ImageImageImage

Activity in trade talks until the trade deadline

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

How aggresive should Dallas be on the trade market until the trade deadline (March 25th)?

1 - Completely passive (i.e., no discussions, nobody is made available in trade talks)
No votes
15%
15%
19%
5 - Completely aggressive (i.e., everyone except for Luka is made available in trade talks)
50%

Total votes: 26

preldzic
Junior
And1: 345

Activity in trade talks until the trade deadline 

Post#1 » by preldzic » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:51 am

I felt like the Mavs were not as active on the trade market in the offseason as they should have been. Or trading Curry for Richardson hasn't worked as well as they thought. Or both.

I am not sure how active they should be leading to the trade deadline (March 25th), but at some point they clearly need to put together a team with more talent to be competitive against the top 4-6 teams in the West.

There are a few interesting players who have been made available in trade talks and/or will be bought out. Some of them might be a good fit for the existing roster.

So how aggressive should the Mavs be in the upcoming weeks? Please explain why and comment on whether any potential moves should be to win-now or to win in the next couple of seasons.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,333

Re: Activity in trade talks until the trade deadline 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:03 am

I think it all depends on what they want to do with KP, if they want to give it more time, there's not much they should do, if they want to explore other options, they should be very aggressive, the missing piece is another all star level player, and clearly they are targeting FA for that.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,979

Post#3 » by Apz » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:32 am

Who are those intresting players thats made availBle in trade talks/buyouts?If its the usual susoects I would put it down to "1", zero intrest in them. If someone actually intresting would be available, go for it, but havent heard of any tbh
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#4 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:41 pm

It was my understanding that Curry wanted to be traded to Philly, so his wife could be closer to Doc Rivers, and family.
We knew what we would be giving up when we traded Seth.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:39 pm

Hassan Whiteside came off the bench and hit 12-of-15 shots and 2-of-2 free throws for season highs of 26 points, 16 rebounds and five blocks in 24 minutes on Monday. 

Richaun Holmes missed this game with a knee injury and while Marvin Bagley started at center, Whiteside did a ton of damage off the bench. The Kings don't seem to have much interest in using Whiteside effectively or trading him, meaning he's going to take a big hit once Holmes is back. But if Holmes misses another game or two, firing Whiteside up in DFS makes sense. 

Feb 16, 2021, 12:40 AM ET

Not bad for only signing 1 year / $2,320,044. The issue is he puts up numbers but that doesn't mean he's defending well. Low risk if we can trade for him.

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,813

Post#6 » by dirkforpres » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:50 pm

I would say it’s a 4. Obviously they have Luka as an untouchable, but I think everyone else is at least made available for the right price.

Dallas absolutely has to be calling for big man help and a way to add a perimeter threat. I wonder if there is a way to acquire Redick and Adams... or maybe Fournier/Bamba.

Literally any help in rebounding or shooting (or both) would be wecomed
FIRE JASON KIDD
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Re: RS 20/21 - Mavs vs Pistons (Wed, 7:30PM EST) 

Post#7 » by ejs78 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:12 pm

HMFFL wrote:Hassan Whiteside came off the bench and hit 12-of-15 shots and 2-of-2 free throws for season highs of 26 points, 16 rebounds and five blocks in 24 minutes on Monday. 

Richaun Holmes missed this game with a knee injury and while Marvin Bagley started at center, Whiteside did a ton of damage off the bench. The Kings don't seem to have much interest in using Whiteside effectively or trading him, meaning he's going to take a big hit once Holmes is back. But if Holmes misses another game or two, firing Whiteside up in DFS makes sense. 

Not bad for only signing 1 year / $2,320,044. The issue is he puts up numbers but that doesn't mean he's defending well. Low risk if we can trade for him.

If they had the chance take Holmes over Whiteside. There's a reason why Whiteside got the minimum like you said.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#8 » by Mike lorenzo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:37 pm

I guess Johnson expiring + something (rookie) will be changed ... Drummond / Porter / Bertans / Ellington / Hill / Mcgee etc ...
I guess they will be on the table.
Personally, I would like something more in the long term. Gordon would fit very well in my opinion. He can play the role of Powell when healthy, playing inside and catching Luka's balloon, with KP on the line.
On defense you can switch to the perimeter.

Johnson + Green + Brunson I guess they would
1+1=11
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,387

Post#9 » by gottamakeit » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:16 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:I guess Johnson expiring + something (rookie) will be changed ... Drummond / Porter / Bertans / Ellington / Hill / Mcgee etc ...
Personally, I would like something more in the long term. Gordon would fit very well in my opinion. He can play the role of Powell when healthy, playing inside and catching Luka's balloon, with KP on the line.

Johnson + Green + Brunson doesn't seem like enough value for Orlando. I think they'd ask for all that plus a 1st rounder & a pick swap.
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#10 » by Mike lorenzo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:31 pm

gottamakeit wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:I guess Johnson expiring + something (rookie) will be changed ... Drummond / Porter / Bertans / Ellington / Hill / Mcgee etc ...

Johnson + Green + Brunson doesn't seem like enough value for Orlando. I think they'd ask for all that plus a 1st rounder & a pick swap.

According to rumors I think, that Orlando, ask for 2 1 rounds + 1 expiring ... this summer.
I do not think that his value has increased, he is injured and the contract is less durable ..
Brunson I suppose it should be worth (at least) 1 late.
Green is a recent 1 round.
Maybe a change..another selection seems excessive
1+1=11
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#11 » by JD45 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:15 pm

I have to keep reminding myself there is a lot of season left. Even with the recent wins, I am a bit discouraged by the team.

So, I think they should be looking for trades aggressively. THJ, JRick and JJ should be main chips. Maxi, DFS and Brunson next. Then KP. Of course the rookies where needed, but not for anyone over 30 unless the Mavs get picks to take them.

I don't know how Luka would react, but I wouldn't oppose just blowing it up and roll into next year with a lineup of Terry, Green, Luka, Bey and KP and go for the draft pick. Use all their vets to trade for other draft picks that they might could package and move up to get a potential 3rd star.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#12 » by DBoys » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:12 pm

Any trade for a "win now" purpose - ie, trading what they can be later for a better finish this season - is really counter-productive. I know many fans want something that will make the team better immediately, and don't care about later, but I wouldn't expect the Mavs to share that pov.

If there's a player made available who can make a significant upgrade, I'm sure they will weigh the cost. Otherwise, not so much.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,999

Post#13 » by Mr B » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:38 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: RS 20/21 - Mavs vs Pistons (Wed, 7:30PM EST) 

Post#14 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:26 am

ejs78 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Hassan Whiteside came off the bench and hit 12-of-15 shots and 2-of-2 free throws for season highs of 26 points, 16 rebounds and five blocks in 24 minutes on Monday. 

If they had the chance take Holmes over Whiteside. There's a reason why Whiteside got the minimum like you said.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Holmes is on my list off-season list for us to sign. I just hope management intends to pursue him.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#15 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:28 am

Mr B wrote:Image

Good to know that we're interested.
The problem is, Brooklyn, LA Lakers, Boston, and more will pursue him.

Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#16 » by Bluelabel24 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:07 am

what about this rumor?

Dallas Mavericks Receive: F Kevin Love, F Dylan Windler
Cleveland Cavaliers Receive: C James Johnson, G Tim Hardaway Jr, DAL 2021 2nd Round Pick, DAL 2022 1st Round Pick

for that package id prefer Kevin Love over Drummond.. Love is still a pretty good rebounder ofc hes no drummond, but that floor spacing would help a lot
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#17 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:15 am

Bluelabel24 wrote:what about this rumor?

Cleveland Cavaliers Receive: C James Johnson, G Tim Hardaway Jr, DAL 2021 2nd Round Pick, DAL 2022 1st Round Pick

for that package id prefer Kevin Love over Drummond.. Love is still a pretty good rebounder ofc hes no drummond, but that floor spacing would help a lot

No thanks

Kevin Love
2020-21: $31,258,256
2021-22: $31,258,256
2022-23: $28,942,830

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,999

Post#18 » by Mr B » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:34 am

Do they really need someone else to space the floor? Seems like they’ve had more success at attacking the mid-range. Run some isolation plays for KP. Post him up more. With his height, ability to shoot, and his ability to use the glass he would look light years better than he has looked. Then he can mix in the 3. His bread and butter should be in the post though.

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#19 » by Mavrelous » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:55 am

for that package id prefer Kevin Love over Drummond.. Love is still a pretty good rebounder ofc hes no drummond,ut that floor spacing would help a lot

Horrible, absolutely horrible.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#20 » by Mavrelous » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:33 am

Mr B wrote:Image

If he's bought out, he's going to the Nets, Mavs would be his 2nd option, in both teams he'll have the opportunity to record huge amount of rebounds and 20PPG with great efficiency just finishing what Irving and Harden/Luka give him with their penetration.

Return to Dallas Mavericks