ImageImageImage

Activity in trade talks until the trade deadline

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

How aggresive should Dallas be on the trade market until the trade deadline (March 25th)?

1 - Completely passive (i.e., no discussions, nobody is made available in trade talks)
No votes
15%
15%
19%
5 - Completely aggressive (i.e., everyone except for Luka is made available in trade talks)
50%

Total votes: 26

Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,980

Re: Activity in trade talks until the trade deadline 

Post#21 » by Apz » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:04 am

Bluelabel24 wrote:what about this rumor?

Dallas Mavericks Receive: F Kevin Love, F Dylan Windler
Cleveland Cavaliers Receive: C James Johnson, G Tim Hardaway Jr, DAL 2021 2nd Round Pick, DAL 2022 1st Round Pick

for that package id prefer Kevin Love over Drummond.. Love is still a pretty good rebounder ofc hes no drummond, but that floor spacing would help a lot

Why on earth would mavs pay for love? He is a big negative. THJ is the best pkayer in that trade. Eatibg 30m of useless mobey each year for the next 3 is an unprotected first for each year. Add to that that it cant even be rumour, just someone without a clue that put things together and considering how it looks a clueless cavs fan since everyone that is a mavs fan know we owe 21 and 23 to knicks so cant trade 22. First tradeable atm is 27 due protections.

3 unprotected cav firsts, love for johbson and powell and I still would hesitate cause its 3 years that very well might make luka leave. Cant win with 30m deadmoney on the books
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#22 » by Mike lorenzo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:41 pm

no KLove (no incentives) and less for THJ (our n2 day today) ... we are just a team under construction. Go after Gordon or Wood in the trade. in FA Robinson or Trent .. young boys with high potential, to have long term. Now I would look at Bjelica / Ellington or Ilyasova who is free. do not spend assets, to die on the shore. the future may be wonderful ... we don't spoil it
1+1=11
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#23 » by Mike lorenzo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:43 pm

no KLove (no incentives) and less for THJ (our n2 day today) ... we are just a team under construction. Go after Gordon or Wood in the trade. in FA Robinson or Trent .. young boys with high potential, to have long term. Now I would look at Bjelica / Ellington or Ilyasova who is free. do not spend assets, to die on the shore. the future may be wonderful ... we don't spoil it
1+1=11
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#24 » by JD45 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:56 pm

Bluelabel24 wrote:what about this rumor?

Dallas Mavericks Receive: F Kevin Love, F Dylan Windler
Cleveland Cavaliers Receive: C James Johnson, G Tim Hardaway Jr, DAL 2021 2nd Round Pick, DAL 2022 1st Round Pick

for that package id prefer Kevin Love over Drummond.. Love is still a pretty good rebounder ofc hes no drummond, but that floor spacing would help a lot

The source of that rumor must be a Cavs fan post.

The Mavs can't trade that 2022 1st anyway. Maybe they meant a Cleveland 1st going to the Mavs. If there was no protection, I could see the Mavs doing the deal.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#25 » by HMFFL » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:27 am

Coach Carlisle thinks Dallas will be active before trade deadline

On @1053thefan just now, Rick Carlisle said he doesn't see a big man/rebounder as a pressing trade-deadline pursuit, but "You know Mark and Donnie. These guys are gunslingers. They're riverboat gamblers, and they're ready to talk about anything that would get the team better."

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2021/02/19/mavericks-rick-carlisle-trade-deadline/amp/

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#26 » by Teffer10 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:19 pm

HMFFL wrote:Coach Carlisle thinks Dallas will be active before trade deadline

On @1053thefan just now, Rick Carlisle said he doesn't see a big man/rebounder as a pressing trade-deadline pursuit, but "You know Mark and Donnie. These guys are gunslingers. They're riverboat gamblers, and they're ready to talk about anything that would get the team better."

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2021/02/19/mavericks-rick-carlisle-trade-deadline/amp/

I understand why people might want Drummond to improve some of our frontcourt woes but I don't see the Mavs FO and Rick wanting any part of him on this team.
Rick isn't going to completely change his system to accommodate a role player (at best) to address one issue when there are several other issues as well.

I'm a little surprised Nikola Vucevic's name hasn't come up more as a potential trade target. Doesn't necessarily solve all of our problems but seems to fit our system and would at least improve rebounding. I know his name came up a quite a bit when he was a FA. Seems like he'd be a better target than Drummond.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,337

Post#27 » by Mavrelous » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:35 pm

He's much more expensive, Drummond you can have for Johnson+Boban basically, and he's expiring...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#28 » by dirkforpres » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:20 pm

If Rick truly believes that rebounding isn’t a pressing issue, then the Mavs are in deeper s*** than I thought. I swear it feels like he doesn’t even watch the games he’s “coaching”.

Every night we get murdered in the paint
FIRE JASON KIDD
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,980

Post#29 » by Apz » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:30 pm

And u think someobe that might be the worst defender on the team and worst offensive would solve that, we know, we know u git some kibd of crush ob drummond but we would be killed every night
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#30 » by dirkforpres » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:44 pm

Apz wrote:And u think someobe that might be the worst defender on the team and worst offensive would solve that, we know, we know u git some kibd of crush ob drummond but we would be killed every night

As opposed to every other night? Literally any other big they can bring in is better than a Powell/WCS/Boban trio.

The sooner this front office actually values the C position, the sooner they can get back to competing for a title.

Sorry that doesn’t fit into your weird plan to continue treading water with a lineup that doesn’t work
FIRE JASON KIDD
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#31 » by Teffer10 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:08 pm

KhalilS wrote:He's much more expensive, Drummond you can have for Johnson+Boban basically, and he's expiring...

I understand your point but trading two guys who don't get any PT for a guy Rick would never play is basically a net nothing.
And even if RC played him, he'd only take WCS's role which would negatively affect our defense. The improvement in rebounding would be nullified by the decrease in defense.

I honestly don't see where adding Drummond would make a difference.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#32 » by Mavrelous » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:47 pm

I don't think he's a guaranteed success, but he's for free basically and there are 30 minutes of big man missing in the rotation even w/o KP being injured, at any rate, it's a moot point, management is clearly not interested, otherwise it would've already happened.
I'm not big on KP's fit, he needs a strong 4 next to him and Mavs don't have that, I would've went for KP/Powell for Adams/Bledsoe/Ball + (some of) Bucks picks, KP is a great fit in the Pels, Adams is good fit next to Luka, and it keeps the cap situation in tact, while adding promising picks. but it depends how managemt view KP.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Post#33 » by boogiezen » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:50 pm

Dallas needs a guy who can rebound and play defense inside. And oh they brought Jrich for perimeter defense and it's non existent.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#34 » by Teffer10 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:16 pm

boogiezen wrote:Dallas needs a guy who can rebound and play defense inside. And oh they brought Jrich for perimeter defense and it's non existent.

Agree....we need Chandler and Marion clones and we'd definitely be championship material.
Many teams are starving for a superstar but we have that and only need the proper complementary players.
Donnie has achieved the most difficult part of building a contender so I don't understand why it seems to be like building pyramids to complete this thing....especially when that star is still on a rookie contract.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#35 » by Teffer10 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:35 pm

KhalilS wrote:I don't think he's a guaranteed success, but he's for free basically and there are 30 minutes of big man missing in the rotation even w/o KP being injured, at any rate, it's a moot point, management is clearly not interested, otherwise it would've already happened.
I'm not big on KP's fit, he needs a strong 4 next to him and Mavs don't have that, I would've went for KP/Powell for Adams/Bledsoe/Ball + (some of) Bucks picks, KP is a great fit in the Pels, Adams is good fit next to Luka, and it keeps the cap situation in tact, while adding promising picks. but it depends how managemt view KP.

You and I think Adams is a good fit next to Luka but Rick certainly doesn't see it that way.
KP is a RC dream but if he is playing 30ft from the basket most of the time we are basically a centerless team.
I like the KP/Powell for Adams/Bledsoe/Ball idea BTW.

KP presents a problem because he isn't a center but isn't quick enough to guard PFs. We basically need a better version of Maxi for us to be any kind of contender. If we don't put some kind of size and strength next to KP who can somewhat guard the perimeter, we might as well expect the same results.

What do you think about KP/THJ/Johnson for Vuc/Gordon/Fourier?
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#36 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:00 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#37 » by ozwizard8 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:19 am

dirkforpres wrote:

If Rick truly believes that rebounding isn’t a pressing issue, then the Mavs are in deeper s*** than I thought. I swear it feels like he doesn’t even watch the games he’s “coaching”.

What do you expect him to say? We suck at rebounding because KP is trash and Maxi/DFS/Powell are subpar rebounders.
Great reply from Rick. You do not show your hand before a trade.

In general, I don't think there is a magical trade waiting to happen that will improve Mavs significantly. When was the last time a desperation trade helped a team to become a contender? A trade without giving up assets does not move the needle and deprive your assets/cap space for the next years. Mavs can trade picks and take on huge contracts to get some role players and Doncic would be happier to win 52 games instead of 45 games this year. Instead of the 8th seed, it would be better to finish at 5th-6th. But what about 2 years from now? 52W and 2nd round playoff exit would create more upset and desire to leave for Doncic than this year's underachieving season. So I would say, protect your assets, cap space flexibility for making bolder moves in 21 FA and the next two seasons.

Reasonable plan (most likely): This year can only be saved partially. Trading Powell-Johnson-2nd round pick for Drummond. Trying to win 2-3 more games with his contribution. Or Cousins buyout somehow ending up in Dallas. Trade Richardson/Johnson expirings for Kuzma or worse? Some very low-risk try-outs.

Bold plan (depends on trade market): Try to save this year meanwhile thinking mid-term success. Gordon/PorterJr are two athletic wing players that might be available for picks and fillers. Mavs can take a shot for this. Trade 1st picks and swaps, add Brunson etc and try to couple it with the Doncic-KP duo.

Knicks Style : Trade for a veteran player for win-now. Trade KP and first-rounders and get Vucevic, Griffin or Bertans or worse.

Bargain Deal (needs too much luck): You find a borderline all-star level player wants out, the team does not want to pay. Trade him for some role players, relatively low-value assets (Rich-DFS-WCS-THJ-rookies-1st rounders). Harden OKC trade was the biggest example and the second one was Kawhi-Toronto. I guess you can't get that lucky to trade for Bradley Beal for role players and late 1st picks. Perhaps, Myles Turner would be available for cheap like this offseason.

All in : Believe in KP's health and sell all future for a 3rd star. This time you trade all 1st rounders and 4 pick swaps for Beal/Derozan or sth like that.

I think Mavs should wait and see how KP thing play out. Try your chances after the offseason in FA. Long shot but maybe Clippers fail miserably again and Kawhi opts out? Or Giannis asking for trade? 76ers willing to trade B.Simmons for cheap?

In Feb 2020, I was thinking KP-Doncic duo are simply great. Both under 25 years old should stay together. Honestly, I must admit that after the offseason and the new KP injury/return, I am less optimistic. I am no longer opposed to KP trade scenarios. However, I would play him out and let him find his rhythm and value before trading. If KP somehow returns his old forms and perhaps demanding for a bigger role/more ball then Mavs FO can trade him for another unsettled star(KAT) in offseason.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#38 » by dirkforpres » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:42 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

What do you expect him to say? We suck at rebounding because KP is trash and Maxi/DFS/Powell are subpar rebounders.

In general, I don't think there is a magical trade waiting to happen that will improve Mavs significantly. When was the last time a desperation trade helped a team to become a contender? A trade without giving up assets does not move the needle and deprive your assets/cap space for the next years. Mavs can trade picks and take on huge contracts to get some role players and Doncic would be happier to win 52 games instead of 45 games this year. Instead of the 8th seed, it would be better to finish at 5th-6th. But what about 2 years from now? 52W and 2nd round playoff exit would create more upset and desire to leave for Doncic than this year's underachieving season. So I would say, protect your assets, cap space flexibility for making bolder moves in 21 FA and the next two seasons.

Reasonable plan (most likely): This year can only be saved partially. Trading Powell-Johnson-2nd round pick for Drummond. Trying to win 2-3 more games with his contribution. Or Cousins buyout somehow ending up in Dallas. Trade Richardson/Johnson expirings for Kuzma or worse? Some very low-risk try-outs.

Bold plan (depends on trade market): Try to save this year meanwhile thinking mid-term success. Gordon/PorterJr are two athletic wing players that might be available for picks and fillers. Mavs can take a shot for this. Trade 1st picks and swaps, add Brunson etc and try to couple it with the Doncic-KP duo.

Knicks Style : Trade for a veteran player for win-now. Trade KP and first-rounders and get Vucevic, Griffin or Bertans or worse.

Bargain Deal (needs too much luck): You find a borderline all-star level player wants out, the team does not want to pay. Trade him for some role players, relatively low-value assets (Rich-DFS-WCS-THJ-rookies-1st rounders). Harden OKC trade was the biggest example and the second one was Kawhi-Toronto. I guess you can't get that lucky to trade for Bradley Beal for role players and late 1st picks. Perhaps, Myles Turner would be available for cheap like this offseason.

All in : Believe in KP's health and sell all future for a 3rd star. This time you trade all 1st rounders and 4 pick swaps for Beal/Derozan or sth like that.

I think Mavs should wait and see how KP thing play out. Try your chances after the offseason in FA. Long shot but maybe Clippers fail miserably again and Kawhi opts out? Or Giannis asking for trade? 76ers willing to trade B.Simmons for cheap?

In Feb 2020, I was thinking KP-Doncic duo are simply great. Both under 25 years old should stay together. Honestly, I must admit that after the offseason and the new KP injury/return, I am less optimistic. I am no longer opposed to KP trade scenarios. However, I would play him out and let him find his rhythm and value before trading. If KP somehow returns his old forms and perhaps demanding for a bigger role/more ball then Mavs FO can trade him for another unsettled star(KAT) in offseason.

He’s talking to the fans and media like we are idiots. Everyone and anyone can tell that missed 3s and lack of rebounding are why this team is on the outside looking in. Just be real and say we would like to see improvements in both areas. Is that really that bold of a statement?
FIRE JASON KIDD
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#39 » by Mavrelous » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:50 am

Teffer10 wrote:
KhalilS wrote:I don't think he's a guaranteed success, but he's for free basically and there are 30 minutes of big man missing in the rotation even w/o KP being injured, at any rate, it's a moot point, management is clearly not interested, otherwise it would've already happened.

You and I think Adams is a good fit next to Luka but Rick certainly doesn't see it that way.
KP is a RC dream but if he is playing 30ft from the basket most of the time we are basically a centerless team.
I like the KP/Powell for Adams/Bledsoe/Ball idea BTW.

KP presents a problem because he isn't a center but isn't quick enough to guard PFs. We basically need a better version of Maxi for us to be any kind of contender. If we don't put some kind of size and strength next to KP who can somewhat guard the perimeter, we might as well expect the same results.

What do you think about KP/THJ/Johnson for Vuc/Gordon/Fourier?

I don't think Orlando would go for it.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#40 » by ozwizard8 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:53 am

dirkforpres wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

He’s talking to the fans and media like we are idiots. Everyone and anyone can tell that missed 3s and lack of rebounding are why this team is on the outside looking in. Just be real and say we would like to see improvements in both areas. Is that really that bold of a statement?

Some of the fans and media members are acting like idiots for sure but I can understand your concern. However, what he was asked about the necessity of trade.
I think Carlisle would not hesitate to address the shortcoming of teams performance. Mavs are not doing a good job at rebounding.
As a coach, he should try to improve the rebounding. He should not ask trades publicly. I don't think it makes sense for player morale, team chemistry. It won't help for Front Office either. Rick should only talk this privately with FO during a season. If I was a GM, I would not like my coach to call me out for a trade publicly. Because you might not be able to find a trade then you'd get the backlash, pressure.

At the end of the season, before draft/FA, Carlisle can talk about that without worrying about the players or trade talks.

Return to Dallas Mavericks