Pau Gasol signing with FC Barcelona at age 40

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

edmrex
Ballboy
And1: 8

Pau Gasol signing with FC Barcelona at age 40 

Post#1 » by edmrex » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:18 pm

Pau Gasol at age 40 is signing a contract to play at Barcelona. Reports say that he is signing to get in shape for the olympics. Interesting to see if he has anything left in the tank.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,713

Re: Pau Gasol signing with FC Barcelona at age 40 

Post#2 » by UcanUwill » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:22 pm

How much more help does Sharas need? That team is STACKED. That said, awesome, I doubt he plays a ton, but it will be interesting.
KodiakBear
Sixth Man
And1: 2,042

Post#3 » by KodiakBear » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:22 pm

Good for him. If your body can handle it, why not play as long as you can? You have the rest of your life to sit on a beach in La Concha.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,214

Post#4 » by lambchop » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:21 pm

I read reports that he'll be playing for free. Not sure if there is any truth to that though hahah
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
jptremblay
Rookie
And1: 1,215

Post#5 » by jptremblay » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:34 pm

He can still dominate in Europe, and there isn't defensive 3 seconds in Fiba, so he will be fine at defense.
Yes he hasn't played in 2 years, but he still has the size and basketball hability to score easy in the paint.
Also his last year with Spurs and Milwaukee he had foot problems that bothered him, so I even expect a better Gasol than 2 years ago.
38 year old Gasol had 0 athleticisim, so is not like he could be worse.
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#6 » by Goudelock » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:26 pm

UcanUwill wrote:How much more help does Sharas need? That team is STACKED. That said, awesome, I doubt he plays a ton, but it will be interesting.

The ten minutes a game of him flawlessly hitting cutters from the high post is going to be so much fun :lol:
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,161

Post#7 » by skones » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:50 pm

jptremblay wrote:He can still dominate in Europe, and there isn't defensive 3 seconds in Fiba, so he will be fine at defense.
Yes he hasn't played in 2 years, but he still has the size and basketball hability to score easy in the paint.
Also his last year with Spurs and Milwaukee he had foot problems that bothered him, so I even expect a better Gasol than 2 years ago.

Lol, no he can't. You're either not giving the quality of play the credit it deserves or giving Gasol waaaaaay too much credit for how he looked at the end of his NBA career.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#8 » by lars_rosenberg » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:54 pm

skones wrote:
jptremblay wrote:He can still dominate in Europe, and there isn't defensive 3 seconds in Fiba, so he will be fine at defense.

Lol, no he can't. You're either not giving the quality of play the credit it deserves or giving Gasol waaaaaay too much credit for how he looked at the end of his NBA career.
He won't dominate, but his lack of athleticism is going to be less important.
His skills are probably still good enough to make him a serviceable player even at 40. Provided he's going to be in shape.
jptremblay
Rookie

Post#9 » by jptremblay » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:58 pm

skones wrote:

Pau Gasol in FIBA was unstoppable his whole carrer, and I'm not talking 10 years ago, just 5 years ago he was still at that level. Pau Gasol in his last healthy season scored 10 points per game in limited minutes in a decent team. If now is healthy, he could still put high numbers in Europe with more rest between games.
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.
skones
RealGM

Post#10 » by skones » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:11 pm

jptremblay wrote:
skones wrote:

Pau Gasol in FIBA was unstoppable his whole carrer, and I'm not talking 10 years ago, just 5 years ago he was still at that level. Pau Gasol in his last healthy season scored 10 points per game in limited minutes in a decent team. If now is healthy, he could still put high numbers in Europe with more rest between games.

I'm not sure you understand how long 5 years is when it comes to basketball and how ridiculous that sounds.
jptremblay
Rookie

Post#11 » by jptremblay » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:16 pm

skones wrote:
jptremblay wrote:
skones wrote:

I'm not sure you understand how long 5 years is when it comes to basketball and how ridiculous that sounds.

I'm not sure you understand correctly what I wrote...I said he was unstoppable 5 years ago, not now. Now I said he could still dominate, not that he is gonna do it sure.

If he is healthy and in shape, there's anyone in Europe with his size and skill.
skones
RealGM

Post#12 » by skones » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:19 pm

jptremblay wrote:
skones wrote:
jptremblay wrote:Pau Gasol in FIBA was unstoppable his whole carrer, and I'm not talking 10 years ago, just 5 years ago he was still at that level. Pau Gasol in his last healthy season scored 10 points per game in limited minutes in a decent team. If now is healthy, he could still put high numbers in Europe with more rest between games.

I'm not sure you understand correctly what I wrote...I said he was unstoppable 5 years ago, not now. Now I said he could still dominate, not that he is gonna do it sure.

If he is healthy and in shape, there's anyone in Europe with his size and skill.

I mean, I'm not sure why you would mention 5 years ago if you didn't believe it was some form of evidence to your point. It seems your "I said he could, not that he will" is backtracking and now building in an excuse for yourself when he doesn't.
jptremblay
Rookie

Post#13 » by jptremblay » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:50 pm

skones wrote:
jptremblay wrote:
skones wrote:

I mean, I'm not sure why you would mention 5 years ago if you didn't believe it was some form of evidence to your point. It seems your "I said he could, not that he will" is backtracking and now building in an excuse for yourself when he doesn't.

I don't need any excuse, perhaps you should read properly my comment. I said he 'can' dominate, which express a possibility, not a prediction.
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,134

Post#14 » by Hellcrooner » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:44 pm

Pau denies the news in his twatter...
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,713

Post#15 » by UcanUwill » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:08 pm

jptremblay wrote:
skones wrote:

Barca has Brandon Davies, one of the best defensive Cs in the EUroleague, and Saras loves defense. They let Ante Tomic go, who all his life was a cheap Pau knock off, but he still had ton in the tank, but he wasnt needed. I mean Pau is a legend, but I am not sure about the fit here.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,297

Post#16 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:03 pm

That's pretty cool. Hope he plays well.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,420

Post#17 » by Big J » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:37 am

I mean, he was getting owned by Blake Griffin 10 years ago, and look at Blake now... it ain't gonna be pretty folks.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Post#18 » by ThatBoyNick » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:00 am

Luis Scola is still balling at 40 in Italy. Not sure what level the team is don't know the Euroleague very well.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#19 » by JN61 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:15 am

lambchop wrote:I read reports that he'll be playing for free. Not sure if there is any truth to that though hahah

Why not and it's more common than one might think. There has been few local players in my country (that I personally know of) that have played in local teams where they grew up in their last few years. Often for free (in lesser leagues where people still get paid small amounts).
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,309

Post#20 » by Nuntius » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:21 am

ThatBoyNick wrote:Luis Scola is still balling at 40 in Italy. Not sure what level the team is don't know the Euroleague very well.

Varese is not a EuroLeague team. Not right now at least. They used to be a EuroLeague team and they were pretty dominant throughout the 70s. Starting from the 69-70 season and up until the 78-79 season, they made the Finals every single year. They won the title 5 times and they came in second 5 times. So, yeah, they were dominant back then but they aren't that kind of team right now. They did compete in the EuroLeague in 13-14 but they lost in the qualifying round and they were unable to make the group stage.

They do compete in the highest tier of the Italian league system (called Lega Basket Serie A) but they aren't a particularly strong team over there. They usually finish on the mid-to-lower half of the table and they are currently facing relegation as they are at the bottom of the table (well, technically they are second to last since Virtus Roma has already been disqualified but the last two teams are relegated anyway so it doesn't change anything).

PS: I just want to clarify that I'm not an expert in the Italian league. I did google stuff like Varese's current standing. I started this post with the intention of clarifying that Varese is not a EuroLeague team anymore and it went from there. If we have any resident Italian fans in here or anyone else who knows the Italian league better than I do, then feel free to correct me :)
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch

Return to The General Board