DPOY thread

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

DPOY 20/21 season

Rudy Gobert
38%
Ben Simmons
28%
Joel Embiid
3%
Marcus Smart
1%
Myles Turner
6%
Kawhi Leonard
1%
Anthony Davis
2%
Giannis Antetokoumpo
8%
Draymond Green
2%
Other (Dort, Anunoby, Capela, etc.)
11%

Total votes: 335

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: DPOY thread 

Post#141 » by stitches » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:18 am

VanWest82 wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:Not saying he is the DPOY or anything but Poeltl I think has at least entered the conversation. He isn't getting as many minutes as he should yet but his defense has been pretty staggering. I saw a graphic during the last game that he was the leader in OPPFG% at like 39% with him guarding them or something. I'm sure that's changed by now but just wanted to show some love to an under appreciated big man

Jak has the best defensive tracking stats and the best net defensive on/off in the league. He really needs to play more.

I have not watched a lot of Spurs this year. Why is he not playing more?
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,235

Post#142 » by PhilBlackson » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:21 pm

Legit wondering has Kawhi even been that good defensively this season?!

Because other than the occasional possession here and there, I can't remember really seeing Kawhi lockdown or really put a ton of effort into defending since his Spurs' days...and most of the time he's just playing passable defense but certainly nothing near as locked in and consistent as a lot of the top names.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,285

Post#143 » by Bornstellar » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:06 pm

stitches wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:Not saying he is the DPOY or anything but Poeltl I think has at least entered the conversation. He isn't getting as many minutes as he should yet but his defense has been pretty staggering. I saw a graphic during the last game that he was the leader in OPPFG% at like 39% with him guarding them or something. I'm sure that's changed by now but just wanted to show some love to an under appreciated big man

Jak has the best defensive tracking stats and the best net defensive on/off in the league. He really needs to play more.

I have not watched a lot of Spurs this year. Why is he not playing more?

Combo of him starting off the bench (LMA has been out for awhile now with a mysterious hip injury) and him being really foul prone to start the year. If LMA is out for an extended time or Spurs end up trading him and Jak remains as the starter I would expect him to be playing 30mpg or so
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,285

Post#144 » by Bornstellar » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:39 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:Legit wondering has Kawhi even been that good defensively this season?!

Because other than the occasional possession here and there, I can't remember really seeing Kawhi lockdown or really put a ton of effort into defending since his Spurs' days...and most of the time he's just playing passable defense but certainly nothing near as locked in and consistent as a lot of the top names.

Kawhi has not been a consistent defensive stalwart since the 2017 season, imo. He turns it on here and there but he is nowhere prime Klaw on D
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,235

Post#145 » by PhilBlackson » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:23 pm

Bornstellar wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:Legit wondering has Kawhi even been that good defensively this season?!

Kawhi has not been a consistent defensive stalwart since the 2017 season, imo. He turns it on here and there but he is nowhere prime Klaw on D

Yeah figured as much because when he was on the Raptors I was able to watch all his games and he'd lock occasionally key moments in a game but for the most part actually didn't exert much effort defensively. He wasn't awful but certainly nowhere near as you say "prime" *defending* Kawhi was.

I just say that because I think there are other players far more worthy of being on the list imo and wasn't sure if I had just not caught enough Clips games this season n maybe he had started to prioritize it again.

At this point his consideration seems to be bawer more on reputation and potential than actually production.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,591

Post#146 » by Son Goku 25 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:37 pm

OG Anunoby
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,674

Post#147 » by VanWest82 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:56 pm

Son Goku 25 wrote:OG Anunoby

niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,213

Post#148 » by niQ » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:59 pm

VanWest82 wrote:

Really hope OG gets some consideration for an All-Defense team this year.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,674

Post#149 » by VanWest82 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:05 pm

niQ wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:

Really hope OG gets some consideration for an All-Defense team this year.

It's really hard for a wing to win DPOY but OG definitely deserves to be all defense. Few guys are even taking on the assignments night to night that he is, and now he's basically playing center...unless of course we need him to guard someone like Bradley Beal in which case he'll do that too.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#150 » by lobosloboslobos » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:40 pm

This is not bad :o

vini_vidi_vici wrote: In those 2 games vs the Bucks, Middleton/Giannis shot a combined 2/14, 5 TOVs and 9 total points, when matched up with OG.
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,443

Post#151 » by Jables » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:49 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:how is Simmons a candidate and not Embiid? Does not compute.

I feel like propping up Simmons as some sort of DPOY candidate is basically a coping mechanism for him being just about the worst shooter in the league.

Embiid is very plainly the best defensive piece on the 76ers.

Framing it as a coping mechanism only shows how little you've watched them, Simmons is an amazing defender and has had a very real impact on winning games solely on the defensive end.
penggemar
Sophomore
And1: 161

Post#152 » by penggemar » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:51 am

The most versatile defender - Nic Batum
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#153 » by lobosloboslobos » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:52 pm

penggemar wrote:The most versatile defender - Nic Batum

Not sure about this year, but last year statistically OG Anunoby was the most versatile defender in the NBA.

While being in the 94th percentile is impressive, it's Anunoby's versatility that makes him truly special in isolation. Of players with a minimum of 2000 possessions, Anunoby led the NBA this season in Versatility, a stat created by Krishna Narsu that attempts to measure how often a player defends different positions. He played 24% of his time defending small forwards, another 24% of his time on shooting guards, 22% of his time on power forwards, and 16 and 13 percent of his time defending point guards and centers, respectively.

https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/is-og-anunoby-the-best-isolation-defender-in-the-nba
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#154 » by Spud2nique » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:50 am

Ahhhhh excuse me but where the hell is Capela? :roll: I’m appalled! I’m utterly appalled. :nonono:
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#155 » by The_Hater » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:16 pm

Watching him last night, I think Simmons is the best perimeter defender in the league by a fairly large margin.

He can guard anyone. He’s a great team defender. He can switch onto and guard big men. He gets his hands on and deflects a million passes and he forces players into terrible shots. I like OG’s similar versatility with the Raps, but Simmons is just flat out better.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,591

Post#156 » by Son Goku 25 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:22 pm

The_Hater wrote:Watching him last night, I think Simmons is the best perimeter defender in the league by a fairly large margin.

He can guard anyone. He’s a great team defender. He can switch onto and guard big men. He gets his hands on and deflects a million passes and he forces players into terrible shots. I like OG’s similar versatility with the Raps, but Simmons is just flat out better.

Ya

Simmons and then OG as top and most versatile defenders in the league
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,767

Post#157 » by HotelVitale » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:26 pm

The_Hater wrote:Watching him last night, I think Simmons is the best perimeter defender in the league by a fairly large margin.

His size and speed allows him to really mess with perimeter scorers, he gets seriously up in their space to harass the ball but also cuts off quick drives they make out of that pressure b/c/o his lateral speed. It’s rare that a perimeter defender can both try to frustrate every dribble you make and also not let you drive at all.

Only downside with Simmons is that he’ll sometimes wait to turn on full intensity and relies a little too much on his superior physical abilities being able to make things happen. If he defended for 48 minutes like he does in the last 5, it’d be worth price of admission on its own.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#158 » by stitches » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:09 am

Not DPOY, but definitely should be in consideration for an All-D team:

Read on Twitter
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#159 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:34 am

stitches wrote:Not DPOY, but definitely should be in consideration for an All-D team:

Read on Twitter

Idk, whenever I watch him, he doesn't look that great defensively. Doesn't make many mistakes, but doesn't make stellar defensive plays either.

Him guarding opposing wings a lot is because he's the best wing defender on the team (which is not amazing if your competition are Bogdanovic and Jingles) and because he's asked only to be a spot up shooter offensively, so he has more energy to play defense than guys like Bogdanovic or Mitchell. But how successful is he really at defending in a vacuum? I've seen him get overpowered by stronger wings and crossed by quicker wings a lot.

I think he's just a slightly above average defender if an average defensive center plays in a lineup with him, but he benefits a lot from the Gobert effect for sure.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#160 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:36 am

This not even a question this season...
Give it back to Mr.Rudy already

Return to The General Board