Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,077

Re: 2020-21 Around The NBA Thread 

Post#341 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:14 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
thedoppelganger wrote:Feel like the tanking wars haven't even started yet, except maybe Detroit getting a head start. It'll be interesting to see who the other sellers are at the trade deadline, can't imagine the Wolves are in that group unless someone way overpays for Beasley.

I might be a bit too glass half full, but I'd bet we end up with a worse record than them at the end of the year assuming they have no other major injuries and we make a couple of the expected trades by the deadline. Edwards has looked much better since being placed in the starting lineup, thankfully. The East is what concerns me though.

I would never made that bet but agree that we still have a remote chance.

Feel like somehow between bottom 2 to 10 it's pretty open. Pistons are almost a lock for terrible seed but Wizards and Wolves have remote chances of improving. I'm scared about Houston in the West and some garbage teams from the East (Cavs, Orlando)

Remembering that this is a 72 game season makes the situation more urgent. I just don't see how we catch Minnesota. Even if we get worse, they'll likely continue to be bad. They are pretty hopeless. Orlando is another dark horse team that could out tank us if we are careful. I just don't see how get get that much worse. We've continued to play competitive basketball while missing Shai, Al and George Hill. This team just has too much fight.

yeah we need guys like Shai & Dort to underperform for the rest of the season to get a shot (and I don't want SGA to have a bad season). Best case scenario we will trade Hill & Muscala for crap, which isn't enough. I still give the Wolves a chance to finish ahead of us because KAT just came back and their young guys are playing much better... but yeah it's still pretty unlikely.
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#342 » by thedoppelganger » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:15 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
thedoppelganger wrote:Feel like the tanking wars haven't even started yet, except maybe Detroit getting a head start. It'll be interesting to see who the other sellers are at the trade deadline, can't imagine the Wolves are in that group unless someone way overpays for Beasley.

I might be a bit too glass half full, but I'd bet we end up with a worse record than them at the end of the year assuming they have no other major injuries and we make a couple of the expected trades by the deadline. Edwards has looked much better since being placed in the starting lineup, thankfully. The East is what concerns me though.

I would never made that bet but agree that we still have a remote chance.

Feel like somehow between bottom 2 to 10 it's pretty open. Pistons are almost a lock for terrible seed but Wizards and Wolves have remote chances of improving. I'm scared about Houston in the West and some garbage teams from the East (Cavs, Orlando)

Remembering that this is a 72 game season makes the situation more urgent. I just don't see how we catch Minnesota. Even if we get worse, they'll likely continue to be bad. They are pretty hopeless. Orlando is another dark horse team that could out tank us if we are careful. I just don't see how get get that much worse. We've continued to play competitive basketball while missing Shai, Al and George Hill. This team just has too much fight.

Your point that we have too much fight is my biggest concern about where we end up. When teams actually show up and try for a majority of the game, they beat us almost every time. Some contenders see what we're rolling out there and decide to sleepwalk the whole time, and usually win (LAL, DEN recently), but this has been the cause of too many losses (MIL, BRK, PHX).

I don't blame teams for going through the motions this time of year in a season like this where they're stuck in their hotel rooms the whole time. My hope/guess is that teams get more focused and show up more consistently the second half of the season.

Getting guys like Poku, Jerome, and Brown back from the G League bubble in a few weeks will be a big help too. Want to see each of them getting 15+ minutes a game :nod:
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#343 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:30 am

Glad SGA was ranked higher than Morant amongst players (and tied with CP3).
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#344 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:44 pm

Kind of surprised the rockets are doing this.
Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#345 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:56 am

ThunderBolt wrote:Kind of surprised the rockets are doing this.
Read on Twitter

Don't understand this at all. They bet on a guy coming from severe injuries and he was doing pretty well. At least they could have traded him and got some decent asset in return I guess. Well Houston clearly doesn't care about winning...
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#346 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:00 pm

Despite their horrendous start, the Wizards are only 2.5 games out of the 8th seed and 1.5 games away from the play in. It wouldn't surprise me to see them as buyers at the deadline. Horford would help them immensely. Unfortunately they don't have a great option for matching salary to send back. If Bertans will continue to struggle, that could help our case. Hill could also be a possibility for them too.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
thedoppelganger
Senior

Post#347 » by thedoppelganger » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:04 am

Would’ve been nice if they’d done this earlier, but still this is a big help. Saunders has been abysmal especially at end of games
Read on Twitter
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#348 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:47 pm

thedoppelganger wrote:Would’ve been nice if they’d done this earlier, but still this is a big help. Saunders has been abysmal especially at end of games
Read on Twitter

It's crazy to hire his replacement midseason like two minutes later.

Read on Twitter
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#349 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:26 pm

I still think Hill could be a piece they want. He isn't the crown jewel they are looking for but would provide depth.

Read on Twitter
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#350 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:42 am

Rockets are a disaster. They can't compete right now and gonna have 42%+ for that pick to be top 4.

Really hope Oladipo and Wood can come back soon enough but don't think they care about winning games.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#351 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:45 am

ThunderBolt wrote:I still think Hill could be a piece they want. He isn't the crown jewel they are looking for but would provide depth.

Read on Twitter

No idea if George Hill is underrated or I just like him too much. He could really help a contender and is pretty good fit almost everywhere.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#352 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:13 am

Dadouv47 wrote:Rockets are a disaster. They can't compete right now and gonna have 42%+ for that pick to be top 4.

Really hope Oladipo and Wood can come back soon enough but don't think they care about winning games.

They’ll get better. Let them rack up the L’s now.
thedoppelganger
Senior

Post#353 » by thedoppelganger » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:12 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Rockets are a disaster. They can't compete right now and gonna have 42%+ for that pick to be top 4.

They’ll get better. Let them rack up the L’s now.

Agreed. And if they do end up in the top 4, they’d be the easiest team for us to trade up with given their picks we own are more valuable to them than any other team.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#354 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:44 pm

Not sure what KP’s value is, but I could see Dallas calling okc.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#355 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:34 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Not sure what KP’s value is, but I could see Dallas calling okc.

Don't want to gamble on him. Long contract and injury prone. Dallas won't send us real assets anyway.
thedoppelganger
Senior

Post#356 » by thedoppelganger » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:36 pm

Read on Twitter

The Wolves are cursed. Silver better rig the lottery so GS doesn't get the 4/5 pick.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#357 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Mar 1, 2021 1:09 am

I’m surprised houston offered an extension.
Read on Twitter
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#358 » by jake_swivel » Mon Mar 1, 2021 1:47 am

ThunderBolt wrote:I’m surprised houston offered an extension.

That would have been a very tradeable contract.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#359 » by jake_swivel » Mon Mar 1, 2021 11:00 am

By the way, the rockets are full on tanking and we aren’t gonna get that pick.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#360 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 11:06 am

jake_swivel wrote:By the way, the rockets are full on tanking and we aren’t gonna get that pick.

pretty much why I started to root for them to win games in a while :(

Miami winning a lot of games and the East is so bad that they will probably end with a top 4 seed.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder