2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#61 » by SD2042 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:50 pm

jman3134 wrote:Profile on NBA draft riser Yoan Makounbou: https://bit.ly/2ZkoVDz

Trust me the clips I compiled on this guy are unreal! He is a French big man who is breaking out this season - only 20 years old.

I can see this guy's potential to be a reliable player in the league. He has to continue to build up his game and focus in order for his hard work to pay off. I can see the Clint Capela/DeAndre Jordan references comes into play. I say his worse case scenario could be Mo Bamba/Hasheem Thabeet. Given that he started learning the game in his teens, will he be able to excel in the pros long term through adapting to the quickness of the game itself. With the NBA offense in full speed, will he be able to develop a suitable jumpshot with solid mechanics to be reliable long term.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#62 » by jman3134 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:14 pm

SD2042 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:Profile on NBA draft riser Yoan Makounbou: https://bit.ly/2ZkoVDz

Trust me the clips I compiled on this guy are unreal! He is a French big man who is breaking out this season - only 20 years old.

I can see this guy's potential to be a reliable player in the league. He has to continue to build up his game and focus in order for his hard work to pay off. I can see the Clint Capela/DeAndre Jordan references comes into play. I say his worse case scenario could be Mo Bamba/Hasheem Thabeet. Given that he started learning the game in his teens, will he be able to excel in the pros long term through adapting to the quickness of the game itself. With the NBA offense in full speed, will he be able to develop a suitable jumpshot with solid mechanics to be reliable long term.

Thanks for checking it out! Because I don't have synergy to work with, these reports are taking a lot longer than they used to.

He is more inconsistent with the release point on his jump shot, but that will come with time. He rarely takes three point shots, but isn't embarrassing when he does. At 20, there is plenty of room for growth in this area, but a team wouldn't rely on Capela's three for most of their offense either if they wanted to win games.

The more concerning aspect is the inexperience when it comes to defending pick and rolls. What you have to understand though is that this is his first season playing at the pro A level, and before this he was playing for a junior team that does not come close to the pro level. His minutes have gone up to like 20+ per game and his production is skyrocketing. He was just voted the best young player.

With all that said about his limitations at the moment, the athleticism is supremely elite though, and his overall game can be refined with the proper development coaches. The Grizz are going to need to have this anyway for Ja, Brandon Clarke, JJJ, Bane, and others in the near future. Player development needs to be where we make our money.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#63 » by SD2042 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:27 pm

jman3134 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

Thanks for checking it out! Because I don't have synergy to work with, these reports are taking a lot longer than they used to.

He is more inconsistent with the release point on his jump shot, but that will come with time. He rarely takes three point shots, but isn't embarrassing when he does. At 20, there is plenty of room for growth in this area, but a team wouldn't rely on Capela's three for most of their offense either if they wanted to win games.

The more concerning aspect is the inexperience when it comes to defending pick and rolls. What you have to understand though is that this is his first season playing at the pro A level, and before this he was playing for a junior team that does not come close to the pro level. His minutes have gone up to like 20+ per game and his production is skyrocketing. He was just voted the best young player.

With all that said about his limitations at the moment, the athleticism is supremely elite though, and his overall game can be refined with the proper development coaches. The Grizz are going to need to have this anyway for Ja, Brandon Clarke, JJJ, Bane, and others in the near future. Player development needs to be where we make our money.

Player development is of extreme importance for any team that cares to develop their players for the better of the player and the team's futures in order for the results and success to be realize. Now since this is his first season experienceas a pro, he definitely has to continue building his game overall. Which I believe will come with time. Success is not instant overnight. Hopefully this player will continue to learn the fundamentals of the game so his skills set will benefit in the long term.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#64 » by jman3134 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:31 pm

I am more curious where this guy will go in the draft this year. He has to at least test the waters after this breakout season against grown men in French A. He is college sophomore age, but his performances have been against much more physically developed players. I think he is a probable first rounder.

It absolutely makes sense for both the guys I wrote reports on to come out early. Yannick Nzosa and Jean Montero are going to be the headliners for the 2022 draft and there is much better top end talent internationally from that class. Another name is Ousmanne Dieng. In 2023, Victor Wembanyama is probably the top youth NBA prospect in the world right now. While NBA teams usually have no problems picking out talent, I would say that college breakouts probably get a little bit of priority. So, waiting another year when he's 21 years old (playing in the same role in French A) doesn't really make much sense to me. The same applies to Gui, who would probably be averaging 15ppg+ in a starting role next year. The greatest growth can be achieved through the NBA route.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#65 » by SD2042 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:48 pm

jman3134 wrote:I am more curious where this guy will go in the draft this year. He has to at least test the waters after this breakout season against grown men in French A. He is college sophomore age, but his performances have been against much more physically developed players. I think he is a probable first rounder.

Like Luka Doncic and Tony Parker and how they played with their respective teams overseas. The big thing will depend on the team that drafts him and do right by him to continue to help develop his game. That way both the player and team will experience success in the long term.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#66 » by SD2042 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:52 pm

jman3134 wrote:I am more curious where this guy will go in the draft this year. He has to at least test the waters after this breakout season against grown men in French A. He is college sophomore age, but his performances have been against much more physically developed players. I think he is a probable first rounder.

It absolutely makes sense for both the guys I wrote reports on to come out early. Yannick Nzosa and Jean Montero are going to be the headliners for the 2022 draft and there is much better top end talent internationally from that class. Another name is Ousmanne Dieng. In 2023, Victor Wembanyama is probably the top youth NBA prospect in the world right now. While NBA teams usually have no problems picking out talent, I would say that college breakouts probably get a little bit of priority. So, waiting another year when he's 21 years old (playing in the same role in French A) doesn't really make much sense to me. The same applies to Gui, who would probably be averaging 15ppg+ in a starting role next year. The greatest growth can be achieved through the NBA route.

I will admit, I haven't follow those players as of yet. I will have to look over their profiles and check out their way of play.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#67 » by jman3134 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:00 pm

It isn't necessary at this moment because they are still youth players and not relevant for the 2020 draft (although Wembanyama might be worth your time to see the future of the NBA). My point in bringing them up is the NBA's penchant for drafting 'potential' in youth players over already developed talent. The bar is significantly higher if Yoan gets drafted at age 21 vs. 20. And, for international guys, I feel like there are only so many names that can fill the first rounds in 2022, given the fact that there are 3 guys that are already lotto level and are pretty elite.

For 2020, there is maybe one guy who is considered a surefire 1st from overseas - Usman Garuba. And, he can be eclipsed as a prospect, as he very much projects as a role player at the next level. That is why I think that the unknown names are going to really shake things up at the top of mock drafts late in the game. Gui has international competition for Brazil in U19 coming up in July and should dominate, as he can get his shot at the pro level whenever he wants right now. Yoan is a known commodity, but for some reason isn't mentioned by any of the mainstream mock drafters (because they are super late on prospects). I am getting a super early jump on this.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#68 » by SD2042 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:16 pm

jman3134 wrote:It isn't necessary at this moment because they are still youth players and not relevant for the 2020 draft (although Wembanyama might be worth your time to see the future of the NBA). My point in bringing them up is the NBA's penchant for drafting 'potential' in youth players over already developed talent. The bar is significantly higher if Yoan gets drafted at age 21 vs. 20. And, for international guys, I feel like there are only so many names that can fill the first rounds in 2022, given the fact that there are 3 guys that are already lotto level and are pretty elite.

For 2020, there is maybe one guy who is considered a surefire 1st from overseas - Usman Garuba. And, he can be eclipsed as a prospect, as he very much projects as a role player at the next level. That is why I think that the unknown names are going to really shake things up at the top of mock drafts late in the game. Gui has international competition for Brazil in U19 coming up in July and should dominate, as he can get his shot at the pro level whenever he wants right now. Yoan is a known commodity, but for some reason isn't mentioned by any of the mainstream mock drafters (because they are super late on prospects). I am getting a super early jump on this.

Sometimes the early bird catches the worm. Have you done your own version of mock draft picks based on your own studies in recent memory?
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#69 » by jman3134 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:33 pm

So while I always have followed, this is my first year of functioning as an NBA draft service. Previously, I would break a few prospects and spend a lot of my time on non-D1 guys who would either be headed for the G League or Europe.

This year is entirely different and I am already thinking about my mock. Well, to be fair, it will be a Big Board of the top prospects because we won't know team need until after the season. I also today wrote a piece about what differentiates my scouting services from other NBA draft outlets on the web. I am going to actually market this now and try to gain some traction.

Long story short, I don't have a track record of posting mock drafts (mostly just posting my valuations of individual players). But, that is going to change this year. I should be posting a big board in March or a little sooner.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#70 » by SD2042 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:40 pm

jman3134 wrote:So while I always have followed, this is my first year of functioning as an NBA draft service. Previously, I would break a few prospects and spend a lot of my time on non-D1 guys who would either be headed for the G League or Europe.

This year is entirely different and I am already thinking about my mock. Well, to be fair, it will be a Big Board of the top prospects because we won't know team need until after the season. I also today wrote a piece about what differentiates my scouting services from other NBA draft outlets on the web. I am going to actually market this now and try to gain some traction.

Long story short, I don't have a track record of posting mock drafts (mostly just posting my valuations of individual players). But, that is going to change this year. I should be posting a big board in March or a little sooner.

Sounds good bro. Looking forward to seeing this happen sometime in the future.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#71 » by Whole Truth » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:54 pm

jman3134 wrote:So while I always have followed, this is my first year of functioning as an NBA draft service. Previously, I would break a few prospects and spend a lot of my time on non-D1 guys who would either be headed for the G League or Europe.

I'll be sure to visit & post links. The next Giovani, good luck Jman.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#72 » by VCfor3 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:24 am

I'm pumped to see what all you put out!
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#73 » by jman3134 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:53 am

Thanks guys. Right now I am not focused on the marketing (I think I will get a season under my belt first), but I am trying to put out as much sleeper content as possible. It is a ton of work.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#74 » by E S V L » Mon Mar 1, 2021 3:37 pm

My safe choice is Keyontae Johnson. 6-5, 6-11 wingspan, good on defense, solid frame, strong body, surprisingly light on legs, agile, nice first step. If we pick in the range of #20-30 - should be our guy.
FK NFL
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#75 » by jman3134 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 9:18 pm

E S V L wrote:My safe choice is Keyontae Johnson. 6-5, 6-11 wingspan, good on defense, solid frame, strong body, surprisingly light on legs, agile, nice first step. If we pick in the range of #20-30 - should be our guy.

Not sure if you have been following, but I would give it close to 0% chance he is in this year's draft. After his collapse on the court, there is a chance he won't play again. While the latest update is that his myocarditis wasn't from covid-19, this means that there is likely another cause that has not been disclosed. From scanning medical literature, it seems to be something that can happen from medication. In order to rule out covid, they must be aware of another cause (or covid can't be ruled out bc his entire team had it). Maybe there is some kind of rare genetic anomaly. Either way, I do not anticipate that this will be good for his basketball future.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#76 » by E S V L » Mon Mar 1, 2021 9:30 pm

jman3134 wrote:
E S V L wrote:My safe choice is Keyontae Johnson. 6-5, 6-11 wingspan, good on defense, solid frame, strong body, surprisingly light on legs, agile, nice first step. If we pick in the range of #20-30 - should be our guy.

Not sure if you have been following, but I would give it close to 0% chance he is in this year's draft. After his collapse on the court, there is a chance he won't play again. While the latest update is that his myocarditis wasn't from covid-19, this means that there is likely another cause that has not been disclosed. From scanning medical literature, it seems to be something that can happen from medication. In order to rule out covid, they must be aware of another cause (or covid can't be ruled out bc his entire team had it). Maybe there is some kind of rare genetic anomaly. Either way, I do not anticipate that this will be good for his basketball future.

That’s unfortunate. Thanks. What about Scottie Lewis?
FK NFL
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#77 » by jman3134 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 10:45 pm

I have always loved Scottie Lewis' game, though I haven't watched him as much as I would have liked this season. He still has the prototypical three and D body and possesses elite athleticism to make a name for himself. I love his game, but I don't think he has flashed enough on offense to merit a 1st round pick in this stacked draft class (though his talent is lottery level). Hence, there has been a mini debate whether he will withdraw this year or stay and possibly play with Keyontae (if he is cleared) on a stacked Florida roster. I would love to have him if we have the right player development coaches in place. Maybe nab him with the late 1st, though I would risk it and try for him in the 2nd as long as his stock remains this depressed.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#78 » by jman3134 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 2:19 am

I profile Ibou Badji, another international prospect with limited game film (it is worth it to view the whole report to see the blocks :o ):

In Part 3 of "Circling the Globe", I profile Ibou Dianko Badji. Badji is the quintessential 'draft and stash' player with enormous upside stemming from his gargantuan physical profile, coupled with an underrated developing skillset. While Fran Frascilla's patented "two years away from being two years away" billing is particularly apt in this case, Badji has only been playing basketball for the last four to five years (since 2016), so his current pace of development portends a bright future if he puts in the work. While Badji's core competencies as a prospect can be summarized in about a paragraph, this report will dig deep into his development process, providing you with a window into his improvements over the course of this season and ultimately pro basketball's vision for where he might be down the road.

On the qualitative side, some have called into question Badji's love for the game, considering the fact that he only started playing in 2016 at the behest of his dad (who played), after initially wanting to continue with soccer (LINK). However, the pace of his development has been rather remarkable considering this fact, and the progress he has made in the last year suggests that he is working hard on his game. Importantly, while he spent a lot of time ball watching on defense in the FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup, his defensive activity level has improved considerably this season. On Barca's B team, he incrementally grew with each game, and this culminated in him now playing with Barcelona in Euroleague, as well as with Senegal in the Afrobasket Qualifiers. While he still has a long way to go to receive minutes at the highest level, considering how new Badji is to the game, I would not place too much stock into these concerns.

http://jtmbasketball.blogspot.com/2021/03/circling-globe-part-3-ibou-dianko-badji.html
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#79 » by jman3134 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 6:44 am

Largely unknown Malagasy prospect Sitraka Raharimanantoanina (who plays for Elan Chalon's U21):

In my fourth edition of 'Circling the Globe', I profile Elan Chalon U21's own Sitraka Raharimanantoanina, a positionless Malagasy player with a versatile enough skillset to take his game to another level in the coming years. While he still is very much a developmental prospect for the next level, Sitraka's 6'9 (or 6'10) size, length, long speed, athleticism, and fluidity suggest that the future is very bright. Though I have no indication that he will opt to apply for the NBA draft this year, his physical profile is certainly that of a top level pro in the making.

In terms of his offensive tendencies, Sitraka is a player that thrives in transition. On tape, he is almost always the first player down the floor, which bodes well for his ability to adjust to the heightened pace of play at the NBA/G League level. At 6'9, he possesses great long speed, solid strides, and has a serviceable enough handle to blow by his man on the break.

https://bit.ly/2OsZ9us
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#80 » by SD2042 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 1:20 am

jman3134 wrote:Largely unknown Malagasy prospect Sitraka Raharimanantoanina (who plays for Elan Chalon's U21):

In my fourth edition of 'Circling the Globe', I profile Elan Chalon U21's own Sitraka Raharimanantoanina, a positionless Malagasy player with a versatile enough skillset to take his game to another level in the coming years. While he still is very much a developmental prospect for the next level, Sitraka's 6'9 (or 6'10) size, length, long speed, athleticism, and fluidity suggest that the future is very bright. Though I have no indication that he will opt to apply for the NBA draft this year, his physical profile is certainly that of a top level pro in the making.

In terms of his offensive tendencies, Sitraka is a player that thrives in transition. On tape, he is almost always the first player down the floor, which bodes well for his ability to adjust to the heightened pace of play at the NBA/G League level. At 6'9, he possesses great long speed, solid strides, and has a serviceable enough handle to blow by his man on the break.

https://bit.ly/2OsZ9us

And I thought Giannis's last name was hard to pronounce at first. This guy's last name is a challenge for the ages.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies