellers market?
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,993

Post#1069 » by cl2117 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:26 pm

TD2FutureStar wrote:Is this a buyer or sellers market?

Sellers for sure. Expanded playoff field gives less teams incentive to sell off spare parts ad more reason to push for even a first round exit.

Plus I think with loss of revenue due to COVID that extra playoff money, especially with potential for partially filled arenas, would be really appealing to a lot of organizations.

Think people have been saying for a while it's going to definitely favor the sellers this year.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,369

Post#1070 » by TD2FutureStar » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:13 pm

cl2117 wrote:
TD2FutureStar wrote:Is this a buyer or sellers market?

Sellers for sure. Expanded playoff field gives less teams incentive to sell off spare parts ad more reason to push for even a first round exit.

Plus I think with loss of revenue due to COVID that extra playoff money, especially with potential for partially filled arenas, would be really appealing to a lot of organizations.

Think people have been saying for a while it's going to definitely favor the sellers this year.

Thanks. That makes sense and I hope my team are sellers at the deadline.
Texas Chuck

Post#1071 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:07 pm

Our board is sinking back into partisan hell again. So let me ask as a moderator: is that what you guys want out of this place? It's your board so if it is, so be it I'm gonna step back and let it continue. But if that's not why you come here to discuss transactions, we sure could use your help to self-police a bit please.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,583

Post#1072 » by NYG » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:09 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Our board is sinking back into partisan hell again. So let me ask as a moderator: is that what you guys want out of this place? It's your board so if it is, so be it I'm gonna step back and let it continue. But if that's not why you come here to discuss transactions, we sure could use your help to self-police a bit please.

I personally like predicting what the final version of a trade would appear like based upon GM style/player fit/player value more so than doing the negotiations among no one that has any real life say or control over the real life decision. I hate when it becomes arguing value like you're negotiating what your team is willing to give up for Player X because it's very working against each other to try to win a completely fake trade instead of working together to potentially predict a real trade.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Post#1073 » by babyjax13 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:40 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

Honestly the Lakers not guarding Ronnie Brewer during the playoffs and annihilating Utah kind of spelled the end for this archetype of player (IMO).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#1074 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:51 pm

NYG wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Our board is sinking back into partisan hell again. So let me ask as a moderator: is that what you guys want out of this place? It's your board so if it is, so be it I'm gonna step back and let it continue. But if that's not why you come here to discuss transactions, we sure could use your help to self-police a bit please.

I personally like predicting what the final version of a trade would appear like based upon GM style/player fit/player value more so than doing the negotiations among no one that has any real life say or control over the real life decision. I hate when it becomes arguing value like you're negotiating what your team is willing to give up for Player X because it's very working against each other to try to win a completely fake trade instead of working together to potentially predict a real trade.

I agree that I appreciate local input on what a team is looking for, how they value guys, and what their management is likely to do or how they operate. I absolutely abhor the thought process of "I'm actually negotiating the real deal, and I will come in offering nothing, and expect you to negotiate me up", (The Art of the Deal type stuff). I don't mind at all if someone responds and says "That's a fair offer, but my GM will probably try and push for more, or won't make the deal unless they get a bit of a robbery" though, if it's realistic and accurate.

If that makes sense at all?
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,583

Post#1075 » by NYG » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:24 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
NYG wrote:

I agree that I appreciate local input on what a team is looking for, how they value guys, and what their management is likely to do or how they operate. I absolutely abhor the thought process of "I'm actually negotiating the real deal, and I will come in offering nothing, and expect you to negotiate me up", (The Art of the Deal type stuff). I don't mind at all if someone responds and says "That's a fair offer, but my GM will probably try and push for more, or won't make the deal unless they get a bit of a robbery" though, if it's realistic and accurate.

There's times where GM's like Ainge would consider trading a guy if they got overpaid, but wouldn't actively explore it. That's a reasonable explanation as to why the trade isn't a good fit between those two teams. Things like "My team is still too young to go all in and give up a ton for Player X, but just because my team wouldn't give it up doesn't mean they couldn't get it from someone else" are an informational and constructive way to reject a trade.

I hate "My team would counter with (insert no sh*t your team would make that deal offer)" like you're trying to get a steal in some weird fake negotiation.
Texas Chuck

Post#1076 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:22 pm

Woj reporting Blake Griffin joining Drummond on the list of guys who aren't playing until trade or buy out. Which seems surprising to me because I don't see someone trading for him and he has another big year left on his deal.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#1077 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:24 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Woj reporting Blake Griffin joining Drummond on the list of guys who aren't playing until trade or buy out. Which seems surprising to me because I don't see someone trading for him and he has another big year left on his deal.

I'd love to see him get bought out and come back to the Clippers. He'd be a better use of a roster spot than Reggie Jackson.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,417

Post#1078 » by shrink » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:42 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
NYG wrote:

Well said, guys.

I want to see this board remain a neutral site, where we leave our team fandom at the door, and work collaboratively to come up with the fairest and most reasonable trades we can come up with together.

(... and then watch the actual GM’s do the opposite).
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#1079 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:22 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Woj reporting Blake Griffin joining Drummond on the list of guys who aren't playing until trade or buy out. Which seems surprising to me because I don't see someone trading for him and he has another big year left on his deal.

Maybe those teams are just doing the player a solid? Especially in Griffen’s case. They will try to trade them and if they can the team will buy them out. The player gets to save their body before joining a new team, though buyout or trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,736

Post#1080 » by Diop » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:34 am

Mr B wrote:

Maybe those teams are just doing the player a solid? Especially in Griffen’s case. They will try to trade them and if they can the team will buy them out. The player gets to save their body before joining a new team, though buyout or trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maybe an insane idea on my part, but could it be possible that Griffin decided he has enough money already and would prefer to play for a contender so is considering a buy out?

i mean, he should have just enough to retire on.

Return to Trades and Transactions